ADVERTISEMENT

3 games that caught my eye...Sept. 8-9

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
Last week: (1-2)

NP (0-2) @ Pennsbury (2-0) (NP -5.5)
Wow..NP is sitting at 0-2 with league road games at Pennridge and Souderton and a home game against an improved CB South squad still looming after riding up to Fairless Hills. Could we be looking at a District 1 6A playoff without the Knights? I would not bet on it. My guess is NP gets its defense figured out (a little bit) this week against the Falcons & WR Justin Henley and TE Owen Thomas lead another big scoring night for NP. Look for a return to normalcy as the Knights take care of another tough road game in a brutal early season schedule….NP 38-21

Garnet Valley (2-0) @ Ridley (1-1) (GV -6.5)
GV is feared in the Central with its up-tempo, veer option attack but so far it has been the underrated defense that has them sitting at 2-0. They have only given up 3 TDs and 1 of them was an INT return Wk 1. The Jaguars simply wear teams down with their depth and I don’t think even the familiarity with the system from Ridley OC (former Garnet OC) Scott Green makes a difference as the Jags beat the Green Raiders. Could we be looking at the District 1 6A favorite here?…GV 24-13

Malvern Prep (1-0) @ LaSalle (1-1) (MP -2.5)
Malvern got Dave Gueriera his 1st victory in impressive fashion knocking off South Jersey power St. Augustine 27-7. RB O’Shaan Allison is healthy and his explosive threat in the run game gives QB Drew Gunther a chance to sling it around to a deep group of skill players. LaSalle is coming off a tough road loss to MD power McDonough where their QB Isaiah Jones went down with an injury. Here’s hoping its not serious and we’ll see him back this week. Given the question mark of one of their biggest weapons, I could see a low scoring type of game as LaSalle tries to control the clock and play solid defense. I do think the Explorers D is good enough to keep it close but they might struggle to get points on the board with a less than 100% Jones. I'll take the Explorers in mild upset with a late FG to win….LS 20-17

NP 31 - Pennsbury 14
Wouldn't want to PB this week

GV 28 - Ridley 7
GV is the top and class of the Central. Great coach and program

Malvern 21 - LaSalle 17
Chester County's Prep wins this one

Wow..NP is sitting at 0-2 with league road games at Pennridge and Souderton and a home game against an improved CB South squad still looming after riding up to Fairless Hills. Could we be looking at a District 1 6A playoff without the Knights? I would not bet on it. My guess is NP gets its defense figured out (a little bit) this week against the Falcons & WR Justin Henley and TE Owen Thomas lead another big scoring night for NP. Look for a return to normalcy as the Knights take care of another tough road game in a brutal early season schedule….NP 38-21

GV is feared in the Central with its up-tempo, veer option attack but so far it has been the underrated defense that has them sitting at 2-0. They have only given up 3 TDs and 1 of them was an INT return Wk 1. The Jaguars simply wear teams down with their depth and I don’t think even the familiarity with the system from Ridley OC (former Garnet OC) Scott Green makes a difference as the Jags beat the Green Raiders. Could we be looking at the District 1 6A favorite here?…GV 24-13

Malvern got Dave Gueriera his 1st victory in impressive fashion knocking off South Jersey power St. Augustine 27-7. RB O’Shaan Allison is healthy and his explosive threat in the run game gives QB Drew Gunther a chance to sling it around to a deep group of skill players. LaSalle is coming off a tough road loss to MD power McDonough where their QB Isaiah Jones went down with an injury. Here’s hoping its not serious and we’ll see him back this week. Given the question mark of one of their biggest weapons, I could see a low scoring type of game as LaSalle tries to control the clock and play solid defense. I do think the Explorers D is good enough to keep it close but they might struggle to get points on the board with a less than 100% Jones. I'll take the Explorers in mild upset with a late FG to win….LS 20-17

Solid Win for Malvern but St. Augustine is far from a power this year with multiple kids transferring out and new coach.

1. I think NP gets back on track against Pennsbury this week. I'll take the "favorite."
2. GV is so tough to defend. However, I believe Ridley is running the option again? It should help them in defending against it. I think this game may be a little closer than people think. I still like GV (too well coached).
3. A lot of this depends on the health of LaSalle's QB (much like the rest of their season, obviously). If healthy, I think LS has their way with them. LaSalle's offense will be too much for Malvern to handle assuming they have their QB.

Nice n_a_f.

I think NP is right on, G-Val vs Rid I’d have as a pick em and MP-LS….? A lean to LS. NP-PSB not what it used to be and it’s always a struggle at Ridley, probably a tighter game with them going option (Boo) and hopefully IJ is healthy for LS.

ADVERTISEMENT