ADVERTISEMENT

Erie prep names new head football coach

who the hell is Erie Prep?
BP, you seem to have a problem with or object to the term "Erie Prep". I've often heard of it called that in District-1 talking sports with the guys (especially hoops playoffs) and the Pittsburgh area visiting relatives/spending time with friends in Coraopolis and Fox Chapel.
In Erie you say Prep, they know you mean ECP. Here in SE PA, you say Prep, most know you mean SJP not Malvern. What's the big deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: new2pa
BP, you seem to have a problem with or object to the term "Erie Prep". I've often heard of it called that in District-1 talking sports with the guys (especially hoops playoffs) and the Pittsburgh area visiting relatives/spending time with friends in Coraopolis and Fox Chapel.
In Erie you say Prep, they know you mean ECP. Here in SE PA, you say Prep, most know you mean SJP not Malvern. What's the big deal?
In Erie we call it just prep but when you say prep people think you're referring to st Joe's prep. Most people around the state call it Erie prep. I think it's comical his issue with calling "prep" Erie prep. I don't understand it myself. Maybe Bradleypitt can explain.

Reactions: Stalker
In Erie we call it just prep but when you say prep people think you're referring to st Joe's prep. Most people around the state call it Erie prep. I think it's comical his issue with calling "prep" Erie prep. I don't understand it myself. Maybe Bradleypitt can explain.
the schools name is "Cathedral Prep"

are you sure you graduated there?

it is only referred to as "Erie" by people not from Erie

the schools name is "Cathedral Prep"

are you sure you graduated there?
I graduated from Erie prep in the 90s along with 2 of my brothers. My dad and all my uncles graduated from Erie prep too. Youre wrong we call it just prep but everyone else in the state we are known as Erie prep. Obviously others on this board agree with me. Why don't you just stick to getting to the bottom of the steroid scandal you said is going on at central valley.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I graduated from Erie prep in the 90s along with 2 of my brothers. My dad and all my uncles graduated from Erie prep too. Youre wrong we call it just prep but everyone else in the state we are known as Erie prep. Obviously others on this board agree with me. Why don't you just stick to getting to the bottom of the steroid scandal you said is going on at central valley.
it will be easier for me to get to the bottom of that steroid scandal then to convince you and your entire family that you have been wrong for your entire lives HAHA

Probably wondering why he didn't take a safety in the 1999 championship game.
Ha!...and the clown from Seattle throwing on the 1 inch line with the best back in the league (and the rest of us!) going....Huh?

Probably wondering why he didn't take a safety in the 1999 championship game.
Lol true, but no one was thinking take a safety while the game was going on. He did get his revenge the following year along with 5 other state title rings. He's going to be hard to replace. I know their new coach was on that 99 team and started for mercyhurst university for 3 years as a DE. He's been a long time assistant and head coach. I think he'll do well but he has big expectations at a program like that and big shoes to fill.

Haus, you guys look absolutely stacked this year. Stacked.....returning all skill and defense from an 11-2 team. Big concern looks like the margin in 42-7 loss to Imhotep but little coaching wise with in-house promotion. OH-NY schedule looks ok; Canisius, Benedictine and Solon home but AB Hoban away and St. Francis.

Reactions: lilromeo
Haus, you guys look absolutely stacked this year. Stacked.....returning all skill and defense from an 11-2 team. Big concern looks like the margin in 42-7 loss to Imhotep but little coaching wise with in-house promotion. OH-NY schedule looks ok; Canisius, Benedictine and Solon home but AB Hoban away and St. Francis.
Stalker theyll be good. Theyll have a 2 year starter back at qb in Carter Barnes and a stud DB in wakeem paige. They also have a big tackle whos getting some D1 looks. They'll beat Erie high and McDowell after a two year slump against them but the wpial is always stacked in 5A so that might be as far as they get. Theyll be good but not anything near the caliber of the 2000 or 2017 teams.

Haus, you guys are 6A this year right? No appeals?
No they won thier appeal and they are staying 5A which is good. They are a 4A school and I think competing at 6A would be to much for them. Stalk who's going to be the team to beat in district 11 this year?

No they won thier appeal and they are staying 5A which is good. They are a 4A school and I think competing at 6A would be to much for them. Stalk who's going to be the team to beat in district 11 this year?
Ok thanks and good for them. They should make a run. D3 is looking pretty beat up at 5A but you never know what may emerge.
About D-11, I have an opinion but defer to Rover who has that covered in spades. Will say I think Allentown CC can be an exciting team this year.
More recently I've concentrated on Central PA districts (3 thru 9 minus 7 and 8) and D-3 specifically as it's home turf, and a big sprawling district with a pile of good teams spread throughout the classifications. That district alone like D7 will keep you busy trying to keep up!

Ok thanks and good for them. They should make a run. D3 is looking pretty beat up at 5A but you never know what may emerge.
About D-11, I have an opinion but defer to Rover who has that covered in spades. Will say I think Allentown CC can be an exciting team this year.
More recently I've concentrated on Central PA districts (3 thru 9 minus 7 and 8) and D-3 specifically as it's home turf, and a big sprawling district with a pile of good teams spread throughout the classifications. That district alone like D7 will keep you busy trying to keep up!
[/QUO
I meant district 3. I'm glad preps 5A because I believe mckdevitt will have everyone back from last years runner up team? I think it's a safe to say that them and the quips will be the top 2 teams again in 4A.

Haus it could be Quips and McD again but as a reminder 4A is/has been one of the more competitive classes in the state looking at TJ, McKeesport, Belle Vernon, Bonner Prendie, Allen CC, Jersey Shore, etc....to name a few, especially McKeesport.

Still thinking we have 3, possibly 4 to 5 Class-6A entries in Harrisburg, McDevitt and Steel High. Also like Township a lot and Dallastown. But not a lot of change I know of since last write up 2 months ago. Still digging.

6A is somewhat open with much expected from Manheim Township's young group that was 6-5 last year but talented. Much expected by me. Who knows what the "experts" come up with. Wilson as always is a player with a few outstanding athletes and great coach as shown last year where they could, perhaps should have defeated Harrisburg in playoffs. Cumberland Valley will be much improved with Carlisle having some fine athletes from a 7-4 team. York teams like William Penn and especially Dallastown will compete with Dtown a nice surprise.

5A got the crap beat out of it per grads but has historically been a strong classification. Governor Mifflin missed their opportunity last year with a unique team. But with Exeter, Warwick, Manheim Central, Ship and GM still around someone will emerge with a strong entry.

4A should be McDevitt’s to lose. But we said that last year about Gov Mif. Wyomissing is “up” this year but 2 straight finals appearances have thinned them out.

3A Looking weak especially with Wyo penalized per success formula. Nothing like being penalized because you’re successful. That’ll teach em!

2A is York Catholic with good core, nice duel Qb.

1A is all about Steelton Highspire with a great Qb and supporting cast.

Haus it could be Quips and McD again but as a reminder 4A is/has been one of the more competitive classes in the state looking at TJ, McKeesport, Belle Vernon, Bonner Prendie, Allen CC, Jersey Shore, etc....to name a few, especially McKeesport.

Still thinking we have 3, possibly 4 to 5 Class-6A entries in Harrisburg, McDevitt and Steel High. Also like Township a lot and Dallastown. But not a lot of change I know of since last write up 2 months ago. Still digging.

6A is somewhat open with much expected from Manheim Township's young group that was 6-5 last year but talented. Much expected by me. Who knows what the "experts" come up with. Wilson as always is a player with a few outstanding athletes and great coach as shown last year where they could, perhaps should have defeated Harrisburg in playoffs. Cumberland Valley will be much improved with Carlisle having some fine athletes from a 7-4 team. York teams like William Penn and especially Dallastown will compete with Dtown a nice surprise.

5A got the crap beat out of it per grads but has historically been a strong classification. Governor Mifflin missed their opportunity last year with a unique team. But with Exeter, Warwick, Manheim Central, Ship and GM still around someone will emerge with a strong entry.

4A should be McDevitt’s to lose. But we said that last year about Gov Mif. Wyomissing is “up” this year but 2 straight finals appearances have thinned them out.

3A Looking weak especially with Wyo penalized per success formula. Nothing like being penalized because you’re successful. That’ll teach em!

Wyo isn’t moved up, they won their appeal.

Stalk it seems every year in 5A district 3 has a beast team that gets upset. Last year I was looking forward to governor Mifflin and Imhotep and then 2017 no one was stopping Harrisburg and wood from making it to Hershey.

Wyo isn’t moved up, they won their appeal.
Thanks wcu. I missed that (Reading Eagle January article) bouncing up and down the coast this year. I realize it's a new rule but it needs tweaked, especially for teams like Aliquippa already playing up.
And Berks Catholic adjusted (got smart) returning to 3A after playing up to 4A voluntarily.
One of my strongest objections is the inability to sanction 6A teams that have no higher class to be bumped to, meaning the rule only impacts Class 1A through 5A.

Last edited:
Reactions: wcu77manu
Thanks wcu. I missed that (Reading Eagle January article) bouncing up and down the coast this year. I realize it's a new rule but it needs tweaked, especially for teams like Aliquippa already playing up.
And Berks Catholic adjusted (got smart) returning to 3A after playing up to 4A voluntarily.
One of my strongest objections is the inability to sanction 6A teams that have no higher class to be bumped to, meaning the rule only impacts Class 1A through 5A.
Stalk Aliquippa won thier appeal this year. They weren't forced up but you are correct in that the successful/transfer rule doesn't affect 6A schools what's so ever.

Stalk Aliquippa won thier appeal this year. They weren't forced up but you are correct in that the successful/transfer rule doesn't affect 6A schools what's so ever.
Was talking about Quips moving up previously and voluntarily. Thx. And it is curious why teams aren't throwing a fit about 6A teams getting a pass. The policy is so EVIDENTLY flawed but that's what I've come to expect from the PIAA over the years.

About 5A in D3, those "upsets" are annoying. Saw Harrisburg lose to Gov Mif in 17 and they had no clue how to manage the Midline Veer/Option. No clue. Rained all game with Isaac Ruoss, maybe 6-1 215 shredding them for +180, team near 250. They wore Harrisburg out, owned them from mid 2nd qtr on. No contest. Their OLine just dominated. Reading kids from that part of town are tough kids, no intimidation. It wasn't an upset tho the papers labelled it as that. BIG revenge game from Hburg whipping them pretty bad the preceding year.

And last year saw Exeter flip the script from getting destroyed by GM in reg sea conf game for the big upset in the rematch. Those conference rematches are the worse trying to avoid upsets!

Was talking about Quips moving up previously and voluntarily. Thx. And it is curious why teams aren't throwing a fit about 6A teams getting a pass. The policy is so EVIDENTLY flawed but that's what I've come to expect from the PIAA over the years.

About 5A in D3, those "upsets" are annoying. Saw Harrisburg lose to Gov Mif in 17 and they had no clue how to manage the Midline Veer/Option. No clue. Rained all game with Isaac Ruoss, maybe 6-1 215 shredding them for +180, team near 250. They wore Harrisburg out, owned them from mid 2nd qtr on. No contest. Their OLine just dominated. Reading kids from that part of town are tough kids, no intimidation. It wasn't an upset tho the papers labelled it as that. BIG revenge game from Hburg whipping them pretty bad the preceding year.

And last year saw Exeter flip the script from getting destroyed by GM in reg sea conf game for the big upset in the rematch. Those conference rematches are the worse trying to avoid upsets!
Stalk there are some major holes in the new rule. How Aliquippa was forced up and southern Columbias was allowed to stay at 2A was beyond me. Plus 6A isn't affected. I'm all for the success formula, just look how competitive the championship games were but they definitely need some kinks worked out.

Hausmann, a major contingency of the success formula is the number of transfers per cycle. If a team doesn’t exceed the transfer limit, they are not moved up. Naming it a “success” formula was probably stupid on the PIAA’s part because it isn’t just success. Southern Columbia has never exceeded the transfer limit.

Hausmann, a major contingency of the success formula is the number of transfers per cycle. If a team doesn’t exceed the transfer limit, they are not moved up. Naming it a “success” formula was probably stupid on the PIAA’s part because it isn’t just success. Southern Columbia has never exceeded the ter limit.
Being a votech school makes southern Columbia a nonboundary school. They don't need the transfers because they bring in the
talent every year. This is a huge reason southern wins states every year. So to keep them at 2A is a huge flaw in the rule. I think they need to only make the transfer part of the formula apply to public schools and nonboundary school go by strictly success. I think the nonboundary schools in eastern pa has really hurt athletics in that part of the state. Look at the football powers out there. Imhotep, southern Columbia, sjp, la salle, wood, ect... You couldnt name me a public football power house on the eastern part of the state that is nonboundary.

Last edited:
I'm confused Haus....quoting you.
"You couldnt name me a public football power house on the eastern part of the state that is nonboundary.

You mean NOT nonboundary? ie....boundary schools?

** And I can't accept any system that has a policy supposedly geared towards creating a level playing field that doesn't sanction the largest schools....6A.... in the state. Is the PIAA making a morbid joke here since the only schools being sanctioned are the smaller schools. All schools should play up to 6A to make the IDIOTS address this.

Last edited:
"You couldnt name me a public football power house on the eastern part of the state that is nonboundary.

** And I can't accept any system that has a policy supposedly geared towards creating a level playing field that doesn't sanction the largest schools....6A.... in the state. Is the PIAA making a morbid joke here since the only schools being sanctioned are the smaller schools. All schools should play up to 6A to make the IDIOTS address this.
You are correct stalk I was referring to schools with no boundaries and this is coming from a cathedral prep grad and fan. I like the rule but they do need to come up with something for 6A and I don't have a solution myself. Do you have any suggestions?

This is draconian, but…. Since there is no 7A, ban them from playoffs for next 2 year cycle. Thinking about it…. That mirrors the rule for kids who transfer after sophomore year. So they have done that on an individual scale.

You are correct stalk I was referring to schools with no boundaries and this is coming from a cathedral prep grad and fan. I like the rule but they do need to come up with something for 6A and I don't have a solution myself. Do you have any suggestions?
That's what I thought Haus thanks. And no, I don't have a solution which adds to my angst. But if you're gonna bitch (re...me) you ought to have a solution. So, let's go with Erie Prep. Opps....strayed there for a moment.
Being serious, I'd drop the thing until you have a better solution! I like New's thoughts too.
A big part of me is in real opposition to penalizing a team for success. When a school has a good coach and success on the field, kids want to go there. I WANT my kid to go there if he/she wants to attend the St. Joe's, Erie Preps, Pitt CCs and McDevitts of the world. Why wouldn't you want the best for you children? Having said that, you have to allow North Penn, Ridley, et al the same advantages the non-boundary schools get. That's a whole other can of worms but it levels the field instead of perpetuating "big school" advantages the way the current rule does.

And with everyone being a non-boundary school ushering in new super powers perhaps at SJP's level (NPenn, Hburg, Freedom, Ridley etc), we'll then split them off into a 7A classification.

Last edited:

Stalk I do like News solution too. It's about the only thing you could do to 6A. Because of certain nonboundaries schools location allows for athletic powerhouses (sjp in football). I've allows said on the western part of the state if you opened a private school in beaver county or mercer county you'd have a couple more sjp's. Could you imagine pulling the best talent from Aliquippa, Beverfalls, and central valley or Farrell, Sharon, Wilmington, and the Youngstown area.

You could award a Public and Private school champ which would reflect the reality of the system as is without changing a thing.
Eg, last year's 6A "State" champ was Mount Lebanon. The Private School champ was St. Joe's. Give em credit for that. The year before (2020), St. Joe's was the "State" champ or overall champ, Central York was the Public School champ. That is in fact what occurred. Give them trophies to reflect it when necessary,

Your thoughts on a private school opening in Mercer or Beaver County forming potentially a mega power already exists in Mercer County....but in Hoops with Kennedy Catholic dominating the area and often the state with numerous trophies. And....doesn't that already exist in Pittsburgh at Central? But I get your point. It exists in Harrisburg at McDevitt with all the parts in place except the staff to get them over the hump. All else has been in place (close but no cigar) for years. YEARS!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT