ADVERTISEMENT

wood schedule

There is really no good reason for Wood and SJ Prep not to be playing. For starters, they are from the same league. Secondly, they have six and five weeks of N-L opportunities at their disposal. The PCL should be helping each other playing crossover games that make sense. Umm, this game makes sense.

With lasalle predicted to be down this year, are there any close games on that schedule , with at least 7 mercy rules ?

With lasalle predicted to be down this year, are there any close games on that schedule , with at least 7 mercy rules ?

LaSalle should still be pretty good. Also, Wood might be down. Yes, they'll be good, but probably down compared to last year. Seven mercy rules might be possible, but I'll take the under. The Allentown team was (9-2) last year, so maybe they are good. Gratz could be best 4A Pub team. PC was solid last year, but they haven't played anything close to a Wood. They didn't mercy rule WC last year and I think West can field a better team this season. Ryan is good in trenches and threshold throw up some resistance. Not Sure if BP will have enough.

With that said, it's reasonable to suggest that they have a tougher slate considering how good they've been. Not always easy to fulfill, but phone calls to SJP, Roman, and possibly a suburban biggie should have been put on. I'm pretty sure North Penn dropped them. Also, Dematha was only a 1-yr deal.

I know Roman would have played Wood.
Roman has reached out multiple times in the past.

LaSalle should still be pretty good. Also, Wood might be down. Yes, they'll be good, but probably down compared to last year. Seven mercy rules might be possible, but I'll take the under. The Allentown team was (9-2) last year, so maybe they are good. Gratz could be best 4A Pub team. PC was solid last year, but they haven't played anything close to a Wood. They didn't mercy rule WC last year and I think West can field a better team this season. Ryan is good in trenches and threshold throw up some resistance. Not Sure if BP will have enough.

With that said, it's reasonable to suggest that they have a tougher slate considering how good they've been. Not always easy to fulfill, but phone calls to SJP, Roman, and possibly a suburban biggie should have been put on. I'm pretty sure North Penn dropped them. Also, Dematha was only a 1-yr deal.
Good point on Allentown, Huck. They have gotten a lot better. They have an excellent Pop Warner feeder program that does a great job of coaching the kids. And they might have an NFL player next year if Ross Scheuerman sticks as a RB or slot receiveer with the Steelers after having a great career at Lafayette, rushing for over 1,100 in each of his last two years and catching over 50 passes in 2014.

I've been a fan of Wood for last few years and I just don't get this weak non league schedule. To go from Dematha and North penn to Gratz, Prep Charter and Allentown (who ever heard of them). Two Public school teams. What do u accomplish by not testing the team early ?? Wont be attending any of those games.

Too bad Wood couldn't connect with MIAA schools Gilman or McDonogh who go anywhere for a game. McDonogh plays LaSalle and has scheduled Inter-Ac teams as well. Also played SJ Regional and Elder last year. Gilman played St. Edward and Paramus Catholic....and Cathedral Prep will play anyone, anywhere. Going to the panhandle to play Wakulla-FL this year!

DeMatha picked up American Heritage-FL (5A champ) this year in place of Wood. Nice. And I think McDevitt could be talked out of 1A Steelton Highspire (56-0), a game that makes no sense and 3A East Pennsboro (41-7) in another wasted game. Don't imagine they'll give up local bad ass Cumberland Valley or State High.

Reactions: pcc64
Piaa needs to step in and make all teams not just wood play non league games with another district.everyone is so worried about that loss when it comes to a state title well too bad just play out of district and get it over with

Too bad Wood couldn't connect with MIAA schools Gilman or McDonogh who go anywhere for a game. McDonogh plays LaSalle and has scheduled Inter-Ac teams as well. Also played SJ Regional and Elder last year. Gilman played St. Edward and Paramus Catholic....and Cathedral Prep will play anyone, anywhere. Going to the panhandle to play Wakulla-FL this year!

DeMatha picked up American Heritage-FL (5A champ) this year in place of Wood. Nice. And I think McDevitt could be talked out of 1A Steelton Highspire (56-0), a game that makes no sense and 3A East Pennsboro (41-7) in another wasted game. Don't imagine they'll give up local bad ass Cumberland Valley or State High.
Stalker,I like your proposals,but I think Woods non league schedule this year was done on purpose ,and not because they couldn't get games with some of the national big time teams. They knew they were not going to be as strong as they were in the past so they scheduled accordingly. That is my opinion and not fact. DeMatha is going to be a real powerhouse this year and LaSalle will have to be at 100% just to be competitive with them.

Well, that's great scheduling lilromeo. And who knows what's going on in the background so I can't blast them for their schedule. As much as anything, it's a memorable experience for the guys getting out, traveling....like Cathedral Prep to Wakulla or Upper Dublin last year and others. Prep really goes anythere don't they; Canada, Ohio, NY state powers, for the most part playing legit teams. What a selling point. Who needs to recruit with a schedule like that!

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Well, that's great scheduling lilromeo. And who knows what's going on in the background so I can't blast them for their schedule. As much as anything, it's a memorable experience for the guys getting out, traveling....like Cathedral Prep to Wakulla or Upper Dublin last year and others. Prep really goes anythere don't they; Canada, Ohio, NY state powers, for the most part playing legit teams. What a selling point. Who needs to recruit with a schedule like that!
Stalker, I believe the Prep will again have a solid team with Swift leading the way. I am looking forward to their games at home with saint Ignatius and Saint Josephs montvale

I was talking Western football's great Prep team, Cathedral, not SJP when mentioning schedule above. But yeah, St. Joe's has played a tough slate for years with credit going to Coach Gil Brooks who initiated that some years ago. To his credit, Coach Infante has kept that going.

Hawks are always going to be a load with the talent in this part of the country but I think Parkland who may be the best team in the state could edge them out this year with Coatesville having something to say about that. D3 and 7 are a mix of real strong teams with State High hiding in the weeds.

I've been a fan of Wood for last few years and I just don't get this weak non league schedule. To go from Dematha and North penn to Gratz, Prep Charter and Allentown (who ever heard of them). Two Public school teams. What do u accomplish by not testing the team early ?? Wont be attending any of those games.
Be careful ramgreen, Allentown would have beaten Pennridge last year.

I heard from a PCC source that they expect St Joe's to be the team to beat in the east.
I would expect the reigning champs to be the favorite ,but many HS football followers are projecting Parkland to be the East champ.I know Parkland returns many starters and the Prep lost a lot,but have all world D Andre Swift around for the next two years. PCC is loaded even more so than usual so I would guess they are the favorites in the West. D-7 has at least 4-5 legitimate challengers along with State College. This should be another super year of HS football in Pa.

The biggest advantage Parkland has on SJP is they have an established quarterback. Devante Cross has been the starter since his sophomore season, and has the tools to put together a huge year. He’s a tremendous athlete (Division I scholarship offers in both basketball and football) and is working with a QB guru in Jim Terwilliger. He also has a monster option at receiver in Kenny Yeboah and brings back most of a huge offensive line. Prep definitely has bigger talents on offense (Swift obviously, and Darryl Simmons had D1 offers while in 8th grade) but we’ll see how they develop a trigger man and o-line talent with Runyan, Davis, and Mooney all gone. Part of what really helped Clements develop last year was he had 10 seconds to throw.

Parkland has pretty big question marks on defense, with only three guys coming back, and only Noel Brouse being a real impact guy. Cross might be their best defensive back, but I doubt he goes both ways due to how important he is at QB. Prep lost some big time guys, but brings back a ton of defenders from last year. Parkland usually reloads on that side of the ball, and has an elite DC in Tim Moncman, but there’s real work to do defensively. I don’t know their program to know what kind of talent they have coming up, but due to demographics and numbers I’d think they’d have some talent to slot in.

The biggest advantage Parkland has on SJP is they have an established quarterback. Devante Cross has been the starter since his sophomore season, and has the tools to put together a huge year. He’s a tremendous athlete (Division I scholarship offers in both basketball and football) and is working with a QB guru in Jim Terwilliger. He also has a monster option at receiver in Kenny Yeboah and brings back most of a huge offensive line. Prep definitely has bigger talents on offense (Swift obviously, and Darryl Simmons had D1 offers while in 8th grade) but we’ll see how they develop a trigger man and o-line talent with Runyan, Davis, and Mooney all gone. Part of what really helped Clements develop last year was he had 10 seconds to throw.

Parkland has pretty big question marks on defense, with only three guys coming back, and only Noel Brouse being a real impact guy. Cross might be their best defensive back, but I doubt he goes both ways due to how important he is at QB. Prep lost some big time guys, but brings back a ton of defenders from last year. Parkland usually reloads on that side of the ball, and has an elite DC in Tim Moncman, but there’s real work to do defensively. I don’t know their program to know what kind of talent they have coming up, but due to demographics and numbers I’d think they’d have some talent to slot in.
How will Easton be this year?

Mooney is still at SJP. He graduates next year.

How will Easton be this year?

Very green, last season was really the year to make a run. Offensively they only bring back their quarterback and two linemen. The QB had an up and down junior year. There's some ability there, but he'll need to put the offense on his back until other weapons emerge. They lose all of their size up front, and will be back to a group of 200-220 lb offensive linemen.

Defensively they'll be interesting. Have a bunch of experienced d-linemen returning, plus their leading tackler at linebacker and two guys in the secondary. Could have two real stars in David Simmons , a 6'3 225 pound end who had. 7 sacks last year despite missing 5 games with an ankle injury, and Katrell Thompson, who earned a starting spot at corner down the stretch as a sophomore and completely shut down Yeboah in the D11 title game. I've heard Thompson may be the running back too and the staff is really high on him there.

They'll be competitive because they're always competitive, but I don't have sky high expectations. Maybe a 7-3 or 8-2 season and see where they are come playoff time?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT