ADVERTISEMENT

Butler Football: Building From Rock Bottom and Can They Ever Bounce Back?

bummer01

Mar 25, 2019
The Butler Golden Tornado football team has two WPIAL titles when they were awarded the title in 1950 and were co-champions with Penn Hills in 1977.

From 2000-2019 when the program left the WPIAL for District 10, the Golden Tornado held a 40-149 overall record and was 15-78 from 2009-2019. Their last two seasons in the WPIAL resulted in a 0-20 record, including 16 losses in the WPIAL.

Below are the results from 2018-19 (left) and 2019-20 (right) seasons:

@ North Hills - 42-7 Lvs. North Hills - 46-21 L
@ Baldwin - 58-13 Lvs. Baldwin - 42-21 L
vs. Mt. Lebanon - 44-21 L@ Mt. Lebanon - 63-7 L
@ Pine-Richland - 63-0 Lvs. Pine-Richland - 56-7 L
vs. Seneca Valley - 37-0 L@ Seneca Valley - 55-0 L
vs. Norwin - 42-0 L@ Norwin - 49-21 L
@ North Allegheny - 55-3 Lvs. North Allegheny - 49-14 L
vs. Central Catholic - 45-10 L@ Central Catholic - 55-6 L
@ Hempfield - 31-14 Lvs. Hempfield - 55-28 L
vs. Canon McMillan - 44-13 L@ Canon-McMillan - 35-7 L

In the 2019-20 season, Butler only dressed 39 players in Week 1 vs. North Hills. When they took the field at Canon-McMillan for their last game of the season, that number had dropped to 24. Here is where the Butler Golden Tornado football program hit rock bottom.

Going into the 2020-21 season and officially joining District 10 as an associate member for football only, the turnout numbers increased to 57 players. Butler would be running into a gauntlet of tough teams in their new district: Cathedral Prep, McDowell, and Erie. The season got off to a rough start at 0-4, but even though they got blown out by Cathedral Prep twice (Week 1 and 4) and McDowell (Week 2), they played competitively at Erie, leading 12-7 at the half before giving up 28 points in the second half, losing a heartbreaker of a game 35-25. Butler showed that they were competitive and wouldn't rollover. building off of this they crushed 4A Blackhawk 55-14 and 3A Slippery Rock 28-3 in back-to-back victories. After twenty-four straight losses to begin Eric Christy's tenure as Butler's Head Coach, he had finally tasted victory. Butler ended their season on a high note, finishing 2-4 in a COVID-shortened season.

So, that brings us to now. Butler Football is returning a few intriguing pieces for next season. One of which is Cooper Baxter (Sr.), a 6-foot-2, 200-pound QB/CB. Baxter returns having thrown for 379 yards on 40-78 passing (3 TD passes) and led the Golden Tornado with 475 rushing yards on 76 carries (7 rushing TD's). Defensively, Baxter was second for Butler in Tackles (31) and contributed one of their five interceptions as a team last season.

Another piece is Charlie Kreinbucher (Sr.), who stands out on the field at 6-foot-6, 220-pounds. The TE/DE is relatively new to football as this is will only be his third year of playing organized football. Kreinbucher had 14 receptions last season for 214 yards and 1 TD. However, due to his size and overall potential, he has received offers from Jacksonville State, Bucknell, Elon, Youngstown State, Lehigh, Robert Morris, and Akron. He also has interest from Pitt.

Another massive player for Butler is returning to the football field after a one-year hiatus. Senior Kaleb Proudfoot (T/DT) stands at 6-foot-9 and weighs 265 pounds. He's a star volleyball player for Butler's Boys Volleyball team as well.

In their second season away from being affiliated with the WPIAL, their schedule is as follows - Week 0: @ Kiski, Week 1: @ Erie, Week 2: vs. Meadville, Week 3: @ McDowell, Week 4: BYE, Week 5: vs. Harbor Creek, Week 6: @ Westinghouse, Week 7: @ Cathedral Prep, Week 8: vs. Franklin, and Week 9: vs. Slippery Rock. Can they get to .500 potentially?

Eric Christy, who is in his fourth season at the helm with a 2-24 record, seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on Butler's youth football programs, as they have been successful as of late. He knew that this program would require a total rebuild and he's not walking away from it soon. Being a 1999 graduate of Butler High School and being a former Quarterback for them in the late-90's, he has tremendous pride in coaching at his alma-mater and will do anything to give them a winner.

Now, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Butler's football program. Potentially you may have stories of when they were in their glory or even some inside sources on the day-to-day operations of the team. As a former attendee at one of their former 6A schools in the WPIAL, I have seen what Butler football has become. I think in a few years if they stick with the direction that they are on, playing as an independent for a little while, I truly believe that they will come back to the WPIAL as a team where their opponents won't look at them as an easy victory when they see them on their schedule. I saw what the Pine-Richland football thread is like and what their team is like and wondered if Butler could potentially do that as well. Feel free to discuss down below.

Reactions: Stalker
Butler (2-4) showed real improvement last year, tops in the Wpial PF-PA (+27!) and likely stats over prior year. C-Mac, Norwin as well looking at both offense AND defense improvement. No surrender after 0-4 start. Something changed radically at Butler last year!
Other egs....in the "West" Gov Mif, Hburg, Carlisle McD, York, Red Lion
"East" egs teams....Whitehall, ES-South, Pridge, Qtown. UpDub

Reactions: bummer01
Butler (2-4) showed real improvement last year, tops in the Wpial PF-PA (+27!) and likely stats over prior year. C-Mac, Norwin as well looking at both offense AND defense improvement. No surrender after 0-4 start. Something changed radically at Butler last year!
Other egs....in the "West" Gov Mif, Hburg, Carlisle McD, York, Red Lion
"East" egs teams....Whitehall, ES-South, Pridge, Qtown. UpDub
Good stuff- I like the new topic! Butler has some really tough, good players, but their teams seem to "peak" for some reason at grade 7 and 8. Not sure why, maybe the kids "disonnect" from football in high school? Is ninth grade a really tough transition in their school system? I am not sure on this- but maybe this is a program that "stopped the ninth grade team?" And, maybe that causes kids to quit the sport? Also, the "big enrollment" has made their competition really tough in the last 15-20 years- they have to play against schools like Central, Seneca and North Allegheny. So, I could imagine if there are ninth graders have to "play varsity" facing the likes of NA and Central, from 2000 to 2010- then continued to decrease? Also, the enrollment and tax base has continued to decline over the last 20 years- then you have other school "increasing" in tax base and enrolment over that span- including NA, PR, Seneca, and even Mars? It will be tough to make gains- I hope they do, but it will be tough.

I think its possible, but will be hard. Other boys sports at Butler are very good. Basketball, Baseball and Track. So its not the kids. We'll see if Christy has what it takes to turn it around. I don't recall that much from a couple years ago, but their schemes need to improve to compete in WPIAL 6A.

I think its possible, but will be hard. Other boys sports at Butler are very good. Basketball, Baseball and Track. So its not the kids. We'll see if Christy has what it takes to turn it around. I don't recall that much from a couple years ago, but their schemes need to improve to compete in WPIAL 6A.
Butler runs a Wing-T formation. However, they have a very small and inexperienced o-line mostly. This was the school that developed Jake Kradel at Pitt though. Perhaps if they find a guy like Tim Sasson things could change.

Reactions: new2pa
Good stuff- I like the new topic! Butler has some really tough, good players, but their teams seem to "peak" for some reason at grade 7 and 8. Not sure why, maybe the kids "disonnect" from football in high school? Is ninth grade a really tough transition in their school system? I am not sure on this- but maybe this is a program that "stopped the ninth grade team?" And, maybe that causes kids to quit the sport? Also, the "big enrollment" has made their competition really tough in the last 15-20 years- they have to play against schools like Central, Seneca and North Allegheny. So, I could imagine if there are ninth graders have to "play varsity" facing the likes of NA and Central, from 2000 to 2010- then continued to decrease? Also, the enrollment and tax base has continued to decline over the last 20 years- then you have other school "increasing" in tax base and enrolment over that span- including NA, PR, Seneca, and even Mars? It will be tough to make gains- I hope they do, but it will be tough.
I find it interesting that their players "peak" in grades 7-8. Eric Christy is putting more of an emphasis on the youth programs in Butler, but only time will tell if it works. In South Carolina where I'm from, there is a Varsity team, a JV team, and a B-team, which combines grades 7, 8, and ninth graders who don't play on JV. I haven't heard anything about if Butler is tough to transition into high school at, but it's amazing how a school which was third in enrollment in the WPIAL when they did re-alignment before last season. The problem was the carousel of coaches Butler had and not giving them any leash whatsoever.

I find it interesting that their players "peak" in grades 7-8. Eric Christy is putting more of an emphasis on the youth programs in Butler, but only time will tell if it works. In South Carolina where I'm from, there is a Varsity team, a JV team, and a B-team, which combines grades 7, 8, and ninth graders who don't play on JV. I haven't heard anything about if Butler is tough to transition into high school at, but it's amazing how a school which was third in enrollment in the WPIAL when they did re-alignment before last season. The problem was the carousel of coaches Butler had and not giving them any leash whatsoever.

Butler Schedule Read: real quick hits.

Getting to .500 might be a bummer with road trips at the three Erie schools and Westinghouse. But they should start with a convincing win at Kiski (2-4; 03 last winning season) and maybe Erie High (1-5) who had one winning season their four years playing ball, declining each year? Plus, they GRAD two good backs in JJ Woodward (588ry) and Steve Smith (All-D-10 trans from Mercyhurst), so maybe they catch em this year. Home opener is Meadville (5-2, 4A) at 43-31 last seven counting 2018’s 0-9 anomaly. Meadville will run you out the stadium given half the chance and return their three backs; Simmons, Glover, Buzzell, 1002, 774, 592ry. Look out! The run of quality programs continues with McDowell (7-1, 6A) away, Harbor Creek (7-1, 4A) home, Westinghouse (7-0, 2A) and Cathedral (7-3, 5A) away, finishing at home vs Franklin (1-8, 4A) and Slippery Rock (2-6, 3A).

McDowell: Grad Qb Chris Juchno from a senior laden team but it’s still McDowell who always field competitive teams vs an often diverse schedule.

Harbor Creek: Solid football program, 32-8 last 5, grad Qb Smith (1564, 67%) but return Rb Cam Williamson, a hard tackle at 5-9, 200, 962ry.

Westinghouse: Bad idea underestimating this Double-A with 3rd year coach Monte Robinson (05 grad) at helm following 8-4 initial, 7-0 last year. Didn’t participate in PIAA playoffs but won Pitt City for second straight. Wilkinsburg closed/merged (15-16 season) adding a few bodies but East End (Homewood, Larimer, etc) always had athletes. Junior Qb Keyshawn Morsillo returns, Rb Malik Harris and wide out and Jai’ron King back. Young team last year, bodies back.

Cathedral: Ramblers a given with five state titles (00, 12, 16, 17, 18) and numerous runner ups. Last year’s team advanced to the semi-final on the “strength’ of forfeit wins vs Valley West and Upper Dublin before getting crushed by Pine Richland 48-7 in the final. QB grad with Rb Michael Parks (945) back and much of the defense that allowed 22ppg.

Franklin and Slippery Rock: Both have fallen on hard times with Franklin’s last winning season in 2006 and SR going 26-36 the last six years with one winning season.

Look until you can get people to come out and attract quality coaches it will be tough

Butler has always been a puzzle. Their track team is always outstanding so you know they have athletes. I have seen them in person a couple of times in the past 5 years and my impression was that these kids just don't know how to play. Tackling was lackluster, players running around totally out of position, always a step behind. I always thought that coaching in youth football must be lacking. 6A needs better teams here in western PA so it would be great if they could get their program together.

Don't count on that win vs. Kiski in the opener. Kiski has 8 starters coming back on both sides of the ball and a few of them are high caliber. This will be a very tight game IMO.

Reactions: bummer01 and new2pa
Butler has always been a puzzle. Their track team is always outstanding so you know they have athletes. I have seen them in person a couple of times in the past 5 years and my impression was that these kids just don't know how to play. Tackling was lackluster, players running around totally out of position, always a step behind. I always thought that coaching in youth football must be lacking. 6A needs better teams here in western PA so it would be great if they could get their program together.

Don't count on that win vs. Kiski in the opener. Kiski has 8 starters coming back on both sides of the ball and a few of them are high caliber. This will be a very tight game IMO.
I think you're right aerogenes, that was too broad a statement on my behalf. Still foggy figuring out D3 and D1. Kiski was young ly and looks to score points this year. Defense....?....but the O should go with so many back. Too bad they're so run centric even last year with a hombre like Dilts. But, that may serve them well early, pounding it in home opener v Butler.
PS....you're right, they have some talent. Nice lineman; Moore!

Here is what you have to look at

1. How much does the Admin care about football. If it is important the admin will put $$$$ and backing into the program. Is the weight room up to date what about facilities, equipment uniforms

2. Who you hire as a head coach. If you hire your cousin or friend of a family member most times that leads to a disaster. Also is the head coach a true football coach? Does he go to clinics? Does he live and breath football. If you just hire a Social Studies teacher who played D3 ball who thinks he wants to be a coach but does not really know what that means you get less than a good product

3. Who is being hired as assistants? Can the Head coach get quality help? The Head coach is important but who the assistant coaches are just as important.

4. Does the community want to be good in football? Will parents local businesses Churches back the program? If they do now you have a chance to build something.

5. The Athletic Director, is he a fan of football or not. This can be a roadblock if you get some ex basketball or baseball coach who just does not understand what football can do for an athletic program.

As a head coach these are the questions I ask when applying for a job. So maybe Butler has one or several of these roadblocks that is preventing them from getting better

Butler did end up with a .500 record going 5-5 on the season. Also got a playoff game but with only three 6A teams in District 10 that wasn't exactly difficult. Here is how their season went:

Kiski (5A) L 21-7
Meadville (4A) W 27-13
McDowell (6A) L 38-21
General McLane (4A) W 40-20
Harbor Creek (4A) W 56-6
Westinghouse (2A) L 44-34
Cathedral Prep (5A) L 59-7
Franklin (4A) W 60-8
Erie (6A) W 27-23
McDowell (6A) L 40-21

Definitely some positives to take away from the season. Much more competitive. They had 77 players listed on their roster. A lot of significant contributions from underclassmen.

But clearly a long way from winning games in WPIAL 6A. If the community is happy with this schedule I don't see them coming back to the WPIAL for a long time.

I can EASILY see them beating Kiski and Westinghouse next year. Those two schools had their best teams in a long time this year.
7-3 would be something!

ADVERTISEMENT