ADVERTISEMENT

All State Football Selection Criteria

PCC2003

Nov 22, 2017
Someone asked me this week as the writers review ballots "what should Criteria be for All State. ?" Throwing it out to the group ( not in any order). Thoughts on:

1. Players individual performance and stats in their category.
2. Players impact on team's success. ( was it a winning team, did they make the playoffs, win district , win state ?)
3. Number of college offers
4. Players results from last year or potential for next year ( if player is an underclassmen)
5. Team history and and previous success

Someone asked me this week as the writers review ballots "what should Criteria be for All State. ?" Throwing it out to the group ( not in any order). Thoughts on:

1. Players individual performance and stats in their category.
2. Players impact on team's success. ( was it a winning team, did they make the playoffs, win district , win state ?)
3. Number of college offers
4. Players results from last year or potential for next year ( if player is an underclassmen)
5. Team history and and previous success

You can delete #3-5. Meaningless.

Thank you . Looks like you are right. Sad, but that's how it looks to play out.

I saw the ballots and it is heavily weighted towards kids that have offers, but their season doesn't match up to many that had better individual statistics and their teams performed better.

Further, the narrative for some players is grossly expanded over others. For example, many Qb's have their school and stats listed. Period. While others have a brief bio on their season with some favorable adjectives used to describe their play. Totally biased and slanted towards who the press wants to win these awards. Great loss of credibility and trust with media.

With the media out of control, often presenting one view alone, what would we ever expect from them in an area like this where you also need an unbiased view? Accordingly it makes every sense that individuals of this persuasion select the top HS players based on projections at the next level. These are separate issues.

Well stated, Stalker.

One other point, which bodes well for some in the state, these ballots are heavily weighted towards central then eastern pa schools. I thought the teams that have performed the best would have players considered that have also permformed the best. East , central or west shouldn't matter.

Publicity, A coach pushing a player. Writers can't see everyone and how can they compare. Some kids make AllState and are never heard from again and others you never heard of show up big at the next level.

Publicity, A coach pushing a player. Writers can't see everyone and how can they compare. Some kids make AllState and are never heard from again and others you never heard of show up big at the next level.
That was my point. Who cares what they do at the next level? They're
Well stated, Stalker.
Kind of like west coast college ball playing 2nd fiddle to other teams/players.

One other point, which bodes well for some in the state, these ballots are heavily weighted towards central then eastern pa schools. I thought the teams that have performed the best would have players considered that have also permformed the best. East , central or west shouldn't matter.

That was my point. Who cares what they do at the next level? They're
Guess I did that wrong PCC.
Trying to say it mimics west coast college ball where those teams and players (PAC, etc) get short changed.
Surprising (what you said) when you think about it with 2 great papers (Gazette, Trib) covering FB like I wish they'd cover/prioritize in the East. The Gettysburg Times covers HS FB better (pics, write-ups, scores across the state) than local Philly papers! No dis to O'Brien who gives it a go.

Last edited:
I think a few of the obvious kids made it and deservingly so. But when you see kids make it with ultra light numbers on 9-3 teams or even worse vs kids with big time numbers , some leading in the state and on state championship teams you gotta wonder. You won't see me call a single kid out but maxpreps will.

The 50 word narrative vs no narrative is the thing that gets me. One kid may be written up " has a nose for the ball, tough in big games, offer from this school and that school, or plays downhill ". Versus another kid brig considered. ....Name, school, height and weight. ". Certainly not balanced.

Selections are crazy and at times obviously a popularity contest. Ive watched a north penn offensive line go against 3 first team all defense selections a total of 5 games and i dont really remember those kids standing out. NP makes state semis last year, averages 35 points this year, 40 last year with a 4,000 yard passer yet not one o- line selection. Henley not a first teamer?Played qb, wr, db, lost out on wr totals by playing qb a plenty, what gives, idk. First team db last year. Not for nothing but a big shoutout to prep player #75. Great article, great kid giving of himself to serve. Excellent man! Go Army.

Reactions: lilromeo and MC1975
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT