ADVERTISEMENT

6A

I think this is an awesome move. They should also move any schools that are able to recruit players into 6a. Then the recruiting argument will die

Just curious, how would the recruiting argument die? You would still have public schools losing players to private schools.

Despite my screen name, I am not a PCL insider. Just a fan. I hear unsubstantiated rumors the PCL would leave the PIAA.Amongst you in the know...any truth to that? Is this the moment they pull from PIAA? I can see a few teams doing that...I cannot see where as a whole that would be the play. I think this change to 6 classes is huge. It is a game changes if you go a school at the lower end of quad A. Those schools immediately get tons of school spirit because they are always going to have a chance now to compete for a playoff spot. But I see impact to the rest of the PCL.....rest being everyone but Prep/Lasalle/Wood.

Rover has the potential split of District 12. Want to give credit where credit is due. My question is why would any PCL team leave?

District 12: Six Even Classes
6A: Northeast, Central, LaSalle, Olney Charter, Abraham Lincoln, Roman Catholic, George Washington, St. Joseph’s Prep, Father Judge, Kensington Multiplex, Thomas A. Edison

5A: Fels, Martin Luther King, Frankford, Bartram, Archbishop Ryan, Overbrook, Archbishop Wood, Simon Gratz

4A: Boy’s Latin, Cardinal O’Hara, Benjamin Franklin, Monsignor Bonner, Furness, Archbishop Carroll, Mastbaum Vo Tech

3A: West Philadelphia, Delaware Valley Charter, Imhotep Charter, Lansdale Catholic, School of the Future, Prep Charter, Dobbins Tech, Conwell-Egan, Roxborough, Neumann-Goretti

2A: Shoemaker Charter, Bishop McDevitt

A: West Catholic, KIPP DuBois, First Philadelphia Prep Charter

At 6A: Judge and Roman are not where they need to be at to compete with rest of current 4A, that would be the same case if their was not a split.

At 5A: Ryan still gets stuck with Wood, they are stuck with them currently.

At 4A: O'Hara, Bonner, Carroll get rid of Wood. This is truly a blessing for O'Hara and Bonner.

At 3A: Everyone is pissed...Imhotep enrollment probably going to be a stagnant number. No reason to go their except Football and Basketball.

At 2A: I'm not even sure who Shoemaker Charter is, so McDevitt has to be excited.

A: West Catholic can line up and run QB sneak.

If anything it gives the PCL a chance to showcase their "brand" at the majority of the new classifications.

Cheers,

Busch

Funny, outside of 6A and 5A, not sure anyone would accuse the 4a,3a, and 2a schools of recruiting...they have to recruit the typical kids who would go there I guess. Interesting to see in Imho plays up again. I guess WC plays up now also. Interesting to see if they do also.

This very well make a ton of schools out west start to combine

The one caveat to what I put up is there will be new enrollment numbers and schools electing to play up. I just cut and pasted the enrollment data from the PIAA and sorted, this won't be exact, but certainly is a template. A lot of the PPL schools currently play in classifications way above their enrollment, so they might move around.

Not sure who is going to be electing up, and it's probably way too early to tell. I know up our way, the early talk is Becahi and ACC will go 5A, but that's pure conjecture at this point.

A nightmare scenario for the rest of the state is if Imhotep moves up to 4A and not 5A and West Catholic goes to 3A:
6A - Contender every year SJ Prep or LaSalle
5A - Contender every year Wood
4A - Contender every year Imhotep
3A - Contender every year West Catholic
2A - With Gordon there I see McDevitt becoming a player on an annual basis.
A - We're Philly go big or go home.

Reactions: yesman3
Funny, outside of 6A and 5A, not sure anyone would accuse the 4a,3a, and 2a schools of recruiting...they have to recruit the typical kids who would go there I guess. Interesting to see in Imho plays up again. I guess WC plays up now also. Interesting to see if they do also.
IMO ,other than a few players from the 4 schools always mentioned this recruiting thing in the PCL is way over blown and exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness. If some people believe that saying to an eighth grader why not come to our school is recruiting and often just said by a player from that school then I think a lot of schools ,non private do the same . Several of my sons grade school teammates were asked why not go to CB West instead of Wood. That IS NOT recruiting IMO. Can we stop this stuff.

Reactions: yesman3
WPIAL
6A Pitt CC, Pine Richland, Penn Trafford, North Allegheny
5A Woodland Hills, Upper St. Clair, North Hills, Bethel Park
4A McKeesport, Gateway, West Allegheny, Franklin Regional
3A South Fayette, Thomas Jefferson, Central Valley
2A Aliquippa, Beaver Falls
1A Clairton, North Catholic

I like the set up

Last edited:
IMO ,other than a few players from the 4 schools always mentioned this recruiting thing in the PCL is way over blown and exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness. If some people believe that saying to an eighth grader why not come to our school is recruiting and often just said by a player from that school then I think a lot of schools ,non private do the same . Several of my sons grade school teammates were asked why not go to CB West instead of Wood. That IS NOT recruiting IMO. Can we stop this stuff.

The argument really needs to be open enrollment vs non open enrollment. I get the one school towns argument, but in reality kids are going to go where they are going to be presented with the best opportunities.

Reactions: lilromeo
WPIAL
6A Pitt CC, Pine Richland, Penn Trafford, North Allegheny
5A Woodland Hills, Upper St. Clair, North Hills, Bethel Park
4A McKeesport, Gateway, West Allegheny, Franklin Regional
3A South Fayette, Thomas Jefferson, Central Valley
2A Aliquippa, Beaver Falls
1A Clairton, North Catholic

I like the set up
WPIAL is loaded in every classification.

WPIAL is loaded in every classification.

Penn-Trafford will be 5A. That group will be loaded! Also, Woody has a ton of non-traditional students as well as a declining enrollment - not completely shocked to see them in 4A like McKeesport!

A kid going to a Prep/Catholic school as as an 9th grader is one thing. But when kids are actively talked to by these schools coaches when currently part of another HS program is ridiculous. This is where the PIAA needs to step in and put a stop to it.

romeo,
Generally agree....... with a caveat.

By definition, LaSalle must be the worst "recruiting" school in the state. Two(2) D1 players since they joined the PIAA, one a punter, the other a QB transfer from Ohio who's father was occupationally displaced. None on this year's roster as well.

At some point have to give some of these coaches props who take the motivated and dedicated kids available and develop them into strong teams year in/out without having the benefit and plethora of "D1" talent. There's quite a few public league coaches in this state I'd put in same category, and should be praised.
Is there a benefit being open boundary?.... no question, yes. We just chuckle when LS is referred to and clumped into the "recruiting" schools. I suppose I'll catch some bounce for Madden/Jones, really don't know their circumstances, regardless not ESPN 250 players. LS football/administrative history as recently chronicled hasn't been favorable to "active" targeted movement, just ask the McDevitt offensive coordinator!

Aside......I have been critical of Wood's "transfer" policy in the past/present, that's where the critics do have an argument and it's hard to dismiss Romeo. Will give them credit for developing these kids into strong college scholarship players. Imhotep, a non-PCL school, don't even know where to start with that regime!!

The argument and debate will never go away as long as such practices are permitted and condoned.

Reactions: lilromeo
Yesman, you said a mouth full. I remember when la Salle played NA for the State title, there was a youtube video of the NA coach calling out La Salle for being a hand picked "All-Star " team. I could get into a lot of the makeup of that team (legacies, parochial pipelines, etc.) but for the most part, they were hardworking kids who bought into the program. And were very well coached, as you pointed out. Open borders is a big advantage, no question, but when they lump La Salle in with Wood on the recruiting issue, that's a laugher. With this new arrangement of 6 divisions, the PCL just might take their ball and go home.

romeo,
Generally agree....... with a caveat.

By definition, LaSalle must be the worst "recruiting" school in the state. Two(2) D1 players since they joined the PIAA, one a punter, the other a QB transfer from Ohio who's father was occupationally displaced. None on this year's roster as well.

At some point have to give some of these coaches props who take the motivated and dedicated kids available and develop them into strong teams year in/out without having the benefit and plethora of "D1" talent. There's quite a few public league coaches in this state I'd put in same category, and should be praised.
Is there a benefit being open boundary?.... no question, yes. We just chuckle when LS is referred to and clumped into the "recruiting" schools. I suppose I'll catch some bounce for Madden/Jones, really don't know their circumstances, regardless not ESPN 250 players. LS football/administrative history as recently chronicled hasn't been favorable to "active" targeted movement, just ask the McDevitt offensive coordinator!

Aside......I have been critical of Wood's "transfer" policy in the past/present, that's where the critics do have an argument and it's hard to dismiss Romeo. Will give them credit for developing these kids into strong college scholarship players. Imhotep, a non-PCL school, don't even know where to start with that regime!!

The argument and debate will never go away as long as such practices are permitted and condoned.

Just a quick correction it's actually 3 players, you forgot Syracuse linebacker Zaire Franklin.

Yesman, you said a mouth full. I remember when la Salle played NA for the State title, there was a youtube video of the NA coach calling out La Salle for being a hand picked "All-Star " team. I could get into a lot of the makeup of that team (legacies, parochial pipelines, etc.) but for the most part, they were hardworking kids who bought into the program. And were very well coached, as you pointed out. Open borders is a big advantage, no question, but when they lump La Salle in with Wood on the recruiting issue, that's a laugher. With this new arrangement of 6 divisions, the PCL just might take their ball and go home.

Paul, I've heard similar rumblings about the PCL possibly not wanting be involved with this new setup.

I remember when la Salle played NA for the State title, there was a youtube video of the NA coach calling out La Salle for being a hand picked "All-Star " team.

NA's coach forgot to mention the only reason he won 3 WPIAL titles and 2 state championships is because he had 3 Division 1 players move into the district. Steeler and Pitt coaches kids. Both Kuglers started on the first state championship team, and Kugler and Leftwich started on the 2nd. Lefwich ended up living with someone when his parents moved after his Junior year.

No love lost in this part of the state for Coach Walker...

Comon Paul and Yes man, really - Explain to me the difference in allowing 2-3 upperclassman to join your team (Wood) and LaSalle skipping around town to every CYO game and dangling $7,000.00 - $10,000.00 coupons in front of parents with above average athletic sons to lower the price of LaSalle's overpriced education? So you recruit 15-18 or so incoming freshman every year as 8th graders (balance is Legacy) and Wood having 2-3 upperclassman join the team thru what they hear from their friends who are already on the team and who they play with in their 7 on 7 leagues and Wood is bringing down the world of HS football with recruiting? SMH! Just keep on telling yourself what you want to hear, b/c you're extremely misguided! I think it just shows 2 things #1 LaSalle is really bad at projecting 8th graders as D1 talent or the coach is lazy and doesn't lift a finger regarding getting his kids into college? which is it? It has to be one of them! Let me know your thoughts!

Comon Paul and Yes man, really - Explain to me the difference in allowing 2-3 upperclassman to join your team (Wood) and LaSalle skipping around town to every CYO game and dangling $7,000.00 - $10,000.00 coupons in front of parents with above average athletic sons to lower the price of LaSalle's overpriced education? So you recruit 15-18 or so incoming freshman every year as 8th graders (balance is Legacy) and Wood having 2-3 upperclassman join the team thru what they hear from their friends who are already on the team and who they play with in their 7 on 7 leagues and Wood is bringing down the world of HS football with recruiting? SMH! Just keep on telling yourself what you want to hear, b/c you're extremely misguided! I think it just shows 2 things #1 LaSalle is really bad at projecting 8th graders as D1 talent or the coach is lazy and doesn't lift a finger regarding getting his kids into college? which is it? It has to be one of them! Let me know your thoughts!

That was one of the criticisms of Gordon. He really didn't engage with colleges. The coordinators usually helped the kids put their reels together and helped them with communicating with colleges. And I really don't think you go out to CYO games looking for D1 prospects and if you are, you're wasting your time. The only one I ever saw who looked in 8th grade that he could play for colleges was that kid Ralphie who played for NP. Those 7,000-10,000 dollar coupons? How many do you think they hand out? Not many, and even with that, that means those parents are still paying 10,000. As you said, just keep telling yourself what you want to hear.

Reactions: exr001
As if LaSalle didn't just take in two transfers this year?

I guess the parents had no part of the decision making?? It was just La Salle kidnapping the kids. For one thing, it's a price reduction coming from the interac. Next, is better exposure to colleges. And the education is right up there with the interac. And finally, that's 2 in how many years?? Since forever!

FBU,
I'll try..

How about Door #3:
LS is really good at attracting intelligent, motivated and dedicated solid football players, just not blessed with those who have D1 level talent.

How much "pushing" can a high school coach do to get a non-D1 level athlete a D1 scholarship?
Bribery?.....Kidnap a college coach family member??

Ask Drew Gordon how all the pushing and finger lifting worked out for Drew Loughery at Villanova (DG/BG alma mater)?

As for "value" of a LS education........ Name one other school in the commonwealth with more National Merit qualifiers, Sieman's Presidential merit scholars and Microsoft IT certified scholars?

Last edited:
Ewwwww. Better exposure to colleges? That is some serious uninformed big school bs bias coming out. I would say transfers happen. Is there a pattern is the question. Don't see one at LS. If two come in next year....then I would say all bets are off.
And you can't get mad about a coach with open enrollment attending a CYO game filled with kids with a history of attending open enrollment schools. Just like you can't get mad at the local high school having their booster club sell items and having banners at the local weight ball organization. Advertising football camp for the local 6-7-8 graders at the high school at the local pound game is same as a coach attending a CYO game. Open enrollment schools have to advertise. I can't speak to vouchers though. Wouldn't try.

My son was a starter on those 2009 and 2010 LaSalle football teams and played other sports too making All American. Went on to play in college. Could someone direct me to those coupons? I missed them all 4 years.

FBU,
I'll try..

How about Door #3:
LS is really good at attracting intelligent, motivated and dedicated solid football players, just not blessed with those who have D1 level talent.

How much "pushing" can a high school coach do to get a non-D1 level athlete a D1 scholarship?
Bribery?.....Kidnap a college coach family member??

Ask Drew Gordon how all the pushing and finger lifting worked out for Drew Loughery at Villanova (DG/BG alma mater)?

As for "value" of a LS education........ Name one other school in the commonwealth with more National Merit qualifiers, Sieman's Presidential merit scholars and Microsoft IT certified scholars?
Open up your world YES man - You've been drinking the LaSalle Cool-Aide, Just b/c they charge it, doesn't mean it's worth it! NEWS FLASH most kids do extremely well in HS and go unto prestigious private colleges, stop trying to justify overpaying for a slightly better education than most Catholic HS in our area! Next you'll play the "Our students do more homework than your students and are better prepared" CARD! If overpaying for HS makes you feel less insecure, THEN it does serve a purpose! but let's talk "for reals" You just feel silly or possibly scammed b/c you bought into what they were saying and thought paying more would get you more and it didn't and now you just feel down right silly! On the upside, you just have to add $50.00 a month to your education payment now that Billy is at the State University!

Open up your world YES man - You've been drinking the LaSalle Cool-Aide, Just b/c they charge it, doesn't mean it's worth it! NEWS FLASH most kids do extremely well in HS and go unto prestigious private colleges, stop trying to justify overpaying for a slightly better education than most Catholic HS in our area! Next you'll play the "Our students do more homework than your students and are better prepared" CARD! If overpaying for HS makes you feel less insecure, THEN it does serve a purpose! but let's talk "for reals" You just feel silly or possibly scammed b/c you bought into what they were saying and thought paying more would get you more and it didn't and now you just feel down right silly! On the upside, you just have to add $50.00 a month to your education payment now that Billy is at the State University!

Now we're talking about education?? FBU82, let a parent send their kid to the school of their choice. If that's the way you think of a La Salle, Prep or Interac education, that's fine. Sending the kid to one of those schools is no skin off your nose, is it?? I thought we were talking football and the recruiting issue??

FBU,
My friend, not insecure at all, that relative to my level of education and tax bracket. ;)
Just a proud alum and parent, no Kool-Aid ingested or apologies necessary....

btw... let me know when you answer that "commonwealth" question. Some folks can speak intelligently using facts, the private-Cath./Pub class warfare is really stale and beaten. So tiring..

IMHO......Education of our children is less about "what you overpaid for" and more of did the education that you provided your children meet the satisfaction of both involved? If you and I can say yes to that question, then we both, while perhaps in different financial circumstances, feel satisfied with whatever financial responsibility was presented. Wish you well...

Last edited:
FBU,
My friend, not insecure at all, that relative to my level of education or tax bracket. ;)
Just a proud alum and parent, no Cool-Aide ingested or apologies necessary....

btw... let me know when you answer that "commonwealth" question. Some folks can speak intelligently using facts, the private-Cath./Pub class warfare is really stale and beaten. So tiring..

IMHO......Education of our children is less about "what you overpaid for" and more of did the education that you provided your children meet the satisfaction of both involved? If you and I can say yes to that question, then we both, while perhaps in different financial circumstances, feel satisfied with whatever financial responsibility was presented. Wish you well...
When it comes right down to it, I order a pepperoni pizza and pay about $18.00, you're happy paying $54.00 and talk loud at a party about how much you paid for the pizza and that it is the best pizza in the world.....but it's just dough, cheese and sauce, no matter how you argue the point, it's just dough, cheese and sauce! Quick, I heard it's Whopper Friday at Burger King...They're only charging $22.59 per burger! I bet they taste better than any burger in the area! and will def. make you kid better prepared for heading out in this ever changing world - Buyers Remorse! Too Funny! SMH!

When it comes right down to it, I order a pepperoni pizza and pay about $18.00, you're happy paying $54.00 and talk loud at a party about how much you paid for the pizza and that it is the best pizza in the world.....but it's just dough, cheese and sauce, no matter how you argue the point, it's just dough, cheese and sauce! Quick, I heard it's Whopper Friday at Burger King...They're only charging $22.59 per burger! I bet they taste better than any burger in the area! and will def. make you kid better prepared for heading out in this ever changing world - Buyers Remorse! Too Funny! SMH!

Do you really pay $18.00 for a pepperoni pizza? My friend, that's a bit pricey even in my neighborhood!! :eek:

Seriously, let's end this class warfare and get back talking about the game we all enjoy. Didn't mean to widen an open wound that obviously has you unsettled. Enjoy your family and weekend...

Despite my screen name, I am not a PCL insider. Just a fan. I hear unsubstantiated rumors the PCL would leave the PIAA.Amongst you in the know...any truth to that? Is this the moment they pull from PIAA? I can see a few teams doing that...I cannot see where as a whole that would be the play. I think this change to 6 classes is huge. It is a game changes if you go a school at the lower end of quad A. Those schools immediately get tons of school spirit because they are always going to have a chance now to compete for a playoff spot. But I see impact to the rest of the PCL.....rest being everyone but Prep/Lasalle/Wood.

See ya!

FBU

Thank you for your wonderfully insightful analysis of LaSalle's financial aid policies. You finally figured it out - the Christian Brothers have endlessly deep pockets and just wave their magic money wand at every athlete while the non-athletes are all suckers who subsidize the athletes. All successful programs like LaSalle have to be cheaters, right? It's not possible that they've had great coaches who can motivate the players and extract every ounce of talent from them, is it?

Bravo! This is top level conspiracy theory! I shudder to think what else you believe is true. You must be a 9/11 truther also, right? The moon landing was a hoax. Elvis and Jim Morrison are alive and well. Please share some of your best theories - we could all use some more laughs.

I guess we all know what FBU stands for now: Foolish Bitter & Utterly clueless

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT