ADVERTISEMENT

Can the PCL last?

South Ave Sam

Jan 21, 2010
The Philadelphia Archdiocese has closed a number of schools, announced the closings of schools and reversed decision due to (temporary) heartfelt fundraising. How much longer will the Catholic Schools last? Tuition has skyrocketed over the last decade, incomes have not. Philadelphia Public, Suburban Public and Charter schools are available without tuition. Tuition has become a major block for families decisions.

What could work to keep the schools operating?

Reactions: IAdelco
The Philadelphia Archdiocese has closed a number of schools, announced the closings of schools and reversed decision due to (temporary) heartfelt fundraising. How much longer will the Catholic Schools last? Tuition has skyrocketed over the last decade, incomes have not. Philadelphia Public, Suburban Public and Charter schools are available without tuition. Tuition has become a major block for families decisions.

What could work to keep the schools operating?
leave archdiocese privatize

Department of Education replacing the Title I program with a block grant to the states for private school vouchers.

Sam - Keep in mind the PCL is not just Philadelphia Archdiocesan schools as it includes St Joes Prep and LaSalle so it's a two part answer. Will archdiocesan schools survive. Yes. Will PCL survive. Yes. As far as Archdiocesan schools I believe we will see a few more close in the city and a few in burbs (Especially Delco). Some schools such as Carroll and Shanahan have a wealthy draw base to keep students coming and tuition paid. Others such as OHara, Ryan, Roman, etc have huge alumni bases which will fund the school like what happened at Bonner for years and years to come. I've been told if the worst happens that Shanahan has set itself up the go independent if need be. As far as the PCL I wouldn't be surprised to see Malvern Prep, Shanahan possibly Salesianum and Berks Catholic be part of league someday. These clowns Delco Times went a little too far pushing the koolaide to some of the under education in their county.

Sam - Keep in mind the PCL is not just Philadelphia Archdiocesan schools as it includes St Joes Prep and LaSalle so it's a two part answer. Will archdiocesan schools survive. Yes. Will PCL survive. Yes. As far as Archdiocesan schools I believe we will see a few more close in the city and a few in burbs (Especially Delco). Some schools such as Carroll and Shanahan have a wealthy draw base to keep students coming and tuition paid. Others such as OHara, Ryan, Roman, etc have huge alumni bases which will fund the school like what happened at Bonner for years and years to come. I've been told if the worst happens that Shanahan has set itself up the go independent if need be. As far as the PCL I wouldn't be surprised to see Malvern Prep, Shanahan possibly Salesianum and Berks Catholic be part of league someday. These clowns Delco Times went a little too far pushing the koolaide to some of the under education in their county.
The last PCL school to close was in what, 2010?
To add to your point about strong alumni based schools a lot of the PCL Red schools enrollment is actually up, not down.
Roman is about to break ground on a $25 Million expansion!

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/06/08/roman-catholic-high-school-expansion/

Reactions: lilromeo
Reactions: CYOBALL1
That's great stuff CYO. Congrats to Roman. My Grandfather attended Roman somewhere between 1914-18.
The PCL, no doubt in a somewhat different form but with the great majority of the schools in it now continuing to be in it, will be around for at least another 10 years. The big question all leagues will face is the future of football in the face of the mounting evidence about players (including those who don't play beyond high school) suffering serious permanent brain injuries. Just today I saw a report of another NFL player ( just a couple of years into his professional career) deciding to retire early in large part because of his concern about brain injury. I don't expect such concerns to have a huge immediate effect, but in a few years the pool of kids who want to play football and whose parents are willing to allow them to do so is probably going to be much shallower, especially in middle class communities.

Chesmont,
It will be a cold day in hell before Malvern Prep leaves the Inter AC for the Catholic league. The only fool to ever come up with that idea would be Aaron Brady and the door just recently hit him in the @ss!

Reactions: CYOBALL1

I could almost see Bishop Shanahan PCL-bound a la Lansdale Catholic leaving the PAC for the PCL. I can't see Berks Catholic. That's too much of a commute.

For Shanahan, that would be a horrible commute going to Wood, Egan, Judge or Ryan . If I was coaching there, the Ches-Mont looks just fine to me.

Can the PCL Last???? haha Its the best League in the state of PA.. Not going anywhere at all.

Yes - for any old heads out there, archbishop Kennedy in conshohocken was a serious powerhouse back in the day
They were a tough bunch ,not so much an established winner but when you play them you know you would be in a slugfeast.

The PCL, no doubt in a somewhat different form but with the great majority of the schools in it now continuing to be in it, will be around for at least another 10 years. The big question all leagues will face is the future of football in the face of the mounting evidence about players (including those who don't play beyond high school) suffering serious permanent brain injuries. Just today I saw a report of another NFL player ( just a couple of years into his professional career) deciding to retire early in large part because of his concern about brain injury. I don't expect such concerns to have a huge immediate effect, but in a few years the pool of kids who want to play football and whose parents are willing to allow them to do so is probably going to be much shallower, especially in middle class communities.

Agreed. But I think your ten year timeline will also be affected by the concussion conversation. La Salle, Prep, Roman and a few others should be the landng areas for the talented. But there are other schools in the PCL that will surely be hurt by the lack of bodies due to the concussion issue.

Agreed. But I think your ten year timeline will also be affected by the concussion conversation. La Salle, Prep, Roman and a few others should be the landng areas for the talented. But there are other schools in the PCL that will surely be hurt by the lack of bodies due to the concussion issue.
Paul, I think people are beginning to see the issue as more than a concussion issue, i.e. A player's brain can be seriously damaged over time without his ever having been diagnosed with a concussion. What may happen is that lots of the families that traditionally have sent their sons to the Prep and LaSalle will continue to send their sons there but they will discourage / not allow them to play football. I don't have a crystal ball and it's possible some combination of rule changes and better equipment will assuage people's concerns, but I think there's a good chance that the pool is going to continue to get shallower--at an increasingly rapid pace.

Reactions: yesman3
Paul, I think people are beginning to see the issue as more than a concussion issue, i.e. A player's brain can be seriously damaged over time without his ever having been diagnosed with a concussion. What may happen is that lots of the families that traditionally have sent their sons to the Prep and LaSalle will continue to send their sons there but they will discourage / not allow them to play football. I don't have a crystal ball and it's possible some combination of rule changes and better equipment will assuage people's concerns, but I think there's a good chance that the pool is going to continue to get shallower--at an increasingly rapid pace.

I fear our sport is in serious trouble. Not in 5 years, but not long after that. Esp at the prep school level.

Reactions: yesman3
PJP was the old Kennedy Kenrick right? Why aren't they in the PCL!?!

Combo of KK and Pius X of Pottstown...now based in more centrally located (for them) Limerick. Why would they, like Shanahan, go to PCL? Horrible commutes for them as well. PAC-Frontier Division is a good fit for PJP2...the smaller PAC schools. PAC is growing as well...after losing LC a couple years back has added Methacton and more recently Norristown & Upper Merion...up to 12 schools now. I wonder if the PAC will add any more schools?

I'd personally like to lobby for a merger of the Chesmont League (soon to be 13 schools) and PAC 12 (12 schools). I wouldn't mind seeing Coatesville playing Perk Valley and SpringFord along w DEast and DWest week in and out. Hope the football realignment happens

I'd personally like to lobby for a merger of the Chesmont League (soon to be 13 schools) and PAC 12 (12 schools). I wouldn't mind seeing Coatesville playing Perk Valley and SpringFord along w DEast and DWest week in and out. Hope the football realignment happens

Is that a legit rumor...a PAC-ChesMont merger?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT