ADVERTISEMENT

District 11 Playoffs

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Big news out of the Lehigh Valley is Sonny Sasso is in a sling and will not play against Parkland tonight. Sasso threw for 2,000 yards in the regular season with a 23-2 TD/INT ratio, and is an all league caliber safety. Nazareth won the EPC South in the regular season, and Sasso is the presumptive Offensive Player of the Year locally.

Sasso also is the reigning state wrestling champ at 189 pounds and is one of the top 25 wresting recruits in the country. He’s committed to Virginia Tech to wrestle. Huge loss in multiple sports if the injury is long term.

Hate to see this Rover. Worse case scenario is he eventually gets healthy for wrestling season.

Parkland took advantage of Sasso not playing to overwhelm the Blue Eagles.
I thought Nazareth, with Sasso, was the best team in District XI.

Too much for a high school team to overcome with your quarterback and leading tackler out. Parkland has been battling injuries all year long too, but seems to finally be getting healthy at the right time. They’ll stomp Northampton next week and make the final.

I’m still on the “Freedom despite their two losses is the most dangerous roster” train. They played a classic early in the year with Emmaus, and I think their semi next week is the de facto D11 championship.

The hope is Sasso is back to wrestle, he’s a heavy favorite to repeat as state champ and is super fun to watch. Really athletic, really funky and fluid for an upper weight. Weird body type too, he’s like 6’4 and wiry, very different than a lot of upper weights.

We’ve had a bad run lately up here of state champs getting hurt, with with Lenny Pinto missing his senior season as the #1 kid in the country, Ryan Crookham missing almost two full seasons, and now Sasso with a lot of his senior year in jeopardy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT