ADVERTISEMENT

Full Circle

myboyblue62

Oct 30, 2016
Being around a very long time, I've come full circle.
Before state championships we played for "League Titles"
I longed for teams to have a chance to compete for STATES.
Now with all of what's out there. I won't go into that, enough said already!
I wish we could go back to PCL champs, Central League Champs, Sub One etc. etc. etc.
Play a NON league, or crosstown rival, or just a game we would like to see on thanksgiving day and be done with it.
Will we still have issues? Of course we will! To this extreme, I doubt it.
Old man out!

I wish we could go back to PCL champs, Central League Champs, Sub One etc. etc. etc.
Play a NON league, or crosstown rival, or just a game we would like to see on thanksgiving day and be done with it.
Old man out!
The grass always looks greener ...

I understand and to some extent share your view, but the world has changed too much to be able to go all the way back. Most of the Thanksgiving games have been wilting for decades (and not just because of the PIAA playoffs). Thanksgiving games--and going to them (often for 10:00am kickoffs) was a habit, but that habit has been broken.

As for the PPL and the PCL, when it comes to football at least they're not really leagues anymore but umbrella organizations. The schools differ too much in size and nature for there to be a single league in each. Now basketball is a different story, at least in the PCL. But in basketball all you need is a small handful of kids which means small schools (e.g. N-G) can easily compete with the biggest.

I was excited when playoffs started, not because who had the best teams, but because of regions. around the state football in the Se. part of the state was looked down on. The west was king, mid state, coal region kids were tough, Lehigh Valley football with Easton superior. Now after almost 30 years that is not true.
Now, its about finding a schedule where you can win 6 games and make the playoffs and feel good even knowing you never have a chance of going to Hershey. What i now miss is non-league games among good teams. Berwick/Glen Mills, Downingtown vs Ryan, Acc, Malvern Prep, CB West vs Cumberland Valley, Ohara, Freedom, Allen, Conestoga, NP vs Easton, Damatha vs Mccaskey , CB. East vs laSalle,Whithall, Holy Cross of NJ, and let not forget Egan vs Brick,NJ. for you old guys, and many more. Match ups that will never be played unless they meet in the playoffs. Rivalry games no longer played at Thanksgiving because of the weather, but no problem going longer with the playoffs. Playing teams in the playoffs who you met during the regular season, Prep vs Lasalle. Yes things change but i am not sure for the better. Next year we will be the same teams playing at the end of the year with the others able to say they made the playoffs.

Reactions: lilromeo
Still some cool thanksgiving day games. Back in the day my favorite was northeast vs central. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to wake up for northeast vs central

With the advent of SUPER teams, one day down the road of course, someone will decide to drop out of the PIAA and just play within their league.
The Inter-Ac is still playing old school football. Most games are on Saturday afternoon for gods sake. Ha!
They have a champion each year with very good players. Players who, without a state championship on their resume, still go to very good college programs.

Thanksgiving day games were and are pretty awesome. My point is more, Where are we headed now?
Pub vs Private? Boundary vs Non Boundry?
Seperate? Together?
It's not just Pa. There are stories of schools forfeiting games or choosing to not play in playoff games every year to some degree. I remember in delco when Glen Mills was loaded and Interboro forfeit the game to keep his team healthy for the remainder of the season that year.
Some of this years games could have been forfeits as they were mercy ruled anyway. Sad to see either way.

However, I do prefer the Eagles to win by 40 every game so my heart doesn't explode.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Old man out!
The crowds are a absolute joke. No a big crowd for any of the games. My favorite two games for big crowds were Aliquippa versus Berwick and Ridley versus North Allegheney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT