ADVERTISEMENT

CB West/Easton

D1 Transplant

Dec 7, 2014
This is a little early. My buddy is coming down from Easton and we're going to attend the CB West-Easton game in a few weeks. Is CB West on-line purchase only, or can I buy tickets at the gate?

This is a little early. My buddy is coming down from Easton and we're going to attend the CB West-Easton game in a few weeks. Is CB West on-line purchase only, or can I buy tickets at the gate?
What’s the word you’re hearing on the good guys?

And bucks - I know CB West was good last year, bringing a bunch of guys back?

A very talented senior class has to be replaced at QB, TE / DE, wings, LT, receivers, and most of the secondary. Bring back a lot up front on both sides of the ball and a fantastic RB.

Reactions: lilromeo

Rover,
You probably have more intel on the Rovers. I don't live up in that area any more, not terribly far away, but don't get the info I used to get. My buddies up there, life long Easton folks, aren't privilege to much info since the coaching change. I have heard a few things, one being the talent in the school the last few years isn't what it was 10 years ago. This year being no exception. The other, some of their younger potential talent are mulling their options, knowing they may not start until their senior year.

So here’s what I’ve got on Easton. Lots of talk of being a lot more comfortable in year 2 of the new coaching staff and having the benefit of a full offseason, particularly with the amount of 7-on-7 they played for maybe the first time in program history (I’ve heard particularly good things about how they performed at Ohio State, where Senneca’s former Penn State teammate Tony Johnson is on the GA staff).

Offensively, junior Cole Ordway is back for year two at quarterback. I was curious if sophomore Sean McPeek (6’4 200, all area lacrosse player as a freshman) would make a run at QB after being the backup as a freshman, but it sounds like they’ve moved him to wide receiver. McPeek, JC Wilson (6’3 195), Jasir Frutchey (6’4 215), and Cael DiSora (6’3 205, Lafayette lacrosse commit) give them a huge receiving corps. Running back Will Day (5’9 185) broke his foot in their second game of the season last year and missed all of his junior year, he is back healthy and will be the focal point of their offense. He ran for 440 yards as a sophomore. Dorian Thomas (5’10 170) was their leading rusher in Day’s absence and is also back, I’d expect them to try and get Day and Thomas on the field at the same time, either with two backs or Thomas in the slot. They’ll be interesting at tight end too - junior Kurtis Crossman (6’3 220) is back after mainly serving as the blocking TE as a sophomore. He’s also a state qualifier at 215 as a wrestler and is a Division I baseball recruit. Justin Cosover (6’1 190) played a lot of H-back snaps as a freshman and could see a similar role this year. He was a state qualifier in wrestling as a freshman last year and is a national top 100 recruit on the mat in the class of 2027. Up front, they return four starters in the offensive line - juniors Elijah Grovesnor (6’4 265), Gavin Crosson (6’1 280) and senior Jackson Fuehrer (6’3 240) and sophomore Algee Macon (6’2 225).

They were not very good on offense last year, but that was also starting sophomores at quarterback, left tackle, right guard, and tight end, and a freshman at right tackle. They bring back ten starters overall, so we’ll see if they were bad because they were young, or bad because they’re just not very good.

Defensively, Crossman and Macon come back at defensive end, Cosover will takeover at middle linebacker, Wilson and Frutchey will be the safeties, and Thomas is back at corner. Seniors Mehki Grant and Mason Fleming are back at outside linebacker as their two leading tacklers. Junior Marquis Lebossier (6’0 255) had a role at defensive tackle as a sophomore and should be the main guy there. Again, they bring back six starters and a lot of kids who got snaps last year. I think they have real questions at corner and nickel, where there doesn’t seem to be an obvious answer. I also wonder about defensive line depth if Macon and Crossman are going to play a lot of offense.

So here’s what I’ve got on Easton. Lots of talk of being a lot more comfortable in year 2 of the new coaching staff and having the benefit of a full offseason, particularly with the amount of 7-on-7 they played for maybe the first time in program history (I’ve heard particularly good things about how they performed at Ohio State, where Senneca’s former Penn State teammate Tony Johnson is on the GA staff).

Offensively, junior Cole Ordway is back for year two at quarterback. I was curious if sophomore Sean McPeek (6’4 200, all area lacrosse player as a freshman) would make a run at QB after being the backup as a freshman, but it sounds like they’ve moved him to wide receiver. McPeek, JC Wilson (6’3 195), Jasir Frutchey (6’4 215), and Cael DiSora (6’3 205, Lafayette lacrosse commit) give them a huge receiving corps. Running back Will Day (5’9 185) broke his foot in their second game of the season last year and missed all of his junior year, he is back healthy and will be the focal point of their offense. He ran for 440 yards as a sophomore. Dorian Thomas (5’10 170) was their leading rusher in Day’s absence and is also back, I’d expect them to try and get Day and Thomas on the field at the same time, either with two backs or Thomas in the slot. They’ll be interesting at tight end too - junior Kurtis Crossman (6’3 220) is back after mainly serving as the blocking TE as a sophomore. He’s also a state qualifier at 215 as a wrestler and is a Division I baseball recruit. Justin Cosover (6’1 190) played a lot of H-back snaps as a freshman and could see a similar role this year. He was a state qualifier in wrestling as a freshman last year and is a national top 100 recruit on the mat in the class of 2027. Up front, they return four starters in the offensive line - juniors Elijah Grovesnor (6’4 265), Gavin Crosson (6’1 280) and senior Jackson Fuehrer (6’3 240) and sophomore Algee Macon (6’2 225).

They were not very good on offense last year, but that was also starting sophomores at quarterback, left tackle, right guard, and tight end, and a freshman at right tackle. They bring back ten starters overall, so we’ll see if they were bad because they were young, or bad because they’re just not very good.

Defensively, Crossman and Macon come back at defensive end, Cosover will takeover at middle linebacker, Wilson and Frutchey will be the safeties, and Thomas is back at corner. Seniors Mehki Grant and Mason Fleming are back at outside linebacker as their two leading tacklers. Junior Marquis Lebossier (6’0 255) had a role at defensive tackle as a sophomore and should be the main guy there. Again, they bring back six starters and a lot of kids who got snaps last year. I think they have real questions at corner and nickel, where there doesn’t seem to be an obvious answer. I also wonder about defensive line depth if Macon and Crossman are going to play a lot of offense.
Sounds like West is going to be dealing with a physical mismatch. That's a lot of big bodies.

Sounds like West is going to be dealing with a physical mismatch. That's a lot of big bodies.
I agree and also a lot of experience. Hope its a good contest. I have no idea of Wests strengths this year other than Clemmens.

I agree and also a lot of experience. Hope its a good contest. I have no idea of Wests strengths this year other than Clemmens.
Separately I saw another pre season pole with South replacing West tin the top ten which is understandable and North Allegheny ranked #2 behind the Prep. So who is the favorite in 6 A out West PCC , NA or another ??

Separately I saw another pre season pole with South replacing West tin the top ten which is understandable and North Allegheny ranked #2 behind the Prep. So who is the favorite in 6 A out West PCC , NA or another ??
PCC opens up with Saint Francis Yikes !!!!! NA opens against Saint Johns . Good for them!!

We’ll see what the experience means. Easton’s new head coach last year essentially went with a “play the kids” strategy. They went 3-8, and were the wildly inconsistent.

In the “good losses” department: They had the ball inside the 20 with 6 minutes left against Parkland (12-1, D11 runner ups and a top 5ish team in the state) down 24-20, then fumbled. That’s probably the best they played all year. They were in a 23-20 game in the final ten minutes against ACC, who was a top 10 team in 4A all year and had the ball in ACC territory before punting and giving up a late score. And they lost 20-19 to 4A D11 champ Bethlehem Catholic where they chose to go for 2 and the win late rather than kick an extra point to force OT.

But they also lost 40-0 to Nazareth,27-0 to Whitehall, 42-14 to Emmaus, and 47-12 to P’Burg, the worst loss in rivalry history. So really competitive against some good teams, but some really really ugly losses against the others.

They’re huge at receiver, and have some decent size on the lines. Ten years ago, I’d say without reservation that they’d be able to convert that to physicality, and be a tough match up. But it’s been a while since there was a truly tough, physical Easton team. They’re not going to be particularly fast, so they’re going to need to be physical as hell to achieve some goals.

I’m most curious to see what Crossman, Grovesnor, and Macon looks like a year older and more mature. Crossman and Cosover both had great wrestling seasons as first year starters last year at 170 and 215 for a team that went to state finals - they’ve both been in huge spots and performed well (Crossman essentially had the win in state semis that put them in the final, Cosover made the D11 final as a freshman) so they’ve got big game experience, even if not on the football field. And I think they had high expectations for Day last year, and the injury ended that in the first quarter of the second game of the season. I’ve heard that Lehigh really liked him at camp, but wants to see what his senior film looks like.

Reactions: Aragorn
Kyle Craig from Lehigh Valley Live reporting no Jasir Frutchey tonight for Easton. Wideout/safety is probably Easton’s best player

Good half of high school football.

14-6 CB West. Bucks scored after a 40 yard QB run down to the 1 following a short Easton punt. Easton drove the length of the field for a touchdown, but the extra point got blocked. Then CB West returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown, for those of you following along.

I’m not there. Did they return a punt for a TD? Thanks.

In other games, NP leading DTE 14-10 at half. It would be nice to see NP bounce back to the top of the SOL.

Easton had two drives stall out in/near the red zone. CB West had one drive inside the 25 and got stopped on downs before the touchdown.

In other games, NP leading DTE 14-10 at half. It would be nice to see NP bounce back to the top of the SOL.
Easton’s kicking game is awful, 14 yard punt gave CB West the ball at midfield for their first TD. Then, the blocked extra point. Then the kick return touchdown.

Easton also had a TD taken off the board for an illegal man downfield on a weird scramble play. Also was roughing the passer on the play and penalties offset.

Why didn’t Easton try a FG attempt on either red zone possession? Do they not have a kicker? Sorry I’m following digitally.

I’m seeing Liberty is up 28-7 on Pennridge at half. I think Pennridge is a mess, but but showing from a Liberty squad that has struggled for a while.

Southern Lehigh up 28-7 on Quakertown

Freedom beating Torey Pines, California 17-14

Neshamning up 14-7 on Emmaus

Northampton up 14-2 on Pennsbury

Nazareth was up 21-7 on Hazleton

Good to have out of area games again, and early returns are good in D11

Easton making the adjustment by putting a tight end on the field pays dividends, touchdown out of half, sprung by big Kurtis Crossman blocks. DiSora drops the pass on the two pointer. 14-12 Bucks

Pennridge score is surprising, no?

East is down 14-0 to Ridley.
Liberty is interesting - Antonio Fontanez, who threw for 2200 yards at ACC last year as a sophomore, transferred to St France’s in Baltimore in the spring, then last week came back to the Valley and enrolled at Liberty. He was at Liberty as a freshman.

They also mostly relied on two sophomore last year, Jake Pucszyn, who is a D1 basketball recruit at receiver, and Gabe Green ran for 1,300 yards as a 10th grader. Pretty good skills guys with an actual quarterback now makes them intriguing.

Reactions: Aragorn and HSFB99
Easton making the adjustment by putting a tight end on the field pays dividends, touchdown out of half, sprung by big Kurtis Crossman blocks. DiSora drops the pass on the two pointer. 14-12 Bucks
CB Wests Ryan Clemmens is all over the field making plays. He is a stud player on both sides of the ball.

CB West touchdown, then Easton throws a pick in the end zone after a big pass play. This one might be over.

21-12 Bucks

CB West runs for 243 yards, throws for 52

Morelli scores a touchdown on the ground and returns a kick for a TD

Defensively, two picks for the Bucks

Easton definitely wore down in the second half

Easton ran for 191 yards, threw for 175. Had the ball in CB West territory on six of seven drives, only produced two touchdowns. That’s the game right there.

Reactions: bucksftball
I must say I’m quite surprised to see Easton outgain West.

Bucks - are the LB injuries long term? As you know, west has been plagued by injuries the past few years. I swear there is something with everyone playing on turf now (I think the grass was easier on the legs/knees/feet), but maybe I’m just an old man LOL.

I must say I’m quite surprised to see Easton outgain West.

Bucks - are the LB injuries long term? As you know, west has been plagued by injuries the past few years. I swear there is something with everyone playing on turf now (I think the grass was easier on the legs/knees/feet), but maybe I’m just an old man LOL.
Not totally surprised at Easton having more yardage than West, although the article Rover just posted had it closer at 297-291. Easton has a lot of very good athletes, two excellent backs and a solid quarterback. (And West was breaking in an entirely new secondary / LBs) I'll write more of my impressions a little later.

It sounds like one LB is week to week, one is a month or so out and the third is done for the year. With the number of ACLs that this team has had (and another one last night for the left tackle? I haven't heard anything yet on his injury but it looked serious) I have to agree that the time on turf is at least partly to blame. West has a beautiful practice field, but it's also turf so they never get a break from it.

Reactions: HSFB99 and lilromeo
I'm going to say this was a good football game, not necessarily because it was that well played, as both teams made their share of mistakes, but because it was physical, intense game for 48 minutes. Easton walks away saying a couple plays or calls go their way and they win, and West thinks they win easily if they execute better and clean up the mistakes. Easton is very talented, especially when they get their big receiver back, giving them a pair of studs on the outside to go with two very good backs. They didn't back down from West's physical run game, and as Rover noted, didn't really wear out until the second half of the 4th quarter when West started picking up some bigger chunks on the ground. Easton is going to give teams some matchup problems because you've got to cover sideline to sideline while stopping what should be a very good running game. They also seemed to play a pretty disciplined game. Sometimes a team just needs that one win to get their season going... a tough one coming up though this week.

If you're West, I think you're happy to survive that one, and you can take some positives away: A lot of inexperienced youngsters and some upperclassmen who were stuck behind a good senior class contributed and made an impact. QB showed a lot of promise in his first start with some breakaway speed. On his long run he scores easily if he doesn't bobble the ball. Made a couple of clutch throws when he needed to and seemed to manage the game well. Clemens was unbelievable, making plays all over the field in his first game at LB. (And one of the best open-field tackles I've every seen) Not sure if he'll stay there if other LBs get healthy or if he'll go back to the secondary. Vance Morelli had quite the coming out party with the big pick, TD run and KO return. Just glided down the field on the return, very impressive for someone who was a role player last year. If they can get their speedy receiver McGowan back on the field also, they have him, Morelli, Clemens, Miller (QB) as offensive weapons. Defensively they bent a lot but came up with big plays when needed. They remind me a bit of the 2021 team (9-3) that just seemed to will themselves to wins. Defensive line was very good but the Easton backs were squeezing through some small holes where you expected the West LBs to clean it up. Plenty to work on getting ready for what I'd expect to be an improved Upper Dublin team.

Thanks for the recap Bucks. Did you mention West lost their big OT to injury during the game? Any word on that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT