ADVERTISEMENT

Changing of the guard

Salvucci

Dec 23, 2016
NP now 0-2 with a 2-0 Pennsbury up next, still have NP favored, but obviously everyone that said NP was going to be as good or better than last year were mistaken.
Also, shows Lasalle's win last week less impressive after D-East puts up so many points and LS loses tonight.

Gotta respect the Prep and their fans, no bragging pre-season, no"we are loaded", no "we are better than last year". Just go on the road to FL and take care of business.

Reactions: lilromeo
Not sure what has changed? NP has been playing a great non-league schedule for the past decade. They have got off to slow starts before and rebounded to be a factor in the playoffs. They can easily still go 8-2 and I guarantee there is not one D1 coach who wants to see them in the round of 16.

97% of D1 teams would be 0-2 playing those first 2 opponents.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Well, they gave up 100 pts in 2 games and are 0-2. That seems to be a change and very interesting considering all the earlier posts. Being very kind btw....

Is the score on Suburban One Sports wrong? They have North Penn winning 61 -44 over DTE. Is that wrong?

Is the score on Suburban One Sports wrong? They have North Penn winning 61 -44 over DTE. Is that wrong?

DTE won by that score. I don't see NP losing again in the regular season. Beck has been in this spot too many times to push the panic button.

Reactions: green_beans
I'm absolutely shocked NP gave up 61 points. Have they ever given up that many points in the "Beck era?" And how good is DTE?

Well, DTE certainly comes to mind, as does Garnet Valley, and even though Coatesville lost to decent CV team, I would include them as D1 6A teams. Then if things go down hill PV, Nesh, and Pennsbury may pass them.

Salvucci, it's way too early to count out a team like NP. They are playing tons of new kids at various spots. Give them some time to gel and get coached up. I doubt anyone in District 1 will want to see them in the playoffs. I still think they at least make it to the semifinals in District 1 playoffs, and probably beyond that.

HSF

Agree,that very well may be true, but I believe you read the same posts, that stated NP was going to be as good and maybe even better than last year. Today they are 0-2 and gave up 100 pts in 2 games to 2 good local teams, as they say "the film doesn't lie'. Like another poster likes to point out, these other teams will improve as well.

Not sure what has changed? NP has been playing a great non-league schedule for the past decade. They have got off to slow starts before and rebounded to be a factor in the playoffs. They can easily still go 8-2 and I guarantee there is not one D1 coach who wants to see them in the round of 16.

Agreed totally Relayer

NP started 0-3 in 2013 and was outscored 118-16 in those 3 games. Guess what? They won 10 straight and made it all the way to the district championship as an 11 seed. That's a very interesting game vs Pennsbury next week.

I think North Penn will be fine. Dick Beck is a great coach. North Penn has speed and talent. Their line is getting smaller though. Downingtown capitalized on North Penn turnovers that were uncharacteristic of the program. Giving up a kickoff return for TD, fumble a kickoff return, interceptions off boobled passses, and getting stopped on 4th down inside Downingtown territory were all major plays. Taking nothing away from Downingtown East, they are very very good! Downingtown used 4 different running backs who all had great TD runs. Great high school game.

If North Penn loses to Pennsbury, CB South, and Pennridge, not saying they will, they will be 5-5 at worst and be a team that no #1 seed would want to see first round in playoffs.

I can't see North Penn losing to Pennsbury. They have beaten the Falcons something like 16 straight times. I know Snyder and his archaic ground and pound are gone, but Pennsbury's two wins against pretty good smaller schools doesn't leave me thinking they are a powerhouse yet. North Penn lost to two very credible upper tier 6A powers. I am not sure NP is that good this year, but nothing Pennsbury has done so far makes me think they can handle NP.

No way Pennsbury beats NP. Maybe if Snyder was there they would have a chance. They are running a spread offense but don't have the personnel to do it. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole!

HSF

Agree,that very well may be true, but I believe you read the same posts, that stated NP was going to be as good and maybe even better than last year. Today they are 0-2 and gave up 100 pts in 2 games to 2 good local teams, as they say "the film doesn't lie'. Like another poster likes to point out, these other teams will improve as well.

Salvucci, anyone saying NP would be better this year than last year is uninformed, delusional or has one hell of a crystal ball!
Last year’s team was unusually good and will go down as….if not their best, certainly one of their very best teams ever. Ever! Take St. Joe’s out of the picture and you’re looking at the state champion.

For this year they might run out like SJP did in ’14 or Wood in ‘16 after losses (1-3 SJP, 0-2 Wood) vs quality. Maybe not to Hershey but D1 is so open, especially after seeing Coatesville Friday.

McShane running spread and trying to fit a system in that doesn't go with players shocking. Ha ha. I remember he was a Bensalem running spread no huddle and not having success. Wonder how long he has at Pennsbury before he is on hot seat. Pennsbury people hated Snyder's wing T and they won at least.

Concerned but no panic just yet. Many new transfer faces, smallish d line, poor gap integrity, poor play calling, turnovers, missed assignments, early timeouts do to confusion and individuals not playing as a team. Beck will straighten it out , np will run the table and go 8-2 but as said above d1 may be wide open.

Bucks, where has McShane had success? Also, I don't believe he calls the O or the D (not saying he doesn't have a large role in the system, game planning, personnel, etc.). However, how many head coaches at the high school level do not call either the offense or the defense?

High school teams couldn't beat an average D3 team.

McShane running spread and trying to fit a system in that doesn't go with players shocking. Ha ha. I remember he was a Bensalem running spread no huddle and not having success. Wonder how long he has at Pennsbury before he is on hot seat. Pennsbury people hated Snyder's wing T and they won at least.

Concerning PSB and the coach let's be fair. For starters it's only year two for that staff. It's obvious that the overall talent level there is down some compared to some of them Snyder teams. Who arguably underachieved at times when you look at talent/athleticism because they ran an archaic 1960's offense, that could only take you so far. Right?

Pennsbury is (2-0) and has scored 68 points. It took them six weeks to score 66 points last year. That's improvement, right? Now, I think this week will be tough sledding for them versus NP, but it's not unreasonable that PSB could be (8-1) heading into the Neshaminy game. Is that not winning?

It seems that from an athleticism standpoint the well is a bit dry for PSB right now, but it's a big school and it's not unreasonable to think that the well could fill up some more in coming years. If that happens then running a more modern offense could pay off.

Burrs, you're right they certainly seem improved this year and for any new regime, that is all you can ask. This week will be a test. With NP struggling right now, you would think PSB will at least be competitive in this game. I am very interested to see how it plays out, although as I stated earlier, I see NP winning handily.

I also understand your point about modern offense. I just don't know why he is seemingly emphasizing his skill position players (by going to the spread) instead of emphasizing his OL (sticking with the old ground and pound). That's not to say spread teams don't need good offensive lines, but they become somewhat devalued when offenses attempt to spread people out. PSB traditionally, and I believe to a certain extent this year, has a very solid OL. Why not try to take full advantage of that? My thinking is OL is greater than skill, yet he is trying to feature his skill instead of his line.

Hopefully this is a somewhat coherent response lol....it at least made sense in my head!!!

Concerning PSB and the coach let's be fair. For starters it's only year two for that staff. It's obvious that the overall talent level there is down some compared to some of them Snyder teams. Who arguably underachieved at times when you look at talent/athleticism because they ran an archaic 1960's offense, that could only take you so far. Right?

Pennsbury is (2-0) and has scored 68 points. It took them six weeks to score 66 points last year. That's improvement, right? Now, I think this week will be tough sledding for them versus NP, but it's not unreasonable that PSB could be (8-1) heading into the Neshaminy game. Is that not winning?

It seems that from an athleticism standpoint the well is a bit dry for PSB right now, but it's a big school and it's not unreasonable to think that the well could fill up some more in coming years. If that happens then running a more modern offense could pay off.

I am not sure that big schools like Pennsbury, which is huge with around 1300 students in this class, can have real "down" years in talent. Maybe they dont have a superstar, but the pool is too big not to have talent, especially two years in a row. That is usually a coaching problem.

It may be that PHS's "coaching problem" is more of an adjustment throughout the program, all of the way through middle school to the new coach's system, so the problem may not be McShane, just an adjustment period. PHS stressed run, run, run, and only passed a few times if necessary during a game. As a result, their WRs were terrible route runners and had trouble adjusting to errant throws, just because of a lack of practice. Given a few years, and a system in place from middle school up, Pennsbury could be a beast again in a few years, but a modern beast at that. If that happens, then Neshaminy and North Penn both need to look out as Pennsbury has a pretty close enrollment to NP and has a pretty good edge on Neshaminy in population.

Neshaminy switched to a spread offense after Schmidt left, but since Schmidt threw some from the I formation and Neshaminy has had some semblance of a passing attach through the years, Cordelli, Gallagher, Wiater, Franklin, Vergantino, it was not an issue for Schmidt to throw some and the change to the spread under Frederick and Wilmont with a gunslinger like Jones was easier than the change Pennsbury faces. Remember Snyder had a good QB in Alley, and still didn't create a passing attack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT