ADVERTISEMENT

Easton Red Rovers 2018

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
While my Lehigh Valley wide threads are more analytical in nature, I recognize that I often devote way more words to my alma mater than the other (often more important and interesting) things going on in the Valley. So, this year I’m devoting a thread to park my more fan-like thoughts on the home team. They’re certainly not SJP or Pine-Richland in terms of contending for a state title. But it’s a traditionally strong program that’s undergoing a bit of an identify crisis and turbulence in the changing landscape of high school football. And while Alabama football is certainly more dominant, Tennessee is more interesting to write and surmise about. Train wrecks are kind of fun. If nothing else, this thread could be fun in a “my favorite team is killing me” sort of way. Or, it's just an exercise in pure vanity (not out of the question).

With all of that out of the way, Easton should be…something this year? Ten years ago, if you told me that Easton would have a pair of 300 pound linemen, with everybody on the offensive line 250+, a three year starter at running back, four three year starters on defense plus their all conference middle linebacker all returning, I would be waxing poetic about being the favorites in the Lehigh Valley. But, I have no idea what to expect with the new regime. As I’ve bitched about here before, last year, Easton returned 19 starters, had the best passing game in school history, and finished one game better than the year before, lost to Nazareth at home, and got outscored by a good but not great Parkland team 94-17 in their two meetings. Maybe they just weren’t very good. But expectations should have been a lot higher than what ended up being accomplished.

That said, it’s year two. Certainly, Steve Shiffert took some time to find his footing (though after a gangbusters first season where he went to the PIAA semifinals and lost 6-3 to CB West), missing district playoffs in 1994, 1996, 1997, and 1998 before going to finals seven times in the next eight years and advancing to another pair of state Final Four’s. Running a high school football program is tough, Jeff Braido is a salt of the Earth guy, and he deserves a shot at the job. My bitching will be kept to a minimum (starting…now).

I’m optimistic because I think the offensive line is going to be really good. Albert Gayle and Patrick Shupp are both three year starters, and Shupp at 6’4 315 is a Division I caliber guy. Gayle (6’0 255) is probably the better high school football player, and I think will be a really good Division II defensive lineman (he’s a stealth all state candidate on the defensive side of the ball). The other bookend is Elek Ferency, back for his second year as a starter after playing as the swing lineman as a sophomore. Ferency is 6’3 305, a state finalist in the shot put, and could really pop as a late bloomer. They’re also getting back Christian Miers at guard, a 6’5 250 junior who transferred from Easton to Notre Dame but has returned to his home school. They’ve got size to spare. If there is the physicality to match it, they’ll be able to slug it out with good football teams up front, something they’ve been lacking since the 2014 team that ran the table in the regular season. A lot of teams in the Valley return skill players and quarterbacks, but Easton has the most returning in terms of numbers and talent in the trenches.

Other observations from camp

-Nate Nimeh is going to be the guy at quarterback. He’s bulked up a bunch (5’11 185 after being listed at 160 as a junior) and will need to match the efficiency of his predecessor. This year I will be really looking for the influence of QB coach Mike Palos (who was the Valley’s first ever 2,000 yard single season passer under Bob Stem at Becahi and played quarterback at Lafayette) who did a great job with Scott Poulson last season. A lot of the gripes under the prior regime was the lack of a quarterbacks coach, and it looks like that may be remedied and then some.

-Even with Nimeh winning the job, the big talk at quarterback is freshman Peyton Cosover. He’ll be the varsity back up, and while he’s not quite ready for prime-time, he’s the most polished QB prospect Easton has had in a very long time.

-Every chance he gets, Braido has been hyping up senior running back Harold Reynolds. After a really good sophomore year (786 yards, 10 TDs), Reynolds disappeared last year as Easton abandoned the inside run game. He’s a two-year captain and clearly well respected by everybody in and around the program. He also could be a clock controlling back running behind that huge offensive front.

-Braido also seems high on the replacements at receiver. Mike Dunlap and Damion Smith are replacing 94 catches, 1,700 yards, and 21 touchdowns from Jake Herres and Eddie Olsen, but are both big (6’4 185 and 6’3 190) receivers who have the athleticism (particularly Dunlap, who also ran a 4.5 at the Blue/Gray combine in Philly last month) to cause problems on the outside. I actually don’t expect as much drop off as anticipated, though I wonder if gameplans will shift and they won’t throw the ball.

-The other talk of camp has been Derek Frinzi. The 6’3 230 pound sophomore has really turned heads and is going to start at defensive end as a pass rusher and is going to be in the mix to start at guard. He might be the best college prospect on the roster. He hit a big growth spurt in the offseason (bulking up from 185 to 230 – puberty is a hell of a drug) and has the explosiveness and physicality to be an every down defensive lineman in high school.

-They’ve moved three year starter Danny Hynes from strong safety to outside linebacker, which is a reflection of how you have to defend modern offenses. Hynes is a hitter, but has the speed and fluidity to cover slot receivers and make plays sideline to sideline. It also moves Damion Smith from cornerback to strong safety, which is probably a better use of his size and skillset. It does mean that the two cornerback spots are open, with sophomore Nahjee Adams and seniors Makhi DeSilva and Xavier Apgar competing to get on the field.

-The other sleeper to be an impact guy is defensive tackle D’Sean Cham. The senior is huge (6’3 290) and if his conditioning level lets him be an every down 3-technique, the Rovers could have the best interior defense in the conference.

I’m planning to go see them scrimmage at Coatesville this weekend and will have more. I don’t anticipate them “beating” the Red Raiders, but I will like to see how the defense, which has the pieces to be pretty good, match up against one of the three best offenses in the state.

Rover -

Having lined up against the Dawgs three times, I’ll always love them. And playing at Cottingham was vey cool, a real thrill.

And another good write-up, by the way.

Isn't it funny how we have programs outside of our own that we are attached to and root for? I certainly have schools around the state I like to see do well for various reasons (Woodland Hills, Ridley, Pennsbury, McKeesport are ones for me).

Speaking of Cottingham, that was the biggest win of the offseason for the Dawgs. The school board put together a committee to examine whether they should build a new football stadium out in the suburbs at the high school or pay to have Cottingham renovated (parts of the stadium are definintely showing its age, this will be the 94th year of football at Cottingham this fall). They voted in May to have Cottingham renovated and keep the historic stadium in West Ward as the site of Easton football, hopefully for another 94 years.

Nice Rover. Looks like Easton’s year (6A excluding Beca) with a pile having quality parts to keep it interesting; Emmaus (!) and Freedom, Naz as the spoiler/shocker for The Big Ticket.
Got to like Moncman’s D history plus they always have large physical lines to match anything in conf. Parkland and Easton could see a few 21-17 games.

Emmaus has the best skill guys, easily. I’d be a little worried that all the talk is how they have no offensivevor defensive line depth and are searching for linebackers other then Ntoh. Ntoh and Myers might be the best running back combo in the state, but it’s tough if you can’t block.

Since this is my fan thread, this has to be the end of Parklsnds run, right? Downing snd Hawkins are both 300 pound lineman, but Piston and Fitzgerald are like 210. They’ve had a horseshoe up their ass a couple times, I hope that wears out. Any faith in Parkland this year is just faith in Tim. But that’s well deserved, he’s such s good football coach.

Emmaus has the best skill guys, easily. I’d be a little worried that all the talk is how they have no offensivevor defensive line depth and are searching for linebackers other then Ntoh. Ntoh and Myers might be the best running back combo in the state, but it’s tough if you can’t block.

Since this is my fan thread, this has to be the end of Parklsnds run, right? Downing snd Hawkins are both 300 pound lineman, but Piston and Fitzgerald are like 210. They’ve had a horseshoe up their ass a couple times, I hope that wears out. Any faith in Parkland this year is just faith in Tim. But that’s well deserved, he’s such s good football coach.
Faith it is then Rover but it does look like this is the year they could go down a peg or two. Ha....how many times have we said that over the years !?

Yeah, I know you are right, I’d just like to deny it til about week five. It’s more fun that way.

Initial Thoughrs from Coatesville scrimmage

Easton is playing a 3-4 for the first time in my
memory. Gayle is has moved from defensive tackle to defensive end, with big D’Sean Cham in the middle at nose guard.

Part of the switch is to get their best 11 on the field, which is going to be four linebackers. Both sophomore backers impresssd me, particularly Tamir Jackson. He was in on almost every run play, including a pair of nicely blown up read options. Falcone is comically short, but was all over the field.

The Red Rovers held guys out today for precaution. Andrew Balukas, Mike Dunlap, Elek Ferency, and one more player I couldn’t identify by face were all in street clothes. Balukas and Dunlap are arguably Easton’s two best defenders, making the performance even better.

The offense was out of sync almost the entire day. Harold Reynolds had a few nice carries early l, but they didn’t show a lot in the run game. Damion Smith had a nice day at X receiver. He’s big and physical and is poised for a nice year.

Tons of snap and penalty problems on offense.

Back up QB Peyton Cosover suffered a leg injury in the JV scrimmage and was on crutches when I walked in. Easton’s 2’s on offense were really out of whack with the third string QB and didn’t show a lot.

Xavier Apgar at corner looked ready to go. Had a couple big hits in run support and a beautiful INT on the last series by starters.

Most of Coatesville’s completions were swings where backs or slot guys got match ups with linebackers. Not a lot of stuff to outside receivers or thatbtested the secondary.

Ortega missed on a ton of deep balls. Easton corners get credit for running with the Coatesville receivers and making Ortega try to drop it in really tight windows. He only hit one of them.

Aaron Young made one cut and was gone on an option play early in the scrimmage. Falcone cleaned up his pursuit on the play after that mistake. He got sucked in too far at Ortega and had no angle on the pitch.

Easton opened with a 56-7 win over Pocono Mountain West. Wins over the EPC North don't tell us a whole heck of a lot, and PMW was just physically outclassed in this one. Still, here are some of the trends and conclusions that I draw after week 1.

-The Rovers still aren't fully healthy. Offensive linemen Elek Ferency and Christian Miers both did not suit up for the opener (neither played in the scrimmage against Coatesville either). That's 550 pounds of offensive lineman who weren't utlized. RJ Gisler and Josh Arias did a nice job in their place, but Easton will need to get healthy when the meat of the schedule hits.

-Mike Dunlap is a problem. He caught 5 passes for 110 yards and looked very comfortable replacing Jake Herres as the X receiver. He's definitely faster and a more explosive athlete. I've been hyping up Dunlap since he was a sophomore as a major receiving threat, but injuries have not cooperated. If he stays healthy, he might be the best wideout in the EPC South.

-The running game dominated, but it should have against PMW. Still, it was fun to see Albert Gayle and D'Sean Cham eat up on the interior. Gayle in particular is such a good kid who is well respected by his coaches and peers that I hope his monster opener was a sign of things to come. And when Easton is really solid at center, the rest of the line tends to fall in to place (Nick Azzolina, Jason Groller, Tyler Greene, Mike Fleming).

-Same thing for the defensive line. Few high school teams have the personnel to play a 3-4, but Easton has the right mix of defensive linemen, with Gayle-Cham-Darrien Lee up front (255-290-240). I thought Cham was a force last night. He was banged up a lot of his junior season, but could be a difference maker if he stays healthy (and earn himself looks for colleges, 6'3 290 defensive tackles are at a premium from what I understand).

-They were up too big too quickly to get a great read on what carries will look like for the running backs. Harold Reynolds got 9 carries (3 of them TDs) and looked primed for a good year. His final two touchdowns both showcased what he does best - running through tackles and picking up tough inside yards, then finding a second gear once he gets in to the secondary. Tamir Jackson got the carry for a touchdown on the opening drive, but then didn't touch the ball again on offense. Nahjee Adams flashed his track speed with a 34 yard TD burst, but was just okay in his other 4 carries. The biggest beneficiary of the huge lead was freshman Marcus Williams, who scored a pair of touchdowns in the second half. He's a name more for the future than the present, but it was nice to see the young pup get some glory in his first high school game. It's also nice to walk in to the first day of 9th grade having already scored a pair of touchdowns in a varsity football game.

-I hate these crossover games. Everybody hates these crossover games. Joining the MVC and LVC has been a disaster from a competitive scheduling standpoint. The leagues just don't really compare, and forcing everybody in the league to suck up potentially interesting non-conference games with laughers like this is such a waste. Last night, you had East Stroudsburg South beating Whitehall, but the other scores in the league looked like this: 68-14, 38-14, 54-6, 62-6, 42-0, 35-7, 41-0. Overall, the south outscored the north 424-90. There's got to be a better way to do this.

Sophomore linebacker Tamir Jackson was the EPC defensive player of the week after making 6 tackles, 3 behind the line, grabbing his first career interception, and scoring a rushing touchdown. It looks like this is going to be a regular occurrence, I’m super high on the young pup.

He’s only 5’8 now, so I’m not sure how much of a college prospect he is (unless he grows, not out of the question) but he’s going to be an excellent high school linebacker.

The good
Harold Reynolds is going to have a monster year. The senior captain ran 19 times for 186 yards and 3 scores, had a 32 yard reception, and threw a 76 yard TD. His balance is so good, and he’s strong as an ox. Hes also clearly improved his speed in the offseason. He’s a better version of Quran Hughes, who ran for 1,000 yards on the 2009 team that lost to LaSalle in the snow.

The other revelation has been Nate Nimeh. He was sharp again tonight. He also clearly added a ton of strength in the offseason. Still doesn’t have a cannon, but makes good decisions, can scramble well, and has been super accurate. Bravo Mike Palos.

Mikey Dunlap went over 100 yards receiving again, with 3 catches for 112 yards and a score. Again, he might be your most dangerous wideout in the EPC South.

The rush defense is very strong. Whitehall ran for 27 yards on 29 carries. The linebacking corps, particularly Balukas and Jackson on the inside, really get down hill and cause problems.

I like how they use their athletes on offense. Makhi DaSilva and Nahjee Adams are both essentially rb/slot guys, similar to how SJP uses personnel. I also thought Dom Falcone made nice contribtions at fullback. He had a long screen pass and some nice work as a lead blocker. He’s tiny, but clearly an athlete.

They piled up 610 yards and 27 first downs with three starting linemen out. When Elek Ferency, Christian Miers, and Derek Frinzi come back, they’re going to have a massive and talented group up front.

They just kept rolling out sophomores who looked good, particularly on the defensive line. Donovan Lance (6’3 260) had a huge sack and looked like he’s going to earn more snaps on defense. Ben Sawchuck (6’2 250) did the same on offense.

The Bad
12 penalties for 120 yards. Absolutely inexcusable. Two penalties negated third down stops on drives where Whitehall scores. They also left points on the field, getting a fourth Reynolds TD called back and getting behind the chains too often. Some of it is all the back up linemen still getting their feet wet, but that’s a hideous number.

The secondary gambles too much. Whitehall scores on TD passes of 33, 40, and 46 yards. On two, the defensive back was a step late jumping a route and only had green behind them. They can’t give up so many big pass plays against good teams.

I don’t think Whitehall is very good, and the game was a little too close for a little too long. They can’t let teams hang around. The final score was indicative of the talent difference, but it was a 7 point game at the half.

ADVERTISEMENT