ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Semifinals

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Well, out west things are heating up with the consensus top 4 teams making the semi finals.

One semi will match #1 seed Woodland Hills vs. #5 Pittsburgh Central Catholic. Of any school in the WPIAL that can match PCC's size and athletes its Woody high. They have the 2 D1 RB's, plus a load of kids in the 275-325 range up front that can play. The keys to this game are can Woody's offense open enough enough holes to free Sanders and Shaw 3 or 4 times (because they don't have an effective passing game), and can Woody's defense do a decent job in pass defense. PCC's passing game isn't spectacular, but it is solid and much improved from years past. And they have athletes everywhere.

On the defensive side of the ball, PCC has been playing Hamlin, Garner, Jones, and one other DB, along with a single LB - Adams, and 5 defensive linemen - average weight 305 (Thorpe, Hinish, Green, Wheeler and Stevens (who is ENORMOUS - 380+). 6 man box and man to man everywhere. Can they do this against Woody's athletes? It will be a test, but they certainly have the manpower.

For Woody, I think they will be able to slow down the run. PCC's interior 3 lineman are the weak link of the team, but the line is anchored by Thorpe and Hinish, who are both studs at tackle. I would expect Woody to bring pressure to both stop the run and flush the QB. It will be interesting to see if PCC continues to spread the field like they did last week, or they go back to their old 2 backs sets like they used a few weeks before. I think Woody would be wise to spread the field and work for matchups on the perimeter of Sanders or Shaw vs. Adams. Adams will plug every gap in the middle, but can't keep up with the elite speed of those two - particularly Sanders.

Prediction: PCC 28 Woody 27

The other semifinal matches #2 seed Penn-Trafford vs. #3 see Pine-Richland. I look for this to be a high scoring affair with PT led by a trio of senior skill players - QB Laffoon, RB Jonah Lisbon, and WR Tim Vecchio. PR will rely on sophomore QB Phil Jurkovec and a pool of other skill players.

For Penn-Trafford, the key will be can they contain Jurkovec and the offense with their 3 man front in both the pass and run game. If so, it could be a long night for the Rams as PT routinely drops 8 into coverage. If PT has to commit more people to the run game, watch out. PR could roll up 40 or 50 points in a flash. (They scored 42 in the first half against Lebo - a 9-1 team with a single loss by 4 to Woody.) On offense, PT will look to use their size advantage to run the ball out of spread sets, and get Vecchio the ball in space, where he is deadly.

For Pine Richland, the story recently has been their defense, who beginning with the second half of the PCC game have been spectacular, with starters allowing only 21 points over 14 quarters. Against Penn Hills and Lebo - two spread teams - they dominated both the line of scrimmage and secondary. The look to have found their grove, with a few position changes, and very few people playing both ways - 1 lineman and 2 DB's I think. On offense, Coach Kasperowicz and his staff have probably built the most high powered offense in the state - think Baylor or TCU in terms of ability to score. Everything goes through Jurkovec, who has shown poise beyond his years. The keys will be to avoid turnovers and establish a tempo game early, as PT plays 9 kids both ways. Also worth noting that PR is playing two offensive tackles who have now started in 28 straight games - huge experience factor that I think goes in PR's favor too.

Prediction: Pine-Richland 48 Penn Trafford 35

Note: For those of you out east that have Dish or DirecTV, the game will be carried on tape delay on Root Sports Pittsburgh at 10:00 on Friday night.

Reactions: lilromeo and pcc64
Well, out west things are heating up with the consensus top 4 teams making the semi finals.

One semi will match #1 seed Woodland Hills vs. #5 Pittsburgh Central Catholic. Of any school in the WPIAL that can match PCC's size and athletes its Woody high. They have the 2 D1 RB's, plus a load of kids in the 275-325 range up front that can play. The keys to this game are can Woody's offense open enough enough holes to free Sanders and Shaw 3 or 4 times (because they don't have an effective passing game), and can Woody's defense do a decent job in pass defense. PCC's passing game isn't spectacular, but it is solid and much improved from years past. And they have athletes everywhere.

On the defensive side of the ball, PCC has been playing Hamlin, Garner, Jones, and one other DB, along with a single LB - Adams, and 5 defensive linemen - average weight 305 (Thorpe, Hinish, Green, Wheeler and Stevens (who is ENORMOUS - 380+). 6 man box and man to man everywhere. Can they do this against Woody's athletes? It will be a test, but they certainly have the manpower.

For Woody, I think they will be able to slow down the run. PCC's interior 3 lineman are the weak link of the team, but the line is anchored by Thorpe and Hinish, who are both studs at tackle. I would expect Woody to bring pressure to both stop the run and flush the QB. It will be interesting to see if PCC continues to spread the field like they did last week, or they go back to their old 2 backs sets like they used a few weeks before. I think Woody would be wise to spread the field and work for matchups on the perimeter of Sanders or Shaw vs. Adams. Adams will plug every gap in the middle, but can't keep up with the elite speed of those two - particularly Sanders.

Prediction: PCC 28 Woody 27

The other semifinal matches #2 seed Penn-Trafford vs. #3 see Pine-Richland. I look for this to be a high scoring affair with PT led by a trio of senior skill players - QB Laffoon, RB Jonah Lisbon, and WR Tim Vecchio. PR will rely on sophomore QB Phil Jurkovec and a pool of other skill players.

For Penn-Trafford, the key will be can they contain Jurkovec and the offense with their 3 man front in both the pass and run game. If so, it could be a long night for the Rams as PT routinely drops 8 into coverage. If PT has to commit more people to the run game, watch out. PR could roll up 40 or 50 points in a flash. (They scored 42 in the first half against Lebo - a 9-1 team with a single loss by 4 to Woody.) On offense, PT will look to use their size advantage to run the ball out of spread sets, and get Vecchio the ball in space, where he is deadly.

For Pine Richland, the story recently has been their defense, who beginning with the second half of the PCC game have been spectacular, with starters allowing only 21 points over 14 quarters. Against Penn Hills and Lebo - two spread teams - they dominated both the line of scrimmage and secondary. The look to have found their grove, with a few position changes, and very few people playing both ways - 1 lineman and 2 DB's I think. On offense, Coach Kasperowicz and his staff have probably built the most high powered offense in the state - think Baylor or TCU in terms of ability to score. Everything goes through Jurkovec, who has shown poise beyond his years. The keys will be to avoid turnovers and establish a tempo game early, as PT plays 9 kids both ways. Also worth noting that PR is playing two offensive tackles who have now started in 28 straight games - huge experience factor that I think goes in PR's favor too.

Prediction: Pine-Richland 48 Penn Trafford 35

Note: For those of you out east that have Dish or DirecTV, the game will be carried on tape delay on Root Sports Pittsburgh at 10:00 on Friday night.
Excellent review and I agree with your predictions. I too have it pcc and PR in the finals and I think pcc wins at heins. As far as the pcc and woody high game this friday there wont be any game in the state played this year with that much d1 talent on one field. Between bothe teams there will b at least 16 d1 athletes. Really looking fwd to that one. I also believe the winner of that game takes gold at states.

...I also believe the winner of that game takes gold at states.

I too think the WPIAL winner will win states this year. These teams are loaded. Right now, I think PCC has the upper hand to win it all.

Couple questions

Does PCC lose some of their advantage on defense (the incredible seconsary) because Woodland Hills won't throw it much? How good are Hamlin, Griner and company in run support?

I don't know a ton about Woodland Hills defensively, how's their scheme/personnel in attacking the PCC running game?

Do you think Penn-Trafford can get pressure on Jurkovec with just four? And in doing so, can their ends keep contain so he doesn't kill them with scrambles?

Is Battaglia playing for Pine-Richland? I know he was hurt, not sure of his status. Without him at safety, how well can they defend Laffoon and the passing game. His accuracy numbers jump off the page, is that a function of him being that good, or is he playing pitch and catch with wide open receivers.

Should be a fun weekend for you guys out there. I think any of these four teams could win the whole thing, that kind of depth is fun.

From what I saw versus PR, PCC secondary is pretty physical and can tackle. They aren't just cover kids. And with Jones playing for Swann, I think they got every more physical. You have to spread them out so they can't all get to the ball on every play I think.

If I had to guess, PCC will keep 7 in the box and play some form of man to man. If they do that, my gut say they will be able to handle PCC's run game. Woody's interior 3 lineman are big 280-320 and athletic. Wilford Clark (big athletic NG) needs to have a big game.

Penn Trafford is a 3 man front. If they do that, they won't get pressure on Jurkovec at all. Just won't happen. I think they need to bring at least 4 and probably 5 to get pressure. But that's not their MO. My guess is that they will do what they do and try and slow PR down. Their main goal should be not to give up the 1 or 2 play TD drive. With their base defense, they can do that. The question will be can the secondary tackle the PR kids in space and keep the gains to 10 yards, not 25.

Battaglia did not play last week but I saw him dressed and warming up and jumping and running on the sidelines. I don't know, but he sure looked good to me. I am going to guess they held him out for this week - particularly after the start PR got vs. Lebo.

The key to defending PT's passing game will be pressure by PR's front 4. Their DT's are solid, but their DE's are crazy athletic. Both former QB's that bulked up and now play DE. If they pressure Laffoon with just those 4, they will be in good shape. That is particularly true since it seems like PR plays alot of man on the outside and PT takes alot of shots to Vecchio. If Laffoon has time to get the ball to Vecchio, they will make some plays.

Excellent review and I agree with your predictions. I too have it pcc and PR in the finals and I think pcc wins at heins. As far as the pcc and woody high game this friday there wont be any game in the state played this year with that much d1 talent on one field. Between bothe teams there will b at least 16 d1 athletes. Really looking fwd to that one. I also believe the winner of that game takes gold at states.
Coach K. is a difference maker. he proved that throughout the last 2 years and I wouldnt discount Pine-Richland again this year. Their Soph. QB is a star already. Glad we get the opportunity to see some of these games streamed. Too bad one of these two wont be available for us in the Philly area.

Coach K. is a difference maker. he proved that throughout the last 2 years and I wouldnt discount Pine-Richland again this year. Their Soph. QB is a star already. Glad we get the opportunity to see some of these games streamed. Too bad one of these two wont be available for us in the Philly area. I
Coach K. is a difference maker. he proved that throughout the last 2 years and I wouldnt discount Pine-Richland again this year. Their Soph. QB is a star already. Glad we get the opportunity to see some of these games streamed. Too bad one of these two wont be available for us in the Philly area.
I agree he is a diffence maker and in my opinion one of the best coaches in the state. He has a state championship himself with north hills and was a parade all Americans. He's really turned that program around. It helps when you get two of the best qb in the state and with Jurkovec I think by his senior year one of the top ten players in the country. Hes a couple stud but I just believe central catholic will be to much for him this year.

From what I saw versus PR, PCC secondary is pretty physical and can tackle. They aren't just cover kids. And with Jones playing for Swann, I think they got every more physical. You have to spread them out so they can't all get to the ball on every play I think.

If I had to guess, PCC will keep 7 in the box and play some form of man to man. If they do that, my gut say they will be able to handle PCC's run game. Woody's interior 3 lineman are big 280-320 and athletic. Wilford Clark (big athletic NG) needs to have a big game.

Penn Trafford is a 3 man front. If they do that, they won't get pressure on Jurkovec at all. Just won't happen. I think they need to bring at least 4 and probably 5 to get pressure. But that's not their MO. My guess is that they will do what they do and try and slow PR down. Their main goal should be not to give up the 1 or 2 play TD drive. With their base defense, they can do that. The question will be can the secondary tackle the PR kids in space and keep the gains to 10 yards, not 25.

Battaglia did not play last week but I saw him dressed and warming up and jumping and running on the sidelines. I don't know, but he sure looked good to me. I am going to guess they held him out for this week - particularly after the start PR got vs. Lebo.

The key to defending PT's passing game will be pressure by PR's front 4. Their DT's are solid, but their DE's are crazy athletic. Both former QB's that bulked up and now play DE. If they pressure Laffoon with just those 4, they will be in good shape. That is particularly true since it seems like PR plays alot of man on the outside and PT takes alot of shots to Vecchio. If Laffoon has time to get the ball to Vecchio, they will make some plays.

Neighboring school districts of Jeanette and Penn Trafford heading to Heinz, as are neighboring Clairton and Thomas Jefferson.

I got a hard time believing PCC will beat St Joe's Prep.
They'll beat them. I think penntraford will be a harder match up then sjp. Pcc would have to of beat north Allegheny, woodland hills, penntraford, and probably central dauphin all right in a row. Hands down the hardest stretch to get to states then any other team in the state and that includes all classifications. That's a murders row of teams.

They will have State College/McDowell before C. Dauphin.

St Joes is extremely talented. I honestly am not impressed with the WPIAL AAAA teams. I think SJP will beat PCC pretty easily.

Reactions: pcc64
They will have State College/McDowell before C. Dauphin.

St Joes is extremely talented. I honestly am not impressed with the WPIAL AAAA teams. I think SJP will beat PCC pretty easily.
You don't know much about high school football or football in general if your not impressed with the wpial. They are stacked this year.

You don't know much about high school football or football in general if your not impressed with the wpial. They are stacked this year.
I agree based on watching the PTvs.McKeesport game and Woodland Hills vs PCC [most of it]. The WPIAL had tremendous teams at the top of the AAAA class. If it comes down to PCC vs. ST. Joe Prep you will probably have a classic final. Since Im a D-12 guy I will be hoping for a Prep win , but contrary to Nate I know it will be a real tough game for both sides. Cant wait!!!!!!

I agree based on watching the PTvs.McKeesport game and Woodland Hills vs PCC [most of it]. The WPIAL had tremendous teams at the top of the AAAA class. If it comes down to PCC vs. ST. Joe Prep you will probably have a classic final. Since Im a D-12 guy I will be hoping for a Prep win , but contrary to Nate I know it will be a real tough game for both sides. Cant wait!!!!!!
preps a good team and swifts a dynamic player. I just think pcc has way to much size and talent for them. On the defensive side of the ball they have 8 d1 players alone. I do agree with you that it will be a classic.

PennstateNate, I don't know if my Central Catholic will beat SJP but to say you're not impressed is beyond absurdity. Just the fact that they are able to march out confirmed 8-10 major d1players with offers on the defensive side of the ball is quite impressive in my mind. No matter how you slice and dice it. And then you have the terrific high power offenses of penn trafford and pine Richland . These teams are very difficult to beat.,

PennstateNate, I don't know if my Central Catholic will beat SJP but to say you're not impressed is beyond absurdity. Just the fact that they are able to march out confirmed 8-10 major d1players with offers on the defensive side of the ball is quite impressive in my mind. No matter how you slice and dice it. And then you have the terrific high power offenses of penn trafford and pine Richland . These teams are very difficult to beat.,

I don't know what having D1 prospects matters? Clairton has a bunch and Guilfoyle beat them last year.

I said they would whip PCC as the Wpial blows. I still stand by it, remember the beating they gave Pine Richland last year?

LaSalle would beat Pittsburgh by double digits.
They won 48-41 far from a blow out. They aren't winning it this year lol. Have fun following your team from the sidelines. Good call there

I don't know what having D1 prospects matters? Clairton has a bunch and Guilfoyle beat them last year.
You are brilliant. Clairton had four straight state championships and the longest winning streak in Pennsylvania history. Great example there. You obviously don't know a thing about football.

You are brilliant. Clairton had four straight state championships and the longest winning streak in Pennsylvania history. Great example there. You obviously don't know a thing about football.

A bragging up a Pittsburgh school which is overrated yearly means you do.

You get hazed there?

Ignore it

A bragging up a Pittsburgh school which is overrated yearly means you do.

You get hazed there?
Hahaha that's your argument. Good one. You're showing your intelligence and knowledge of football. I don't have to make you look stupid. You're doing a great job of that on your own.

I think SJP would be -3 while LaSalle would be +7 in a PCC match up. You obviously are a biased close minded PCL guy to the extreme. But PCC has a tough out next week against Penn Trafford so nothing is a given.

I have not seen any of the East teams play in person, but I have seen Penn-Trafford and PCC live. Penn-Trafford's offense dismantled PR defense - they didn't stop them once! Zero times. They will score.

PCC's defense is by far the best defense I've seen in the past 4 or 5 years. Huge up front and big and fast at the skill positions.

If I were a betting man now, I would put PCC as a 7 pt favorite in the WPIAL final. If they can get their offense going. (poor showing from what I read vs. Woody), that number goes up. I think the magic number for PCC is 21 - PT will put that many up - extremely well coach and play hard.

Either PT or PCC will match up favorably with McDowell/SC (home game for D7 this year), and then will have to play very well vs. the D3 winner. But I still like the WPIAL in that matchup. If PCC makes it, they will have beaten PR, NA, Woody, and PT to get there. Those are state top 10-12 teams. If PT makes it, they will have beaten, McKeesport, PR, PCC - again, a tough stretch.

And then, anything can happen in the finals.

I posted the following in another forum - will share here too:

After watching the game live, and again on TV this afternoon, my main concern comes down to PR's defense. They played pretty bad. I think perhaps the worst I've ever saw them play under Coach K - including the 49 pts last year in the state championship game. Couldn't tackle in space or get off the field at all. I understand that PT offense is very good, but I don't think they forced one punt and only stopped PT when PT turned the ball over. Man, its tough to win even if your offense played perfectly - which they didn't either - stopped on the 2 and again on the first drive of the second half.

Well, give credit to PT for executing, but after the last couple games, I was expecting more.

The good news is that they have Jurkovec around for a couple more years and he's already a complete stud. Hopefully, Coach K can shore up the defense this off season and keep the offense rolling.

I should have told the guys two weeks ago at Landis for Carlisle that some of you guys think Central Dauphin should just pack it in now! Ha. Hey new2pa, PCC, House, Wpial, romeo, etc, etc....what's up? Good write-ups and insights by the way.

If CD gets through districts that mimic the WPIAL playing teams from same conference involving rematches and rivalries that make it hard to repeat regular season performance (CD-East, Cumberland Valley, Carlisle, CD, Lower Dauphin) then LL quality (Wilson, Hempfield, Manheim), they'll be as battle tested as anything from the West in my view. I hope they do so you guys can see the D-Front I've been talking-writing about since preseason. You'll be impressed.
But who knows what's going to happen in those scenarios that are unpredictable. Many expected (presumed) St. Joe's to beat LS today (fierce rivalry) and same for PR yesterday with PT.
Anyway about CD, I'm slowly changing my mind on their offense noticing that AJ Millar who is a cool customer and excellent runner, has his best games against the best teams. The strength of their passing is that simple.

Here's how he shakes out cobbling stats from various online sites against quality teams played including Manheim 9-2, 4 seed, Wilson 10-2, 1 seed, State 8-3,1seed D-6/8/9/10, Cumberland Valley 9-2, 6 seed, CD East 7-4, 10 seed (beat Wilson), Lower Dauphin 9-3, 8 seed and Susquehanna Twp, 8-3, AAA-7 seed.
Against the above he completed 48/78 for 578 yards, 63%, Td-Int 1-1
Against the rest.....he completed 28/27 for 456 yards, 49%, TD-Int 5-3
More on that later as things progress. CD 's got Black Knights first then a fellow Mid Penn Commonwealth opponent either way since Cumberland Valley and CD East are both in the MP-C with CD. Handled Eastie boys 34-7 but CV gave them their only loss, 24-21.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT