ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders to pretenders from top to bottom

IAdelco

Nov 7, 2011
With the heat acclamation week almost complete and pads ready to be worn, it's a good time to pick preseason favorites in District 1. If possible, list your District playoff brackets from 16 to 1. Obviously alot has to be played out first but we can crown the favorites on paper alone.

Central- Garnet Valley
Suburban One National- North Penn
Suburban One American- Upper Dublin
Chesmont National- Coatesville
Chesmont American- Rustin
Del Val- Academy Park

Think I need help with other leagues and the naming of the Suburban Ones. My apologies for lack of knowledge. Just trying to get a little preseason high school football round table going.

NP is in the Continental with Pridge, Souderton, Tennent all 3 CB schools. The National is both Rocks, Nesh, Pennsbury, Abington, Bensalem and Truman.

The Pac 10 is divided into the Liberty and Frontier divisions. Liberty is S-F, PV, Boyertown, OJR, Methacton and Norristown.

Frontier is Peoenixville, U Merion, PJP II, Upper Perk, Pottsgrove and Pottstown.

NP is in the Continental with Pridge, Souderton, Tennent all 3 CB schools. The National is both Rocks, Nesh, Pennsbury, Abington, Bensalem and Truman.

The Pac 10 is divided into the Liberty and Frontier divisions. Liberty is S-F, PV, Boyertown, OJR, Methacton and Norristown.

Fronier is Peoenixville, U Merion, PJP II, Upper Perk, Pottsgrove and Pottstown.
Thanks for your help Stalk. So I will add Abington, Pottsgrove and Springford to my list of Champions. Next task will be identifying 16 teams making the playoffs and seeding them.

IAdelco I’ve been trying to crank something out but life keeps getting in the way from here to Florida! Ha, anyway, I’ll get something out. I think you and Relayer have the listing right.

Major conferences in D1 are….
Central, Ches Mont Natiional and American, Pioneer Frontier and Liberty, SOL American and Continental, Del Val, Bicentennial

D12 is Phl Catholic Blue and Red, Phl Public American, Independence, Liberty and National

Then the Inter-Ac.

Check it out below.
http://www.maxpreps.com/state/football/pennsylvania.htm

Springfield returns most of their squad from a team that won the Central League last year, and added lacrosse stud Kevin Long to an already potent lineup. Marple has arguably the best quarterback in SEPA in Paoletti, as well as Dash Dulgerian and the Tail back returning. Haverford returns quite a bit including Jordan Mosely, a Temple recruit.

Not sure I'd call Garnet the favorite in the preseason since they lose Jake Buttermore and Guy's injury history.

Just my two cents.

With the heat acclamation week almost complete and pads ready to be worn, it's a good time to pick preseason favorites in District 1. If possible, list your District playoff brackets from 16 to 1. Obviously alot has to be played out first but we can crown the favorites on paper alone.

Central- Garnet Valley
Del Val- Academy Park

Think I need help with other leagues and the naming of the Suburban Ones. My apologies for lack of knowledge. Just trying to get a little preseason high school football round table going.

What's up with Ridley this year with all the grad losses? Looks like a one horse race in D1, ok two with North Penn. Any insightful info from the Green Raider gang?

I think Mosely from HH is a Maryland recruit.
Huck, The knowns thus far for the coming year in the PCL are LaSalle is loaded,the Prep will be a solid Defensive squad and have a good QB/WR combo and Wood will have a very good OL and QB/TE combo. Matt should have a terrific year but not sure if they can reload the RB position. How will West Catholic look now that NG has Albie and company. Will Judge or Roman challenge ? Any additional information would be appreciated,thanks

Huck, The knowns thus far for the coming year in the PCL are LaSalle is loaded,the Prep will be a solid Defensive squad and have a good QB/WR combo and Wood will have a very good OL and QB/TE combo. Matt should have a terrific year but not sure if they can reload the RB position. How will West Catholic look now that NG has Albie and company. Will Judge or Roman challenge ? Any additional information would be appreciated,thanks
Seen WC yesterday. They're really young at some key spots. Return Kidd-Jackson, but lose RB and top WR target. New DC..... will be playing with fresh faces all over the defense including the secondary where I believe 2 new corners went with the first group. LB group looked like the best group to me on the team. NG will roll in 2A pretty easy. Their only issue is depth ( which was expected), that shouldn't be an issue til states.

Reactions: lilromeo
Great topic especially before first scrimmage. I will go top 3 in my opinion.

SOL National: Neshaminy, Abington, Pennsbury...dark horse Truman. This league is very down compared to years past. Neshaminy is going to rebuild, but they are a program in a league with only Bedesem's CR South Golden Hawks have a head coach having more than 5 years as head coach at current spot. Truman interests me with Sanderson and Snyder running the O and D.

SOL Continental: North Penn, CB South, Pennridge...dark horse CB East. The question in this league is QB play. Who replaces Udinski and Hartshorn? North Penn reloads every year and has speed at skill positions. Pennridge's Tarburton is best player in the SOL. He can get 4 yards easily every time, but can he stay healthy doing that? Donnelly has beaten Hollenbach last few years. CB South was almost their last year losing late to Garnet Valley in playoffs.

SOL American: PW, Upper Dublin, Upper Moreland...dark horse H-H. I'll take Chang and Stover over the rest. Cuthbert in year 2 usually improves, UM finds a running back stud always, and Cheltenham has a new coach for the first time in decades. Nase will need more than a year to turn it around.

PCL Red: Prep, Wood, LaSalle...dark horse Judge. Prep also reloads, but has tons of returning talent. McCray to Simmons alone will be tough to stop. Wood is only challenger. LaSalle is good, but not the same caliber talent. Carroll vs Roman for playoff spot.

SOL National: Neshaminy, Abington, Pennsbury...dark horse Truman. This league is very down compared to years past. Neshaminy is going to rebuild, but they are a program in a league with only Bedesem's CR South Golden Hawks have a head coach having more than 5 years as head coach at current spot. Truman interests me with Sanderson and Snyder running the O and D.

SOL Continental: North Penn, CB South, Pennridge...dark horse CB East. The question in this league is QB play. Who replaces Udinski and Hartshorn? North Penn reloads every year and has speed at skill positions. Pennridge's Tarburton is best player in the SOL. He can get 4 yards easily every time, but can he stay healthy doing that? Donnelly has beaten Hollenbach last few years. CB South was almost their last year losing late to Garnet Valley in playoffs.

SOL American: PW, Upper Dublin, Upper Moreland...dark horse H-H. I'll take Chang and Stover over the rest. Cuthbert in year 2 usually improves, UM finds a running back stud always, and Cheltenham has a new coach for the first time in decades. Nase will need more than a year to turn it around.

PCL Red: Prep, Wood, LaSalle...dark horse Judge. Prep also reloads, but has tons of returning talent. McCray to Simmons alone will be tough to stop. Wood is only challenger. LaSalle is good, but not the same caliber talent. Carroll vs Roman for playoff spot.

@bucksf-ball

Your PCL Red is WAY OFF..... Might need to research a little more.

Carroll and Roman won't be competing for a playoff spot since one is 6A and the other is 5A. All four 6A PCL teams will continue to qualify for the playoffs. Not good but it is what it is.

Inter Ac should be a three horse race between heavy weights Malvern and Haverford School with Episcopal being the darkhorse.

Central should be Garnet and Springfield with Marple being the darkhorse.

Pac seems to always come down to Perk Valley, Springford and Pottsgrove.

Chesmont should be Rustin and Unionville as usual with Great Valley as a darkhorse. Thought last year was the year Great Valley would climb the ladder but Rustin still seems to have their number.

The other Chestmont division should come down to DEast and Coatesville with Shanahan and maybe DWest being the darkhorse. If Shanahan could beat two out of these three, they will be in the mix. Tough to overthrow top 3 due to some scheme issues which is mostly coaching. DEast is going to do what DEast does with Matta and Wolfe running the show. However, Coatesville has altered their look last year with a turnover in staff. Offensive Line Coach has really done an outstanding job. He is a real difference maker. If I read it right in the paper last year, I believe his name is Tim Bonner. With another year under his belt I look for Coatesville to pound the rock even more! Should be interesting

Inter Ac should be a three horse race between heavy weights Malvern and Haverford School with Episcopal being the darkhorse.

Chesmont should be Rustin and Unionville as usual with Great Valley as a darkhorse. Thought last year was the year Great Valley would climb the ladder but Rustin still seems to have their number.

The other Chestmont division should come down to DEast and Coatesville with Shanahan and maybe DWest being the darkhorse. If Shanahan could beat two out of these three, they will be in the mix. Tough to overthrow top 3 due to some scheme issues which is mostly coaching. DEast is going to do what DEast does with Matta and Wolfe running the show. However, Coatesville has altered their look last year with a turnover in staff. Offensive Line Coach has really done an outstanding job. He is a real difference maker. If I read it right in the paper last year, I believe his name is Tim Bonner. With another year under his belt I look for Coatesville to pound the rock even more! Should be interesting
Coatesville is gonna run away with the Chesmont National. I was skeptical about the coaches son QB Ortega but heard from a reliable source he's gotten even better. That offense alone will beat many/most teams in District 1. Let's see how good the defense to see how far they'll go in districts and beyond. Shanahan has some big boys upfront and the interchangeable offense of QB, RB and WR so it will depend on the defense whether they end up 2, 3 or 4th in that division. I'm sorry but DWest has no big bodies on either side. They got the QB returning and some d backs but that's it. I guess they always get the benefit of the local news guys due the single school Dtown legacy which was a powerhouse. DEast has Lauletta and some key lineman back plus the Stocker bros from Coatesville (it's ok to transfer!! Just not to Private or Catholic for football!!). They should be solidly in 2nd behind Coatesville and we will see how good they are after PW, Roman and North Penn games to start the season. Henderson will be better and has a stud RB. I don't expect WC East or Avon Grove to challenge.

Can anyone confirm Simmons' health? I knew he went down in the summer that kept him off the 7 on 7 circuit.
I don't know if he'll miss the whole season, but I've heard from a reliable source that he'll miss at least much of it.

Delco: I'm not sure if PV will be there this yr. My nephew goes to PV and he says they lost a lot to grad.

Who else in that league can compete with Springford? That is my question.
IA - Pottsgrove appears to be in pretty good shape to do that. See Easternpafootball article below. I know Perk Valley lost a lot but they've built a good program so we'll see this year.

2017 Team Preview – Pottsgrove Falcons (1)
Written by: David Mika on Thursday, August 10th, 2017
Head Coach: Rick Pennypacker
pottsgrove_a.jpg

Assistant Coaches:

Bill Bradford
Bill Hawthorne
Jim Algeo
Preston Moser
Josh Ford
Eric Engstrom
Brent Haring
Cody Robbins

Team Name: Pottstgrove Falcons

2016 Record: 8-4

2017 Schedule:

Key Starters Lost:

Ryan Finn
Adam Girafalco
Tyler Smith
Joey Paolucci
Dylan Rolando
Malachi Hurt Ramsey

Offensive Starters Returning: (8)

Sr TB Rahsul Faison 6′ – 190
Sr FB Javon Colbert 6’1 – 215
SR OG Parris Janusek 5’11 – 255
SR OG Ephraim Hurt Ramsey 5’11 – 260
Sr WR Bailey Delp 6’4 – 185
SR wr Desmond Austin 6’3 – 200
Jr TE Justin Adams 6’3 – 230
Sr WR Mailk Garner 6’1 – 180

Defensive Starters Returning: (8)

Jr DE Ryan Boldolus 6’2 – 210
Sr DT Michael Dickey 6′ – 260
sr NG Ephraim Hurt Ramsey
Sr OLB Desmond Austin
Sr ILB Nehamiah Collins 6′ – 210
JR OLB Isaiah Glover 5’10 – 80
Sr CB Kobey Baldwin 6’1 – 190
Sr FS Avery Grant – 5’10 – 175

Special Team Starters Returning: (1) Kicker – Nate Kasper – 5’10 – 175 SR

Key Newcomers: (5)

Isaiah Taylor – JR – ILB – 5’11 – 200
Nate Tornetta – JR – C – 6′ – 220
Jay Sisco – JR – QB – 5’11 – 180
Jmai Springfield – JR CB – 6″ – 160
Michael Sereny – JR – Punter

2017 Offensive Outlook: We have a great running back in Faison. He was 1st team all state last year and we know teams will be keying on him. We must be able to have others step up and make plays. Need to find two offensive lineman.

2017 Defensive Outlook: Most of the starters on defense are back. have a very good nucleus of players on defense. We hope to be more athletic this year with some key additions to our team. Taylor and Springfield are newcomers who make us better.

2017 Special Teams Outlook: Our kicker is back and our punter will be new this year. Both are soccer players and both are very good. We are very satisfied with our special teams

Follow EasternPAFootball.com on Twitter @EPAFootball

Gotcha Chestmont. I think I had them in my original post as one of the top 3 teams. I believe they will win one half and Springford or Perk will win the other and then they play the last week of the season for all the marbles.

Seen WC yesterday. They're really young at some key spots. Return Kidd-Jackson, but lose RB and top WR target. New DC..... will be playing with fresh faces all over the defense including the secondary where I believe 2 new corners went with the first group. LB group looked like the best group to me on the team. NG will roll in 2A pretty easy. Their only issue is depth ( which was expected), that shouldn't be an issue til states.

What did you do just roll up to their practice way in the back of Drexel's complex? Just to watch or a specific interest in someone?

Inexperienced at WR for sure. Replacing Jones, Bryson, Barry, and Kent from the last two years won't/can't be easy. I think the RB position can be better. In fact, I'm convinced it will be because I believe the OL will better and the'll have more speed in the backfield.

Their defense has the potential to be their best defensive unit in say 4-5 years, especially in the front seven. The CB's could be a bit green, but not too many teams on their schedule are heavy pass squads. If the front 7 play up to their potential and are disruptive this will help the corners out. They actually return 5-7 significant contributors from that side of the ball.

As in every year they will need to stay healthy to reach their highest potential.

We'll see about NG. The potential is there if the transfer numbers are accurate and everything goes thru. Time will tell...

Romeo,

In the PCL Red the top three are pretty clear. I have a tough time seeing any of the other four being too much of a threat. I think LS/SJP can be epic this year. Life after Swift won't be easy, not to mentioned losing every member of an elite OL. Lots of new faces on offense for the Hawks. Their defense should be very good and that's where most of their experience lies. Having McCray back will help the transition of the younger, less experienced skill kids. I still expect them to be right there. LaSalle should be right with them. They return a ton and are experienced on the both lines. Always a smart and well-coached team. The key will be Isaiah Jones. We hill he be just a good player or will he be an elite, dynamic player? if it's the latter, then don't be surprised if he vies for SEPA POY. A sleeper in that regard right now, but that could change soon. Wood again will be very good. Good foundations across all positions. Coylar should be a year better. OL is always tough and efficient. One area of concern to me right now would be do they have the level of playmakers that Webb, Blackshear, and Thompson were? My sense is probably not, but they'll no doubt still have really good kids doing things with the ball.

As for the other four I don't really have a great feel. Judge is a bit of an unknown to me right now. Ryan lost good seniors and their two best skill position players that were underclassmen last year. Roman has a decent core of solid seniors, but are young otherwise. I haven't heard much about Carroll, but my sense is that they will be better and might not bring up the rear in this division. I think they're headed in the right direction and tho the wins might not be there this year, there is a chance for considerable growth.

Carroll is going to be MUCH improved. Good coaching staff in place with a VERY solid soph class coming up. Soph QB has plenty of potential. I believe they return a pair of DB/WR's as well.
With that being said this season will be tough to really make a significant dent in the PCL Red.

Romeo,

In the PCL Red the top three are pretty clear. I have a tough time seeing any of the other four being too much of a threat. I think LS/SJP can be epic this year. Life after Swift won't be easy, not to mentioned losing every member of an elite OL. Lots of new faces on offense for the Hawks. Their defense should be very good and that's where most of their experience lies. Having McCray back will help the transition of the younger, less experienced skill kids. I still expect them to be right there. LaSalle should be right with them. They return a ton and are experienced on the both lines. Always a smart and well-coached team. The key will be Isaiah Jones. We hill he be just a good player or will he be an elite, dynamic player? if it's the latter, then don't be surprised if he vies for SEPA POY. A sleeper in that regard right now, but that could change soon. Wood again will be very good. Good foundations across all positions. Coylar should be a year better. OL is always tough and efficient. One area of concern to me right now would be do they have the level of playmakers that Webb, Blackshear, and Thompson were? My sense is probably not, but they'll no doubt still have really good kids doing things with the ball.

As for the other four I don't really have a great feel. Judge is a bit of an unknown to me right now. Ryan lost good seniors and their two best skill position players that were underclassmen last year. Roman has a decent core of solid seniors, but are young otherwise. I haven't heard much about Carroll, but my sense is that they will be better and might not bring up the rear in this division. I think they're headed in the right direction and tho the wins might not be there this year, there is a chance for considerable growth.
Who are the RBs ?

Carroll is going to be MUCH improved. Good coaching staff in place with a VERY solid soph class coming up. Soph QB has plenty of potential. I believe they return a pair of DB/WR's as well.
With that being said this season will be tough to really make a significant dent in the PCL Red.
Meaning Wood .

Central- Garnet Valley
Del Val- Academy Park

Trying to finish up the 6A East Top 10 today, then jump on the Westies. Hopefully a good guestimate!

IA - Pottsgrove appears to be in pretty good shape to do that. See Easternpafootball article below. I know Perk Valley lost a lot but they've built a good program so we'll see this year.

2017 Team Preview – Pottsgrove Falcons (1)
Written by: David Mika on Thursday, August 10th, 2017
Head Coach: Rick Pennypacker
pottsgrove_a.jpg

Assistant Coaches: Bill Bradford, Bill Hawthorne, Jim Algeo, Preston Moser, Josh Ford, Eric Engstrom, Brent Haring, Cody Robbins

Team Name: Pottstgrove Falcons

2016 Record: 8-4

2017 Schedule:

Key Starters Lost: Ryan Finn, Adam Girafalco, Tyler Smith, Joey Paolucci, Dylan Rolando, Malachi Hurt Ramsey

Offensive Starters Returning: (8)
Sr TB Rahsul Faison 6′ – 190
Sr FB Javon Colbert 6’1 – 215
SR OG Parris Janusek 5’11 – 255
SR OG Ephraim Hurt Ramsey 5’11 – 260
Sr WR Bailey Delp 6’4 – 185
SR wr Desmond Austin 6’3 – 200
Jr TE Justin Adams 6’3 – 230
Sr WR Mailk Garner 6’1 – 180

Defensive Starters Returning: (8)
Jr DE Ryan Boldolus 6’2 – 210
Sr DT Michael Dickey 6′ – 260
sr NG Ephraim Hurt Ramsey
Sr OLB Desmond Austin
Sr ILB Nehamiah Collins 6′ – 210
JR OLB Isaiah Glover 5’10 – 80
Sr CB Kobey Baldwin 6’1 – 190
Sr FS Avery Grant – 5’10 – 175

Special Team Starters Returning: (1) Kicker – Nate Kasper – 5’10 – 175 SR

Key Newcomers: (5)
Isaiah Taylor – JR – ILB – 5’11 – 200
Nate Tornetta – JR – C – 6′ – 220
Jay Sisco – JR – QB – 5’11 – 180
Jmai Springfield – JR CB – 6″ – 160
Michael Sereny – JR – Punter

2017 Offensive Outlook: We have a great running back in Faison. He was 1st team all state last year and we know teams will be keying on him. We must be able to have others step up and make plays. Need to find two offensive lineman.

2017 Defensive Outlook: Most of the starters on defense are back. have a very good nucleus of players on defense. We hope to be more athletic this year with some key additions to our team. Taylor and Springfield are newcomers who make us better.

2017 Special Teams Outlook: Our kicker is back and our punter will be new this year. Both are soccer players and both are very good. We are very satisfied with our special teams

Follow EasternPAFootball.com on Twitter @EPAFootball

Pottsgrove's ALWAYS been more than able to hold their own against Spring-Ford. I checked Maxpreps (which has records back to 2004) for the scores of their games and Pottsgrove is 10-2 against Spring-Ford.

2016 Did Not Play
2015 Spring-Ford 22-13
2014 Pottsgrove 35-29
2013 Pottsgrove 14-7
2012 Pottsgrove 26-0
2011 Spring-Ford 49-35
2010 Pottsgrove 20-14
2009 Pottsgrove 20-6
2008 Pottsgrove 41-3
2007 Pottsgrove 19-7
2006 Pottsgrove 21-7
2005 Pottsgrove 28-7
2004 Pottsgrove 35-25

Pottsgrove only lost a few kids but they were high leadership kids. If this group coming back is of high character it should be another good year. If not? Well...

Stefen-

While I agree on some level, you need to take the last 7 years since Brubaker got to SF. It's 2-4 pottgsgrove since then with some great games. With 2 games that could've gone either way. The 2013 game was interesting to say the least. Sf held pottsgrove to 60'yards on 40 plays thru 3 quarters. The rest I won't comment on. The 2014 game came down to the wire. The 2015 game was not nearly as close as the score. Overall, it has been a great rivalry for the past 7 years. Wish the Falcons well this year. They will be very good and Pennypacker always gets the most out of his kids. Same can be said for the Staffs at Spring-Ford and Perk Valley.

@D1football22
I said "more than held their own" as opposed to dominate. That is because of Brubaker turning things around there. I was more responding to IADelco's question of "Who else in that league can compete with Springford?"

I was just trying to illustrate that Pottsgrove has more than competed over the years. That's all.

If they play this year it should be a good game. Don't sleep on PJP 2. They've been steadily improving.

Gentleman, if we go back to the original quote I made I believe the PAC is split in 2 now like the Chestmont. When I said who else, meaning who else besides Perk Valley in that side of the league can compete with Springford?

Gentleman, if we go back to the original quote I made I believe the PAC is split in 2 now like the Chestmont. When I said who else, meaning who else besides Perk Valley in that side of the league can compete with Springford?

@IAdelco Gotcha. They're in the Liberty (big school) division.

Spring-Ford
- lost 18 starters from last year's 9-3 squad. They need for their new starters to step in an play like veterans.

Perkiomen Valley - lost 11 starters from last year's 12-1 squad...including BIG guns Sturm and Jaworski. They have a little bit more experience returning than S-F. But, like S-F they need their new starters to play like veterans.

Norristown - returns all but 3 starters from last year's 3-9 team. Maybe they jump into the convo with S-F and PV?

Boyertown - they lost 17 starters from last year's 3-7 team.

Owen J Roberts - No idea. They just haven't been the same since Ryan Brumfield played his last game in 2010. Best facility in the PAC though...maybe all D1. Can't understand why D1 continues to ram P-W site down our collective throats. But, I digress...

Methacton - No idea what's going on here.

Nice write up on the PAC12 Stefen. To digress even further OJR stadium up on the hill in Bucktown is definitely one of finer facilities in D1. Nothing likes those side food vendors they have inside the stadium. All those kids and OJR should be right there w SF and PV.

Reactions: StefenD001
Nice write up on the PAC12 Stefen. To digress even further OJR stadium up on the hill in Bucktown is definitely one of finer facilities in D1. Nothing likes those side food vendors they have inside the stadium. All those kids and OJR should be right there w SF and PV.

Yeah, the Liberty division is up for grabs. No idea what the JV/youth programs are like for those schools. That would probably be valuable info. OJR definitely has a top notch facility. I think they paid $9M-$10M...back in 2002. They have their fair share of Richie Richs in Bucktown. S-F ain't no slouches either $$$ wise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT