ADVERTISEMENT

Wood QB Russo Commits

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuvalo

Aug 29, 2008
Wood QB Anthony Russo has committed to Rutgers. Congratulations to a hard working player.

Did he not play baseball this year?

No, he gave up baseball.

I don't know this kid's interest level in that sport, but I thought that I read before that he was pretty good. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of dropping sports in HS to concentrate on just one. To each is own, but I think you sell yourself short with your HS experiences. You don't get these years back.

Blame the coaches why kids dropped sports they put crap into there heads everyday that there gonna lose there position if they don't do just one sport.

Blame the coaches why kids dropped sports they put crap into there heads everyday that there gonna lose there position if they don't do just one sport.
He did not want to injure his arm throwing a baseball and jeopardize his chance at a football scholarship at the QB position, simple! It wasn't a coach, it wasn't that he didn't like baseball, he simply made a mature decision about his future and for that I applaud him for his maturity.

He did not want to injure his arm throwing a baseball and jeopardize his chance at a football scholarship at the QB position, simple! It wasn't a coach, it wasn't that he didn't like baseball, he simply made a mature decision about his future and for that I applaud him for his maturity.
Obviously it was his decision to leave the baseball team mid season,but I hope it doesn't affect the teams chances for a PCl title run.

Reactions: L32
I wonder why he rushed to sign
Explain "Rushed to Sign" please. He's been to Rutgers over a dozen times? That doesn't count the conversations. He has a comfort level that can't be matched with the program and the coach, easy for the Fam to see him play....What you'll never understand is the Maturity of this young man and how he conducts himself. Not to mention his focus is now on his senior year with ZERO distractions and unlike some players........hoping for a school to offer. He is DONE!

I think rushing to sign is a good move for Russo Especially, If he is comfortable with Rutgers. Its so many variables that could happen during the season.

just read an interesting article on Ohio St. recruiting and they only have 8 scholarship athletes who played only football in high schhol.. The rest played at least 2 sports or more and Meyer went out of his way to encourgage this line of thining.

I think rushing to sign is a good move for Russo Especially, If he is comfortable with Rutgers. Its so many variables that could happen during the season.

Fair point. But keep in mind nothing is official until the dotted line is signed. Both player and program can have a change of heart. I think I remember something similar happening to Chris Whitney from SJP.

If the kid and his family are happy who cares? We're talking about 15,16,17,18 year old KIDS here. Half of us couldn't fathom making such a life-changing decision at that age and doing it in a mature manner. Congratulations and best of luck hopefully he does well and gets his degree.

Bucks County quarterbacks have long been criticized on this site. The Class of 2016 now has a Big Ten (Anthony Russo - Wood - Rutgers) and an SEC (Brandon McIlwain - CR North - South Carolina) recruit.

Pretty impressive.

Just out of curiosity (please don't turn this into a recruiting debate) where does Russo live? Just wondering what would be his home district. That's all.

Russo has been very impressive so far at the Elite 11. I wonder how much his verbal to Rutgers will mean when major programs come calling.

Last edited:
Russo has been very impressive so far at the Elite 11. I wonder how much his verbal to Rutgers will mean when major programs come calling.

Relayer,
I have some sympathy for Russo..... He's at an elite high school program, that's good. He obviously has physical skills and attributes that appeal to the next level.
What's somewhat sad is he's in a run 1st, pass 2nd(being charitable here!) offense. The passing schemes at Wood are archaic at best. Good reason why, they never needed to be developed. Wood's ground and pound approach has been the model running offense in this state for sometime now....and will remain so as long as Carey's footprints are in the program.
Wood was "forced" to pass only once last year that I recall, the last 2 1/2 minutes of LaSalle game when they got behind. Review the film of those series of downs, make your own conclusions. Following the pick six that ended the 1st half in 3A state title game, I don't believe Wood attempted another pass in the entire 2nd half.
No one is at fault here......"The name of the game is to WIN", Devlin et. al knows what works and what they're great at.
I guess just feel for the boy, being somewhat inhibited in showing his talents and full skill level....but like I've said multiple times, >98-99% of D1 college commits don't play for state championship teams, you will get noticed if the skill and potential are there.

Relayer,
Sad last week!! Coach Murph and "Fish" gone to a better place...

No question in my mind or those knowledgeable, Squire re-defined the range and efficacy of the instrument!

isn't he doing all of the above right now? No one twisted his arm to go to Wood, a run based offense. But by playing for wood he got exposure that some teams wouldn't. Take that plus him being in the elite 11, how can you feel bad for the guy? Hes a good player with tremendous upside. Cheer em on but don't feel bad.

You could also look at it this way, what if he did have more opportunity to throw the ball and didn't fare to well? Maybe Rutgers wouldn't even had fished around. Good luck Russo and McIIwain, great to see local representatives.

Reactions: ed o'brien
isn't he doing all of the above right now? No one twisted his arm to go to Wood, a run based offense. But by playing for wood he got exposure that some teams wouldn't. Take that plus him being in the elite 11, how can you feel bad for the guy? Hes a good player with tremendous upside. Cheer em on but don't feel bad.

You could also look at it this way, what if he did have more opportunity to throw the ball and didn't fare to well? Maybe Rutgers wouldn't even had fished around. Good luck Russo and McIIwain, great to see local representatives.
I am very happy for Russo who I think will have more opportunity to throw this year and he will have Webb as a solid target. He has his entire senior season to display his abilities and will probably have additional D-1 offers coming.Those of us who saw him play would probably agree he is a very good college prospect and wish him the best.

1-6: 15 yards; 2 picks in state championship...I hope the Russo family sends the Bonner coaches a case of champagne for getting their son a college scholarship

1-6: 15 yards; 2 picks in state championship...I hope the Russo family sends the Bonner coaches a case of champagne for getting their son a college scholarship
Yeah I guess Dilfer and the entire
Elite 11 staff also liked the Bonner game.
OBTW ftlt dope, Anthony is ranked #2 QB at Elite 11. #2, #2, #2 - did you hear that #2!!! - Dope - the kid from CRN is #10! - #10!!! - stop being a hater you dope, and order "football for dummies"
Number Two you dope!

FBU-So what youre saying is that Russo went to the opening and outplayed 9 other QB's in touch football without pads? JK, I get what youre saying.
Elite 11 and the opening is great for exposure for the kids, no doubt. Dilfer knows his stuff, no doubt about that either. Russo is very talented and has a high ceiling. Put aside this past week at the opening and elite 11 where they didnt play a single snap in pads. McIlwain is a better QB than Russo.
With that being said I can see Russo piling up some more offers with his performance this week.

It would be nice to see one of them flip to the Nittany Lions.
Im a nittany lions fan ,so yes I would like Russo to be offered and flip to PSU ,but in the event he stays with Rutgers I will follow his career there.

McIlwain is 5th and Russo 8th heading into the final day. Great showing for these two, and both Bucks County kids playing at schools separated by 10 miles.

You're a bum!

Cheers,

Busch

I think you'll see Wood throw the ball more this year.

Huck,
Anthony's eyes were lit up this week seeing what post-Rockne passing schemes look like(albeit 7x7), but now it's back to Wood and reality. Maybe you're right, Devlin will need to incorporate a significantly different mind-set to take advantage of the skill set. Tough to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old dog rarely loses.
I'm rooting for the kid, he's Italian, I must!!.......except when they play our boys..

Enjoy the day fellas..

Yesman, my thoughts are that due to graduating 6 of 7 OL, plus both TEs, and two experienced/talented RBs that AW's running game slips a little. You know from dominant down to just very good :)

Their principles and system is still what they are, but QB and WR is probably a strength for them this year. I think you'll see the run/pass ratio be more a HS norm this year. Especially vs quality opponents. In the last couple of years against the better teams on their schedule Wood would just go with what was bound to work. Run, run, run....They didn't want to jeopardize a possession by doing something unnecessary like throw the ball. They saved that part of it to overmatched teams. In a sense, throwing their QBs/WRs a bone in these games. In games where they understood they could turn to the run at any time and more than likely score at will.

With Carey taking the year off it will be interesting to see if Wood goes back to a pre-Carey offense (08 - State runner up to TJ; 09 - lost in state semis to eventual champion Selinsgrove). Or sticks with what's been working, or tries to mesh the two systems.
Huck, an off topic question. Ben Franklin plays their home games at Simon Gratz, is that the Marcus Foster Memorial Stadium? Thanks.

To answer for Huck yes Marcus Memorial Stadium is where Ben Franklin and Gratz play their home games

Reactions: Aragorn
With Carey taking the year off it will be interesting to see if Wood goes back to a pre-Carey offense (08 - State runner up to TJ; 09 - lost in state semis to eventual champion Selinsgrove). Or sticks with what's been working, or tries to mesh the two systems.
Huck, an off topic question. Ben Franklin plays their home games at Simon Gratz, is that the Marcus Foster Memorial Stadium? Thanks.

Wood has always been a run first team. Let's face the talent really picked up for them in '10. This is the point they started getting dynamic tailbacks and excellent fullbacks. They had D. Peoples/B. Peoples for two years. Then Guckin/Messina. Followed by McClenton/Messina/Spahits. And last year McClenton/Arcangeli. Add in their OL were deeper and more talented as a group, as were their TEs. So, the run-first principles have been there.

That '09 team had Kevin Murt as their leading rusher. With all due respect, he was a tough kid, but just not in the class of the kids mentioned above. Their best player that year was QB Jerry Rahill.

Here is the breakdown since '07 on the percentage of AW rushes in a season.

07 - 73.1
08 - 78.1
09 - 68.2
10 - 75.4
11 - 82.2
12 - 78.2
13 - 79.1
14 - 74.6

Wood has always been a run first team. Let's face the talent really picked up for them in '10. This is the point they started getting dynamic tailbacks and excellent fullbacks. They had D. Peoples/B. Peoples for two years. Then Guckin/Messina. Followed by McClenton/Messina/Spahits. And last year McClenton/Arcangeli. Add in their OL were deeper and more talented as a group, as were their TEs. So, the run-first principles have been there.

That '09 team had Kevin Murt as their leading rusher. With all due respect, he was a tough kid, but just not in the class of the kids mentioned above. Their best player that year was QB Jerry Rahill.

Here is the breakdown since '07 on the percentage of AW rushes in a season.

07 - 73.1
08 - 78.1
09 - 68.2
10 - 75.4
11 - 82.2
12 - 78.2
13 - 79.1
14 - 74.6
I don't know why everyone says WOOD does not pass. They are always over 1,000 yards passing, mostly 1300 or 1500 yards. the running controls the game and burns the clock, it is their strategy and it works. When they have a good receiving corp McCain, Smith, Adkins, they throw. Rahill used the QB draw play about a million times and threw for over 1500 yards. Evan Tommy Garlick had 1300 yards throwing. When it comes to the big games, they run the ball and 3 out of 4 Championships tells me that it works. This year they will open up the passing more b/c of the skill set of Anthony Russo and Mark Webb and James Gillespie in the slot. Monaghan and Smith allowed them to stretch the field. When they have confidence and consistency in their passing they use it to exploit opponents, when they don't, they ground and pound. They real problem is people like to complain and pick apart this team b/c they WIN. There is a lot of dislike for this program and it's Coach. There are teams that won't play them, with winning comes a lot of baggage, the question is - Is this team better for the success or worse off for it. The "2016" season will tell volumes! Might just be the LaSalle of 2015 season!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT