ADVERTISEMENT

"All Star" 7 on 7 teams

delcofootball1

Jul 31, 2015
Is it me or are more and more of these "all star" teams/camps popping up everywhere? I definitely thought this a little before but most certainly know it now, these teams are designed to put cash in the pockets of adults feasting off of kids. It may not be a whole lot of cash but it is definitely something. I talk to quite a few college coaches and never has one of them said yea I saw them at this 7 on 7 tournament or I watched tape of them at this tournament. Yes, maybe the national ones are legit but there are some that charge a team 650 dollars. There are colleges that run these tournaments also and only charge 150 dollars or 250 dollars, but they are upfront saying it is a fundraiser for their football program or a recruiting tool. Unfortunately, it is a part of sports, but the empty promises of getting "looks," or "scholarships" or whatever are creating egos that are not very attractive to college coaches.

Is it me or are more and more of these "all star" teams/camps popping up everywhere? I definitely thought this a little before but most certainly know it now, these teams are designed to put cash in the pockets of adults feasting off of kids. It may not be a whole lot of cash but it is definitely something. I talk to quite a few college coaches and never has one of them said yea I saw them at this 7 on 7 tournament or I watched tape of them at this tournament. Yes, maybe the national ones are legit but there are some that charge a team 650 dollars. There are colleges that run these tournaments also and only charge 150 dollars or 250 dollars, but they are upfront saying it is a fundraiser for their football program or a recruiting tool. Unfortunately, it is a part of sports, but the empty promises of getting "looks," or "scholarships" or whatever are creating egos that are not very attractive to college coaches.
Do not underestimate the amount of money that is being made here! It's a significant amount of money. I would actually go as far as saying they are making more off these kids and families then they are making at their day job.

Not gonna argue the fact that this trend will put money in the pockets of people who manipulate people. And I agree, overemphasizing this stuff can be kind of an underwear olympics. And you can say it is all a bunch of BS. But a real part of me asks if you watched the playoffs these past years...did you not see what speed it takes to play at a high level? To me any opportunity to get a kid playing at a higher speed and seeing it is a good thing. When your little johnny can't get off the line vs his DB, or can't get separation....don't talk about how the other team recruits or your coach has a bad gameplan. I see it as opportunity to see speed early and often. Just my two cents...not saying it is worth all that money...or that you will be recruited. But I am saying it seems to me to be a good opportunity to not be shocked when playoff time comes.

Great article I know for a fact there is a team in delco doing that same nonsense to kids here. If you are a good enough player a college team will find you no matter what so if I could offer any advice to high school kids just listen to your head coach and your position coach they will lead you in the right direction and that does not cost you a penny

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT