ADVERTISEMENT

409: Coach Paterno's wins restored.

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Any views? I think it's great news and perhaps the tip of the iceberg in terms of NCAA overreach and how that all fleshes out....if at all. A trial would have obviously opened the books on the NCAA in a unflattering way. The decision also frees up the 60M fine to be used for child protection services rather than held in abeyance per continued litigation making it a win on a number of levels.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-111-wins-were-vacated-restored

Money can buy your way out of anything. Still will be tarnished legend as most see clearly outside of PA. Peace out.

My father grew up cheering for Joe and PSU. So did I. But him turning a blind eye to that ... really takes a lot away from my thoughts of him as a man.

rtc,
I as well grew up as a JoePa/PSU fan, admired his decades of work and dedication to the school and football. While I have no desire to rehash the entire case, Sandusky's "past" as we've learned seems to have fooled the entire Centre County community, including law enforcement when prior "noise" was investigated.
The trouble I've always had with this case and for those who claim Coach Paterno did nothing or not enough, what was the real responsibility of the higher-up PSU administrators upon having the matter directly referred to them?

"As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators".

I was deeply saddened by the events of this case and the welfare of the kids affected. Coach Paterno's legacy can only be survived by PSU and our community at-large continuing to be at the forefront of child abuse education and support. While I was pleased to see the vacated wins properly restored, it pales in comparison to the real life matter.

Does anyone find it ironic that most of the items that were origianlly agreed to by PSU and are now being renogoatiated by the school ( and the NCAA) came soon after the last victims lawsuit was settled out of court? While all the litiagtion was pending and the issues were still fresh and raw, Penn State agreed moslty without a fight to each and every sanction for fear if the fought it they might be looking at the death penalty for college football. It was good PR at the timke to just go along with it all.

But now that Sandusky is behind bars, and all of the victims have been "paid off" and signed confidential releases, most everything is in play again as to the sanctions. As if the five years worth of penalties was too long to wait now that5 all the bad stuff has been resolved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT