ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern finals representatives

Who would play on the 2021 Lebo team if they combined with 2017 P-R? Maybe an OL? Lebo's best three players were QB, WR, RB

QB: Phil vs. Joey Daniels?
RB: Crawford or White vs Tecza?
WR: Falcone or DeFrancis or Goltz vs Heidenrich

I think maybe 1 OL or an OLB would be the two positions, but have no idea who that would be from Lebo or if they were any good.

2021 Lebo was a good HS team. That 2017 P-R team was top 3 ever in WPIAL.
Heidenreich is better than those 3 guys for sure, I remember Falcone, the other guys are no names so i don't know how they would be in the argument

Tecza is probably a better running back than Crawford and White, he had higher quality offers, did either Crawford or White play anywhere?

you might be right to say PR is one of the best teams, but didn't you say you have only been following high school football in this area for past 10 years?

Penn Hills 1996 brought almost everybody back, I think was the USA Today #1 team in the country, lost in the first round of WPIALs.

Not the same total firepower, but 2009 Liberty brought back Anthony Gonzalez, Jarrod West, and Dante Holmes and went from preseason #1 to D11 first round exit after their state title. Central Dauphin in 2012 with Issah and Scales back.
Penn Hills and Liberty are good examples

i've seen people mention Penn Hills in 95 as one of the better champs, i think they destroyed their legacy in 96 and are out of the "best ever" argument

I don't know what happened to Liberty but in 2008 they weren't thought of as a dominant champ and I still have the belief that Gateway would've easily beaten them if they somehow didn't shockingly lose to Bethel Park in what I feel was the WPIAL's biggest upset ever in the title game, they probably lost some key guys that were more important than orginally thought plus their luck ran out

I don't remember CD being in the discussion for one of the better teams in 2012, NA was heavy favorites far more than they were in 2010 and 2011

Penn Hills and Liberty are good examples

i've seen people mention Penn Hills in 95 as one of the better champs, i think they destroyed their legacy in 96 and are out of the "best ever" argument

I don't know what happened to Liberty but in 2008 they weren't thought of as a dominant champ and I still have the belief that Gateway would've easily beaten them if they somehow didn't shockingly lose to Bethel Park in what I feel was the WPIAL's biggest upset ever in the title game, they probably lost some key guys that were more important than orginally thought plus their luck ran out

I don't remember CD being in the discussion for one of the better teams in 2012, NA was heavy favorites far more than they were in 2010 and 2011
I went back and looked - Liberty was only #6 in the preseason the next year, I thought with Gonzalez back they were thought of more highly. They had hype because they brought back their QB after he was the state player of the year, plus an FBS receiver, but that’s virtually all that came back. And as it happens, Gonzalez tore his meniscus and missed a chunk of the regular season

Oh the pain!

A few items that had a solid glow over the expectations for the 'Skins 2005 squad::

a) Neshaminy returned 14 starters from its 2004 13-2 squad that made it to Hershey (before being run over by that great, great PCC; team of that year); and

b) The team had generated so much hype in SEPA it was kooky -- but it wasn't just locally it was also across the land as three national polls had the Red & Blue ranked in their pre-season top ten (USA Today and Sporting News -- 9 -- and Prep Nation -- 10).

So far, so good.

They opened in Langhorne with St. Joe's the opponent. They lost 28-14 and without going into it they coulda/shoulda won that game despite the final score.

Okay - we'll let that slide.

They then rip through the next 10 teams (regular season and game 1 of the playoffs) winning by an average score of 40 to 8.

Game 2 of the playoffs and it's the Miami bound "Pat Devlin & D-Town East Show" coming to "Heartbreak Ridge" (with both the Cougars and Redskins sharing identical 10-1 records to that point in the season).

A little background here: It was impossible to run on Neshaminy that year but they were a little loose against the pass. And as it was, there was one team that could throw that was still hanging around in 4A and playing in the second week of playoffs (across the state) and it was -- the Cougars.

But getting to the game - and notwithstanding the 'Skins' weak point - at the end of the third-period Neshaminy was enjoying a 28-17 lead and they had pretty well kept Devlin contained -- but then it got a little edgy.

Maybe not edgy as much as it became "The Pat Devlin Show" but in all caps as in "THE PAT DEVLIN SHOW".

Mr. Do Everything does just that in the final session and with under 6 minutes to go in the fourth the visitors have closed to within 3 points at 38-35. Then in a crazy set of circumstances the 'Skins give up a safety on a bad snap over the punter's head and it goes to 38-37 (still Neshaminy) at just under the 4 minute mark. Following the free kick it was D-Town setting up with the ball at the mid-field stripe (and 3:22 remained on the clock).

On the ensuing drive Devlin throws or runs for 48 or so yards that gets his team to the 1 yard stripe with 5 seconds on the clock.

Anyone want to guess who gets it from there? I didn't think so. Then after the Devlin sneak they go for two and the final score goes in the books 45-38 for Downingtown East.

It was the greatest effort I've ever seen by one kid in a high school game as Devlin had some crazy numbers in the second half (like 300 yards throwing and 70 yards running) - crazy stats. In other words, it took a superhuman effort by the greatest passer ever in PA (to that point) who was plain and simple a super athlete (and it was really that last 12 minutes when he went supernova).

Further sidenote - McCoy broke his ankle a week earlier so McDevitt was out of the picture (so to speak) and as they were in the West that year they were considered to be the obstacle to Neshaminy snagging the gold (no other team really could throw that year -- if you did an inventory of the teams that were still playing that week -- and other then McCoy there was no superstar ground man still playing).

I get things mixed up a bit on the season after that (I was kept under observation in the "white room" for about a month after that game with D-Town) but East lost to North Penn the following week and then Pennsbury beat NP and then Liberty got Pennsbury and the McKeesport crushed Liberty (something like that - correct me if I'm wrong but it just sorta trickled down).

I believe Neshaminy woulda manhandled any of them (yup - that's my opinion).

Regardless of the hyperbole, Neshaminy was very, very good that year but there was one team that worried us and it was D-Town (and with good reason as history will forever show).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aragorn and Stalker
Oh the pain!

A few items that had a solid glow over the expectations for the 'Skins 2005 squad::

a) Neshaminy returned 14 starters from its 2004 13-2 squad that made it to Hershey (before being run over by that great, great PCC; team of that year); and

b) The team had generated so much hype in SEPA it was kooky -- but it wasn't just locally it was also across the land as three national polls had the Red & Blue ranked in their pre-season top ten (USA Today and Sporting News -- 9 -- and Prep Nation -- 10).

So far, so good.

They opened in Langhorne with St. Joe's the opponent. They lost 28-14 and without going into it they coulda/shoulda won that game despite the final score.

Okay - we'll let that slide.

They then rip through the next 10 teams (regular season and game 1 of the playoffs) winning by an average score of 40 to 8.

Game 2 of the playoffs and it's the Miami bound "Pat Devlin & D-Town East Show" coming to "Heartbreak Ridge" (with both the Cougars and Redskins sharing identical 10-1 records to that point in the season).

A little background here: It was impossible to run on Neshaminy that year but they were a little loose against the pass. And as it was, there was one team that could throw that was still hanging around in 4A and playing in the second week of playoffs (across the state) and it was -- the Cougars.

But getting to the game - and notwithstanding the 'Skins' weak point - at the end of the third-period Neshaminy was enjoying a 28-17 lead and they had pretty well kept Devlin contained -- but then it got a little edgy.

Maybe not edgy as much as it became "The Pat Devlin Show" but in all caps as in "THE PAT DEVLIN SHOW".

Mr. Do Everything does just that in the final session and with under 6 minutes to go in the fourth the visitors have closed to within 3 points at 38-35. Then in a crazy set of circumstances the 'Skins give up a safety on a bad snap over the punter's head and it goes to 38-37 (still Neshaminy) at just under the 4 minute mark. Following the free kick it was D-Town setting up with the ball at the mid-field stripe (and 3:22 remained on the clock).

On the ensuing drive Devlin throws or runs for 48 or so yards that gets his team to the 1 yard stripe with 5 seconds on the clock.

Anyone want to guess who gets it from there? I didn't think so. Then after the Devlin sneak they go for two and the final score goes in the books 45-38 for Downingtown East.

It was the greatest effort I've ever seen by one kid in a high school game as Devlin had some crazy numbers in the second half (like 300 yards throwing and 70 yards running) - crazy stats. In other words, it took a superhuman effort by the greatest passer ever in PA (to that point) who was plain and simple a super athlete (and it was really that last 12 minutes when he went supernova).

Further sidenote - McCoy broke his ankle a week earlier so McDevitt was out of the picture (so to speak) and as they were in the West that year they were considered to be the obstacle to Neshaminy snagging the gold (no other team really could throw that year -- if you did an inventory of the teams that were still playing that week -- and other then McCoy there was no superstar ground man still playing).

I get things mixed up a bit on the season after that (I was kept under observation in the "white room" for about a month after that game with D-Town) but East lost to North Penn the following week and then Pennsbury beat NP and then Liberty got Pennsbury and the McKeesport crushed Liberty (something like that - correct me if I'm wrong but it just sorta trickled down).

I believe Neshaminy woulda manhandled any of them (yup - that's my opinion).

Regardless of the hyperbole, Neshaminy was very, very good that year but there was one team that worried us and it was D-Town (and with good reason as history will forever show).
I believe Devlin went to Penn State.

Romeo -

You may be right as he was committed somewhere and then may have changed - I don't recall exactly other than Miami was aa serious consideration.

Keep in mind that I still suffer PTSD all these years later (from this game) whenever it is is brought up (I'm actually back under the covers now with the sheets pulled over my head and typing this response on my laptop).

BP: Tecza had offers from RoMo, Duquesne, Holy Cross, Colgate, Fordham, Delaware … and Navy. Crawford was Slippery Rock, Clarion, and some D3 and White had Iowa State, Toledo, Akron. He went Juco because his grades were horrible.

Heidenrich had offers from Slippery Rock, Valpo, Davidson, … and Navy. Falcone had Lehigh, Brown, Columbia, Lafayette and Bucknell.

Navy had infinite “scholarship” spots.

Yes, about 10 years. I feel pretty confident that P-R 2017 is too 3. 04 or 05 PCC in that ground (forget the exact year). I left one open spot, but don’t know who is out there.

Y
BP: Tecza had offers from RoMo, Duquesne, Holy Cross, Colgate, Fordham, Delaware … and Navy. Crawford was Slippery Rock, Clarion, and some D3 and White had Iowa State, Toledo, Akron. He went Juco because his grades were horrible.

Heidenrich had offers from Slippery Rock, Valpo, Davidson, … and Navy. Falcone had Lehigh, Brown, Columbia, Lafayette and Bucknell.

Navy had infinite “scholarship” spots.

Yes, about 10 years. I feel pretty confident that P-R 2017 is too 3. 04 or 05 PCC in that ground (forget the exact year). I left one open spot, but don’t know who is out there.
You also have to consider the effect Covid had on players and their recruitment. It was a lot easier getting scholarships pre-2020

I forgot what we were talking about. Anyway, this discussion doesn't belong in this thread and I still think the P-R guys were better based on watching both groups live.

I forgot what we were talking about. Anyway, this discussion doesn't belong in this thread and I still think the P-R guys were better based on watching both groups live.
PR easily had the better team, Heidenreich and Tecza were definitely better players than the guys you listed

Crawford was really good, he made Joey Porter Jr look bad a few times

Kenny White was good but not a star

the other guys... i have no idea how they would even be considered nobody outside of PR fans even remembers them

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT