ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon McIlwain transferring from South Carolina

The baseball team at PSU gave him the red carpet treatment up there. They were willing to work around football. He would have started day 1 while still battling for qb. Would be nice to see him still consider it.

2nd PA kid that didn't pan out at South Carolina in the past 4 years. First was David Williams from NC/WC/Imhotep. Best of luck to McIlwain wherever he lands. He is certainly a talent!

Reactions: lilromeo
2nd PA kid that didn't pan out at South Carolina in the past 4 years. First was David Williams from NC/WC/Imhotep. Best of luck to McIlwain wherever he lands. He is certainly a talent!

Brendan Nosovitch from Allentown Central Catholic too.

And if I were advising McIlwain, I'd have him enroll at a junior college like Chipola or Indian River in this spring and see if he can get a $1 million signing bonus as a first or second round pick in June by the MLB. He had those kind of scouting grades out of high school, and JC would make him immediately eligible.

And if I were advising McIlwain, I'd have him enroll at a junior college like Chipola or Indian River in this spring and see if he can get a $1 million signing bonus as a first or second round pick in June by the MLB. He had those kind of scouting grades out of high school, and JC would make him immediately eligible.

Nice to have that option.

Funny I said the same thing I think this move allows him to focus on professional baseball.

That is an interesting point Rover. The realist in me says his earning potential was at its greatest out of high school. It only gets more difficult. But if he enrolls at a high end juco he could certainly be looking at pro ball in two drafts.

...another Tri-state, Tanner McEvoy, QB/WR/S Bergen Catholic, finished solid/respectable college career at Wisconsin., currently WR Seattle Seahawks.

idk.. some real talented kids here that were all out of favor with the Gamecocks??
I suppose every circumstance is unique and different but is an odd trend, and we're not talking of a school who's 3 deep roster is all 4/5 star athletes (i.e. 'Bama)

Last edited:
A million dollars? Nooooooo.

Why is that out of the question? Baseball America is probably the best window into the industry in terms of amateur coverage, last year before he enrolled at South Carolina, they had McIlwain as the 16th best high school player in the draft. Not a perfect comparison, but the 16th high school player taken last June was Alex Kiriloff, who signed with the Twins for $2.8 million. Had McIlwain stayed in the draft last year, I think he definitely would have been in line to get that kind of money.

The first 60 picks in the draft are all slotted with a bonus of more than $1 million. Going to Junior College would make him immediately eligible, and if he goes out and shows the same plus-plus speed, huge arm strength, and power that he had in high school, I don't think there's much doubt a team would take a chance on him pretty early in the draft. You get stars out of athletes like McIlwain.

Rove I am with you on the baseball thoughts. I would love to see him go the baseball route. He is a special athlete who has baseball tools. He was a highly regarded player by the pro scouts who played very little high level summer ball, truly almost an impossible task unless you are just a stud athlete like him. Pro baseball is shark infested waters. He had his greatest leverage last year, and he lost it all. He is so highly regarded that he may be able to get an invite to cape cod this summer. If that happens and he goes juco in texas or cali or florida and then commits to a top D1 program, he can regain some leverage. I really hope he goes baseball...I would love to see that kid out there.

Reactions: lilromeo
I think part of the issue was that he rarely did more than pinch run for them last spring while training for football. At the same time he was preparing to start in the football spring game because their number 1 was hurt. He was doing all this down there while in a sense still being a high school senior. That's one heavy load to carry.

He's planning on playing summer baseball while weighing his options on a number of D1 schools interested in him playing both sports. I think his best option would be to play college baseball and fit in with the football program as an athlete not a QB. He's too talented not to be on the football field. Bottom line is that he is an incredible baseball talent too.

Speaking of Williams, I don't see him listed on SC's spring roster. Wasn't he going into his Redshirt Sr year?

Last edited:
Brandon had like a 3.8 grade point in honors and Advanced Placement classes while at Council Rock North and graduated early. So why in the world would he go to a Jr. College. The second Thing is he is from a pretty privilege back round where money is not a issue. I hope and wish Brandon the best of luck in any endeavor he persues but utmost I,hope he gets his degree.

Fan, the conversation turned to him playing baseball, and as a talent getting drafted. It's a complicated world. No one said he isn't a really smart kid. And no one said his degree wasn't important. And money has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact his father knows all this better than me. If he wants to play pro baseball, since he went to a D1 school he is now not eligible for the draft or to free agency until after his junior year. Unless he transfers to a juco, in which case he would be eligible after soph year.And if he has chosen baseball, his leverage will be increased if he does do a juco year. It happens all the time, and there is no implication of his academics saying this. Transferring to a D1 school means sitting out a year and then playing a year and then getting drafted. It all depends on what he wants to do. Considering baseball has jucos that are hyper competitive and MLB breeding grounds, sitting out a year seems a waste. And by the way, he can pursue all this, live out the pursuit of his dream, make it or not, and come home, and go to college and get a degree. Has been done over and over by some very very successful people.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
The reason he would go to junior college has nothing to do with academics. Going to a 2 year school makes him immediately draft eligible, whereas he'd have to sit out a year going to a 4 year school and he could not be drafted for 2 years. It's entirely a strategic play if his goal is to play professional baseball.

If he wants to play both and stay in college, or if football is the priority, then that's not the move. But he's already passed on a lot of money to go to South Carolina,

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT