Here are the numbers:

Attendance figs:

1A 2,139
2A 2,416
3A 1,676
4A 3,769
5A 1,717
6A 4,012

The total is a bit higher than the last few years at Hershey.

We hear often that the non-boundary / private schools don't have community support and that the public schools do. The numbers suggest this may not be the case, at least in relation to people going to the games. I know few people from TEP go to games, but that number for 5A indicates there wasn't a big crowd from PR either. The same for the 3A game--NG doesn't bring many but not so many were on the other side. I'm sure the numbers for 4A and 6A were relatively high partly because McDevitt (a private school) and Harrisburg are relatively close, but it looked to me the numbers on the SJP side were pretty good--especially when you consider so many in their community had to drive all the way from the darkest corners of Jersey!

Here is 2021 championships at hershey (according to Mike white)

2563 for 1A
3174 at 2A
3405 for 3A
4306 for 4A
2679 for 5A
3965 for 6A

Here is 2021 championships at hershey (according to Mike white)

2563 for 1A
3174 at 2A
3405 for 3A
4306 for 4A
2679 for 5A
3965 for 6A
That's odd. Your figures from Mike White indicate higher attendance last year but the article I read by him yesterday indicates the opposite: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...le-vernon-quinton-martin/stories/202212110131

Here's the most relevant paragraph:

The six games were played Thursday through Saturday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg and total attendance was 15,729. That’s not a drastic increase, but consider this: The six games over three days drew 2,602 more fans than a year ago.

I guarantee you there were those in attendance from the immediate area with at least 15 schools from the Mid Penn Conf....that sent 3 to the finals.....that are within a 30-minute drive, more than just the SHHS, McD and Hbg crowd.
Some of those would have come to see other games as it is a hotbed.

It's only 2 hours from here (Ridley Park) on Interstate/turn pike roads with plenty of good hotels and restaurants once there.

From the looks of it on screen the place had a great hs atmosphere. Harrisburg I thought had the most fans all wknd. Couple that with a newly renovated field and the lights. I think CV did a great job hosting and I’ll definitely try to make it out next yr.

sorry folks but the setting is kinda dumb, could be made cooler if piaa made any effort, facilities for the players are better than hershey, amenities for fans, no better, maybe worse

Here are the numbers:

Attendance figs:

1A 2,139
2A 2,416
3A 1,676
4A 3,769
5A 1,717
6A 4,012

The total is a bit higher than the last few years at Hershey.

We hear often that the non-boundary / private schools don't have community support and that the public schools do. The numbers suggest this may not be the case, at least in relation to people going to the games. I know few people from TEP go to games, but that number for 5A indicates there wasn't a big crowd from PR either. The same for the 3A game--NG doesn't bring many but not so many were on the other side. I'm sure the numbers for 4A and 6A were relatively high partly because McDevitt (a private school) and Harrisburg are relatively close, but it looked to me the numbers on the SJP side were pretty good--especially when you consider so many in their community had to drive all the way from the darkest corners of Jersey!
tulla: Private schools tailgate in numbers. I've said this before. St Joes, Wood, Ohara to name a few.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT