ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on any Head Coach openings?

D11 jobs open so far
Whitehall - Matt Seneca resigned last week after a very short, but successful run for the Zephyrs. They went 0-10 in his first season, but they are coming off back to back 5A D11 championships and state playoff appearances. Program is in much better shape following Seneca’s run, but he is stepping away with extremely young kids, I believe one with some health issues. He did say he would like to get back into coaching when his infant daughter is older, so he’s not closing out eventually taking the Easton job.

Bethlehem Catholic - this program has secretly turned into a tire fire, with Kyle Haas quitting in the middle of his first season on the sidelines after jumping to Becahi from Northampton (he was previously the DC and interim head coach at Becahi during their run of four straight final fours in the mid 2010s). Chuck Sonon took over as interim, much like he did 20 years ago when Bob Stem was forced out. Sonon is a veteran, I think he coached against Chuck Bednarik in the old Big Four conference (he did legitimately coach against Andre Reed as Becahi’s coach in the late ‘70s). He’s not getting this job full time. Obviously it has the most potential of any job in the Valley (look at their wrestling/girls basketball/volleyball programs) but there is a ton to clean up.

William Allen - the carousel continues. Mel Thomas is a good man, but this job is really hard and has a shelf life. I’d love for somebody to come in here and win football games, but the last 20 years suggests otherwise.

Reactions: Bighead75
ABINGTON - Terence Tolbert has been hired as the new Abington HC. He was the OC at West Orange HS in Florida, and now appears to be back in the area, teaching at Cheltenham HS. Former Abington player and assistant coach. Abington has had some very talented teams in the recent past and in the re-aligned SOL National could really contribute to making this a great football conference again.

Reactions: solfootballfan
Whitehall hires Andy Marino as their next head coach. He was on Tony Triscisni’s staff at Whitehall right out of college before Trisciani moved on to Villanova. Marino then also went into college coaching, first at Delaware, then Weidner, Lehigh, and Harvard. Most recently, he rejoined Triscisni at Elon, where he was the offensive line coach.

This will be his first high school job. Obviously he knows football, and it seems to me like he’s bounced around and wants the stability you don’t get in being a college position coach. Clearly Trisciani made a recommendation at his old program. Will be interesting to see if he keeps Whitehall rolling. They tend to hit home runs on coaching hires.

Reactions: bucksftball
Looks like a great hire to me.
Me too. My dad immediately texted me with “ok Easton, your move.” Whitehall always seems to punch above their weight, and going back as far as I can remember they’ve had really good coaches.

Easton, Bethlehem Catholic, William Allen, and Saucon Valley all open up here.

Andy Marino - Neshaminy: Class of 2005. Of course, that saw him as a senior on the 13-2 2004 team that made it to Hershey where Langhorne was up-ended by PCC (Marino was an offensive lineman). He was also a permanent team captain that year along with Georg Coleman (Temple - PFN 1st Team All State RB).

Then besides Coleman, Kevin Kelly (Penn State) was also a PFN 1st Team All State player that year along with Tom McEowen who was 2nd team as a Junior (Penn State) while they actually had another 4 or 5 guys on the All State team including Marino who was Honorable Mention (he was also All-Golden Team in Bucks and 1st Team SOL).

As I recall he was very well liked. I have also heard nothing but good stuff about him from people who have known and/or followed him since his days as a Redskin.

Last edited:
WILLIAM TENNENT - Hires Colin Leach, most recently at Pennridge but previously a line coach and OC under Nase at Cheltenham. This HAS to be an upgrade.

Can’t imagine they seriously consider Burgy when they can have Butts, Sanderson, etc… on the same staff AND in the building.
I don't think Sanderson will ever coach at HH again. If Butts wanted the job why hasn't he gone after it earlier instead of them just promoting middle school coaches or bringing in people who are not qualified to be a high school HC?

I don't think Sanderson will ever coach at HH again. If Butts wanted the job why hasn't he gone after it earlier instead of them just promoting middle school coaches or bringing in people who are not qualified to be a high school HC?
Sanderson went after the job previously and didn’t get it. (All time bone-headed move). I’m pretty sure Butts would have been on his staff then, but they went with the middle school coach. If they don’t give it to Butts this time around with the staff that they can put together just from inside the school, including Sanderson, they should probably just fold the program.

Last edited:
Nase to Northeast is interesting. Wasn’t Gore at Northeast for a bit before becoming the HC at Cheltenham? Why did Nase get let go in the first place?

Wow. Why would they do that? He seems as qualified a HC as you can find in the area.

Not sure why, I would be just guessing. I did hear NE is going with Keita Crespina but not official.

I know it was an unceremonious exit. I’ve never read anything stating definitive wrongdoing on his part, though.

Reactions: Bighead75
Bethlehem Catholic hires Tyler Ward as it’s new head coach.

Ward was a captain at Lehigh in 2014 and an All Patriot League safety. He spent time on staff at Franklin and Marshall before returning to Lehigh as a defensive assistant. He left the Lehigh Valley to coach at Savannah Country Day in Georgia, and most recently was the offensive coordinator at Oak Mountain High School in Birmingham, Alabama.

Looks like Bethlehem Catholic is taking a big swing on a young guy with obvious Bethlehem ties. If he hits, they’ll be a player in 4A again.

Bethlehem Catholic hires Tyler Ward as it’s new head coach.

Ward was a captain at Lehigh in 2014 and an All Patriot League safety. He spent time on staff at Franklin and Marshall before returning to Lehigh as a defensive assistant. He left the Lehigh Valley to coach at Savannah Country Day in Georgia, and most recently was the offensive coordinator at Oak Mountain High School in Birmingham, Alabama.

Looks like Bethlehem Catholic is taking a big swing on a young guy with obvious Bethlehem ties. If he hits, they’ll be a player in 4A again.
Also interesting that the official announcement came from Frankie Trovato on the hiring committee. Trovato was the best receiver on the 2001 and 2002 Bethlehem Catholic teams (02 is the group that beat Parkland in the regular season and lost in the D11 final, and Parkland went on to win the whole thing). Trovato was an All Patriot League receiver at Lehigh and is now an attorney in the Valley. I knew he was involved in Becahi, but it looks like he’s the face of the alumni group trying to stabilize the program. Reaches out to a fellow Lehigh guy to do it.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Not sure why, I would be just guessing. I did hear NE is going with Keita Crespina but not official.
NE is a total mess, they pull their offer from Nase, went after Keita but, voted last night to go back Nase.

NE is a total mess, they pull their offer from Nase, went after Keita but, voted last night to go back Nase.
I agree NE is total mess. I heard the AD called Nase offered him job, then they had to pull it, for some reason. Keita put his name in and that started the nonsense of on again off again. Seems pretty strange even for the Pub.

He will win the 6A PPL every year, but of course he will need to get through SJP after that. Easier said than done. I think they have a better shot with him than they have had lately. He’ll need to convince kids to attend NE over Imhotep, Roman, SJP, etc.

Reactions: lilromeo
It’s really I think, can he make NE a destination the way Imhotep is. I don’t think he’s going to beat Prep for kids, but can he get kids in the city who are going public to go to Northeast.

Reactions: lilromeo
On the surface Nase is not a good hire for northeast. Rumors that parents are unhappy with hire, kids are unhappy with hire. As a football coach, he will do a fine job schematically. As an organization, it’s a square peg round hole. If the buy in is there, he will do fine. Second place to Prep every year in 6A district 12 is the best anyone can ask for.

On the surface Nase is not a good hire for northeast. Rumors that parents are unhappy with hire, kids are unhappy with hire. As a football coach, he will do a fine job schematically. As an organization, it’s a square peg round hole. If the buy in is there, he will do fine. Second place to Prep every year in 6A district 12 is the best anyone can ask for.
I’m curious as to why? I knew Ryan way back when he was at Lafayette and thought highly of him. Is the organizational piece something that can’t be reconciled, or will just take a cycle.

Second place behind SJP is obviously a ceiling, but I guess my question is, based on size, can Northeast be the type of school that once in ten years can be the Mount Lebanon or Parkland that can jump up and beat them when it all syncs up.

I’m curious as to why? I knew Ryan way back when he was at Lafayette and thought highly of him. Is the organizational piece something that can’t be reconciled, or will just take a cycle.

Second place behind SJP is obviously a ceiling, but I guess my question is, based on size, can Northeast be the type of school that once in ten years can be the Mount Lebanon or Parkland that can jump up and beat them when it all syncs up.
He’s a good coach, not his fault. Yes I believe it will take a cycle. And yes, Northeast is a monster of a school and can be that team that sneaks one in every few years. I am a Harrisburg guy that moved in the Lehigh Valley then moved out to Philly, I been around along time, Philadelphia Is just a different dynamic where it is hard to be successful even if you do everything correctly.

Reactions: Aragorn
As expected Butts approval is on the agenda at Hatboro Horsham’s board meeting tomorrow night. Should be a solid staff with Sanderson and other guys in the building. (Sowers also?)

Bucks, remind me, who is Butts again?
Experienced coach, I believe his father was a long-time HH baseball coach. Served as the interim coach at HH maybe 10 years ago, was a member of Sanderson’s staff there. Heads up the HH phys Ed department. Has been on the CB West staff for the past three years. I believe he was also on the CB East staff at some point. Good hire with him and most of the staff in the building. They’ll be playing physical, wing-t football.

Reactions: HSFB99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT