ADVERTISEMENT

3A Southwest Regional Wrestling

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
The toughest region in the state - once again the WPIAL is loaded. Normally, top four here would be qualifying for Hershey, but this year it is the top 3 advancing to a Super Regional bloodbath with the top 3 from District 3 (South Central Region) and the top 2 from District 4/6/8/9/10 (Northwest Region). This will be the week that tons of state qualify kids get left home with the restricted postseason.

The favorite here is #2 Tyler Chappell (Seneca Valley), who won 25 matches and a sectional title as a freshman, but missed states after a brutal 106 class in the WPIAL. He’s back, finds himself in the back of the national rankings, and is on the shortlist of state title contenders in the lightest class. He finds himself in a tough quartile, and likely will see freshman #13 Andrew Binni (Canon-McMillan) in semis with a Super Regional berth on the line. Binni took third at jJunior High states as a 7th grader and is going to be heard from, but might be e year away from beating Chappell. The bottom half features #10 Antonio Walker (Plum), #12 Kyle Szewczyk (Waynesburg), and #23 Gio Schipani (North Hills), all freshmen to watch.

Predictions
1. Tyler Chappell, Seneca Valley (So.)
2. Ky Szewczyk, Waynesburg Central (Fr.)
3. Andrew Binni, Canon-McMillan (Fr.)

Returning state champion #1 Vinny Kilkeary (Greater Latrobe) is the favorite here by a mile. Kilkeary, ranked #3 nationally, is all excitement all the time – he loves to go upper body, scores a ton of points, and is amongst the strongest pound for pound wrestlers in the state. He should cruise through on the top half. On the tobbtom, #5 Troy Hohman (Penn-Trafford) and #10 Joe Simon (Waynesburg). Hohman was a state qualifier as a freshman, stealing that last spot at 106 out of the WPIAL. Simon has really strengthened the bottom of the Waynesburg lineup, and cements them as favorites to win the team state title. Best bet to to challenge for the third spot is #14 Anthony Ferraro (Pine-Richland), the fourth sectional champ.
1. Vinny Kilkeary, Greater Latrobe (So.)
2. Troy Hohman, Penn-Trafford (Jr.)
3. Joe Simon, Waynesburg (Fr.)

#1 Mac Church (Waynesburg) is the clear favorite here both in the region and state. Church took 3rd at 106 as a freshman, losing a controversial quarterfinal match up that denied him a chance to become Waynesburg’s first freshman champion since Jim Conklin won his first of four titles in 1940. His toughest competitors are both in the bottom half of the bracket in #7 Dylan Coy (North Allegheny) and #11 Jacob Houpt (Canon-McMillan). Coy was a state qualifier in 2020 and lost in the blood round, while Houpt missed Hershey by one match. Both should move on, with Coy a slight favorite in that semi. #21 Chad Ozias (Connellsville) and #18 Ethan Lebin (Hempfield Area) have a dogfight in the first round, with the winner in the best spot to get a crack at Houpt for a state bid after losing to Church in semis.

Predictions
1. Mac Church, Waynesburg (So.)
2. Dylan Coy, North Allegheny (Jr.)
3. Jacob Houpt, Canon-McMillan (Jr.)

This is where things get crazy. Three different state champs, three of the top five in the state, five of the top 11, and only three Super Regional spots to go around. Your top ranked wrestler is #1 Carter Dibert (Franklin Regional) an Arizona State commit and state champ in 2019 at 106. Dibert took third last year at 113, getting upset by Dante Frinzi (Bethlehem Catholic) in quarters before wrestling back for a bronze medal. Dibert uses the tightwaist tilt series as well as anybody in the state and racks up huge points on top. The state champ at 113 last year was #2 Ethan Berginc (Hempfield Area). Berginc was third at the WPIAL tournament, but caught fire in Hershey, knocking off three regional champions, sealed with a late takedown of Aiden Lewis (Cedar Cliff) to win it all. He’s a grinder, but certainly has a postseason track record. Berginc opens with Vincent Citrano (Plum) who he knocked out in the regional blood round last year. The toughest first round match is #5 Mason Prinkey (Conellsville) and #11 Blake Reihner (Trinity) – Prinkey was a state medalist at 106 in 2019, while Reihner is a highly regarded freshman who has won 25 matches already in his career. On the top half, Dibert will likely see #10 Zander Phaturos (Waynesburg) in semis. Phaturos won a state title in Arizona last year before moving to southwestern PA. Two of those wrestlers will go home - with Prinkey-Phaturos likely being the match for all the marbles.

Predictions
1. Carter Dibert, Franklin Regional (Sr. – Arizona State)
2. Ethan Berginc, Hempfield Area (Sr. – Army)
3. Mason Prinkey, Connellsville (Sr.)

A fourth straight state #1 but a heavy favorite here in Dylan Chappell (Seneca Valley). Chappell is a two-time state finalist, losing to Carter Dibert at 106 in 2019 and Will Betancourt (Manheim Township – now at Lock Haven) on a late takedown last year at 126. Chappell is loaded for bear this season and is the favorite in a pretty open weight class. #6 Colton Stoneking (Waynesburg) should come out of the bottom of the bracket and he has really jumped a level since being a dependable but unspectacular starter as a sophomore. He’s got a fun semi with #7 Briar Priest (Hempfield Area), though both should safely advance to Super Regionals. #10 Nate Roth (Greater Latrobe) is the fourth top ten wrestler in the weight, he’ll get a crack at Chappell in semis. #15 Costa Moore (Canon-McMillan) is a former state qualifier, but opens with Chappell, then gets the Stoneking-Priest loser in a consolation match – he’ll need an upset to extend his season.

Predictions
1. Dylan Chappell, Seneca Valley (Sr.)
2. Colton Stoneking, Waynesburg (Jr.)
3. Briar Priest, Hempfield Area (Jr.)

Another ho-hum bracket with three of the top five wrestlers in the state. #2 Finn Solomon (Franklin Regional) was a state finalist as a freshman, but got pinned in wrestlebacks at regionals, ending his season before Hershey. He’s another hammer on top from Franklin Regional and is a match up problem in this weight class. #4 Cole Homet (Waynesburg) is a two-time state medalist whose onl postseason losses last year came to state champs Kenny Hermann (Bethlehem Catholic – now Harvard) and Alejandro Herrera-Rondon (Seneca Valley – see 152). Homet is the better wrestler from neutral should those two hit in finals. Also in the state top five is #5 Dylan Evans (Chartiers Valley), who Homet beat last weekend for a sectional crown. drops Evans into a semi with Solomon which gives some fireworks on that half of the bracket. Evans took 8th last year at 126 and like Homet is on track to be a four-time state medalist. The best bet to crash the part is #14 Lucas Kapusta (Hempfield Area), a sophomore who won the Section II championship last weekend.

Predictions
1. Cole Homet, Waynesburg (Jr.)
2. Finn Solomon, Franklin Regional (Jr.)
3. Dylan Evans, Chartiers Valley (So.)

Any time Iowa comes in and gets a kid from Pennsylvania, you know he’s a big deal. Returning state champion #1 Wyatt Henson (Waynesburg) is ranked #4 nationally and is one of the best college prospects in PA. The genes are great – his father is Sammy “The Bull” Henson, a Olympic silver medalist and two-time NCAA champion. Wyatt wrestlers like his dad – super physical, great in tie ups and in short offense. He beat two-time state champ Sammy Hillegas (North Hills – now at Virginia Tech) to win his title last year, and doesn’t have anybody of that caliber to push him on his way to a second. The top three guys at this weight stateweide are all in the WPIAL. #2 John Alteri (Norwin) was fourth in Hershey last year at 138, and pulled a mild upset last week with a sectional finals win over #3 Ty Linsenbigler (Hempfield Area). Linsenbigler dropped down from 152 to avoid the deepest weight in Pennsylvania, and is a two-time state medalist, fifth last year at 145 and fourth as a sophomore at 138. Those two will hit in semis on the bottom half, though Alteieri has a first round match up with Junior High state champion #25 Bodie Morgan (Trinity) and while I don’t think the freshman will win, he’ll push Altieri. Henson should see #9 Kelin Laffey (Pine-Richland) in his semi, who in a normal year would feel pretty good about going to Hershey, but he's got a tall order beating one of the top three guys in the state to get there.

Predictions
1. Wyatt Henson, Wyanesburg (Sr. – Iowa)
2. Ty Linsenbigler, Hempfield Area (Sr. – Lock Haven)
3. John Altieri, Norwin (Sr. – Bucknell)

This is the best weight in Pennsylvania, with four nationally ranked wrestlers at the top, six Division I commits, six returning state medalists, and ten returning state qualifiers. Three of those nationally ranked kids are in the WPIAL, including #1 Alejandro Herrara-Rondon (Seneca Valley). AHR was a state champion as a freshman and sophomore, but took fourth last year, dropping his semifinal in ultimate tiebreakerHe owns wins over #2 Rocco Welsh (Waynesburg) this season, but the precocious sophomore certainly could knock him off in the next three weeks. Welsh was the state r runner up at 126 last year and is as physical as they come. #4 Jared Keslar (Connellsivlle) was another state semifinalist last year, who knocked out two regional champions on his way to a fourth lace finish at 145. Keslar is the most wide open wrestler in the weight class, who can really score from his feet and make people uncomfortable in scrambles. Keslar and Welsh in semis may be the best match of the weekend. AHR is ranked #3 nationally, Welsh #5 and Keslar #6. I’m going to go a little off the board here with Keslar winning, but this will be nuts all the way through, particularly when #3 Paniro Johnson (Erie Cathedral Prep) gets added to this mix next weekend at Super Regionals.

Predictions
1. Jared Keslar, Connellsville (Jr.)
2. Alejandro Herrera-Rondon, Senca Valley (Sr. – Oklahoma)
3. Rocco Welsh, Waynesburg (So.)

Football fans are quite familiar with the favorite here, #2 Cole Spencer (Pine-Richland). The 5A football player of the year and two-time state medalist is a solid favorite both to win the WPIAL and to make a state finals run. His biggest challenge this weekend comes from #6 Enzo Morlacci (Kiski Area) who finds himself in the back half of some national rankings and has come into his own as a junior. That should be the regional final. #8 Chase Kranitz (NOrwin) should give MOrlacci a push in semis and the returning state qualifier certainly has a shot to be Spencer’s finals opponent. #12 Nate Stephenson (Waynesburg) is in the top half with Spencer, and would be the fourth guy and has the best shot ot challenge Kranitz for the last spot.

Predictions
1. Cole Spencer, Pine-Richland (Sr. – Penn)
2. Enzo Morlacci, Kiski Area (Jr.)
3. Chase Kranitz, Norwin (Jr.)

Anther solid favorite here in #2 Luca Augustine (Waynesburg). Augustine tok 6th last year at 160 after spending a lot of the year in the national rankings after a red hot Ironman to start the season. Augustine is a bruiser who really embodies the physical style at Waynesburg. #5 Sammy Starr (Kiski Area) is the favorite in the bottom half of the bracket and finds himself ranked nationally in a couple publications. He’ll have to contend with #9 Brian Finnerty (Thomas Jefferson), who is looking for his first trip to states. With Augustine is rising star #10 Matthew Furman (canon-McMillan). Sophomores making a dent at 172 are usually future state champs, and Furman definitely has that label attached. I like him to knock out Finnerty for the final Super Regional spot. #21 Keith Brubach (Mars) is the other ranked wrestler at the weight, but with four of the top ten, not a lot of room here to qualify for Supers.

Predictions
1. Luca Augustine, Waynesburg (Sr. – Pittsburgh)
2. Sammy Starr, Kiski Area (Sr.)
3. Matthew Furman, Canon-McMillan (So.)

This weight class has taken a major hit in the WPIAL. Mac Stout (Mount Lebanon) is a returning state finalist and a clear cut #1 in the state, but suffered a serious knee injury at PowerAde last month, ending the junior’s season. Donovan McMillan (Peters Township) is another state finalist who could be at this weight class, but the four star safety is an early enrollee for football at Florida and obviously will not wrestle. With those two gone, it’s wide open. #8 Brayden Roscosky (Kiski Area) was 6th in Hershey at 195 last year and spent most of the year in the top five, but was upset by #7 Justin Hart (Hampton) in last week’s sectional final. Hart is looking to be a four time state qualifier but has yet to medal in Hershey. Both are mobile for big guys and are good picks to see each other in another final this week. #13 Cooper Baxter (Butler) is looking to play spoiler on the bottom half with Roscosky, while #19 Logan Hoffman (Belle Vernon) and #18 Liam Volk-Kloss (Seneca Valley) will get their crack at Hart up top, depending on who surives their first round match up. The loser will likely see Baxter in the consy semi, while the winner will have to beat Baxter for third to get the Super spot.

Predictions
1. Brayden Roscosky, Kiski Area (Sr.)
2. Justin Hart, Hampton (Sr.)
3. Cooper Baxter, Butler (Jr.)

This weight class got a shot in the arm with the addition of #7 Logan Harmon (Armstrong), who moved up from 189 to avoid the logjam there. While this weight class is less deep, it does feature #2 Cole Weightman (Belle Vernon). Weightman medaled here as a sophomore, and is one of the best upper weight athletes in Pennsylvania. He’s certainly in the mix for a state title and is both a Division I recruit as a wrestler and as a football player, where he was an All State linebacker in 4A this season. . Harmon was a state qualifier last season and should come out of the bottom bracket to see Weightman in the final. #18 Ty Banco (Trinity) is Weightman’s challenger up top, the former Junior High state champ is maybe the future of heavyweight in PA, but isn’t quite there to beat Weightman. #15 Brady Leczo (North Allegheny) is the other big favorite to make Super Regionals and should see Harmon in the semifinals. It should be a fun bout between him and Banco for the Super Regional spot - the stronger, more experienced older guy versus a green but talented sophomore.

Predictions
1. Cole Weightman, Belle Vernon (Jr.)
2. Logan Harmon, Armstrong (Sr.)
3. Ty Banco, Trinity (So.)

The biggest upset of last weekend was at heavyweight, where #2 Billy McChesney (Greensburg-Salem) beat #2 Isaiah Vance (Hempfield Area) to take the Section II title. Vance was a state finalist in 2020 and is ranked #8 nationally at heavyweight after winning PowerAde and beating National Prep champion Coltin Deery (Malvern Prep). He had beaten McChesney ten straight times, including in the 2020 WPIAL finals. McChesney did not come out of nowhere though – he was 7th at heavyweight as a sophomore, no small feat for an underclassman. He’s got a handful of FCS offers as an defensive tackle, though could see his wrestling stock skyrocket depending on how he navigates a really good heavyweight class. #6 Dawson Dietz (Hampton) is another returning state qualifier who will see Vance in the bottom half semis. #13Ryan Howard (Waynesburg) is the major possibility to advance, he’s bulked up after a solid season at 220 and would put an exclamation mark on a big weekend from Waynesburg if he could upst Dietz for the third spot. #21 Tyson Brophy (Trinity), and Stone Joseph (Kiski Area) are other contenders for that final spot. Joseph has battled injuries but is amongst the most talented guys in the weight

Predictions
1. Isaiah Vance, Hempfield Area (Sr. – Army)
2. Billy McChesney, Greensburg-Salem (Jr.)
3. Dawson Dietz, Hampton (Sr.)

Last edited:
Good stuff Rover. SE Regionals at both CR schools tomorrow. How do you like Hauserman's chances looking ahead? He really bulked up going from 120 to 138.

Good stuff Rover. SE Regionals at both CR schools tomorrow. How do you like Hauserman's chances looking ahead? He really bulked up going from 120 to 138.

He’s the favorite at 138. I think 132 and 138 are kind of open for both finalists spots, but Hauserman is the safest bet in the field. It’s also a weight where Super Regionals are incredibly unbalanced. Hauserman is #1, DeFalco from Quakertown is #8, and Andrew Harmon from Becahi is #10. The rest of the top ten is out west, with the three WPIAL guys in the top five, JoshMiller from Centeal Dauphin, Matt Sarbo from Altoona, and Chandler Ho from DuBois battling for four spots at states. I happen to be really high in Cole Homet from Waynesburg, but he’s got a hell of a run just to get to Hershey in a way Hauserman doesn’t, so I wouldn’t bet him if that makes sense.

I’m interested to see Bekhruz Sadriddinov for CRSat 152. Really highly touted freshman. He’ll get to see Martin and Barlow this weekend, then add Evan Gleason next weekend, but from everything I’ve heard he’s the real deal.

Reactions: Relayer
Tyler Chappell hangs on to beat Andrew Binni 1-0, while Antonio Walker got Ky Szewczyki in the other semi to clinch the first two super spots.

Last edited:
Cole Spencer wins at 160

It looks like he’s on a collision course with Jagger Condomitti in two weekends, though his semi and final were a little closer than I was expecting. Richner from Bellefonte and McGill from Spring-Ford might give those two a push Supers next weekend, but pretty confident that’s your state final.

Big surprise was Mac Church losing to Dylan Coy in finals at 120. It wasn’tstreamed anywhere, so I don’t know what happened, but i thought Church was one of the safer bets in the field. Keslar just barely got beat by Welsh at 152, spoiling my upset pick (Welsh took him down with 5 seconds left to win 7-6), then AHR beat Welsh for the third time this year in the final. Looks like Altieri had a late score to beat Linsenbigler in the other really good semi. Dibert kind of handed Berginc in the match of of state champs. Homet beat Solomon which should position him as Hauserman’s biggest challenger at states. Just Hart won again over Roscosky, while Vance flipped things back at heavyweight over McChesney.

Mason Prinkey, Jacob Houpt, and Enzo Morlacci getting left home is the biggest surprise to me. Prinkey was certainly in a tough weight,but I thought he was solid. Pins are game changers.

Rover, I think I saw the Church/Coy match. I think but cannot be sure that it was a reversal or takedown at the very end of the 3rd period. It was streamed on TribLive HSSN.

He’s the favorite at 138. I think 132 and 138 are kind of open for both finalists spots, but Hauserman is the safest bet in the field. It’s also a weight where Super Regionals are incredibly unbalanced. Hauserman is #1, DeFalco from Quakertown is #8, and Andrew Harmon from Becahi is #10. The rest of the top ten is out west, with the three WPIAL guys in the top five, JoshMiller from Centeal Dauphin, Matt Sarbo from Altoona, and Chandler Ho from DuBois battling for four spots at states. I happen to be really high in Cole Homet from Waynesburg, but he’s got a hell of a run just to get to Hershey in a way Hauserman doesn’t, so I wouldn’t bet him if that makes sense.

I’m interested to see Bekhruz Sadriddinov for CRSat 152. Really highly touted freshman. He’ll get to see Martin and Barlow this weekend, then add Evan Gleason next weekend, but from everything I’ve heard he’s the real deal.

A disappointing Saturday for CR-South. Only two of 8 advance with no champs. It's been one of those years I guess. South is young and return many, so next season looks promising.

Being from that area and wrestling in that area, the bane of any Greene County Wrestler was Waynesburg. Even in the 1980's when I wrestled West Greene was tough as was Jefferson Morgan(Kolat) but the Big Red W as we called them Waynesburg was always the best team around

Being from that area and wrestling in that area, the bane of any Greene County Wrestler was Waynesburg. Even in the 1980's when I wrestled West Greene was tough as was Jefferson Morgan(Kolat) but the Big Red W as we called them Waynesburg was always the best team around

Waynesburg is one of those schools that has been good forever. They're one of the few schools with a four time state champ (Jim Conklin) and an Olympic Medalist (Coleman Scott - now the head coach at UNC) - and those two wrestled there sixty years apart! Waynesburg is third in PIAA history in state champs with 32, behind only Clearfield (41) and Easton (35), and tied with Bethlehem Catholic for sixth in medalists with 93 (second in the WPIAL behind Canon-McMillan)

There is tons of history, but they've never won a team state title. Last year was there first trip to state duals (though that has only been around since 1999) and they were runner-ups to Nazareth. They were third at the individual tournament last year, which tied with 2002 (the year Scott and Drew Headlee were state champs) for their best finish there. This year, they are solidly the favorite in Hershey. Mac Church, Cole Homet, Wyatt Henson, Rocco Welsh, and Luca Augustine are all nationally ranked and will score a bunch of team points. I wouldn't be shocked to see all five in finals and Church and Henson are the favorites (despite Church's loss last week). It is a shame that such a good program is having their banner year in such a bizarre season, but it is what it is. A lot of their lineup is underclassmen (Church and Welsh are sophomores) so they'll be around, but this is probably their best shot.

Yes I that is true but back in the 80's when I was there Waynesburg was very good but so was
Trinity
Connellsville
Cannon Mac
McGuffey
North Allegheny
so it was a blood bath
I wrestled AA and it was tough so AAA had to be a killer

Last edited:
Yes I that is true but back in the 80's when I was there Waynesburg was very good but so was
Trinity
Connellsville
Cannon Mac
McGuffey
North Allegheny
so it was a blood bath
I wrestled AA and it was tough so AAA had to be a killer

All historically great programs. North Allegheny in the late 1980s was the baddest kid on the block - those are some of the best high school teams of all time - they were state champs four years in a row from 1987-1990 and were the #1 team in the country in 1988 and 1990, and the '90 team was the first team in the modern era with four state champions (Northampton in 2003 and Franklin Regional in 2015 are the others).

Trinity and North Allegheny are tied for 6th in all-time state champs with 28 and they're 9th and 12th in medals. Trinity hasn't had a medalist in 11 years, but they've got a couple kids in the pipeline now. Connellsville was probably the best WPIAL program in the 90s and early 2000s and won a team title in 2005 (also has an NCAA champ this century in Jarrod King). They haven't dominated as a team as recently, but always have a kid or two - Jared Keslar right now is really good.

Canon McMillan is in the conversation for best program in Pennsylvania history. They're fifth in medals and eight in champs - but that is just Canon Mac, if you add in Canosnburg High School (which merged with two smaller township schools in 1958) to their history, it puts them second in medals (giving them 136 - two ahead of Easton and four behind Reynolds) and they have the most state champions (giving them 46 to Clearfield's 41). They've also had a state champ for four years in a row and have four team titles since 1992.

McGuffey has fallen off a little - they haven't had a champ since Jeff Breese in 2001, but certainly in the Jeremy Hunter era (four time state champ and NCAA champ for Penn State) they could throw their weight around.

Sammy, were you guys able to have a season down in NC? If so, how did it go? Good luck to you and your squad!

Sammy, were you guys able to have a season down in NC? If so, how did it go? Good luck to you and your squad!
First game if this Friday so NC will have a football season. We did not play week one due to covid issues but we should be good for the rest of the season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT