ADVERTISEMENT

Bethlehem Catholic Routs Allentown Central Catholic

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Huge upset in D11 4A, as Becahi dominated ACC, 29-0, 15 days after losing to the Vikings in the regular season finale 24-14. ACC was 9-2, with their only losses to 6A finalist Nazareth and Parkland, and was ranked 6th in the state by both major polls. They were in the state final four last year and brought back a bevy of starters, including All State lineman Braheem Battles and receiver Jaleel Calhoun. I certainly was picking them to make a deep playoff run. They finish 9-3.

For Bethlehem Catholic, a huge statement win in head coach Tyler Ward’s first season. Ward, the former Lehigh safety and captain, moved from Georgia to take the job this off-season. He replaces utter chaos, which saw head coach Joe Henrich quit after three games last year. Sophomore quarterback Cayden Vassa, two weeks after throwing for 34 yards and three pick, threw for 159 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 90. The Hawks went 5-5 in the regular season, but have hit a two game winning streak at the best possible time. They’ll play Selinsgrove next week.

Reactions: bucksftball
Huge upset in D11 4A, as Becahi dominated ACC, 29-0, 15 days after losing to the Vikings in the regular season finale 24-14. ACC was 9-2, with their only losses to 6A finalist Nazareth and Parkland, and was ranked 6th in the state by both major polls. They were in the state final four last year and brought back a bevy of starters, including All State lineman Braheem Battles and receiver Jaleel Calhoun. I certainly was picking them to make a deep playoff run. They finish 9-3.

For Bethlehem Catholic, a huge statement win in head coach Tyler Ward’s first season. Ward, the former Lehigh safety and captain, moved from Georgia to take the job this off-season. He replaces utter chaos, which saw head coach Joe Henrich quit after three games last year. Sophomore quarterback Cayden Vassa, two weeks after throwing for 34 yards and three pick, threw for 159 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 90. The Hawks went 5-5 in the regular season, but have hit a two game winning streak at the best possible time. They’ll play Selinsgrove next week.
Very surprised at that score. I thought ACC would do some damage in 4A this year. Is the Parkland/Nazareth game at Parkland, or a neutral site?

Very surprised at that score. I thought ACC would do some damage in 4A this year. Is the Parkland/Nazareth game at Parkland, or a neutral site?
I thought ACC was the most likely state finalist from D11. Now it’s probably Northwestern Lehigh in 3A. I thought they were very clearly the 3rd best team in the area, and not that far behind the two 6A schools. But they laid an egg in a huge spot last night and their season is over.

Nazareth and Parkland will be at BASD. They made the move to neutral sites a couple years ago, which I hate. A good regular season should give you the advantage when everybody plays each other.

It’s the first time since 2004 (11-0 Easton vs 10-1 Liberty) that the two big school finalists have a combined 1 loss, and that loss is to the other opponent. I’ll have more preview stuff this week on that match up, but it’s the highest caliber big school final match up since the ‘14 Easton-Parkland overtime game.

That's disappointing when what you feel the better team, taking nothing from Beca, doesn't advance. I felt that way in 2021 when Gov Mifflin (10-1) who was storming people got upset by Exeter 31-28 in the D3 final with clearly, one of the best teams in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT