ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Coaching Landscape

HSFballFan19

Jul 4, 2017
The recent thread regarding Schmidt, Gordon, and Carey got me thinking...do you see any coaching jobs being turned over next year? I would imagine it would take a special situation to lure these guys back into the grind.

Roman Catholic could use one of these Coaches. Murphy should be on the hot seat after going 1-9 (Roxborough only win) in his 1st year back and 4-8 last season and by the looks of things and the schedule they might only win 1/2 games this season. Time to clean house because it's not working. 5-17 will not get you anywhere, 2 of the 5 are Roxborough.

Is the Roman job attractive enough to bring one of these coaches out of retirement? You have two super powers in your classification to contend with that get all of the best kids in your talent pool. If I'm an in demand coach, I don't think any of the 6A and 5A philly catholic league jobs interest me in the slightest.

Is the Roman job attractive enough to bring one of these coaches out of retirement? You have two super powers in your classification to contend with that get all of the best kids in your talent pool. If I'm an in demand coach, I don't think any of the 6A and 5A philly catholic league jobs interest me in the slightest.
The answer to that question is yes.
Who are the two teams you are referring to? I know Prep is one and the other, Wood or LaSalle?
Either way, Roman was within a total referee meltdown of knocking off LaSalle last season.
Roman has talent on their roster right now. The only issue is most of those talented kids are Sophomores. Roman beat both wood and lasalle on the freshman level last season and the best player in that class was starting LB on the varsity. I know most people on here put 0 emphasis on freshman football so I wont bore you guys with this anymore.
Roman could and should be a great landing spot for inner city talent.

LaSalle is 38-0 against PCL teams not named St. Joseph's Prep or Archbishop Wood this decade, is 50-1 against PCL teams not named St. Joseph's Prep or Archbishop Wood since joining the PIAA. I'm considering them the other super power in the 6A classification that Roman has to contend with to make it out of the PCL. They certainly played them close last year, but there's a decade of evidence to support LaSalle and SJP are playing a different game than the rest of the conference.

SJP, Wood, and LaSalle are 100-4 against the rest of the PCL this decade have combined to go 150-8 since 2008 when they joined the PIAA. Unless I'm taking over one of those three programs, I don't think I want to dive in that pool.

The answer to that question is yes.
Who are the two teams you are referring to? I know Prep is one and the other, Wood or LaSalle?
Either way, Roman was within a total referee meltdown of knocking off LaSalle last season.
Roman has talent on their roster right now. The only issue is most of those talented kids are Sophomores. Roman beat both wood and lasalle on the freshman level last season and the best player in that class was starting LB on the varsity. I know most people on here put 0 emphasis on freshman football so I wont bore you guys with this anymore.
Roman could and should be a great landing spot for inner city talent.
I agree that RC could potentially be a good spot for an innovative, aggressive coach to try to build a program (ala 'Tep if they could get admin to go along). That said, to even pretend that they are even close in stature to LS, save a blow up by the refs is crazy. There is always a reason why the have nots don't get over the hump. Make no mistake, right now RC is a have not.

I agree that RC could potentially be a good spot for an innovative, aggressive coach to try to build a program (ala 'Tep if they could get admin to go along). That said, to even pretend that they are even close in stature to LS, save a blow up by the refs is crazy. There is always a reason why the have nots don't get over the hump. Make no mistake, right now RC is a have not.
By no means was I calling them a contender. I guess what I was trying to state was the gap between RC and the other schools not named prep isn't that far when it comes to talent.

I somewhat agree about Roman. However, couldn't you say the same thing about other PCL schools? Couldn't Judge become a contender with some more administrative buy-in and possibly better coaching?

I somewhat agree about Roman. However, couldn't you say the same thing about other PCL schools? Couldn't Judge become a contender with some more administrative buy-in and possibly better coaching?
both ryan and judge are week this year roman is possibly a contender

get serious. PCL schools are just fodder for Wood, Prep and LaSalle
You've just listed three schools in the one PCL division that are certainly not fodder for one another. And certainly Roman wasn't fodder for LaSalle last year, Judge hasn't been fodder for SJP several recent years, etc. How many close league games did North Penn have last year?

Mactatty,
Roman isn't surprising anybody anytime soon. What is surprising is that they have only 6 total Varsity coaches are you aware of that?They lost good coaches in the last few years for a reason... my prediction 1-9, they won't beat Carroll, Judge or Ryan.

PCL teams outside of la Salle, wood, prep need to consider triple option or other systems outside of the same spread styles. Be the best or be different.

Roman could and should be a power house! Put a guy like Infante there. Roman would be Wood, but better. With that being said how is the support from the administration at Roman as it pertains to football? Roman is centrally located. Can pull kids from many areas, including New Jersey. Wow if Roman is down to 6 varsity coaches that's not good. Why 6 coaches TDjones22?

PCL teams outside of la Salle, wood, prep need to consider triple option or other systems outside of the same spread styles. Be the best or be different.
I agree that not every team should be running the spread, especially if it 1. doesn't fit their talent and 2. coaches don't know the system well enough. But I don't think the triple option is the answer. I believe days of triple option and wing T are long gone.

I agree Roman could be a powerhouse BUT they will never get the support like they do for Basketball. If they did get the support and got the inner city athletes and the kids from NJ a lot could change. But what is appealing to a kid to come play football there when you can goto Prep/LaSalle/Wood. If a Infante type coach was at Roman it could change things a little. I hope to see that someday but knowing Romans administration over the last 25 years NO coaches got help from the Administration and it keeps getting worse. I am not sure why they only have 6 coaches now, i do know that the Head Freshman coach was brought up to varsity then resigned a few weeks after, also the OC from last year resigned. Its a easy assumption that Murphy is the problem, he should have never been hired to come back. Why did they lose Marvin Harrison JR when Sr was a Freshman coach? Simple answer.... Murphy and not having a upcoming QB would be another.

Charlie Hart should be considered Murphys replacement down the line. The long time Prep coach with the RCHS tattoo could return to where it started :)

yes, I think FJ or AR could be more competitive if they had an aggressive coaching staff that really recruited the players that WC used to get and now mostly go to 'Tep. Admin would need to buy in. The one advantage for RC is their central location and more diverse student body. Think of Fluck and Crosby at RC. WC was competitive with LS and SJP back in the day.

yes, I think FJ or AR could be more competitive if they had an aggressive coaching staff that really recruited the players that WC used to get and now mostly go to 'Tep. Admin would need to buy in. The one advantage for RC is their central location and more diverse student body. Think of Fluck and Crosby at RC. WC was competitive with LS and SJP back in the day.
At some point in the future I wouldn't be surprised to see an evolution in the PCL as what occurred in North Jersey with the 6-7 Catholic Schools there. A lot has to happen with Administrations for sure and IF the PIAA decides to separate Public/Private it would accelerate the process IMO.

Mactatty,
Roman isn't surprising anybody anytime soon. What is surprising is that they have only 6 total Varsity coaches are you aware of that?They lost good coaches in the last few years for a reason... my prediction 1-9, they won't beat Carroll, Judge or Ryan.[/QUOT
That's a reach. I think 6A is more competitive this year. Roman will finish a spot better than last year. They'll play lasalle close again. Loss to wood and SJP before running the table. That's how Murphy will keep his job.
They should look elsewhere for coaches. Keeping the pool limited to alumni could be killing them.

Plain and simple, schools like Roman are content from an administration standpoint being over capacity in enrollment. They are in the process of building brand new academic facilities and expanding. The only fundraising that is important is to help that cause. They have zero interest into funding the entire athletic program. Football is an expense in itself because it is an expensive sport. Football is not a priority. Basketball is a priority. They will bite the bullet tuition wise for basketball because A) they've built up a reputation as a premier basketball program before tuition hikes and free agency took over high school. B) basketball only needs to help out tuition with a handful of guys to compete for a title.

For those who think the likes of Fluck or Albie will change the fortunes of a school like Roman, I'm sorry they are sadly mistaken. Tuition has reached to levels where the 1k-2k scholarship for a player doesn't even put a dent in the overall cost. Back in the day when Roman was a contender year in and year out they could help a starting 11 out with some sort of financial help. These days they are lucky to get 1 or 2 a year.

Somebody mentioned it earlier on this thread. There are "haves" and "have nots." Wood, Prep, and Lasalle are the haves. Every few years a program may get lucky and put together a great season. But to keep that stability of a good program over time is almost impossible without backing from the administration.

Plain and simple, schools like Roman are content from an administration standpoint being over capacity in enrollment. They are in the process of building brand new academic facilities and expanding. The only fundraising that is important is to help that cause. They have zero interest into funding the entire athletic program. Football is an expense in itself because it is an expensive sport. Football is not a priority. Basketball is a priority. They will bite the bullet tuition wise for basketball because A) they've built up a reputation as a premier basketball program before tuition hikes and free agency took over high school. B) basketball only needs to help out tuition with a handful of guys to compete for a title.

For those who think the likes of Fluck or Albie will change the fortunes of a school like Roman, I'm sorry they are sadly mistaken. Tuition has reached to levels where the 1k-2k scholarship for a player doesn't even put a dent in the overall cost. Back in the day when Roman was a contender year in and year out they could help a starting 11 out with some sort of financial help. These days they are lucky to get 1 or 2 a year.

Somebody mentioned it earlier on this thread. There are "haves" and "have nots." Wood, Prep, and Lasalle are the haves. Every few years a program may get lucky and put together a great season. But to keep that stability of a good program over time is almost impossible without backing from the administration.

Thanks........ I'm not sure why it comes as a surprise to some. Lasalle and Prep will remain powerhouses. Both private schools with full scholarship players.

Lasalle or Prep don't have to give full scholarships. They can get in the ball park of what a kid at Judge or Roman would normally pay. So are you gonna go to the Prep for 8k or Judge for 6k. Logical parent is sending there kid to the prep at that bargain.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
I know it would probably not be ideal, but has St. Joe's Prep and/or LaSalle entertained the idea of joining the Inter-Ac. Great sports, great academics. It seems a more natural fit than the PIAA, for a private school...no?

I know it would probably not be ideal, but has St. Joe's Prep and/or LaSalle entertained the idea of joining the Inter-Ac. Great sports, great academics. It seems a more natural fit than the PIAA, for a private school...no?
already been stated that if inter ac joins piaa prep will go idk about lasalle

No playoffs in Inter AC. No state championship trophy to chase in Inter AC. Inter AC MUST complete their season by a certain date.
If you even the playing field for Prep and LaSalle and put them in a league with other schools that have the same(LaSalle's case) or better(Prep) facilities, I believe they would lose kids.
I personally think that the chance to play in the playoffs and win a state championship brings most of the talent to the PCL powers.

No playoffs in Inter AC. No state championship trophy to chase in Inter AC. Inter AC MUST complete their season by a certain date.
If you even the playing field for Prep and LaSalle and put them in a league with other schools that have the same(LaSalle's case) or better(Prep) facilities, I believe they would lose kids.
I personally think that the chance to play in the playoffs and win a state championship brings most of the talent to the PCL powers.
I would add the ability to get national exposure to your list of reasons to attend a school like SJP. Internet aside, I feel playing a 'national' schedule gets the kids on more college coaches' radar screens. I realize that the vast majority of kids land at big time college programs without the spotlight that John Reid or D'Andre Swift had on them in HS. But it can't hurt...

I would add the ability to get national exposure to your list of reasons to attend a school like SJP. Internet aside, I feel playing a 'national' schedule gets the kids on more college coaches' radar screens. I realize that the vast majority of kids land at big time college programs without the spotlight that John Reid or D'Andre Swift had on them in HS. But it can't hurt...

I thought about that as well. I don't think its an issue with Inter Ac teams traveling though. MP traveled to Chicago to play Mt. Carmel at Soldier Field a couple of years ago.

I believe there is an age issue preventing the Inter Ac from consideration for the PIAA even if they wanted to join. This would have to be addressed as well as other things.

Reactions: Roxy427
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT