ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 6A - Preseason Shot in the Dark

Fletchster1

Nov 22, 2004
Usual suspects at the top with bounce-back seasons from Neshaminy and Downingtown West.

1. North Penn
2. Coatesville
3. Downingtown East
4. Garnet Valley
5. Neshaminy
6. Ridley
7. Pennridge
8. Downingtown West
9. Springford
10. Souderton
11. Abington
12. CB West
13. Perkiomen Valley
14. Quakertown
15. CB South
16. Haverford
17. CB East
18. Owen J Roberts
19. Cheltenham
20. Avon Grove
21. Conestoga
22. Bensalem
23. Pennsbury
24. Boyertown
25. Council Rock North
26. Upper Darby
27. Methacton
28. Council Rock South
29. Lower Merion
30. Harry S Truman
31. Norristown
32. Penn Wood
33. William Tennent

Good list… not sure Neshaminy bounces that high, after last year, but should be solid up front. Abington, imo is way too high, their pipeline was very very thin the last couple of years so unless they have transfers I don’t know about, they’re in for a very tough year. Pennridge a big ?, not just bc of Picciotti but installing their third offense in 4 years, and going back to spread without an obvious starting QB.

Bucks, I saw speculation that more players were considering leaving Pennridge (not just Picciotti). Any truth to that? Any word on how things are going with the new coach? Thanks buddy, can’t wait for football to be here!

Reactions: bucksftball
I'll be curious to see how CR-South fares this season. After 20 years with Vince Bedesem at the helm, a whole new staff takes over. I will always have respect for Vince, but a change was needed. He did make back to back district semis, but that seems so long ago.

Can't comment on North, they have been a train wreck for years. Part of the reason why my interest in HS football is at an all-time low.

Bucks, I saw speculation that more players were considering leaving Pennridge (not just Picciotti). Any truth to that? Any word on how things are going with the new coach? Thanks buddy, can’t wait for football to be here!
I’ve heard all the rumors too but nothing concrete. They bring back a terrific back but they lose Picciotti to IMG and two D1 linemen (plus others) to graduation. With all that talent last year they finished 3rd in their league… hard to get too excited about the Rams until they prove something early.

Reactions: Stalker
I'll be curious to see how CR-South fares this season. After 20 years with Vince Bedesem at the helm, a whole new staff takes over. I will always have respect for Vince, but a change was needed. He did make back to back district semis, but that seems so long ago.

Can't comment on North, they have been a train wreck for years. Part of the reason why my interest in HS football is at an all-time low.
Saw West in a 7v7 scrimmage against CR South. West had their way with them, without their two best offensive weapons on the field. CRS didn’t show much in terms of athleticism but they are also learning a new offense. Could be another long year for the CRs.

Great to be back! Looks like the Usual Suspects at the top but will be interesting to see if Garnet the Dowingtowns North Penn and the Ville being chesco guy look forward to watching West East and the Ville compete. The Ville looks to replace a lot under 2nd year OC Peter “Coach “ Susi Mid Penn great from Bishop Mcdevit but they have one of the best QBs in district One with run and gun Harrison Susi. Will they be able to pound the rock like last year too? The defense under EJ “DC” Moyer has always been very solid. West looks huge upfront again with 3 D1 Blue Chips and a new very athletic Qb. As always look forward to the season! Love to hear some more about your thoughts in D1 this year and will be patiently waiting for The Phil Steele of high school football in southeastern Pa Mr IA Delco!!!!!

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
North Penn’s offense appears to be loaded once again. They have the best QB-WR duo in the district. They’ll need to replace the RB, but they never have an issue there. Likewise, Beck always seems to piece together a very solid OL. It’s been said for years on here, the question mark at NP is their defense (see the Ridley playoff game last year). Just from the eye test, I believe they have the talent to have a top tier defense year in and year out, but something isn’t right on that side of the ball there. If they get the defense in shape, I’d make them the favorites in District 1. But, that’s a big if.

North Penn’s offense appears to be loaded once again. They have the best QB-WR duo in the district. They’ll need to replace the RB, but they never have an issue there. Likewise, Beck always seems to piece together a very solid OL. It’s been said for years on here, the question mark at NP is their defense (see the Ridley playoff game last year). Just from the eye test, I believe they have the talent to have a top tier defense year in and year out, but something isn’t right on that side of the ball there. If they get the defense in shape, I’d make them the favorites in District 1. But, that’s a big if.
They often have their top athletes on O and don’t play them both ways, with a few exceptions. There have been some guys on the field as defensive starters in the past few years that were head scratchers. As you said, RB will be no problem, they have studs ready to step up in that role. That Ridley game was really a mess with not much defense from either side.

Reactions: lilromeo
Pennridge could go either way, but I'm leaning towards the Ewing Theory being employed. Sometimes losing a star player can improve team dynamics which leads to a better overall squad. Stay tuned as having a late hire at the HC spot might blow that theory out of the water.

A couple quick hits;

Haverford has good numbers and likely some fire in the belly after their 1st losing season since 2010. Good, good core/returns and good ones coming up, with G-Val losing top skill at Qb, Rb, Wr plus RIdley graduating tailback Mills and Qb Heller from their best offense ever. G-Val probably won't score 44 or more for the 4th straight year. Getting Ridley and G-Val at home plus numbers say they could surprise and definitely higher than 16 by my guesstimate!
Perk Val always have a good core with Dtown West, Roman and Spring Ford coming to them. 8 and 5 pt losses to Cville last year says they're a player.
CB East........still like em! Ok, a few bad losses at CB West by 20 and Perk Val by 21. But they also have road losses at Ridley by 5 and North Penn by 1 and that says a lot with decent numbers back.

A couple quick hits;

Haverford has good numbers and likely some fire in the belly after their 1st losing season since 2010. Good, good core/returns and good ones coming up, with G-Val losing top skill at Qb, Rb, Wr plus RIdley graduating tailback Mills and Qb Heller from their best offense ever. G-Val probably won't score 44 or more for the 4th straight year. Getting Ridley and G-Val at home plus numbers say they could surprise and definitely higher than 16 by my guesstimate!
Perk Val always have a good core with Dtown West, Roman and Spring Ford coming to them. 8 and 5 pt losses to Cville last year says they're a player.
CB East........still like em! Ok, a few bad losses at CB West by 20 and Perk Val by 21. But they also have road losses at Ridley by 5 and North Penn by 1 and that says a lot with decent numbers back.
I agree with your mention of CB east. They have a solid QB and RB returning .Not sure about their line .

D at NP has been an Achilles heel for seems like forever. More specifically, Pass coverage seems to be a challenge for most of the SOL teams.

Opening night is 3 weeks from today!

A couple quick hits;

I know I'm being a homer here but I think the East hype is just the typical hype we see almost every year. They were down big to North Penn and staged a late rally (which was typical North Penn last year), but at the end of the day they still only finished 4th in the SOL National. Abington was an UGLY win (3-0) and the West game wasn't competitive with West starting 7 sophomores. (East got no defensive stops in the entire game, West ran out of clock at halftime and knelt it out inside the 5 yard line to end the game with their fans screaming for another score.) To look at it another way, while East benefits from the weaker cross-over schedule again, who are they vaulting over in the SOL? Neshaminy and Pennsbury will be much improved, with Pennsbury's FB about to have a monster year. North Penn has their QB back, the best WR in the league, great backs, etc.. West brings back their QB for his third year starting, two all-league backs, the fastest player in the SOL, 7 juniors who started all year as sophomores... Not sure East has much up front besides Powers, and while the QB and RB return, they do at a lot of programs. They had those three guys plus some solid seniors last year and only went 6-5. Time will tell, as the X factor for so many teams are the young guys that we don't even know about at this point who might make an impact.

Reactions: HSFB99
I know I'm being a homer here but I think the East hype is just the typical hype we see almost every year. They were down big to North Penn and staged a late rally (which was typical North Penn last year), but at the end of the day they still only finished 4th in the SOL National. Abington was an UGLY win (3-0) and the West game wasn't competitive with West starting 7 sophomores. (East got no defensive stops in the entire game, West ran out of clock at halftime and knelt it out inside the 5 yard line to end the game with their fans screaming for another score.) To look at it another way, while East benefits from the weaker cross-over schedule again, who are they vaulting over in the SOL? Neshaminy and Pennsbury will be much improved, with Pennsbury's FB about to have a monster year. North Penn has their QB back, the best WR in the league, great backs, etc.. West brings back their QB for his third year starting, two all-league backs, the fastest player in the SOL, 7 juniors who started all year as sophomores... Not sure East has much up front besides Powers, and while the QB and RB return, they do at a lot of programs. They had those three guys plus some solid seniors last year and only went 6-5. Time will tell, as the X factor for so many teams are the young guys that we don't even know about at this point who might make an impact.
I don't know about any 'hype' bucks, haven't seen any preseason writeups and always do my own research. Are they out yet? I've always liked a team coming in with skill people as most teams find an OL or patch something together that gets the job down. Let's face it, the SOL is not what it used to be so for me....give me all the O fireworks you can in that conference especially as few play pass defense.
I've had the District-3 rankings done for 2 months but can't keep other things settled; hopefully out Sat or Sun. Maybe tonight and I'll edit online. As always, I wish them all good luck and good health. Bottom line in my view, it's often a best guesstimate after the first few teams

Last edited:
I don't know about any 'hype' bucks, haven't seen any preseason writeups and always do my own research. Are they out yet? I've always liked a team coming in with skill people as most teams find an OL or patch something together that gets the job down. Let's face it, the SOL is not what it used to be so for me....give me all the O fireworks you can in that conference especially as few play pass defense.
I've had the District-3 rankings done for 2 months but can't keep other things settled; hopefully out Sat or Sun. Maybe tonight and I'll edit online. As always, I wish them all good luck and good health. Bottom line in my view, it's often a best guesstimate after the first few teams
My hype comment wasn't directed at you. In the Doylestown area, CB East lets everyone know, every year, that THIS is their year, so it's a familiar refrain. I just don't see the roster to make a move, but again I could be missing some new young guys that could be difference makers. East no longer throws the ball all over. They switched last year to a power running game from their traditional spread, even installing a wing-t package of plays. Their QB threw for around 100 yards a game, so I don't expect them to light it up through the air this year. I saw more than half of their games this past season, as they are included on the same streaming package as West games. Maybe they find something that they haven't had in previous years, time will tell.

My hype comment wasn't directed at you. In the Doylestown area, CB East lets everyone know, every year, that THIS is their year, so it's a familiar refrain. I just don't see the roster to make a move, but again I could be missing some new young guys that could be difference makers. East no longer throws the ball all over. They switched last year to a power running game from their traditional spread, even installing a wing-t package of plays. Their QB threw for around 100 yards a game, so I don't expect them to light it up through the air this year. I saw more than half of their games this past season, as they are included on the same streaming package as West games. Maybe they find something that they haven't had in previous years, time will tell.
Wasn't taking it personally bucks and understand your knowledge of same is way more than mine. I have no inside info. Just an opinion.

At this point, I'll probably only get out a Top 10 of D3 teams, spending too much time away on other issues and in FL, probably having to be there ALL of October. So, so much for the weekly rankings I know the district one crowd is clamoring for....yuck-yuck. Ok, back to it.

Reactions: bucksftball
Bucks, has East had less talent than West and South over the past 4-5 years? I remember East having a really good QB the past few years, but they haven’t beaten West since Rowan’s first year, correct? East folks can’t be happy with the losing streak they are on. I feel Rowan at West has created a much better program than Donnelly, and South for that matter.

Bucks, has East had less talent than West and South over the past 4-5 years? I remember East having a really good QB the past few years, but they haven’t beaten West since Rowan’s first year, correct? East folks can’t be happy with the losing streak they are on. I feel Rowan at West has created a much better program than Donnelly, and South for that matter.
Rowan has made a major impact at West. To Bucks point ,I believe West offense will score a bunch.That RB can fly.We will know a lot after the Garnet Valley game. Too bad its not at War Memorial.

No, I think with a couple of exceptions (Luke Benson, Jack Fallon), the talent level between the CBs, the CRs and Abington have been pretty similar. East had teams with Giordano, Silverman and Ventresca with a very good supporting cast around them. South always seems to be very big up front, with good skill on offense.

Correct... West lost that close game at East in 2018, and also lost a good game to South that year. Losing Benson and their top two-way lineman for the season really hurt that team, and Rowan hadn't had the chance to pick an offense, build his staff and establish an identity. Wing-T came in the next year, and they have won the next 3 in a row vs East and South. Rowan is certainly THE factor in the turn-around.

Reactions: lilromeo and HSFB99
Great to be back! Looks like the Usual Suspects at the top but will be interesting to see if Garnet the Dowingtowns North Penn and the Ville being chesco guy look forward to watching West East and the Ville compete. The Ville looks to replace a lot under 2nd year OC Peter “Coach “ Susi Mid Penn great from Bishop Mcdevit but they have one of the best QBs in district One with run and gun Harrison Susi. Will they be able to pound the rock like last year too? The defense under EJ “DC” Moyer has always been very solid. West looks huge upfront again with 3 D1 Blue Chips and a new very athletic Qb. As always look forward to the season! Love to hear some more about your thoughts in D1 this year and will be patiently waiting for The Phil Steele of high school football in southeastern Pa Mr IA Delco!!!!!
Great to be back in football mode. I have been fortunate to get down the shore up and down the coast, so I wasn't paying much attention to the board this offseason. Looking forward to a great 2022 season. It just seems like they fly by so quickly anymore. I think when you are trying to take into account who will be your top dogs in the district this year, it's always good to look at the top 4 leagues in Chesmont, SOL, Central, and PAC. The winners of these leagues usually take the top spots and it is difficult for them to be taken down after that. See Garnet Valley, Coatesville, North Penn, Downingtown West, Souderton, and Pennridge over the past 5 years.
I believe the SOL will come down to the game between CB West and North Penn. Can CB West control the clock and keep North Penn's explosive offense off the field? I do like CB West to be very good this year. I'll definitely have them in my top 10 to begin the season. CB East, Quakertown, Souderton and probably Pennridge will all be playoff teams in my opinion out of the SOL.
The Chesmont, like death and taxes guaranteed, will be won by Coatesville, Downingtown West, or Downingtown East. Coatesville has won or shared the title for the past 6 years so expect them to be one of the final teams standing. DWest should be much improved from last year with a better quarterback and experienced lineman returning. DEast is DEast is DEast so expect them to be extremely physical and remain undefeated up until facing Downingtown West and Coatesville. Coatesville's been able to go toe to toe with the Downingtowns in the trenches since Mick "Pitbull" Bonner appeared at the Ville. I do believe Avon Grove will be improved this year but not sure they have enough to beat Coatesville or either Downingtown school.
The Central is tough to predict after Garnet Valley. Strath Haven, Springfield, and Marple Newtown at the 5A level along with Ridley and Haverford High make some noise every now and again. I'll take Haverford High and Garnet Valley to make the playoffs from the Central. Garnet will be a top 5 seed for sure. They lost a ton of talent last year but still have great coaching, a large number of players, and great schemes that are difficult to stop.
The PAC always comes down to Springford and Perk Valley. I think they will both make the playoffs this year and I'll give the slight edge to Springford this year based on Qb play. I believe Springford has the best Qb in the PAC this year.
I believe I am missing 2 or 3 teams. Thinking they will come from the SOL because they are all 6A teams so winning and points play a major matter when deciding who gets in.

As always with great insightful information from the Legendary IA Delco look forward to meeting up with you for some beers and food before the games this year! Hopefully we can get the PA Preps podcast started! Maybe Relayer and Stalker would be interested in this as well!

DWest appears to have college sized line this year. Should be some great league games w 2 Downingtowns and Cville. Agreed Avon Grove is improved but not to the level of those 3 and Shanahan lost almost everyone after the best 4 year run the school has ever had.

It will be interesting with the big 3 in the Chesmont this season. Veteran QBs at Cville and East, but West's new kid looks ready to compete with the other two. I have Ville, East, West to start the season - should get a better look at the pecking order after the first few weeks.

@ Academy Park (Playoff Team last year)
vs Central Dauphin (Tough season last year, but solid program)

East
@ Pennridge (East won up there last year, Rams might be in a little bit of disarray, but they get the Cougars at home for the 2nd year in a row)
vs State College (East won up there last year)
@ Delaware Valley (East won at home last year)

West
vs Highland Regional (in OC, NJ) (Right around .500 last season)
@ Perkiomen Valley (Playoff Team last year)
@ Neshaminy (Stunk last year, but should bounce back)

Those Chesmont games are always the best to watch and most fiercely contested amongst all the D1 games. My kids are out of college and I really enjoyed watching the kids they went up through youth football with through high school (and several through college) Hope you are enjoying the same.

And Kottmeyer really provides an awesome venue for hs football. No track, so fans are right on top of the action. DYW joining PW makes it even cooler as the MCE and DYW kids play with/compete with each other from youth through hs.

Through 8 weeks: Likely playoff teams in BOLD.

1. North Penn (3-5) - Rough season, but should sneak into playoffs at 5-5. Tough draw for a 1-4 seed.
2. Coatesville (7-0) - Off the field issues might be too much to overcome.
3. Downingtown East (7-1) - Tough final two games will tell the story.
4. Garnet Valley (8-0) - Win over CB West, but not much else. Primed for an upset in R2.
5. Neshaminy (4-4) - Just not fast enough to compete with the top teams. Could sneak in at 5-5.
6. Ridley (5-3) - Will finish at 7-3 with a chance for a home playoff game.
7. Pennridge (2-6) - Lost some close ones to playoff teams,
8. Downingtown West (6-1) - No Cville game leaves unanswered questions about this squad.
9. Springford (5-3) - 3 losses to playoff teams, beat the others handily.
10. Souderton (7-1) - Middle of the pack squad that will struggle in playoffs.
11. Abington (2-6) - Rough season.
12. CB West (5-3) - Peaking at the right time, 3 loss team that no one wants to play in R1.
13. Perkiomen Valley (7-1) - Might be a little overvalued at 7-1.
14. Quakertown (4-4) - Should sneak in at 5-5.
15. CB South (5-3) - Tough two games to finish out regular season.
16. Haverford (3-5) -
17. CB East (7-1) - Good squad that could make a little run.
18. Owen J Roberts (4-4) -
19. Cheltenham (4-4) - Should finish 6-4.
20. Avon Grove (4-4) -
21. Conestoga (5-3) - Nice start, but schedule stiffened in recent weeks.
22. Bensalem (2-6) -
23. Pennsbury (7-1) - Missed on this one, they'll be a tough out in the playoffs. Surprise of the District.
24. Boyertown (4-4) -
25. Council Rock North (2-6) -
26. Upper Darby (4-4) -
27. Wissahickon (1-7) - Was Methacton
28. Council Rock South (3-5) -
29. Lower Merion (2-6) -
30. Harry S Truman (2-6) -
31. Norristown (2-6) -
32. Penn Wood (1-7) -
33. William Tennent (1-6) -

Hearing Ortega has been reinstated as head coach of Coatesville. Seems to me as far as football is concerned, everything should go back to normal.

Does anyone have early projections of playoff standings? Any really impactful games this weekend as it pertains to the playoff picture? I am curious what potential Round 1 matchups may look like. Thanks

Did this happen this morning?
Did this happen this morning?
Not sure Fletch but the players and players parents have been advocating very very strong for his reinstatement. Friends w a few players parents on FB and it’s on daily. Tired of reading all the shitty rumors from the (cry baby) Delco posters. Delco4life, IADelco and of course Speed&Jump. Speed … WTF with that response? Coatesville coaching staff is taking note of that little area of Delco…

Coatesville has to be the favorite, especially with Pennsbury just winning after the week 1 stomping.

This could also be the year one of the Bucks team takes district or at least is there.

My guess is that you have to get past the Dowingtowns as well unless Coatesville does this.

Chesmont League 1,
So you are referring to me as a crybaby Delco supporter? Please reference one thing that I have posted on here that references me not supporting Coatesville and Coach Ortega? I openly spoke against all rumors and said that they were just that rumors being posted by people that had little to know knowledge. Not saying I had knowledge but knew most things were bogus coming from Catholic League and Central league followers.

Chesmont League 1,
So you are referring to me as a crybaby Delco supporter? Please reference one thing that I have posted on here that references me not supporting Coatesville and Coach Ortega? I openly spoke against all rumors and said that they were just that rumors being posted by people that had little to know knowledge. Not saying I had knowledge but knew most things were bogus coming from Catholic League and Central league followers.
Reread your post. You didn’t perpetuate the rumors further for the Coatesville post. My apologies to you. Can’t remember if you complained about the Prep after they whooped Garnett Valleys ass last year. We had many who would not let that go.

Why would I complain about the Prep? Did they break any rules when beating Garnet Valley? I thought it would be a much closer game but I was wrong. Posters always point the finger at the Prep and complain about them winning all the time. They aren’t breaking any rules and they do everything the right way. Posters who dislike the Prep for this should direct their ire at PIAA for allowing an unbalanced playing field. That is the issue. St. Joes is an outstanding program and they follow the rules so why bad mouth or complain about them and a culture they have carried on for decades?

Why would I complain about the Prep? Did they break any rules when beating Garnet Valley? I thought it would be a much closer game but I was wrong. Posters always point the finger at the Prep and complain about them winning all the time. They aren’t breaking any rules and they do everything the right way. Posters who dislike the Prep for this should direct their ire at PIAA for allowing an unbalanced playing field. That is the issue. St. Joes is an outstanding program and they follow the rules so why bad mouth or complain about them and a culture they have carried on for decades?
Well said!

Assuming chalk in final two weeks:

Garnet Valley (8-0) vs Conestoga - (9-0)

Pennsbury (7-1) vs Abington, Neshaminy - (9-1)

Perkiomen Valley (7-1) vs Boyertown, TBD - (8-1)
Coatesville (6-1) vs Downingtown East, Avon Grove - (8-1)

Downingtown West (6-1) vs Bishop Shanahan, Downingtown East - (8-1)

CB East (7-1) vs Neshaminy, CB West - (8-2)
Souderton (7-1) vs Upper Dublin, Bensalem - (8-2)

Ridley (5-3) vs Marple Newtown, Upper Darby - (7-3)
Downingtown East (7-1) vs Coatesville, Downingtown West - (7-3)
CB West (5-3) vs CB South, CB East - (7-3)

Springford (5-3) vs Norristown, TBD - (6-3)

CB South (5-3) vs CB West, Pennridge (6-4)
Cheltenham (4-4) vs William Tennent, Wissahickon (6-4)
Conestoga (5-3) vs VFMA, Garnet Valley - (6-4)

North Penn (3-5) vs Pennridge, Abington - (5-5)
Quakertown (4-4) vs Truman, Upper Dublin (5-5)

Shifted Coatesville due to forfeit.

Last edited:
Next two weeks to decide the Chesmont champion and will also provide clarity on the district title. Shanahan lost last week but some points on Coatesville defense last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT