ADVERTISEMENT

Defense?? PCL Version

SJP80

Sep 22, 2013
Battle of the heavyweights coming up in a few weeks. Who has the best defense between SJP and LS? Both have given up few points.

IMHO, SJP has kept some high profile programs in check. In reality, LS really has not played anyone with a dynamic offense. ADVANTAGE HAWKS!!!!!

Unfortunately, there wasn't much at all from the opposition on Saturday night during the first quarter. Still shocked at how it played out. Two weeks will be a solid test - SJP has been stingy on D.

SJP has the better defense from top to bottom. I'm confident in saying that. They are an opportunistic and steady group. LaSalle MIGHT be better offensively.

SJP has the better defense from top to bottom. I'm confident in saying that. They are an opportunistic and steady group. LaSalle MIGHT be better offensively.
So far this year the SJP defense and special teams have scored a fair number of points and generally given the offense great field position, but it's still true that the offense--with only one guy starting, granted it's the QB, who was a regular starter last year--has been better than expected. I certainly would not have expected them to beat St. Peter's and beat Wood by 20 points without Simmons. One key has been committing very few turnovers. Trying to remember if they've committed any so far this year.

I expect a close game on the 20th and a close game if, as seems all but certain, SJP and LaSalle play three weeks later. Huck, how good is LaSalle's defense?

Lets get Brent Musberger and Jimmy the Greek up at the big board and do check marks. Lasalle doesn't get a check until kicking game.

Lets get Brent Musberger and Jimmy the Greek up at the big board and do check marks. Lasalle doesn't get a check until kicking game.
I just hope for the W - I was at game this past weekend and Preps kicker was hitting them from the 40 yd line - granted, its practice, but they would have been good for another 5 yards

Tigano is very capable. He's 20-for-20 on PATs and 5-for-7 on FGs. Karrash might have a stronger leg by a tick or two.

LaSalle's defense is very capable and good upfront, but they are probably more inclined to give up the big play. Even in their shutout win versus FJ two weeks ago they gave up five plays of 25+ yards or more. Outside of QB LS probably has a little more experience at the skill guys. It's close on that side of the ball, but I think LS has shown to be a bit more efficient and balanced than SJP has so far. I do think the difference on defense is greater in favor of SJP. That's not to say that LS is weak defensively because they're not, but SJP has shown to create more scoring chances for their offense from a defensive play. The Hawks' defensive unit plays in the opponent's backfield more often.

Idk Roxy, always said better defenses win championships, perhaps will be same this year?

Haven't seen Prep play this year (LS only twice), but Huck seems to relate that tough, attack, in the backfield style defense that has been synonymous with the Prep style for several years now. Prep, even during LS 5-year title run, always seem to play the regular season tilt much better. Not to discount this game but if they both find themselves in the PCL Champs., obviously that's the game to hang one's hat on.
I think it's more imperative that LS be as "healthy" as possible. Assume won't have Jones, must have Mallee and the current line intact. Such little margin for error when one plays St Joe's, any overt weakness, Prep eats you up alive..
PCL championship (assume) will need to have a '15 like scenario for a LS victory.... most things need to go right, be pretty healthy and Prep be off their game a bit?... IMO

Btw.... Congrats again to the Wizard of Wyndmoor as to your induction into the LS Sports HOF, truly earned brother!! You are the epitome of respect and class..
Getting/staying healthy is as much a concern for the Prep as for LaSalle.

Huck will disagree, but I thought the Prep had a clearly better team than LaSalle in '15. LaSalle had a good defensive plan for the title game, but the Prep offense had some problems of its own making. Shaw was playing hurt and eventually had to leave the game, Kidd-Jackson, who was a factor in the regular season Prep win, didn't suit up for the game for some reason, and McCray came in at the end cold and very inexperienced. And they had a Swift punt return for a TD called back because of a block in the back that Swift didn't need to score--a case of the Prep shooting themselves in the foot.

If LaSalle wins this year (and I'm talking mainly about the November game we all expect), it won't be a 2006-type shock or even a 2015-type surprise. Still expecting a Prep win, though--especially in November.

Last edited:
"if they both find themselves in the PCL Champs"

There is no PCL Championship game, correct? Do I have it right that the winner of the Red Division gets the hubcap? I'm sure if it is a two way tie,head to head will determine. If SJP, LS and AW all tie, is there some convoluted tie breaker to determine the champ?

The following game will be in the PIAA playoffs, but that wont be for the hubcap ... just the right to continue on to win a state championship.

"if they both find themselves in the PCL Champs"

There is no PCL Championship game, correct? Do I have it right that the winner of the Red Division gets the hubcap? I'm sure if it is a two way tie,head to head will determine. If SJP, LS and AW all tie, is there some convoluted tie breaker to determine the champ?

The following game will be in the PIAA playoffs, but that wont be for the hubcap ... just the right to continue on to win a state championship.
You've got it right. There's a Red PCL champion and a Blue one. The Red one might mean a lot to Wood (because they don't play SJP and LaSalle in the playoffs), but to SJP and LaSalle winning the PCL 6A playoffs and moving on in the PIAA playoffs mean a great deal more.

I thought this thread was to discuss defense. Sorry Wiz but I didn't see much defense in that video.

Question for the Prep guys. Why Widener?? It's nowhere near the city!!
Can't give you a complete answer about Widener, Paul, but I did understand there was some unhappiness about the terms at PW. Also, Widener is easier for most of the Prep people who live in Jersey and many who live in Delaware County. It may also be the case that for people who live near 95 in the Northeast, Widener is easier to get to than PW. But it's not a good location for many. I'd love to see a place more central that a few of the PCL schools that are relatively central (Roman, WC, maybe N-G, and SJP) could use, but it would take a minor miracle for it to happen.

Can't give you a complete answer about Widener, Paul, but I did understand there was some unhappiness about the terms at PW. Also, Widener is easier for most of the Prep people who live in Jersey and many who live in Delaware County. It may also be the case that for people who live near 95 in the Northeast, Widener is easier to get to than PW. But it's not a good location for many. I'd love to see a place more central that a few of the PCL schools that are relatively central (Roman, WC, maybe N-G, and SJP) could use, but it would take a minor miracle for it to happen.

Never understood why La Salle University's McCarthy stadium couldn't be a PCL site. Pretty good location for a number of the schools and it's not like the University couldn't use the money. What are they saving the field for? Soccer!

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Never understood why La Salle University's McCarthy stadium couldn't be a PCL site. Pretty good location for a number of the schools and it's not like the University couldn't use the money. What are they saving the field for? Soccer!

It's my understanding that the field isn't good for football anymore. I think they removed some of the lines. Not sure if it's every 5-yard anymore. Also, parking for a LS/SJP game there would probably be a hassle.

With no consideration towards location Widener is a nice complex. The locker rooms are terrific for HS teams. Nice little setting and the field is in good condition. The Wood/SJP game had a good turnout. I'll be interested to see how crazy the parking is for LS/SJP in a couple of weeks. They use the baseball field area for a lot of parking. There is a lot of space up there, but not sure what it actually holds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT