ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the teams to beat in 2015?

WpialHSFB

Nov 30, 2010
Slow time of year...

PCC and Woodland Hills loaded with talent this year. Should be the top of the Wpial this coming year. How do the usual suspects look around the state?

Erie Prep
Bishop McDevitt
Archbishop Wood
SJP

Anyone in district 11?

This post was edited on 3/11 3:42 PM by WpialHSFB

Just like a prospectus, the past is not an indication of future performance, but, out of the east, the AAA and AAAA paths are through SJP and Wood. Both teams have lost a ton of talent and leadership, Wood possibly a little more so than Prep, so time will tell. The PCL is a guantlett especially at AAAA and Preps schedule is no joke - again.

roxy, agree with Quad A the Prep; Wood, not so sure this coming year,primarily due to their line losses and the emergence of more talent at Imhotep. If coach Carey can do his magic at Wood again with the line ,then maybe we will have another District 12 AAA championship battle between the two of them,but as of now I would give the Eastern title edge to Imhotep.

Parkland is the clear favorite in a District 11 and brings back most if the key pieces that gave SJP a scare in quarters. Seven starters on offense and five on defense are back, including Devante Cross, Kenny Yeboah, and Noel Brouse who are all generating FBS interest. Cross threw for 2,348 yards and had a 27-6 TD/INT ratio and ran for 725 and 10 scores. He played his best game in state playoffs, throwing for 283 yards and four touchdowns in their 34-30 loss. Yeboah caught 47 passes for 770 yards and 13 scores and is one of the best returning receivers in PA, a 6'5 215 match up nightmare. And Brouse is a 6'6 255 two way lineman who missed the state playoff game after separating his shoulder in the district final. They also bring back their leading rusher and four linemen. With school size and infrastructure, I would expect them to fill in the holes at receiver, linebacker, and corner. They should be very good and get a fourth crack at the PCL representative.

Easton and Whitehall both were hit hard by graduation. Freedom could be interesting if Joe Young recovers from his cracked hip to regain the potential he showed running the offense as a sophomore. They return some nice pieces on defense, including FBS recruit Cordell Cotto. Liberty probably brings back the most non-Parkland talent, but they have been perennial underachievers, save for the 2004-2008 run under Moncman.

Rover, what's the latest with Tre Jordan? Have you heard anything as to where he will land?

Rover,

No doubt on your Parkland reference in AAAA. SJP and Parkland probably will be playiong for the east title again. Imhotep may be the favorite in AAA as long as Raynor stays healthy.Wood/Imhotep again should be a whale of a D12 final.

Fletch -

I love that optimism!

I think things will settle down now that Wilmot is in charge. And most certainly, as he has been there for 20 years continuity, continuity would seem a foregone conclusion.

Offensively they should be very solid as the QB, wideouts and TE are back along with a load on the line (and since they can throw that's gonna be on display). Tailback-wise they have the junior who has been getting plenty of reps and time since he was a freshmen (a Pollard type) so I'm not thinking that is an issue (and they usually have someone floating around). Point is that side of ball should be pretty good.

On the D-side the line should be in shape but they'll be filling some holes behind them.

I think the kicking game should be good while the punter may be new.

Anyway, I'm thinking it starts getting back to normal now. I have also been told the middle schools had some kids that could be making noise soon enough so that's good.

Opener up at Montclair should be fun and give us an idea. Maybe that has to be penciled in, though, as "it is what it is" as the new regime will be rolled out at that one.

I'd say in AA and A out west it's the typical favorites:

A: Clairton, perhaps they can have some class if they make it back! I never heard for sure but I don't think they have any postseason ban or anything for their actions last year. I think many of their stars last year were underclassmen including Lamont Wade.

AA: The Wpial fight is likely between South Fayette and Aliquippa once again. Aliquippa never has a problem reloading and didn't lose a ton. South Fayette returns their AA Title game MVP RB Hunter Hayes and basically the entire starting OL and DL.

I'm sure there are good teams in the other western districts but it seems that in the smaller classes the WPIAL has done a good job in the past few years at least advancing to the title game.

This post was edited on 3/12 4:44 PM by WPIAL_Fball

WPIAL,/ Pittsburg Central Catholic players seem to be in many conversations regarding D-1 talent. Do they have any major flaws in their lineup this year. With that kind of talent I would agree that they should be a frontrunner this year to challenge the Prep or possibly a District 11 team if they can finally beat the PCL champ. Perhaps there is a District 1 team looming ready to surface,e.g.North Penn who has some 2 very good running backs returning and probably another huge line. What about PCC flaws if they have any?

PCC never has a lack of talent. They appear on paper to be loaded this year, lot's of offers flying around!

However, their problem to me always seems to be coaching, especially on the offensive side of the ball. For all the talent they produce they can't seem to run any sort of balanced attack. All year they have no problem running on lesser teams and sometimes they put up a lot of their points on defense. When they inevitably run into a good team and get behind it seems they aren't sure what to do. Last year against Pine Richland late in the WPIAL championship they couldn't seem to call a good play to save their life including a terrible fake punt run on 4th down inside their 20 with less than 2 minutes left and then running from the wildcat while down 2 scores with less than a minute left. I hear that Terry Totten (PCC Coach) is a nice guy but I'm just not sure that he is of the same caliber of some of the coaches in the east.

Thoughts on the coming season: District 3, AAAA

Here's a brief summary of the district.

To say 3 looks impressive is an understatement with Mid Penn[/B] mainstays Central Dauphin 11-3[/B] and sister school CD East 10-3[/B] of the Commonwealth Division[/B] battling it out with Cedar Cliff 8-3 [/B]and Lower Dauphin 9-3[/B] of the Keystone[/B]….returning veteran quarterbacks, two in the case of Central Dauphin, and other key parts to suggest big things again for all 4. Especially in the case of Central Dauphin who looks primed for another run at the gold medal with a loaded team. The Rams last won gold in 2011 (15-1) where they beat North Penn 14-7. Harrisburg and Cumberland will reload with new talent.

Central Dauphin:[/B] This looks like the West favorite. They return both QBs, AJ Millar (6-2, 170, jr, 421py, 133ry) and David Payton (5-9, 180, sr, 517py, 617ry), RB Raleigh Sirb (5-9, 190, sr, 1352ry), 4 of 6 lineman anchored by Evan Childs (6-3, 270, jr) and Steve Veronikis (6-5, 225, sr). Most of the D returns (13ppg yield) centered around last year's top freshman in the state, Micah Parsons (6-3, 215), 121 Tackles/14 Sacks/27TFL. Entire DL/DE's with 3 of 4 LBs return. Don't be surprised to see Central Dauphin and Parkland in the final.

Central Dauphin East:[/B] Return QB Jahad Neibauer (5-11, 180, sr, 1067py, 52%, 14/3, 426ry) and one of last year's top sophomores in DE Brandon Hickerson Rooks (6-1,220, jr, 98 tackles) and DT A.J. Perez (6-3, 270, sr), last year's transfer from CD. Receiver corps is a wipe out plus a solid back in Joe LeMelle (5-11, 190, 802ry, 414py). Coach Blanding has East High Panthers moving in the right direction.

Lower Dauphin: [/B]QB Tommy Klock (6-2, 210, sr, 1298, 49%, 13/8) returns with lead back George Hatalowich (5-11, 195, sr, 1382ry). For a tiny quad playing with the big boys, they hold their own well. Beat Cedar Cliff in opening round last year 21-18 (bitter Keystone conference rival) then lost to Central Dauphin 14-7.

Cedar Cliff: [/B]As a sophomore Grant Breneman (6-0, 185) threw for 2396 yards, completing 62% with 24 Tds to 8 picks. RB Jayden Demmy (5-9, 200, sr, 1789ry) returns with lead receiver Mike Viti (6-0, 175, sr, 41/438py) giving them a jump on many with that solid nucleus. Consecutive road trips to open the season at Penn Manor, South Western and Cocalico (10-3, Denver, PA) will tell the tale as Cocalico will again be one of the top Triple-A's in the district competing with McDevitt for honors. CC's conference game with McDevitt will tell how Crusaders have rebuilt and if Colts have matured enough to battle Central Dauphin and Wilson types on even terms. Scored 37ppg last year so look for another explosive offense.

[/B]

Over in the Lancaster Lebanon League, Section-1[/B], Wilson 14-1[/B] as always will dominate again with key parts returning to both sides of the line. Senior Jake Kline, the younger brother of Widener's QB Seth Kline will step in for graduated Jake Templin (126/249/1768/51%, 30/12 Td-Pick). Brother Seth, also a Wilson grad, led Widener (12-1, Div-III, Chester, PA) to the quarterfinals last year where they lost to Linfield after throwing for 3296 yards (60%) as a sophomore; 2809 as a frosh. Senior back Shane Dantzler (5-9, 170) had over 1700 yards rushing last year so look for the Bulldogs to field another force this year.

Manheim Township 8-4[/B] returns a 64 percenter in QB Erik Benjamin (6-1, 215, sr, 2108, 23/8) but lose a pile from a decent defense that allowed 16ppg. Defense is rarely a forte at Township but offenses is where the Blue Streaks often light things up.

Another LL-1 team, Hempfield,[/B] looks strong again with senior QB Sam Kramer's (6-3, 210) running and passing (1005ry, 1212py), enough to keep D's off balance til a replacement for Devin Washington (204/994) is developed. Last year's big armed freshman David Martin (6-3, 210) could press for time. They shook off a 35-14 loss to Manheim Township in the regular season final to pound Dallastown 36-21 in the first round before losing to CD East in the second, 41-40. The Black Knights can score points and should be exciting. Penn Manor 6-5[/B] always has talent but now must replace head coach Todd Mealy, a former Bishop McDevitt standout and winningest coach in school history going 56-35 the last 9 years. Injuries devastated a good, senior team last year that lost 4 of their last 5 games after a 5-1 start.

The Berk FB League[/B] could take a step back but not too far with Governor Mifflin 11-2[/B] and Exeter Township 8-3[/B] suffering tremendous grad losses. Reading's 6-5[/B] triple option could slip a little but return QB Elisiah Bayne and running back Jai Whitlock. Dontae Owens (RB/WR/athlete-Rutgers) will be missed. Coach Robert Flowers (4th year) clearly has Knights on the right path with a playoff game against CD, their first playoff appearance in 11 years when they went 10-3 under coach Al Wolski retired from State College following the 2013 season.

Things are always competitive in the York-Adams Division 1[/B] with Dallastown (9-2), Central York (5-5), Red Lion (6-5) [/B]and South Western (5-5)[/B] fielding exciting teams, especially this year with all 4 returning their quarterback. Red Lion and South Western look particularly loaded. Red Lion[/B] returns QB Dalton Grove, (6-2, 175, sr, 1051py, 50%) and his principle receivers plus most of the defense, keyed by leading tackler Stone Hill (6-2, 215, sr, 141 tackles), DT Nick Argento (6-3, 295, jr, 83 stops) and LB Alex Keough (6-0, 185, sr, 75 tackles). South Western's [/B]Mustangs [/B]began the year 0-3 but finished 5-2, winning their last 3 to enter this year on a high note. 3 of their losses came to Gettysburg 44-41 at home and away at Central York 20-13ot and Dallastown 28-27.

Stalk -

The Rams have really come on strong of recent times (and you know I love/follow CD - maybe that '63 opener at the Ridge has something to do with it).

D3 - a bunch of juggeranauts out there.

Nice write-up, as always.

I have not heard anything concrete. I do not know where the young man lives, so I don't know what his home public school would be if he choose to go that route. From the sounds of things, he'd follow Coach Phil Stambaugh wherever he went. There was scuttlebutt that the whole Pius X coaching staff was going to Notre Dame, a 2A catholic school on the border of Easton and Bethlehem Township. That's probably the simplest move as far as logistics, transfer fights, etc, but I do not know how that has progressed. He's obviously still in school at Pius until it closes in June.

There is a message board rumor about him going to Freedom. That would mean I guess that Joe Young isn't going to recover from his hip injury. If Jordan lives in that part of Bethlehem, I guess that makes sense. He's in a weird spot because Beca has an all state quarterback , so that takes away the logical landing spot (unless Spigner wants to come back to Easton now that there's a new basketball coach). And Central stinks, so I see no incentive in transferring there. Notre Dame makes sense if Stambaugh goes there, but otherwise they've been a doormat since Dan Tavani graduated.

Stambaugh is the first high profile assistant in a while that won't go to Parkland, since he and Terwilliger have duplicative skill sets. I'd love to see easton make a run at him as an OC-QB coach, but that's the least likely match of all time. If he goes to ND, they're instantly credible for the first time maybe ever. I'd imagine he's being contacted by most of the Valley. Frankly, that's a phone call LaSalle probably should have made, former FCS All American and professional QB becomes available who shares your offensive philosophy and is suddenly available because his school is closing.

Throw the Red Raiders into the mix. A D1 prospect at QB w speedy running backs and wide receivers ... They'll be a tough out

Penn Trafford, Penn Hills, State College

Been working on the entire west Skinner apart from D3 that looks highly competitive and will post more West info sometime after this great weekend of HS and College hoops.

Like the rest of the state the West will have it's usual "players", regulars like Woodland Hills, Central Catholic, McKeesport, North Allegheny. Nothing new about that. Also like the teams in the subject line to do well, real well in the case of PT, State, if they get a QB.

Central Dauphin should be much more than last year's young group that got to the district final so a lot is expected there if they can get through the grind of the Mid Penn Conference with health then slug their way out of the district. Mount Lebanon also looks interesting, maybe Bethel Park and Altoona. Hey, who knows.

WpialHSFB....Neshannock looks good enough to make another run at the A title and Clairton.

PCC - Finding a QB

Latest rumor out here is that senior-to-be QB (Kuhn) from Kiski Area is transferring to PCC. That would give them three possible starters on their roster - Kuhn, Frerotte, and Navarro. My observation from last year is that they just need to pick one and stick with it. Possible problem is QB coach is Gus Frerotte and he may be biased to playing his kid. (That is just speculation).

ADVERTISEMENT