ADVERTISEMENT

3 Games that caught my eye...Oct. 13-14

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
Last week: 5-0
Overall: 17-3
Last weeks bonus picks helped with old winning percentage (maybe I should take my act to Vegas) and this weeks games look pretty good too with Ches-Mont titans Unionville and Donwingtown East going at it in a crossover game while Central Bucks neighbors West and South get together in Warrington. Playoff football is right around the corner and this week is when things start to work themselves out. The Central League is primed for a HUGE game next week as long as Springfield-Delco can hold up their end of the bargain.

Unionville (7-0) @ Downingtown East (7-0) (-4.5)
Top teams in each division of the Ches-Mont faceoff and both teams are coming off emotional wins in closely contested rivalry games. The Cougars came out on top in a closer than expected Battle of the Brandywine with DWest while Unionville needed a 4th quarter score and last minute stop to secure a win against Rustin. The big question is will DEast be looking ahead to Coatesville next week? For their sake, I hope not because Unionville is not afraid to battle with big boys. They’ve beaten Spring-Ford and a tough Avon Grove team this year and don’t forget that a few years back they went up to Pennsbury in a 1st Rd. playoff game as a #16 seed and upset the Falcons. Coach Pat Clark is a master at utilizing his best players and this year he has QB/RB/WR/SS Joe Zubillaga to fill that role. He is the team’s leading rusher and 2nd leading receiver. DEast had better account for him or it could be a long night. I think the game will come down to who can be the better team against the run as both teams use a power run game. My best guess is that sandwiched in between 2 rivals, Unionville will make this game closer than expected for DEast but their power run game which has accounted for almost 2,000 yards already will win the battle….DEast 28-23

CB West (5-2) @ CB South (5-2) (-3)
Central Bucks football is alive and well with the Bucks and Titans both sitting in prime position for a playoff spot. I could not find two teams more similar if I tried-both are balanced on O with RB’s who are pretty similar threats-Jake Reichwein for West and Ryan Wagner for South. Both teams play solid if not spectacular D and both teams need this win to secure a shot at a home playoff game in the 1st rd. Both teams have suffered losses at the hands of North Penn and both teams have another loss to a SOL team in front of them in the power rankings (South to Neshaminy, West to Pennridge). So this matchup should allow for some separation between the two in the standings and in bragging rights within the Central Bucks School District. I think this game will be a shootout and if starting QB Jack Johns back, I have South winning this one a little easier….CB South 41-35

Springfield (Delco) (7-0) (-9.5) @ Marple Newtown (4-3)
Springfield finishes with 3 straight road games (@Marple, @Garnet, and @Haverford) and they are looking at potentially winning the Central League outright while taking over the top seed in the 5A bracket. Marple is also going through their toughest stretch of the season and the health of Delco’s all-time leading passer is in question as QB Anthony Paoletti limped through part of last week’s game. If his availability is in question (which I doubt) then I find it hard to believe the Tigers will find much room to operate against an always stingy Springfield D. Even with their star QB on the field, I think Springfield is disciplined enough not to look past Marple on their road to a week 9 showdown with Garnet. The Cougars have the speed and toughness of a typical Delco team and this year’s version is only giving up 8.2 PPG. Led by RB Ja’Den Mackenzie and QB Jack Psenicska, the Springfield O is no slouch either. This team is good enough to compete with some of District 1’s top 6A teams this year. I think their depth and speed will overwhelm the reeling Tigers sending them to the bottom half of the 5A playoff seedings….Springfield 21-7

Think we find a ton out tonight about 5a. Think the three mentioned here are three of four best in 5a. Sneaky suspicion that Marple is way better than people give them credit for right now. Tonight's game very interesting match up. Springfield can run all over the field on D and is quick everywhere. You would think that would pose a similar problem that they faced against Haverford but something tells me marple just played a clunker that night. Springfield three tough ones in a row then playoffs. Ill go Marple in upset tonight. Think there is strong possibility not last time these teams play.

Good point G$$G and nice write-ups n_a_f ! Are you 17-3 against the spread or straight up? If ATS, I'd consider a change of profession, right this minute. Straight up 85% is a nice ATS return too!
The wife couldn't handle me having a pile out on a given Saturday some years ago so I eased up and also worked a legit job although 57-58% was a nice living. Of course, I never do such things now days.

As for CB South, I heard Johns has a torn labrum and can't throw the ball, although he has been playing WR. The kid who was playing QB since that point was a freshman and he was hurt in the Neshaminy game last week. I'm told they are on their third QB and what started out as a very promising season suddenly has lost it's luster.
Another game that caught my eye is Quakertown at Upper Moreland. Not that Quakertown should be the standard by which teams are judged, but UM is undefeated and a win tonight might legitimize what they've accomplished so far.

Good point G$$G and nice write-ups n_a_f ! Are you 17-3 against the spread or straight up? If ATS, I'd consider a change of profession, right this minute. Straight up 85% is a nice ATS return too!
The wife couldn't handle me having a pile out on a given Saturday some years ago so I eased up and also worked a legit job although 57-58% was a nice living. Of course, I never do such things now days.

I wish I were 17-3 ATS! That's my record so far straight up on picks. I'll have to go back and see what it's been ATS. Last night was another good one for the picks but not so great on the spreads....Springfield seems like they are separating themselves in 5A. Unionville battled with DEast but wilted late.

ADVERTISEMENT