ADVERTISEMENT

5A Final

HSFballFan19

Jul 4, 2017
I'll definitely be in Hershey Saturday for the PR-SJP game. I'm trying to decide if it is worth going up Friday night for the Wood Gateway game. I'm somewhat familiar with Wood, but I don't know much about Gateway. Should this be a good game? From a little research, it appears Gateway has a great QB-WR combination.

I'll definitely be in Hershey Saturday for the PR-SJP game. I'm trying to decide if it is worth going up Friday night for the Wood Gateway game. I'm somewhat familiar with Wood, but I don't know much about Gateway. Should this be a good game? From a little research, it appears Gateway has a great QB-WR combination.
I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. Gateway has a long history of talented teams and this year is a good one also.For many years I would spend the weekend in Hershey and never miss a snap. Unfortunately I cant make it ,but I really like watching the Wood team execute. I will be home watching all the games for sure. Get em Vikings !!

Reactions: MC1975
FYI Gateways QB was 36 for 54 467 yds. against Manhiem Central. That is a lot of airing it out.

I don’t think Gateway will be able to keep up with Woods brutal style of play. Wood year in and year out have athletes but their line play is just so physical and technical. Gateway is back so to speak after being down when they forced Terry Smith out( coach at PSU now ). They have speed and Hull (coached at Erie prep and Seneca valley)their coach of two years Is very good. I just think Wood will wear them down. Wood can match up with their team speed and nullify their air attack.
Wood by 17 or so...

Reactions: lilromeo
I don’t think Gateway will be able to keep up with Woods brutal style of play. Wood year in and year out have athletes but their line play is just so physical and technical. Gateway is back so to speak after being down when they forced Terry Smith out( coach at PSU now ). They have speed and Hull (coached at Erie prep and Seneca valley)their coach of two years Is very good. I just think Wood will wear them down. Wood can match up with their team speed and nullify their air attack.
Wood by 17 or so...
I watched some of their game on video and their QB is pretty darn good.I agree that Wood should be able to control the game with their Running attack ,but they haven't seen a QB like this kid since earlier in the year .

Reactions: Soup13
The QB is very good but I guarantee he hasn't seen a defense like Woods all season. He will be facing some heat for sure.

Yes from the highlights and recaps I've seen this QB-WR duo for Gateway looks very good. They are putting up a lot of points and it seems like they've played some quality opponents. The WPIAL is traditionally a pretty deep league, correct? I'm not sure how good Wood's DBs are, but they better be ready.

HSfBallfan - Wood has the DBs for sure. Gateway is very good in all phases but I think being light on DL and Linebackers will hurt them. I have seen several games in the 5A WPIAL this year, it was solid and also competitive in 5A for sure. I have close friends tied to the Wood program and take in 3-5 games a year. They have it all brother; size speed, coaching. Brady has not seen a D like this and Gateways Freshman running back will have to grow up real fast. No disrespect to Gateway but they will have their hands full.

Great, it sounds like it should be a good game with contrasting styles. Wood's ground and pound vs Gateway's aerial attack. Wood's ball control rushing attack is suited for these cold December games in Hershey.

Gateway is Home team and requested to wear their White Jerseys. Wood will be Away team and in all black. Just in case if anyone wonders.

How do they determine home and away in the state finals? Coin flip? Honest question

alternating yrs
should be based on 2014 lineups
1 East Home
2 West Home
3 West Home
4 East Home
5 not sure, I'll see if I can find out. Kitwor knows
6 ??

Last edited:
Reactions: newport
HSfBallfan - Wood has the DBs for sure. Gateway is very good in all phases but I think being light on DL and Linebackers will hurt them. I have seen several games in the 5A WPIAL this year, it was solid and also competitive in 5A for sure. I have close friends tied to the Wood program and take in 3-5 games a year. They have it all brother; size speed, coaching. Brady has not seen a D like this and Gateways Freshman running back will have to grow up real fast. No disrespect to Gateway but they will have their hands full.
They'll need 4 good DBs or a lot of front pressure to effect Gateway's quality receivers.

They'll need 4 good DBs or a lot of front pressure to effect Gateway's quality receivers.

Stalk-They can match up with them. They have 15 picks overall, good size & speed, use multiple kids overall.A lot of Gateway's throws are quick, short, WR screens, pick and yards after catch. Throw in some zone read running. Brady’s a state leading record breaking guy for a reason...

I know they have Peoples in the secondary and that obviously helps. I think they'll need the other DBs to play well to slow down this passing attack, which doesn't appear to have been stopped all year. I believe the one game they were shut out, their QB was hurt. Other then that, they are putting up points in bunches.

I know they have Peoples in the secondary and that obviously helps. I think they'll need the other DBs to play well to slow down this passing attack, which doesn't appear to have been stopped all year. I believe the one game they were shut out, their QB was hurt. Other then that, they are putting up points in bunches.
HSFB
Walker was hurt in the 1st Penn Trafford game but played. The 2nd game they played it was pretty close w/ the Gators closing it out. Wood had speed, always do. The key is if Wood has long drives and keeps them off the field. Wood does not pass much but does from play action. Also a concern is gateways DL & LBs are fast but light. Wood OL is big.....

Soup, I agree with that assessment. Wood's OL is always fun to watch. You can see the Carey influence in their technique and explosiveness off the ball. I enjoy seeing it as it is somewhat of a lost art in high school today. I'm excited for this game!

Wood has a good secondary outside of Peoples. The Otto brothers are good players, who have made plays all year. Ryan Loughlin is an underrated athlete. They have a couple of others who chip in and see time. Wood is good in their front seven and strong at LB and on the DEs. They'll get to the QB I predict multiple times. Of course, any heavy-pass team is going to have some success, but I think Wood's defense is equipped to compete and win more plays than they lose.

I don't see Gateways D slowing Wood down at all. I think Wood will put up a minimum of 42. If Gateway can score more than that then so be it.

Stalk-They can match up with them. They have 15 picks overall, good size & speed, use multiple kids overall.A lot of Gateway's throws are quick, short, WR screens, pick and yards after catch. Throw in some zone read running. Brady’s a state leading record breaking guy for a reason...
I think it's going to be interesting Soup13 but realize Gateway is not the Gateway of a few years ago. But these extreme Qbs are always the wild card. Having said that, I live just outside Philly realize Wood is special. Do beli
Thanks Soup

I think it's going to be interesting Soup13 but realize Gateway is not the Gateway of a few years ago. But these extreme Qbs are always the wild card. Having said that, I live just outside Philly realize Wood is special. Do beli
Thanks Soup
Stalk - I agree this is the gateway of the 80s when they were a power in 4A. Walker is a tough, “wirey” kid who is a great HS qb, like Martin of Prep or Ernst of NP, small but really good , system they run helps him. Davis the freshman running back will be in time a major recruit but Hull is just in my opinion a great ass coach. I think wood can bully them with their usual run game. I am in Philly but fortunate to travel west for work and see the whole state play this great game!

Stalk - I agree this is the gateway of the 80s when they were a power in 4A. Walker is a tough, “wirey” kid who is a great HS qb, like Martin of Prep or Ernst of NP, small but really good , system they run helps him. Davis the freshman running back will be in time a major recruit but Hull is just in my opinion a great ass coach. I think wood can bully them with their usual run game. I am in Philly but fortunate to travel west for work and see the whole state play this great game!
Best of luck to the Vikings.

If those first drives by each team is any indication, Gateway is in trouble. But.... they do have the type of offense that can play catch up. We shall see

Gateway cannot handle this wood line on both sides this is gonna be over by halftime.

I hope the PIAA is enjoying blowout city in every game. I expect Middletown to roll too tomorrow. They need a great game in the 6A final.

Let's expand to 8 classes........ah, never mind

Right on roxy. Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it. I remember a time where a lot laughed at prospect of catholic league competing let alone dominating. Can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Green and roxy- do these blowouts make you happy? Do you think they're good for PA football? I'm sensing you guys are PLC guys, just want your honest opinion. What are viable options in your eyes or do you think just keep it the way it is?

Green and roxy- do these blowouts make you happy? Do you think they're good for PA football? I'm sensing you guys are PLC guys, just want your honest opinion. What are viable options in your eyes or do you think just keep it the way it is?
It's not about happiness, it's about the rules. It's worth being reminded that the PCL did not approach PIAA. It's the best league in PA and PIAA wanted the visibility that the PCL delivers. PCL is doing nothing different. i would suspect that if PCL were cut loose, they would self schedule and continue to integrate out of state games. I'm sure there will be discussions, however, going to 8 divisions is not the answer.

The difference is the transfers are up since they’ve joined the Piaa. The other difference is when the transfers/recruited players were going to the pcl they weren’t then also playing the public’s for championships. Lastly if there was a time when the catholic league was laughable why would the Piaa approach them to join per roxy comment

Reactions: halefleet
The difference is the transfers are up since they’ve joined the Piaa. The other difference is when the transfers/recruited players were going to the pcl they weren’t then also playing the public’s for championships. Lastly if there was a time when the catholic league was laughable why would the Piaa approach them to join per roxy comment
Because it brings greater visibility to PA football in general. I suspect the 'laugh' comment was related to the 2003 season when North Penn and SJP went undefeated but didn't play each other. Many on this board said the PCL couldn't hold up to the likes of North Penn, Neshaminy, Costesville and Parkland not to mention the teams out west.

Because it brings greater visibility to PA football in general. I suspect the 'laugh' comment was related to the 2003 season when North Penn and SJP went undefeated but didn't play each other. Many on this board said the PCL couldn't hold up to the likes of North Penn, Neshaminy, Costesville and Parkland not to mention the teams out west.

Roxy, Oh my, the games that never happened. I put PSU-Nebraska in '94 in that category and of course SJP-NP in '03.

As a HS football fan in SE PA, we have had some great games in the east final involving D1 and PCL. Take away Pennsbury and SJP 3 years ago and each has been superb. Obviously the issues are with the lower classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT