ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic league?

red- can anyone touch the prep? Blue is NG that good is LC as well?
A few thoughts about the Red. I don't know anything about the teams Wood has beaten, but it's hard to imagine given what they lost and given that they were weaker last year than in the several previous years that they have much of a chance to beat the Prep.

As for LaSalle, anyone at the Prep would be very foolish to think it's easy to beat LaSalle twice, this year or any year. Last year the championship game was close, as it was the previous two years. And of course there was 2015. The fact that the Prep has been expected to win takes some of the pressure off LaSalle--remember that when LaSalle had Schumer (and Gordon as coach) and it was thought their talent was closer to the Prep's that the Prep actually won the championship games more easily. Also, the fact that this is Roken's first year as a head coach has to be taken into consideration. I think he'll be fine, but that game against IMG had me thinking the team was less disciplined than they should have been. Losing a couple of games early in the season isn't something that's happened to the Prep in a while--since 2015 actually--so it's possible this year's start might throw them off track somewhat.

Reactions: Stalker
3 or 4 TD's is a stretch. When was the last time LaSalle was blown out? They don't get blown out. They hang in every game.
Just to note that last year's LaSalle-SJP regular season was a blow-out. There was a running clock early in the third quarter.

Reactions: district1elite
Just to note that last year's LaSalle-SJP regular season was a blow-out. There was a running clock early in the third quarter.
alright but you get my point. They don't get blown out often. Obviously this prep team is better than last years team but I do believe that this years LaSalle team is more improved than the prep.
Of course the prep is the favorite. I just don't see a 4 TD route.

alright but you get my point. They don't get blown out often. Obviously this prep team is better than last years team but I do believe that this years LaSalle team is more improved than the prep.
Of course the prep is the favorite. I just don't see a 4 TD route.
I'm not sure this year's Prep team is better than last year's. Mason, Freeman, and Talley all made big plays in key situations and all were probably under-appreciated.
Hard to compare last year's team with this year's on the basis of the first three games. Last year they were down a touchdown to St. Frances in the third quarter when the game was called and then won two very close games against St. Peter's and Good Counsel, in good part because of turnovers. This year's first three games were against, probably, somewhat stronger opponents. The Prep could be 3-0 and being talked about as the best team in the country, but they could also be 0-3. So they might turn out to be better from here on out, but they might not.

I know this sounds like a lot of "on the one hand ... but on the other hand ..." That's the truth of the matter, though.

La Salle has two weeks to get ready. Steinmetz knows game plans and he knows how to make adjustments, so we shall see. I'm thinkin' a quick beef sandwich and continental fries at the Ale House and then over to Wissahickon. And I'll say Prep wins this one but as everyone has mentioned, it's tough to get two wins in a year so that means La Salle winds the re-match.

Prep probably has as much speed as any team in country except a few. I thought IMG had the speed advantage, but no teams in Pa. will. I think the supporting cast of the Prep is very very underrated.(that would be the other WRs other than Harrison and LB's other than Trot) LS will be very well prepared but this will be a 3 td win at least for prep. Look for halftime score to be somewhere around 24-10. Prep puts a few more on in second, LS scores one.
I look for the playoff game to be really good game as time and bad competition will be the great equalizer in LS favor.

red- can anyone touch the prep? Blue is NG that good is LC as well?
I seen NG vs Bonner. NG is playing who's on their schedule. This week will tell us a lot about the blue division. NG plays Egan. Probably the best team they have seen this year. All previous games been against sub par opponents. Haven't seen LC this yr. I'll see them against O'hara in a few wks.

You can prepare all you want for 2 weeks but you cant rep game speed like prep has.

Last edited:
La Salle has two weeks to get ready. Steinmetz knows game plans and he knows how to make adjustments, so we shall see. I'm thinkin' a quick beef sandwich and continental fries at the Ale House and then over to Wissahickon. And I'll say Prep wins this one but as everyone has mentioned, it's tough to get two wins in a year so that means La Salle winds the re-match.
Yeah I was in favor of LaSalle not getting blown out. I can not get on board with LaSalle winning, either game.
Ive seen LaSalle play twice. So far it seems like offensively(LaSalle) everything goes through one player. Sam Brown is a stud, no doubt. But as LaSalle showed in the past a very good team can minimize one players contributions. One player will not beat prep.

Here are a few early Power Ratings egs that are admittedly shaky per needing 7 games for more accuracy. After 7 games, I refer to them as less shaky? Still interesting so here are a few teams. Interesting that it is reasonably suggestive working with points and yardage alone. But bottom line, points win games, however you get em.

St. Joseph’s Prep 169.25
LaSalle College 153.24

Harrisburg 159.54
Wilson 157.03
Central Dauphin 154.54

Downingtown West 153.54
North Penn 146.93

Easton 148.03

North Allegheny 147.50
McDowell 144.51

Sounds like blue is wide open. Much more parity than red.

Top to bottom it's a more competitive league than the Red, but that's because SJP is so much better than everyone else and LS could be so much better than everyone else besides the Hawks. We'll see.

With that said, it's N-G's league to win. Their defense is pretty good and they create a lot of havoc for teams. They'll create havoc for every offense in the BLUE division because all of those teams have warts. N-G's M.O. is simple. Create turnovers, score off of turnovers, create field position, and wait for arguably the best player in the league to break a play. Now, their not a perfect team, as they have bouts of shoddy play offensively, the passing game is a work-in-progress, and penalties have hurt them some. I just don't see a team in the Blue having enough to beat them at this point. My question is can N-G make serious noise in the PIAA 3A state playoffs? Without really knowing the landscape, I'd think the answer is yes they can. I'd like to see them be a little less inconsistent offensively and clean up the mistakes a little more, but on the backs of a a fast, athletic defense they should be in the hunt.

Was thinking of going to the Neumann vs Carroll game, just heard Carroll’s QB is out, may go to the west game instead, thought Carroll was the one team in the blue that could maybe beat NG, now maybe west? Like I read earlier the last time I seen Neuman was vs Bonner and they were down in the 4th, but pulled it out , if Carroll’s QB is out I’d rather go see a better game

Was thinking of going to the Neumann vs Carroll game, just heard Carroll’s QB is out, may go to the west game instead, thought Carroll was the one team in the blue that could maybe beat NG, now maybe west? Like I read earlier the last time I seen Neuman was vs Bonner and they were down in the 4th, but pulled it out , if Carroll’s QB is out I’d rather go see a better game
Thats a huge hit........ Carroll can still keep it close with their defense. If NG struggled to move the ball against Bonner, Carroll's defense is 2x better.

Thats a huge hit........ Carroll can still keep it close with their defense. If NG struggled to move the ball against Bonner, Carroll's defense is 2x better.

Disagree that they-re two times better. They're comparable. Also, Carroll will be down several key contributors this week. But yes, the QB is their engine on offense. Without him it becomes very difficult to win this game.

Went to prep Roman last night not bad, went to NG vs Carroll tonight wow! The first half was awesome especially the last 2 minutes Carroll pulled everything they could, 2nd half all NG, it’s not a 2 man show down there like the last time I seen them, they got some weapons

Ohara was down to begin with and are decimated with injuries. Lost 3 really good assistants but there is zero depth in these programs. Played 5 or 6 freshmen on defense. Kids who will be good players but should be playing freshmen football.

Vince Lombardi wasn’t making that a game last night. And in all fairness Catholic League Blue is a way better than average league this year. There will be some 6a qualifiers in District 1 who would struggle to win two games in that league this year.

Reactions: Relayer
Ohara was down to begin with and are decimated with injuries. Lost 3 really good assistants but there is zero depth in these programs. Played 5 or 6 freshmen on defense. Kids who will be good players but should be playing freshmen football.

Vince Lombardi wasn’t making that a game last night. And in all fairness Catholic League Blue is a way better than average league this year. There will be some 6a qualifiers in District 1 who would struggle to win two games in that league this year.

Gang, this is the weakest SOL I have ever seen going back to the old LBCL and Bux-Mont Leagues 40 years ago. Obviously the 3 top Ches-Mont teams are the class of D1. OK, there are a couple games left of intrigue.

Week 9:

(8-0) CB-West vs (7-1) Souderton
(7-1) Abington vs (5-3) Pennsbury

Week 10:

Abington vs CB-West
Pennsbury vs Neshaminy

relayer, 40 years ago the Bux-mont put out a number of DI players including 5 future NFL players. Agree it is not that strong today.

I have not seen any SOL teams yet. I’ve seen multiple Catholic League, Inter Ac and Central League games. If any of the SOL teams still play physically at all they will beat the hell out of what we have in Delco this year.

The Central League is in shambles. Realistically there are 3 to 4 programs teetering on this being a criminal type situation with who they have to put out there. Almost to the point it’s time to call it a day before someone gets maimed. Harriton is playing a freshmen qb at times who is 5-5 about 125 lb freshmen. Kid has some ability. He should not be playing varsity football against Garnet Valley, Ridley and Haverford.

Penncrest last year playing freshmen OTs in shotgun. OHara on fourth center of year. Watched Ridley play a 165 lb DT last night. Been around HS football a long time. I’ve seen things this year that tell me clock ticking at this level. Hopefully an anomaly but I doubt it.

I have not seen any SOL teams yet. I’ve seen multiple Catholic League, Inter Ac and Central League games. If any of the SOL teams still play physically at all they will beat the hell out of what we have in Delco this year.

The Central League is in shambles. Realistically there are 3 to 4 programs teetering on this being a criminal type situation with who they have to put out there. Almost to the point it’s time to call it a day before someone gets maimed. Harriton is playing a freshmen qb at times who is 5-5 about 125 lb freshmen. Kid has some ability. He should not be playing varsity football against Garnet Valley, Ridley and Haverford.

Penncrest last year playing freshmen OTs in shotgun. OHara on fourth center of year. Watched Ridley play a 165 lb DT last night. Been around HS football a long time. I’ve seen things this year that tell me clock ticking at this level. Hopefully an anomaly but I doubt it.

Gang - If that’s the case in the Central I wonder if they’ll do something similar as what WC East and Henderson basically pulling out of the National division and just playing 1 or 2 6A teams and the rest against 5A league teams. I wouldn’t mind seeing the 6A teams from the Central and Chesmont playing more games.

GG - you can probably merge Harriton and LM into one team and they still may not win a game. I think those two teams , for safety reasons , are going to cause some kind of shake up in the Central League. LM has already refused to move up in the “big school” division where they should be based on enrollment. I remember back in the 90’s when Interboro refused to play Glen Mills due to safety reasons. I can certainly see Harriton or LM simply forfeiting games against GV or Haverford rather than risky injury.

Random opinion -
Carrol with their QB probably beats Bonner, but hats off to Bonner for their success this year.

Mcdevitt is beyond inconsistent. No way they should lose to Lansdale Catholic, or should they? Lansdale has played well.

Roman Catholic pummeled Father Judge. Roman looks like they are getting things figured out. What’s going on at Judge?

Ryan has a ton of work to do.

Lasalle and SJP rematch will be a better contest. Still like SJP -18

Question - does northeast and the transfers present a bad matchup for Prep or is it business as usual? Side note, Is Gormley still the head coach at Northeast? (Rhetorical)

I really hope Roman and Judge do well. My major concern there is you know going in you can’t go anywhere in playoffs. Essentially you are signing up for shorter season given the Prep. These are very competitive teams in total landscape of high school football but that league is different animal. A good Judge, Roman and Ryan is good for Catholic League. One man’s opinion a lot of talent bleeds to AA, AAA, AAAA teams for chance at playoff glory.

Carroll and Bonner are limited offensively. However both teams are very physical. In today’s day you don’t see that. Bonner defensively is a handful physically. Up front they are good. Carroll when healthy have three LBs that can play as good as anyone.

Haverford essentially didn’t get out of huddle week 0 against Carroll. They had Ridley down 44-0 in third quarter without 2 of their 3 best skill guys. That Catholic Blue from what I have seen passes the eye test. A lot of solid teams that are coached.

The comments about teams becoming becoming much weaker because of injuries and having to play freshmen who are far from ready for varsity football make me interested in knowing how many schools have actual JV and freshman teams. As I remember, SJP had to cancel lots of their JV and freshman games last year because the opposing school didn't have a functioning JV or freshman team. Without them, a program is on very shaky ground.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that SJP used to dress about 60 players for varsity games. Now there are at least 20 fewer, which makes me wonder if they're also seeing a thinning of interest, Ten years ago or so there used to be quite a number of kids who played JV in sophomore and junior years and got into varsity games as seniors only when the outcome of the game was decided. One thing they did was help to connect the team with the rest of the student body.

The comments about teams becoming becoming much weaker because of injuries and having to play freshmen who are far from ready for varsity football make me interested in knowing how many schools have actual JV and freshman teams. As I remember, SJP had to cancel lots of their JV and freshman games last year because the opposing school didn't have a functioning JV or freshman team. Without them, a program is on very shaky ground.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that SJP used to dress about 60 players for varsity games. Now there are at least 20 fewer, which makes me wonder if they're also seeing a thinning of interest, Ten years ago or so there used to be quite a number of kids who played JV in sophomore and junior years and got into varsity games as seniors only when the outcome of the game was decided. One thing they did was help to connect the team with the rest of the student body.
Friend of mine was a Avon Grove football Mom and after all they pushing by coach Harry to get the program up to competitive levels they got freshman football back last year. This year she tells me they didn't have enough kids to field a freshman team. This school prolly graduates 450 or so kids. Mind boggling. Shanahan’s enrollment on the other hand keeps slightly dropping 250-275 a grade and they get a decent amount out for freshman football and went undefeated against the other Chesmont schools (keep in mind they also field freshman soccer and the program is pretty good)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT