ADVERTISEMENT

100 schools to meet regarding separating from the PIAA

Melissa and board can change what ever they want at anytime.

I’m glad our elected state people who have weighed in and the piaa see the whole picture and are crumbling for some cry babies. Was surprised to see the Delco Sports reporter eat crow and report/print a few weeks back. (No wonder newspapers are going by the wayside with not telling the whole truth/fake news) The fact is we have kids moving in both public and private for football reasons which needs to be addressed at a holistic level and not from an anti religious stand point.

I’m glad our elected state people who have weighed in and the piaa see the whole picture and are crumbling for some cry babies. Was surprised to see the Delco Sports reporter eat crow and report/print a few weeks back. (No wonder newspapers are going by the wayside with not telling the whole truth/fake news) The fact is we have kids moving in both public and private for football reasons which needs to be addressed at a holistic level and not from an anti religious stand point.
I was hoping they'd let Presbyterians and Episcopalians go their own way as well.

We are missing the Muslims. Mennonites and Lutherans also. They are legit on the pitch for Football at the HS level..... Let them play!! If you are suggesting that Senate Bill 2, where the money follows the kid, then we have a divide. Separation of church and state!! It will not pass in the state of PA.

We are missing the Muslims. Mennonites and Lutherans also. They are legit on the pitch for Football at the HS level..... Let them play!! If you are suggesting that Senate Bill 2, where the money follows the kid, then we have a divide. Separation of church and state!! It will not pass in the state of PA.
Hey. - It’s America and I agree let all those groups in plus anyone I missed. Parents should be able to decide that taxes should go to school of choice! (It would clean up or obsolete a lot of these shitty public schools!). That’s another matter! The main issue is we have kids moving in and out and to and from public and private for football. This is creating an unfair advantage In high school football. It’s not a boundary or money thing it’s a parent and student thing that needs to be addressed!

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Good luck with that! But don’t totally disagree with you that things need to change moving forward. It’s a socioeconomic issue at certain schools. That won’t change anytime soon, unfortunately. I don’t know the answer....

I guess we are at the point that we award every team a "State Championship Trophy"
Yes, we're on the road to becoming NJ Sam. The wusses have already done away with trophies in some instances (my goodness, we've hurt some feelings!), then at the opposite end of the spectrum, just lining them up and passing out trophies for all. Yippee, we came in 16th!

Reactions: Soup13
No doubt there is a transfer problem and it went off course when the public’s made it a religious Jihad on the Catholic schools. One side could be worse than other but typical politics where oneside was trying to force its perceived solution through. It sure seems like everybody gets a trophy scenario. That I season transfer was pretty damn bad and glad they addressed it.

OK here is a solution have open enrollment like we do where I coach here in NC. We have an open period where kids can put in for a transfer every February. I think it would eliminate this problem to a degree. Have the public schools load up and then play If private schools dont have boarders eliminate the boarders for the public schools too.

Eliminating the boundaries would destroy the real estate market in good school districts bordering crappy districts.

It solves the problem and how many great districts are surrounded by bad ones

Isn't Ohio similar to NC with public school open boundaries?

Not really. Cleveland is an open enrollment school district, so if you live in the city you can attend any of the city schools (which is why Glenville has been such a power for so long). As for the rest of the state, schools can opt in to being open enrollment schools and accept students from outside of their district boundaries. Not every district participates, but it is an option as of last school year. It will be interesting to see how the program expands.

I think California also has true open enrollment, no?

Not really. Cleveland is an open enrollment school district, so if you live in the city you can attend any of the city schools (which is why Glenville has been such a power for so long). As for the rest of the state, schools can opt in to being open enrollment schools and accept students from outside of their district boundaries. Not every district participates, but it is an option as of last school year. It will be interesting to see how the program expands.

I think California also has true open enrollment, no?

Pennsylvania is not California.... just saying!!!

Eliminating the boundaries would destroy the real estate market in good school districts bordering crappy districts.
Sort of side with this view Flesch but....many issues more important than HS FB are decided at levels far above the PIAA that go contrary to what is good for a particular area, group, the many etc.

Here is the list of schools scheduled to be at this meeting. I only counted 4 from SEPA so this appears to be an issue that is more concentrated to be about the PCL.

Tuesday's meeting
This is the list of schools planning to attend Wednesday's meeting in State College, per Leonard Rich:

1. Altoona
  2. Bald Eagle
  3. Baldwin-Whitehall
  4. Bedford
  5. Bellefonte
  6. Bellwood Antis
  7. Berlin-Brothers Valley
  8. Berwick
  9. Blacklick Valley
  10. Blairsville-Saltsburg
  11. Burrell
  12. Cambria Heights
  13. Canon-MacMillan
  14. Canton Area
  15. Carlisle Area
  16. Central Bucks
  17. Central Cambria
  18. Central Crawford
  19. Central Dauphin
  20. Chambersburg
  21. Chestnut Ridge
  22. Clairton
  23. Claysburg-Kimmel
  24. Clearfield
  25. Colonial
  26. Columbia Borough
  27. Conemaugh Township
  28. Conemaugh Valley
  29. Conneaut
  30. Conrad Weiser
  31. Corry Area
  32. Cranberry Area
  33. Daniel Boone
  34. Derry Area
  35. Donegal
  36. Dunmore
  37. East Lycoming
  38. Ellwood City
  39. Erie City
  40. Everett Area
  41. Fairview
  42. Fannett-Metal
  43. Farrell
  44. Ferndale
  45. Forest Hills
  46. Fort LeBoeuf
  47. Fox Chapel
  48. Galeston
  49. Gateway
  50. General McLane
  51. Glendale
  52. Greater Nanticoke
  53. Grove City
  54. Hamburg Area
  55. Hampton
  56. Hanover Area
  57. Harbor Creek
  58. Harmony
  59. Hermitage
  60. Hershey
  61. Hollidaysburg
  62. Homer Center
  63. Huntington Area
  64. Iroquois
  65. Jefferson Morgan
  66. Johnsonburg
  67. Johnstown Area
  68. Lakeview
  69. Loyalsock
  70. Juniata County
  71. Kiski Area
  72. Lake-Lehmen
  73. Laurel
  74. Lehighton Area
  75. Mahanoy Area
  76. Manheim Central
  77. Marion Center
  78. Mechanicsburg
  79. Mercer
  80. Mifflin County
  81. Millcreek Township
  82. Moshannon Valley
  83. Mount Carmel
  84. New Castle
  85. Newport
  86. North Bedford
  87. North East
  88. North Pocono
  89. North Schuykill
  90. North Star
  91. Northeast Bradford
  92. Northern Cambria
  93. Northern Lehigh
  94. Northern Potter
  95. Northern York
  96. Northwestern
  97. Norwin
  98. Penn Cambria
  99. Penns Manor
  100. Penns Valley
  101. Pittsburgh Public
  102. Portage
  103. Red Lion
  104. Richland
  105. Salisbury Township
  106. Selinsgrove Area
  107. Shade-Central City
  108. Sharpsville
  109. Sharon
  110. Somerset
  111. South Eastern
  112. South Fayette
  113. South Park
  114. South Williamsport
  115. Southern Tioga
  116. Spring Cove
  117. Springfield
  118. State College Area
  119. Steelton-Highspire
  120. Titusville
  121. Turkeyfoot
  122. Twin Valley
  123. Tyrone Area
  124. United
  125. Upper Merion
  126. Valley Grove
  127. Warren County
  128. Wellsboro
  129. West Branch
  130. West Middlesex
  131. Wilmington
  132. Wilson
  133. Windber
  134. Woodland Hills
  135. Wyalussing
  136. Wyoming Valley West
  137. Wyomissing

footer-logo-penn-inc.png

Here is the list of schools scheduled to be at this meeting. I only counted 4 from SEPA so this appears to be an issue that is more concentrated to be about the PCL.

I heard blankets, baby bottles and pacifiers are to be handed out!

Tuesday's meeting
This is the list of schools planning to attend Wednesday's meeting in State College, per Leonard Rich:

1. Altoona
  2. Bald Eagle
  3. Baldwin-Whitehall
  4. Bedford
  5. Bellefonte
  6. Bellwood Antis
  7. Berlin-Brothers Valley
  8. Berwick
  9. Blacklick Valley
  10. Blairsville-Saltsburg
  11. Burrell
  12. Cambria Heights
  13. Canon-MacMillan
  14. Canton Area
  15. Carlisle Area
  16. Central Bucks
  17. Central Cambria
  18. Central Crawford
  19. Central Dauphin
  20. Chambersburg
  21. Chestnut Ridge
  22. Clairton
  23. Claysburg-Kimmel
  24. Clearfield
  25. Colonial
  26. Columbia Borough
  27. Conemaugh Township
  28. Conemaugh Valley
  29. Conneaut
  30. Conrad Weiser
  31. Corry Area
  32. Cranberry Area
  33. Daniel Boone
  34. Derry Area
  35. Donegal
  36. Dunmore
  37. East Lycoming
  38. Ellwood City
  39. Erie City
  40. Everett Area
  41. Fairview
  42. Fannett-Metal
  43. Farrell
  44. Ferndale
  45. Forest Hills
  46. Fort LeBoeuf
  47. Fox Chapel
  48. Galeston
  49. Gateway
  50. General McLane
  51. Glendale
  52. Greater Nanticoke
  53. Grove City
  54. Hamburg Area
  55. Hampton
  56. Hanover Area
  57. Harbor Creek
  58. Harmony
  59. Hermitage
  60. Hershey
  61. Hollidaysburg
  62. Homer Center
  63. Huntington Area
  64. Iroquois
  65. Jefferson Morgan
  66. Johnsonburg
  67. Johnstown Area
  68. Lakeview
  69. Loyalsock
  70. Juniata County
  71. Kiski Area
  72. Lake-Lehmen
  73. Laurel
  74. Lehighton Area
  75. Mahanoy Area
  76. Manheim Central
  77. Marion Center
  78. Mechanicsburg
  79. Mercer
  80. Mifflin County
  81. Millcreek Township
  82. Moshannon Valley
  83. Mount Carmel
  84. New Castle
  85. Newport
  86. North Bedford
  87. North East
  88. North Pocono
  89. North Schuykill
  90. North Star
  91. Northeast Bradford
  92. Northern Cambria
  93. Northern Lehigh
  94. Northern Potter
  95. Northern York
  96. Northwestern
  97. Norwin
  98. Penn Cambria
  99. Penns Manor
  100. Penns Valley
  101. Pittsburgh Public
  102. Portage
  103. Red Lion
  104. Richland
  105. Salisbury Township
  106. Selinsgrove Area
  107. Shade-Central City
  108. Sharpsville
  109. Sharon
  110. Somerset
  111. South Eastern
  112. South Fayette
  113. South Park
  114. South Williamsport
  115. Southern Tioga
  116. Spring Cove
  117. Springfield
  118. State College Area
  119. Steelton-Highspire
  120. Titusville
  121. Turkeyfoot
  122. Twin Valley
  123. Tyrone Area
  124. United
  125. Upper Merion
  126. Valley Grove
  127. Warren County
  128. Wellsboro
  129. West Branch
  130. West Middlesex
  131. Wilmington
  132. Wilson
  133. Windber
  134. Woodland Hills
  135. Wyalussing
  136. Wyoming Valley West
  137. Wyomissing

footer-logo-penn-inc.png

Good one Chesmont. As you notice, minimal D1 schools, EPC or D3 schools on that list. It’s a western PA thing... that will not go anywhere! A waste of time..

Probably not a coincidence now that PCL gets shipped out west. I suspect there might have been more from D1 had PCL stayed east.

Good one Chesmont. As you notice, minimal D1 schools, EPC or D3 schools on that list. It’s a western PA thing... that will not go anywhere! A waste of time..
I hear where the pubs are coming from but certainly not gonna win on a religious standpoint and pr
Probably not a coincidence now that PCL gets shipped out west. I suspect there might have been more from D1 had PCL stayed east.
Speed - Not sure if PCL shipped to Western bracket is a coincidence or not and my damn school district better not be wasting travel money on some summit that is just for some catty girls sewing circle club who want to talk about winners. Make no mistake PCL is not going to be discriminated on religious grounds. Pubs are going to lose and they should. Fix the whole scenario of transfers including pubs and privates!

If you are suggesting that every religious school is better than every Public School, then we have a divide that we cannot overcome. That is fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. There are extremely good Pub Schools right around BS that have 10+ more AP courses to choose from than BS (per the Archdiocese academic website). If you choose to believe BS and all Parochial schools offer a better education, that is your choice and opinion. They do provide a religious component that Pub Schools cannot. I can’t sway your opinion and that is the American way. I agree BS is a better SD than Coatesville and a few others in the Chesmont, but that is due to socioeconomic factors, out of our control. I would love to see 100+ Coatesville kids show up at BS in August. You may have a different opinion then on open borders. Even with the $ following them. But BS won’t accept those 100, they will accept a few with the academic potential OR ones that can help them athleticallly. Trust me, seen the same thing at PJP2 in Montco. Both great schools in their own right, but you can’t tell me that those schools are not “segregating” their enrollment. They have that right! The Public Schools do not! They have to accept eveyone irrespective of race, creed, religious affinity, disability, income, educational level and athletic ability. It is apples to oranges with Pub and Parochial enrollment ... nobody goes to a parochial school for vo-tech. Who is gonna educate those kids? Oh yeah, the Public Schools. Take those kids out and the ones that don’t want to go to College, and the % of kids that go to College are the same at the better Public Schools as Parochial Schools. And they go to the same colleges or Universities as those in a Parochial education. The numbers don’t lie!!, It is what it is...

Reactions: Aragorn
If you are suggesting that every religious school is better than every Public School, then we have a divide that we cannot overcome. That is fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. There are extremely good Pub Schools right around BS that have 10+ more AP courses to choose from than BS (per the Archdiocese academic website). If you choose to believe BS and all Parochial schools offer a better education, that is your choice and opinion. They do provide a religious component that Pub Schools cannot. I can’t sway your opinion and that is the American way. I agree BS is a better SD than Coatesville and a few others in the Chesmont, but that is due to socioeconomic factors, out of our control. I would love to see 100+ Coatesville kids show up at BS in August. You may have a different opinion then on open borders. Even with the $ following them. But BS won’t accept those 100, they will accept a few with the academic potential OR ones that can help them athleticallly. Trust me, seen the same thing at PJP2 in Montco. Both great schools in their own right, but you can’t tell me that those schools are not “segregating” their enrollment. They have that right! The Public Schools do not! They have to accept eveyone irrespective of race, creed, religious affinity, disability, income, educational level and athletic ability. It is apples to oranges with Pub and Parochial enrollment ... nobody goes to a parochial school for vo-tech. Who is gonna educate those kids? Oh yeah, the Public Schools. Take those kids out and the ones that don’t want to go to College, and the % of kids that go to College are the same at the better Public Schools as Parochial Schools. And they go to the same colleges or Universities as those in a Parochial education. The numbers don’t lie!!, It is what it is...
No. The point of my post is the pubs won’t have any luck trying to exclude/kick out the Catholic/Private schools because of the religious undertones.

Totally agree with that comment.. and most would not want that done! Its been fun watching 6A in football over the years.. Some issues in lower classifications in 4A and below, but in no way should the PIAA separate..

2012 Coatesville over LS
2013 SJP in a nail biter over Nesh
2014 SJP over Pennsbury?? not close..
2015 Parkland over LaSalle, Parkland over UD?
2016 SJP over NP in a great game
2017 SJP over Coatesville in a great game

All good! Hear you...

Totally agree with that comment.. and most would not want that done! Its been fun watching 6A in football over the years.. Some issues in lower classifications in 4A and below, but in no way should the PIAA separate..

2012 Coatesville over LS
2013 SJP in a nail biter over Nesh
2014 SJP over Pennsbury?? not close..
2015 Parkland over LaSalle, Parkland over UD?
2016 SJP over NP in a great game
2017 SJP over Coatesville in a great game

All good! Hear you...
Wood and Neumann Goretti won’t win forever. Heck look at Southern Columbia which no one seems to ever have an issue with. Hmm., wonder why? I’m looking forward to getting to other games besides DEast this season. Who is gonna surprise in 6A and compete w Coatesville, Garnett valley and North Penn

Neshaminy maybe?? Coatesville will be killer.... always fun to watch.. Someone will step up and be a sleeper/spoiler in D1.. Hear you on SC.. Same for the old Berwick. WWL in D3 will be good again, always are.. I would look out for Emmaus in the EPC. Skill players to contend with Coatesville at QB and 2 RB's. D1 will be interesting and may take some time to filter out the contenders... can't wait for the Fall!

Wood and Neumann Goretti won’t win forever. Heck look at Southern Columbia which no one seems to ever have an issue with. Hmm., wonder why? I’m looking forward to getting to other games besides DEast this season. Who is gonna surprise in 6A and compete w Coatesville, Garnett valley and North Penn
I believe Neuman/Gorretti wont beat West catholic this year, I could be wrong , but I think they were a one year contender. If they do get out of Philly ,So. Columbia will beat them again and this time worse than last year. Wood will again be a strong club.

Everybody gets a trophy! Singles out private but doesn’t address the transfer in public. We can all point a few out! These guys are like Penn State upset trying to challenge NCAA after Paterno and Sandusky horrible doings! Not going to win when you’re wrong.

Just for laughs, and because I have some time on my hands at work today, I went through the playoff brackets from last season in football and boys and girls basketball. Here's what I found:
Football:
6A - 2 of final 16 teams were non boundary, 1 of the final 4
5A - 1/16 and 1/4
4A - 7/16 and 4/4
3A - 3/16 and 1/4
2A - 3/16 and 0/4
1A - 2/16 and 0/4

Boys basketball:
6A - 2/16 and 1/4
5A - 3/16 and 1/4
4A - 6/16 and 2/4
3A - 7/16 and 2/4
2A - 7/16 and 2/4
1A - 9/16 and 4/4

Girls basketball:
6A - 0/16 and 0/4
5A - 3/16 and 2/4
4A - 9/16 and 4/4
3A - 6/16 and 2/4
2A - 4/16 and 1/4
1A - 5/16 and 2/4

What does all this mean? I have no damn idea, but it certainly is apparent, and probably obvious, that the small to medium size schools have a harder time working within the confines of their district borders. Especially in basketball where 1 or 2 stud players can change the game entirely. What will improve by removing the "non-boundary" schools from 5A and 6A to add the 17th and 18th best "boundary" school to the tournament? Nothing. Quite frankly, if you separate the schools and have two playoff tournaments at the same time the early rounds of both of those tournaments are going to be laughable.
I just think this is a bad idea all the way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
Just for laughs, and because I have some time on my hands at work today, I went through the playoff brackets from last season in football and boys and girls basketball. Here's what I found:
Football:
6A - 2 of final 16 teams were non boundary, 1 of the final 4
5A - 1/16 and 1/4
4A - 7/16 and 4/4
3A - 3/16 and 1/4
2A - 3/16 and 0/4
1A - 2/16 and 0/4

Appreciate the analysis. One thing this doesn't cover is the number of non-boundary schools in each classification and how bracket mechanics dictate where they fall in the state tournament. For instance, in 6A the ONLY non-boundary schools are the four PCL schools and Pittsburgh Central Catholic. The PCL will always have one of the final 16 teams because that is where their champion advances. If PCC makes the WPIAL final, they are also in the final 16. It is the max that 2 of the 16 teams in 6A can be non-boundary.

In 5A, the ONLY non-boundary schools are the PCL schools. So, while the numbers look like "only" 1 out of 16 and 1 out of 4 teams are non-boundary, that is the maximum that can happen in the classification. And that team has won every playoff game it's played in both years of the 5A classification by lopsided margins.

4A is where there are the most non-boundary schools. By my count there are 10, coming from D3, D11, D10, and D12. By bracketing, it is possible to have 8 of the 16 teams be non-boundary in that round. It wasn't this year because Allentown Central Catholic and Bethlehem Catholic played in the round of 32 rather than the round of 16 based on bracketing. In this classification, the non-boundary schools were ONLY knocked out by each other, there was not a playoff win by a boundary school over a non-boundary in the 4A playoff statewide.

3A it is possible to have 5 of the 16 first round spots occupied by non-boundary schools. The two that did not make it were Mercyhurst Prep in D10 and Notre Dame in D11. They are each the only nonboundary schools in their district. Middletown was the nonboundary killer here, knocking out Conwell-Egan and Scranton Prep on their way to the state final.

2A can have up to 6 teams in the round of 16, but that would require all 3 WPIAL non-boundary schools to not hit before the WPIAL semifinals. In this classification, only Neumann-Gorretti won for the non-boundary schools against a boundary school in the state tournament.

1A it looks like there are possibly 7 non-boundary schools that can be represented in the round of 16, assuming all four of the WPIAL non-boundaries do not hit in earlier rounds of the playoffs and the two D6 non-boundaries don't either.

By that math, here is the breakdown of boundary schools in the round of 16 and the final 4 given the possible slots due to league and bracketing.
6A: 2/2, 1/2
5A: 1/1, 1/1
4A: 7/8, 4/4
3A: 3/5, 1/3
2A: 3/6, 0/3
1A - 2/7, 0/3

Yea, I guess we should just believe that for such a rural area that all these very good football players are born within the So. Columbia school district and nowhere else in those parts. Yawn.

Poor little boundary schools upset because they only win 67% of championships across all sports.

And what’s the deal with this new competition rule only being for the sports of football and boys/girls basketball? The only sports anyone cares about? The sports where D12 rules supreme? Clear indictment on D12 here. Hey, I’m ok with setting up some rules, but it should be for every sport not just a select few.

Poor little boundary schools upset because they only win 67% of championships across all sports.

And what’s the deal with this new competition rule only being for the sports of football and boys/girls basketball? The only sports anyone cares about? The sports where D12 rules supreme? Clear indictment on D12 here. Hey, I’m ok with setting up some rules, but it should be for every sport not just a select few.
Give me my firetruck and blankey and I’m going home to tell my Mom! Waaahhhh. . Totally biased against D12 from a D1 fan!

Huck-

Have you ever been to the area within the SD of So. Columbia? Not exactly Warminster or Bucks County!!. While I don’t disagree that parents may choose to move there for football if you live close to the SD, the family has to move within that school district to be eligible. The biggest draw close to there may be Knoebels. Maybe a local Sheetz? I am not being dismissive, but just being real. The model would not work in SE PA. But it works there....

D1,

Hey, there is no doubt that SoCo has and has had a very good program. A lot of that accomplished through hard work, culture, and tradition they have developed over time. I’m just saying that the chances they aren’t bending the rules at least a little bit up there. Do people just move into the district for a better football experience? Or, are they approached and recruited to do it? How much redshirting goes on there? There current QB is a transfer, right? On the surface I don’t have a huge problem with any of this. I just don’t like that D12 schools, for the most part, get all of the scrutiny.

D1,

Hey, there is no doubt that SoCo has and has had a very good program. A lot of that accomplished through hard work, culture, and tradition they have developed over time. I’m just saying that the chances they aren’t bending the rules at least a little bit up there. Do people just move into the district for a better football experience? Or, are they approached and recruited to do it? How much redshirting goes on there? There current QB is a transfer, right? On the surface I don’t have a huge problem with any of this. I just don’t like that D12 schools, for the most part, get all of the scrutiny.
Nice thought but let’s be realistic the pubs won’t be satisfied until they crucify the Catholic schools. It’s ok to move in pubs but any move private/Catholic is an issue.

Reactions: 6-2 Stack Monster
Cmon Chesmont.. I agree kids move both ways.. always have. I was just pointing out that to move to So Columbia is a lot different than transferring to Wood or to move to Lansdale (NP) in that geography. That’s all I was saying.. clearly kids transfer to So Columbia. No question. Kids also transfer to N Penn, Neshaminy and others in D1 in Pub. Philly Pub is open enrollment so you can go anywhere within the city confines. I was trying to be funny with the Sheetz comment.... guess it didn’t work. Oh well!!

Reactions: Soup13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT