ADVERTISEMENT

Easton 49 Spring-Ford 7

Easton gets a pass interference called on a touchdown catch. And a holding call. Then on 3rd and goal from the 20, run for a touchdown.

another Spring-Ford three and out. Another long Easton touchdown drive, capped with a 29 yard bubble screen to DiSora for a touchdown. 28-0 good guys with six minutes before half. This one looks like a mercy rule.

Holy shit. After a penalty on the kickoff pinned them deep, Zollers threw a floater off of his back foot escaping pressure in the end zone, got picked off by DiSora and trucked on the return, Easton scores a 3 yard TD on the next play. 35-0 with 5 minutes left in the half. This one will be running clock once halftime hits.

Wow, when SF is bad they are bad. You see this with them in the playoffs (and last year against Manheim Twp). There’s something about them when the bottom falls out.

They’re getting completely out physical-ed. Offensive line is getting great push, then Easton’s huge receivers are turning nice runs into chunk plays. Really like the way those kids block downfield. That attitude was here for a long time, but has been missing for the dark years.

Defensively, they’re tackling really well and getting after Zollers. The second pick was him drifting because he’s sick of getting hit - then he got crushed on the return for his effort (temporarily saved a TD though). He’s got an absolute cannon though - his first interception nearly went through DiSora. Can see how a college program can clean him up and make him a legit guy.

What a great response from Easton… SF is more than just the QB too, a lot of people saw them as a top team in D1 this year. Playing physical football is the great equalizer.

Easton had to punt for the first time all night, and pinned SF at the 4. Two plays later, Zollers threw his third pick of the night - I think that’s more than he had in all of 2023 - and Easton converts with a short touchdown run after the return. 42-0 and the starters are out. Clock running us into the fourth quarter. As dominant of a performance as I’ve seen from Easton in a long time.

Last time Easton pitched a shutout against a non-Monroe county or Allentown public school - 35-0 over Northampton in October of 2016. Last time they scored 49 points excluding those teams was Nasir Minney-Gratz’s 469 yard rushing game against Nazareth in November 2015.

Zollers threw for 88 yards and 3 interceptions. It’s not quite future NFL starter Tom Savage going 6-24 with 4 picks in Cottingham back in 2006, but it’s a pretty special defensive performance against a very good quarterback.

Rovers finished with 409 total yards. Easton rushed for 317 yards, with Will Day and Dorian Thomas combining for 234 and five touchdowns - 12 for 131 and 2 scores for Thomas, 14 for 103 and 3 scores for Day.

Cael DiSora had 2 catches for 44 yards and a touchdown and two interceptions on defense.

Zollers threw for 88 yards and 3 interceptions. It’s not quite future NFL starter Tom Savage going 6-24 with 4 picks in Cottingham back in 2006, but it’s a pretty special defensive performance against a very good quarterback.

Rovers finished with 409 total yards. Easton rushed for 317 yards, with Will Day and Dorian Thomas combining for 234 and five touchdowns - 12 for 131 and 2 scores for Thomas, 14 for 103 and 3 scores for Day.

Cael DiSora had 2 catches for 44 yards and a touchdown and two interceptions on defense.
This doesn't bode well for Spring-Ford come playoff time in D1 - where you have a bunch of teams who primarily run the ball and play physical football. (Even if you're generous and say they just got overwhelmed early and can bounce back this year.)

Reactions: HSFB99
Absolutely Bucks. I hate to say it, but that’s been their MO for quite some time now.

Couple choice quotes -

“We knew from the get-go. They didn’t look too physical on film and we’re Easton,” Day said. “We went back to the old Easton, run the ball straight down.”

“I thought we could be more physical than them up front,” Easton coach Matt Senneca said. “Yeah, they were a little bigger than us, they probably looked more the part than we did, but you come down to 11th street, you better be ready to play some physical football. Our kids were ready to play tonight.”

The pass rush was amazing,” DiSora said. “They came out, hands throwing, they came out to punch somebody in the lip.”

“Just a mentality, just having Easton on our chest,” Macon said of the Rovers’ relentless pass rush.

It’s just one game, but it’s been since the Steve Shifffert era that Easton’s played with that kind of attitude and had that kind of messaging. And that’s first win over a team they were not necessarily supposed to beat since, maybe, 2014? I’m not saying Senneca has us back, but it’s as encouraged as I’ve been in a long time.

This is the kind of statement win that turns a program around. I think Northeast is down this year so they might have another big week ahead of them.

I know Nase left Northeast, which I think was the impetus for scheduling (he and Easton’s offensive line coach played together at Lafayette) and I haven’t tracked what they do and don’t have. But getting out of the non-conference 2-1 would be huge. Then two must-wins against Bethlehem Catholic and Emmaus, two teams the last regime had no success against. Then it might start rolling downhill until a massive last two weeks with Freedom and Nazareth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT