ADVERTISEMENT

6A is down this year

Hausmann1978

May 5, 2021
It seems to me that 6A is down this year across the state. The wpial doesn't have a team that sticks out. Pcc might be the best of the bunch. They are young and got blown out in week 0 by St eds. I think when pcc plays NA that'll decide the best of the wpial. District 1 has been down for some time now. I thought north Penn had a chance this year but they lost their opener to la salle. Speaking of La salle they just got whooped by mcdevitt so I thought Harrisburg would be the team to beat but they lost last week to Manheim. IMO other then St Joe's prep here's the best teams in the state: Erie prep, aliquippa, McKeesport, Imhotep, gateway, central valley, and bishop mcdevitt. All of which aren't 6A schools. Is their a team in pa that can complete with sjp because it's not looking like it thus far.

Reactions: new2pa
District One is a really bad football district, and has been such for about the last ten years. Right now I would rank them slightly above the Pocono Mountain area teams in District 11, but well below the Lehigh Valley teams in District 11, as well as below District 7 and 3, and of course the Philly area private schools.

District One is a really bad football district, and has been such for about the last ten years. Right now I would rank them slightly above the Pocono Mountain area teams in District 11, but well below the Lehigh Valley teams in District 11, as well as below District 7 and 3, and of course the Philly area private schools.
The only great district one team I can think
of in the past decade is the 2016 North Penn team. It's sad to see the state of district 1 knowing what it use to be in the 90's This year it isn't only district 1 it seems like 6A is down state wide other then SJP which they have advantages that other schools don't. I don't see another Mt Lebo or Pine Richland this season.

I was at the Gateway/North Hills game this week. Also saw North Hills play Bethel Park and Upper St. Clair. Best of the 3 by far IMO is Upper St. Clair. Not even close. Bethel Park second.

At RB Upper St. Clair's Jamaal Brown is a much better back than Gateway's Jaquon Reynolds, again not close. Also, Gateway's Brad Birch has to be the most overrated QB in the WPIAL. He is not an elite high school QB. He was awful, 13-27 61yds, no TD's and 1 Int. Had difficulty making even simple throws. Small. I can't imagine a D1 coach having any interest in this guy. I question D2. And he was playing against a very young and green defense starting 1 freshman and 4 sophomores.

Gateway's offense was just a mess. Defense is much better, great ballhawk in Dallas Harper. But still put them 3rd behind USC and BP.

I was at the Gateway/North Hills game this week. Also saw North Hills play Bethel Park and Upper St. Clair. Best of the 3 by far IMO is Upper St. Clair. Not even close. Bethel Park second.

At RB Upper St. Clair's Jamaal Brown is a much better back than Gateway's Jaquon Reynolds, again not close. Also, Gateway's Brad Birch has to be the most overrated QB in the WPIAL. He is not an elite high school QB. He was awful, 13-27 61yds, no TD's and 1 Int. Had difficulty making even simple throws. Small. I can't imagine a D1 coach having any interest in this guy. I question D2. And he was playing against a very young and green defense starting 1 freshman and 4 sophomores.

Gateway's offense was just a mess. Defense is much better, great ballhawk in Dallas Harper. But still put them 3rd behind USC and BP.
I was with you up until you said brad birch is overrated. The kids a sophomore and a stud. I believe he already has an offer to Oregon and many other D1 schools. You don't receive those unless you're an elite has school QB.

He's a junior. He had an offer from Oregon as a freshman. He got a second offer from Akron as a sophomore. Nothing since. I've seen a lot of elite high school QB's in my day, this guy did not look one to me.

Aerogenes: I think I am with you. AFAIK, Birch has offers from exactly one coach - Joe Moorhead. Not sure why. Maybe he sees something. Gateway's problem perenially seems to be what you describe - offense is modern, but a mess. Almost too complicated. Defense is generally ok, but they need athletes to make it work.

Can't wait to see them and Penn Hills play.

Aerogenes: I think I am with you. AFAIK, Birch has offers from exactly one coach - Joe Moorhead. Not sure why. Maybe he sees something. Gateway's problem perenially seems to be what you describe - offense is modern, but a mess. Almost too complicated. Defense is generally ok, but they need athletes to make it work.

Can't wait to see them and Penn Hills play.
Third vote, agreed, Birch unlikely to actually "sign a big-time" offer. Lots of offers are posted, then fall thru- very likely that happens with the Oregon offer. PR played him twice in the last two years- Dugger from PH was better.

Regarding 6A- yes, the debate will be "resolved" in like 10 days, as soon as PCC plays NA, for WPIAL "best of 5"

State-wide, maybe the schools are just too big and too many sports, to focus enough on football to compete with SJP- but maybe just this year- another Lebo could happen, somewhere... maybe!!

I disagree with all of you. I've watch him play a few times and Birch looks like the real deal. He threw for 2630 yards and 32 TDs last year as a sophomore! Anyone on here want to take that bet that he doesn't play D1. I'll take that bet all day.

Right now, his absolute max is G5. I would more likely project high FCS. He has improved a lot in his last year, but high major QBs tend to commit early. He needs a great camp season and commit early next year IMO.

Oregon is a top 10 program. Akron is the worst MAC program. No one else has offered at either level I think.

Oregon is a top 10 program. Akron is the worst MAC program. No one else has offered at either level I think.
He's a junior, he'll go D1 and have more offers new. He also could finish top 5 in wpial which is impressive being the great QBs that came through the wpial and the level of competition he's playing. It's crazy guys are saying he's overrated!!

I only know what I saw. He threw for 61 yards and sub 50% completion against North Hills. Looked confused and was missing a lot of throws. Connected on only short passes- average less than 5yds per completion. Maybe it was just a bad game for him but he did not look elite.

Back to the 'Down' question!
Knowing how teams mature/develop, I think it's WAY too early to make a call on Harrisburg or any other team barring things you might know about dissension, injuries, etc.
Harrisburg 1-1 lost to a good football team and has a schedule fraught with land mines including Cumberland Valley, Carlisle, CD East, State College, etc.
Cumberland Valley 3-0 already beat Manheim Township, Central York and Spring Ford with CD East, Harrisburg, Carlisle, State College and CD to go.
Carlisle 2-1 lost to York 54-47 but still has Harrisburg, CV, SC, CD East, etc, etc of the Mid Penn-Commonwealth.
Manheim Township 2-1 has the Hburg win and CV loss with Spring Ford this week, then Hempfield and Wilson.
Hempfield 2-1 beat York then lost to Central York with Township, Wilson and Exeter to go.
York 1-2 (!)
has the most explosive offense in the district with Qb Sam Stoner (53/76-10/2) and West Va recruit Jaheim Williams.
Central York 2-1 beat CD and Hempfield with only York High remaining. Before last week's stats Nasir Stills was at 67% (35/53) replacing Pribula (PSU) effectively.

Not even getting to....CD East, Wilson, CD who gave Coatesville fits to make the point there is a lot of good, maybe not great, football in District-3. Few were "shocked" Harrisburg lost or that Carlisle might beat them Friday! Many of these games are toss ups. Harrisburg (and McDevitt) have the most talent, but who knows if it develops into the best team. McDevitt's QB is so good that has probably already occurred.
Another point is there are a ton of good quarterbacks in the district especially at Man Twp in Hayden Johnson, CV in Isaac Sines, York in Sam Stoner, and Harrisburg's Shawn Lee, even Terrence Jackson-Copney still fighting off sophomore Demaj Jalloh.
* Junior Hayden Johnson of Township is probably the best kept secret at 68/93-73% 7/3.
And when these quarterbacks get hot, it's something like a 50-50 ball where the outcome can be in doubt.

I only know what I saw. He threw for 61 yards and sub 50% completion against North Hills. Looked confused and was missing a lot of throws. Connected on only short passes- average less than 5yds per completion. Maybe it was just a bad game for him but he did not look elite.
I'm sure he had a bad game which everyone has but go back and watch his previous games. No way he's overrated.

Yes.. back on topic folks! 6A down- I can speak of WPIAL- just really bizarre- only 5 teams- so they will have a "championship" among 5 teams? Weird, IMO. Also, there is no choice, but for WPIAL to "play down" meaning playing against smaller schools. just not enough big schools "nearby" in WPIAL, with 6 Levels- very few at 6A, within like a 50 mile radius, even into nearby PIAA districts! Agree w another previous message, still too early to gauge- "that why they play the game!"

Reactions: Stalker
Yes.. back on topic folks! 6A down- I can speak of WPIAL- just really bizarre- only 5 teams- so they will have a "championship" among 5 teams? Weird, IMO. Also, there is no choice, but for WPIAL to "play down" meaning playing against smaller schools. just not enough big schools "nearby" in WPIAL, with 6 Levels- very few at 6A, within like a 50 mile radius, even into nearby PIAA districts! Agree w another previous message, still too early to gauge- "that why they play the game!"
6A and 5A need to merge in D7 to 'rediscover' the old Wpial. This isn't rocket science. Maybe an appeal to the PIAA.

Last edited:
6A and 5A need to merge in D7 to 'rediscover' the old Wpial. This isn't rocket science. Maybe an appeal to the PIAA.
I've been saying that for awhile stalk. I think not just the wpial but the Piaa would of been better off going to 5 classifications than 6.

Good views reminding 6A in D7 has to play down. It doesn't hurt them point wise since there are so few of them (6A) and they're all in the same situation. It is ashamed tho the PIAA went with 6 classifications to make this problem, if it's perceived as a problem. Maybe it's not.
I feel (unless I'm off base here) as long as those in control think everyone needs a trophy, can't ever come in 2nd place and heaven help us........definitely never lose, we'll have absurd decisions (path of less resistance thinking) that created 6 classes.

Reactions: lilromeo
Good views reminding 6A in D7 has to play down. It doesn't hurt them point wise since there are so few of them (6A) and they're all in the same situation. It is ashamed tho the PIAA went with 6 classifications to make this problem, if it's perceived as a problem. Maybe it's not.
I feel (unless I'm off base here) as long as those in control think everyone needs a trophy, can't ever come in 2nd place and heaven help us........definitely never lose, we'll have absurd decisions (path of less resistance thinking) that created 6 classes.
I like that they added more classifications but just think 6 was to many. When there was 4 classifications you saw the giant 4A schools always beating up on the smaller ones. I thought 5 classifications would have been much better.

He's a junior, he'll go D1 and have more offers new. He also could finish top 5 in wpial which is impressive being the great QBs that came through the wpial and the level of competition he's playing. It's crazy guys are saying he's overrated!!
Oregon pulled their offer

he's a good high school QB nothing special and he isn't big

he will probably end up at a place like Duquesne who had better quarterbacks like Brett Brumbaugh who never played, Dillon Buechel, and your guy Joe Mischler

Here is Birch's stat line from Gateway's upset loss tonight to Franklin Regional:
8-22 71yds 1 TD 3 Int
This guy stinks. Not an elite QB.

Last edited:
Here is Birch's stat line from Gateway's upset loss tonight to Franklin Regional:
8-22 71yds 0 TD 3 Int
This guy stinks. Not an elite QB.
he has regressed the older and more experienced he has become

won't even have an IUP offer if this continues

It's funny people on here trashing kids. Aerogenes where can I look up your football career? Throw your highlight tape up here.
Just getting to this Haus but damned well put. Anyone trashing kids!?; well....I won't say it.

Kudos to Birch for a great game. He was actually better last week too so maybe turning things around. But surely no one is arguing his stat line through the first 4 games was elite?

59-108 54.6% 527yds 4TD 7Int

WPIAL 6A teams are 6-7 vs. WPIAL 5A teams so far this season. Might as well just combine 6A/5A in the WPIAL.

There is a difference between being a "kid hater" and being realistic. My comments about how far Birch will go, is largely b/c of how competitive college FB is now. Yes, he is good, but just how far he will go is the question. With Covid eligibility and the transfer portal, it is rough. Especially for QB, lots of college programs are less frequently "offering" kids straight out of HS, esp P5 schools. That kind of kid has to truly rare, almost perfect, I'm not sure he is that.

There is a difference between being a "kid hater" and being realistic. My comments about how far Birch will go, is largely b/c of how competitive college FB is now. Yes, he is good, but just how far he will go is the question. With Covid eligibility and the transfer portal, it is rough. Especially for QB, lots of college programs are less frequently "offering" kids straight out of HS, esp P5 schools. That kind of kid has to truly rare, almost perfect, I'm not sure he is that.
Good point 2020. I mean....it's HS FB. Much as I try to put out good reliable information on D3, it's just HS FB and we shouldn't get too roughed up about it. Now, Arkansas and Bama; different matter. Go Hogs!

And more importantly, AF beat Navy. Hell from Above, Semper Supra and all that good stuff.

I wasn't referring to everyone just a select few on her that said he "sucks"

I disagree with all of you. I've watch him play a few times and Birch looks like the real deal. He threw for 2630 yards and 32 TDs last year as a sophomore! Anyone on here want to take that bet that he doesn't play D1. I'll take that bet all day.
Here we are after the early and regular signing periods are over. Birch has not signed with a D1 program. Or even a D2 program. Any predictions on where he will play in college, if at all?

ironically i just heard info on him- he has mental problems, also uses drugs, wish him well, but doubt pitt will work out

Oregon offer to nothing.
that is the craziest thing i have ever heard of in recruiting

big time offer as a freshman in high school, to none as a senior

he must have lied about his height or something, and then schools saw him and said no way

he must have lied about his height or something, and then schools saw him and said no way
stuff like that happens all the time

Kids an idiot, he was on the news a couple years ago for leading the police on a high speed chase. I’d imagine that has something to do with it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT