District 1 Coaches/Programs

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Football Talk' started by HSFballFan19, Jul 25, 2017.

1. HSFballFan19

HSFballFan19 Member
    Expand Collapse

My previous post led to a discussion strictly regarding the PCL coaches and programs. However, can anyone out there educate myself and others on the current District 1 coaches. Any new faces? Any old faces that may be wearing out their welcome? Any programs that you see as a "sleeping giant"?

2. RoverNation05

RoverNation05 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I know Ryan Nase from his days at Lafayette, really good guy and was part of great teams. He's got a big job in front of him at Cheltenham, but he's a talented guy.

3. not_a_fan

not_a_fan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

A "sleeping giant" in D1 would be Bishop Shanahan. They are the only Catholic school in Chesco and being centrally located in Downingtown allows them to get kids from all over the county and even into Delco.

Ironically, their potential maybe tied to another couple of coaches who may be wearing out their welcome in Downingtown-Mike Milano & Mike Matta. It's been rumored for years that if either one of these jobs open up, Dan Ellis will have the red carpet rolled out for him. I would imagine Milano is closer to retirement and D-West has struggled to live up to the pace of rivals D-East & C'Ville in most years.

Matta has had some very good seasons but they always seem to fizzle out earlier than expected in the playoffs. I can't remember the last time D-East made a significant run at a District title & it's certainly not for lack of talent (they have had at least 1 D1 recruit each of the last 6-7 seasons).

With there being some question as to the future of Downingtown football, Shanahan has quietly become a viable option for some of those hard nosed Young Whippets and Marsh Creek Eagles...

4. CYOBALL1

CYOBALL1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why isn't Shanahan in the PCL?

5. ChesmontLeague1

ChesmontLeague1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not - Shanahan gets many players from its feeder CYO schools (Chester Co Crusaders, St Agnes, St Max and St Simon and Jude football teams plus DYW, Marsh Creek, Kid Raiders and LAFA). 2/3 of the roster comes from the West Chester, Downingtown and Coatesville school districts where the largest population resides. Agreed that if one or both of those Downingtown programs sink I could see a few more players coming to Shanahan. It's not an elitist statement but many Downingtown pub families can afford Shanahan as Chester County is the wealthiest county in the state. Personally I like Shanahan in the Chesmont because the Shanahan kids play against their public school neighbors. (Listen to all the Downingtown pubs bitch about Shanahan) On the other hand with all the public school out cry of boundaries it may push Shanahan to the Catholic League of which they now could compete and compete well in pretty much all sports. If my alma mater does move to the PCL I hope we start to actually recruit athletes as we would need to to compete with Wood, LaSalle, Roman and St Joes Prep. BTW - The Prep has always received football, baseball and lax players from West Chester for years.

6. ChesmontLeague1

Expand Collapse

Shanahan likes playing its neighbor Chesmont Schools. Additionally playing in the PCL would be ok for traveling to Carroll, OHara and Bonner but Wood, Egan, Prep, LaSalle, etc would be pretty far from Chesco. I could see it happening if a separate Private championship happens.

7. IAdelco

IAdelco Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So considering Shanahan has been in the Chesmont in football for quite awhile now and are clearly drawing from Downingtown, Coatesville, West Chester and Delaware County, how come they havent faired better in the Chesmont League? Have they ever beaten DEast or Coatesville? Have they ever finished higher than 3rd place? Ive seen the coaches at CYO championship games in the past. Are they attending just for the enjoyment of the games or are they actually recruiting? All interesting questions that should be pondered. I agree a sleeping giant. However, does the giant need another face to prod it in order to wake it up and advance to the next level? Playing a soft non league schedule and beating the likes of West Chester East, Avon Grove, and Henderson will only go so far. If you wish to be considered a giant, at some point you need to step up and BEAT the Giants of the Chesmont.

CYOBALL1 likes this.
  8. Burrs5

Burrs5 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So, if all a school needs is no boundaries and the ability to recruit from multiple boundaries, then why isn't BS running thru that league? Ohh, that's right because pub, participation trophy types only use that when schools win. It's convenient.

6-2 Stack Monster and CYOBALL1 like this.
  9. not_a_fan

not_a_fan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

IAdelco, that's why they're being called a "sleeping giant"-the potential is there but hasn't been realized yet. They have beaten both DEast and Coatesville before (DEast more recently than CVille) & I agree that playing a more competitive non league would help too. It's amazing what the right coach can do in the right place. Remember Coatesville was pretty mediocre for about 9-10 years before Ortega got there. If Shanahan had the right coach in place (along with better admin support) they could be pretty special in 5A.

10. ChesmontLeague1

Expand Collapse

IA - You make several good points. Why hasn't Shanahan faired better... well they are playing in a league with 3 schools out of 7 which are some of the best that Eastern Pa has to offer in football. If I'm a great player I'd much rather play for a Coatesville or a Downingtown due the past successful history and potential to go far in playoffs. Other than the last year or two Henderson has been pretty good for many many years. Ask Ridley. I agree the non league is very soft and needs to upgraded if they want to move to next level. Keep in mind a committe was formed several years back and has started to upgrade the athletic facilities. Check the grass and infield on the varsity baseball field. Scoreboards have been added to the baseball field and to the 3 soccer/lax fields which face Route 30. The stadium just received lights, turf and a new track. A stand alone restroom facility will be added to the stadium shortly plus 2 new tennis courts. Heard football has some other facility additions that will be after. The school is upgrading but remember it's Catholic school and not like a public where they complete immediately. BTW - I like how Shanahan is playing the Central in more and more sports. Hopefully football non league soon (not the Harriton, Lower Merion, Penncrest but how about a Springfield or Marple non league)?

11. HSFballFan19

HSFballFan19 Member
    Expand Collapse

How about the outlook on some of the teams/programs in the SOL?

12. ChesmontLeague1

Expand Collapse

Besides North Penn, Neshaminy and I'm guessing Pennsbury.. what other SOL schools will be in the mix?

13. IAdelco

Expand Collapse

I think Abington should be very good this year. Should be better than Pennsbury again and maybe even Neshaminy. They have a Rb that if he stays healthy can put up 2,000 yds this year. Think CB South and Pennridge could also be in the playoffs. Pennridge should have a pretty good defense and if I recall CB South like Abington has alot back. Hopefully someone up that way can verify all of this.

14. PA2CAMoleskinner

PA2CAMoleskinner Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Neshaminy graduated quite a few guys from the 11-1 team so there will be plenty of new faces. They do have a core group of guys in the wideout/TE spots who can all catch and play ball (including last year's soph sensation TE/LB Oleh Manzyk who was PFN all state 1st Team). Still, with three year starting QB Mason Jones and two year starting HB Will Dogba plus 3 out of 5 linemen also graduating they have some shoes to fill.

On defense they also graduated a lot but have two LBs (including Mamzyk who might be more of a DE this year) a few linemen and a DB back (as I recall). Of course, and no disrespect to my beloved and adored Redskins, the D was theit Achilles Heel so switching out some names might not be so bad (please god - forgive me for even contemplating a negative thought like that).

Anyway, they have some work to do (the good news is that it will be Steve Wilmot's third year as the head honcho and although he hit the ground running any opening night jitters or "getting adjusted" stuff is now just a memory. I also hear they some great candidates at QB and a few other slots and they generally have kept the pipeline flowing for a long, long time so I'd expect more of the same.

Pennsbury - well, last season was year one of the new regime after long-timer Galen Snyder hung up his lederhosen following the 2015 campaign. And as it seemed they lost a lot of guys due to graduation that year, plus a new topper in 2016, the 5-5 finish was in some part attributable to the predictable shake-down cruise as you'd expect. Then to be honest, I didn't pay too much attention to them and with Langhorne's 35-0 win over them not one of their best efforts I haven't a clue as of now what they have in the pantry (I'll be digging soon enough).

Abington was 5-5 too with their wins and losses not showing anything special to really hang your hat on. Still, their 21-0 loss to the 'Skins took some effort by the Red & Blue and you got the impression they had/have more horses under the hood to roll out. And having watched them plenty over the years I'm never surprised when they make noise.

Pennridge is getting to be a constant thorn in everyone's side and they have that all world LB/TE Tarburton back as a senior who single-handedly will make scoring difficult for teams. I think, though, that a lot of their offensive skill guys have moved on so I can't comment on their offense other than it may be a rebuild is necessary.

Then you have CB South being capable too - just don't know much yet about them (I sound like a dumb-ass for sure -- don't know anything).

Anyway, North Penn seems loaded and then you have a handful of clubs that can jump up and bite (and I'm sure I'm missing one of them). And I'm hoping the 'Skins can make a run but it may be that this is one of those in-between years when they add some seasoning to the soup but it's just not yet ready to ladle out so we can slurp it up (we shall see).

Go 'Skins!!!

15. IAdelco

Expand Collapse

Abington had to be at least 6-4. They were the 13 seed in the District 1 tournament.

16. PA2CAMoleskinner

PA2CAMoleskinner Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

IA -

You are correct. Abington finished the regular season at 6-4. They played Coatesville in the opening round of the playoffs and that game closed out their season putting them at 6-5 overall.

17. coverandmove1

coverandmove1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Name to watch out for is new north Penn JV coach Jim Udinski.

18. HSFballFan19

HSFballFan19 Member
    Expand Collapse

I assume that is their old QB's father? Why is he a name to watch out for? Prior coaching experience?

19. SDLND1

SDLND1 Member
    Expand Collapse

20. coverandmove1

coverandmove1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Could take over for Beck when he hangs it up.