ADVERTISEMENT

What should the line be on Prep vs. Pine-Richland?

njfan47

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe SJP -8? Or is that too low? Does anyone know if John Reid will be playing?

nj,

On Ted Silary's site there was a photo of Reid at the game using crutches, so I'm not optimistic he'll be back on Saturday. It was good to see Tom Johnson playing, but he was clearly not 100%.

Not knowing anything about gambling (how disgusting)....;)....I'd guess the line would be substantial, given their showing against State College and Wilson but wouldn't bet it with DiNucci back there and Reid questions. He's probably worth 2-3 points.

Prep is very good, but alot of you have never seen PR play. I think they are underrated. Very talented all around. DeNucci is one of the best QB in the state.

I would agree with PennStateNate on most of his points. They are a very good team. Offensively, they are very explosive. Similar to LaSalle. They spread the field well and make you defend the entire field. They have a bruising running back who punishes tacklers when he runs. Defensively, they appear to be very stingy. They don't give up a ton of points, are physical and run to the football very well. Not sure they have played a team with Prep's speed but they are very good. I don't think they are underrated however. Aren't they ranked #18 nationally by USA or Max Preps or someone. Should be a great game. I think it will be a wide open game since both teams are no huddle, up tempo. Neither team likes to kick field goals and has a tendency to go for it on fourth down inside the red zones. I think making any of these teams more then a 3 pt favorite is a mistake even though last 2 finals have been blowouts. Either team could catch fire and put the other team in the hole that they gamble and it only makes matters worse.

The fact that the weather is going to be clear benefits the Prep. It allows the Prep to take advantage of all of their weapons which might be too much for PR to handle. I am not just throwing that out there to slight PR but a couple of games on PR's schedule that would concern me from my perspective. The four on their schedule that gives us some idea who they are would be North Allegheny, State College, PCC and now Wilson. To start, I don't think PR beat Wilson, it is more that Wilson gave the game to PR. I got to watch the replay and Wilson had the game under control and their coach must have had a brain hemorrhage and became way too conservative on both sides of the ball and gave PR every opportunity to get back into the game. A credit to PR they threw 3 TDs on the board very quickly but it looked like Wilson rolled over for them.

I have watched a couple of video clips on YouTube and they aren't much beyond promotional highlight clips but they do indicate they are a solid football team. Their passing game is very similar to LaSalle but not as good. DeNucci (don't take this as a slam) is not Shurmur and their receiving corps is not LaSalle's. Meechum is a much better back then #6 and #14. (Not a slam) The scores indicate they struggled with NA and SC. I have seen State College play and I did not think they were very good. (just my opinion) I have contacts at PCC who tell me if SJP is anything like last year's team then PR doesn't have a chance. Their explanation is PR is too big and too slow to hang with SJP's speed. I might have to agree with that assessment but not to that extreme. SJP by 10. If PR can't kick it could be 14. They keep it close through the air but they can't keep up 34-24.

I still think this going to be a very good game. One thought, my friend from PCC feels the game will be decided in the first two offensive possessions by the Prep. Not so much as the score but the disparity in speed.

High school qbs, Dinucci included, are as good as their offensive line allows them to be. Dinucci was way too comfortable in the pocket against WWL. Prep's d will disrupt. Prep wins easily.

This post was edited on 12/8 3:10 PM by LS9er

if memory serves me right it was mentioned on Root sports during the first PR-PCC Gsame at Highmark stadium, that PR has the biggest line in the WPIAL?

I saw Ben DiNucci at Heinz Field this year and on TV a couple of times. He hits on some nice throws but he can be inconsistent and at least from my perspective his footwork in the pocket is terrible. He threw some pretty ugly balls against Central Catholic in the championship game but got away with it. He seems to like to flip the ball out there without his feet set a lot from what I saw. If Prep's secondary is good they good end up making some picks. I think State College had only a few picks all season and picked him off twice (I didn't see that game so I'm just speaking from news reports).

Pine Richland out gained Wilson

Pine Richland handed the ball to Wilson deep in their own end on a silver platter - two times after special teams miscues - and Wilson was unable to get in the end zone

and Pine Richland was down two lineman

SJP might be better than Pine Richland at almost every position - on paper

but SJP will not be able to just show up - and assume their advantage in talent and athletic ability will take over

that is basically what happened when Pine Richland played Central Catholic the first time the two teams met this season ; Central Catholic was dominated - and embarrassed

Pine Richland could have scored 70 points in that game

if SJP does a decent job with film study and practice - most likely they will win going away

but they better do their homework; talented athletes alone will not get the job done against Pine Richlamd offense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT