ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Local News writer slips his private school recruiting OPINION into article

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Nate - Mighty slippery of you to slip in your opinion on private schools. Newspapers are suppose to provide the facts in an unbiased manner. Did you ever consider to think that most public schools (Coatesville, Dtown East and West, etc.) run football camps too attracting football recruits... I mean kids... every summer who may want to play for their program. Some of those kids go to private schools who would normally matriculate up to Shanahan but instead change there mind because of football. Naaahhh. Of course that kid isn't changing for sports reasons. Mr. Milano... Isn't one of your top players Braden Harper an ex Shanahan player? Its well known he transferred back to Dtown West to play football. He moved because of sports! Tom Gormely of WC East is another Shanahan kid. . Of course the public school coaches are going to kick private schools who many would say offer a better and more controlled education than there district. BTW - What about Imotep? You really didn't address that area. How about getting all the facts on the table Nate or maybe stick to wrestling articles which you seem to be better suited to write. Point is transfer and recruiting in most cases are for sports reasons.

http://papreplive.com/blog/2015/09/...ngtown-east-and-north-penn-square-off-friday/

Reactions: lilromeo
The only "mistake" in running this story is not getting quotes from Infante, Steinmetz/Gordon, Devlin, or the coach at Shanahan. The piece has a slant because of the quotes the writer got from coaches in the Chestmont, but I don't detect much of the writer 'a own opinion in the story at all, other than I guess his discretion to run it.

Frankly, coaches never seem willing to put their name to these complaints, so with these kind of quotes, I don't see how you don't run this story.

That said, he should have given the PCL coaches the opportunity to respond. I'm guessing he'd get a "no comment" from everybody, but journalistically, you should still do that and print they're response. That's a ballsier phone call that most small time local writers are willing to make, but that's the missing piece from the story.

LaSalle will tell you they don't recruit. Of course we all know that's not true

The only "mistake" in running this story is not getting quotes from Infante, Steinmetz/Gordon, Devlin, or the coach at Shanahan. The piece has a slant because of the quotes the writer got from coaches in the Chestmont, but I don't detect much of the writer 'a own opinion in the story at all, other than I guess his discretion to run it.

Frankly, coaches never seem willing to put their name to these complaints, so with these kind of quotes, I don't see how you don't run this story.

That said, he should have given the PCL coaches the opportunity to respond. I'm guessing he'd get a "no comment" from everybody, but journalistically, you should still do that and print they're response. That's a ballsier phone call that most small time local writers are willing to make, but that's the missing piece from the story.
Nice feedback Rover but disagree on the slant part. If this writers mind was open when drafting this article he would have presented the private school side and got interviews from Meyers at Shanahan and Brady at Malvern which would be local. As far as BTMs comment and I wondering what his take is on transfers? Not speaking for him but it sure seems like transferring to a public is ok for whatever reason. its a double standard and its sports intent of a transfer. That tilts the playing field.

I am a Philadelphia Catholic League guy, if a kid is transferring on his on recourse for whatever reason it's his and family's decision. I personally see no issue with that. I'm sure Catholic League schools are recruiting kids at current schools. I don't agree with that.

BTM - I appreciate your input and glad to hear you are a PCL guy but transfer for football intent is a big issue and has helped many public schools. Sorry but transferring is part of this problem and hasn't been addressed.

Interesting article, if only because the quotes - most often made anonymously in years' past - are now accompanied by the names of those who made them. You are left with the impression that passions surrounding the outcomes seen in football (and basketball) over the past 5 or so years are building. To those who choose to publicly accuse, the outcomes alone won't be sufficient to roll things back. With a legislature that supports private schools through tax credits and public charters through other legislative means, I'd say the burden of proof to make your case is going to be very high. Don't count on a New Jersey-type solution (if what NJ did can even be considered a solution) coming to PA anytime soon.

I am a long time PCL guy---- player,father & fan. The PIAA wanted the PCL for a long time..... in decades past ANY good PCL teams would be met with comments from CB West, Nesh., Ridley, Abington, etc. with comments like "let's see how they would do against the big boys". PCL athletic accomplishments were mocked or marginalized. Personally I would love to go back to the old PCL although that would never happen but do me a favor???? If and when they go to seperate private school championships and, say, North Penn wins the 4A Public school Championship in 2019 don't start crowing that they could beat the private school champs------ just asking a favor. Also, no matter what, it is the parents who make the final decision on where their kid goes to school & I like that.

The article was written about North Penn and Downingtown playing tonight but then moves to cover the recruiting aspect. That's fine. While you're on North Penn's campus to do your research, why not interview the Udinski family. Some journalist!!

I am a long time PCL guy---- player,father & fan. The PIAA wanted the PCL for a long time..... in decades past ANY good PCL teams would be met with comments from CB West, Nesh., Ridley, Abington, etc. with comments like "let's see how they would do against the big boys". PCL athletic accomplishments were mocked or marginalized. Personally I would love to go back to the old PCL although that would never happen but do me a favor???? If and when they go to seperate private school championships and, say, North Penn wins the 4A Public school Championship in 2019 don't start crowing that they could beat the private school champs------ just asking a favor. Also, no matter what, it is the parents who make the final decision on where their kid goes to school & I like that.
Amen Chuvalo. To add the point about PCL is partly true as they've had recent success but I see Wilson, Central Dauphin, Coatesville, Parkland, Dtown East as legitimate shots at state champions. I'm not sold on splitting the splitting on the public and private thing until you gauge over a 10 year period or so.

Seemed convoluted to me, NPenn-Dtown, D-12, recruiting and unless I missed the point, REAL old news on the eve of a potentially great game that could have been touted.
Seriously, there's a question about recruiting....which ever side you take?
My goodness, when did this happen?

Reactions: Spider 2Y Banana
Nice to see some coaches make a stand in a public forum. This can only help high school football get back to what it once was - towns cheering on their local boys on the gridiron.

Amen Chuvalo. To add the point about PCL is partly true as they've had recent success but I see Wilson, Central Dauphin, Coatesville, Parkland, Dtown East as legitimate shots at state champions. I'm not sold on splitting the splitting on the public and private thing until you gauge over a 10 year period or so.
True Chuvalo,
Bishop McFadden made the deal with the devil (PIAA) - he got catholic league championship, city championship and open enrollment! That's the deal he made and the PIAA said "he'll yeah"
So that's why there is only issues with pub to pub transfer! and yes I remember all the "you can have your red and blue championships but you could never play with us big boys" how's that working out for the big bad pubs? Too funny! Looking at my kids 3 rings right now on the book shelf!
W-O-O-D!

With all due respect, you cannot compare the PCL of 20 years ago with the PCL of today. The landscape has totally changed. When the PIAA first started statewide championships in the late 80's and expanded them through the 90's, the PCL was a shell of what it is today. There were more schools (red/blue divisions, etc) , less organization, less full time commitment, and, let's face it, less recruiting. Expect for Lasalle and StJoes , most every other PCL team was comprised of neighborhood kids from feeder parishes. If bishop medevitt or st James were fortunate enough to get a good group of CYO kids to go to their school because that's where they had to go, they could field competitive teams. The advent of open enrollment/ recruiting , while saving the PCL as a league , has killed any chance of a true neighborhood team from ever winning a PCL championship. While the PIAA made the deal and will have to live with it , I'm not sure they would make the same deal today if they knew then what they know now.

With all due respect, you cannot compare the PCL of 20 years ago with the PCL of today. The landscape has totally changed. When the PIAA first started statewide championships in the late 80's and expanded them through the 90's, the PCL was a shell of what it is today. There were more schools (red/blue divisions, etc) , less organization, less full time commitment, and, let's face it, less recruiting. Expect for Lasalle and StJoes , most every other PCL team was comprised of neighborhood kids from feeder parishes. If bishop medevitt or st James were fortunate enough to get a good group of CYO kids to go to their school because that's where they had to go, they could field competitive teams. The advent of open enrollment/ recruiting , while saving the PCL as a league , has killed any chance of a true neighborhood team from ever winning a PCL championship. While the PIAA made the deal and will have to live with it , I'm not sure they would make the same deal today if they knew then what they know now.
Speed and jump, you are right about the pcl never being ever to return to true neighborhood teams in general. McDevitt has taken more hits from laSalle and the prep and even Roman in regards to losing athletes ,but I have never heard a complaint coming from anyone there. Every time I hear these recruitment complaints from some of these AAAA enrollment schools it makes me cringe. People have the right to attend any school they want IMO.

Matt Ortega is now a go to guy on morality? Now, THAT is some funny stuff!

It's obvious the catholic schools recruit so I say why not even the playing field and allow the public schools to do the same.

Although the PCL has open enrollment they ALL do NOT recruit fyi
You can believe that if u want. I went to a catholic school so I know how things work. I don't blame these kids for doing it. You get a better education and a better chance to get recognized athleticly. I just think there isnt an even plying field. The piaa should do a separate ployoffs for private schools or let public schools recruit as well. There is a huge disadvantage for the public schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT