ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday Night Checkin

MaternDeiiWarrior

Aug 20, 2018
SE PA
What game(s) will you be attending this first weekend of HS football?

MDW will be at Crawford Stadium for LaSalle vs NP on Friday.

On Saturday, heading to Ocean City’s Carey Stadium for four games:

9:30AM: West Deptford High School vs Hightstown High School
12:15PM: Paul VI High School vs St. Thomas Aquinas High School
3:00PM: Rancocas Valley High School vs Union High School
7:00PM: IMG Academy (Florida) vs St. Joes Prep (PA)

Reactions: lilromeo

CB West/Garnet Valley

Wow, IMG, STA and St Joe's all rubbing elbows!
Wanted to see Wilson vs Roman at Up Dub but don't think that's going to work out, so it's Central York at Central Dauphin.

Wow, IMG, STA and St Joe's all rubbing elbows!
Wanted to see Wilson vs Roman at Up Dub but don't think that's going to work out, so it's Central York at Central Dauphin.
I don't think STA is the FL high school.

CB West/Garnet Valley
CB West with their QB replacement dominated Garnet Valley even though the score was 17-13. West ran the ball very effectively and shut down GV running attack. GV score twice on West DB coverage mix ups . The Refs definitely kept the score close .

Reactions: bucksftball
CB West with their QB replacement dominated Garnet Valley even though the score was 17-13. West ran the ball very effectively and shut down GV running attack. GV score twice on West DB coverage mix ups . The Refs definitely kept the score close .
Bucks dominant up front… GV had a good size advantage between the tackles but that didn’t slow down West. Waiting to see some more stats but the QB had 176 and HB had 111 on the ground according to Drew Markol. So Bucks rushed for over 300 and I don’t think that GV had 100. West never punted… need to clean up the errors but obviously a huge win to open the season.

Great W for the bucks. I missed the game. How did they not punt, but only score 17? I assume drives were stalling out in the red zone or maybe a few turnovers?

On a separate note, LaSalle destroyed NP 34-3. It looked like a solid LS squad, but nothing special. As a general SOL supporter, it’s sad to see how far NP has fallen. It wasn’t that long ago that they and LaSalle were having epic battles; now LS consistently blows the doors off them. I still believe Beck is a great coach, but I’m not sure what’s happened there in the past 5-7 years. They certainly don’t play any defense.

Great W for the bucks. I missed the game. How did they not punt, but only score 17? I assume drives were stalling out in the red zone or maybe a few turnovers?

On a separate note, LaSalle destroyed NP 34-3. It looked like a solid LS squad, but nothing special. As a general SOL supporter, it’s sad to see how far NP has fallen. It wasn’t that long ago that they and LaSalle were having epic battles; now LS consistently blows the doors off them. I still believe Beck is a great coach, but I’m not sure what’s happened there in the past 5-7 years. They certainly don’t play any defense.
2 fumbles and a 4th down stop late in the game plus one earlier.

North Penn was up on Lasalle last year through 4 quarters. I guess we’ll see if Lasalle is that good or North Penn that bad or something in between.

Last edited:
That’s true. But when was the last time they actually beat them? Keep in mind LaSalle was pretty bad last year…They played a frosh QB against NP and NP was supposed to be loaded.

2 fumbles and a 4th down stop late in the game.

North Penn was up on Lasalle last year through 4 quarters. I guess we’ll see if Lasalle is that good or North Penn that bad or something in between.
I will add that the Refs were throwing flags at West on several very promising long drives which ended them.

Reactions: bucksftball

Did anyone see the Roman/Wilson game ?

Bucks dominant up front… GV had a good size advantage between the tackles but that didn’t slow down West. Waiting to see some more stats but the QB had 176 and HB had 111 on the ground according to Drew Markol. So Bucks rushed for over 300 and I don’t think that GV had 100. West never punted… need to clean up the errors but obviously a huge win to open the season.
A little throw back being that cb west will have be one of the better teams in 6A this year. It's nice to see them get a W over GV after getting knocked out of the playoffs by them the last 2 years. Besides having a good QB and dominating up front on Friday I read where they have one of the fastest receiver in the state. I believe he's a track guy and should be competing in states in the 100m. I think he was the favorite to win it last year but got DQ'd for early starts.

A little throw back being that cb west will have be one of the better teams in 6A this year. It's nice to see them get a W over GV after getting knocked out of the playoffs by them the last 2 years. Besides having a good QB and dominating up front on Friday I read where they have one of the fastest receiver in the state. I believe he's a track guy and should be competing in states in the 100m. I think he was the favorite to win it last year but got DQ'd for early starts.
I’d be comfortable saying that when he’s healthy he’s the fastest HS athlete in PA. Won the indoor 200m state championship comfortably and at one point early in the spring track season (before a hamstring injury) was tops in both 100m and 200m. Reinjured it later on I believe during state 200m heats. He was a heavy favorite in the 200.

Great week 1 for the Bucks, could be a challenging year for GV if their QB’s injury on their final offensive play is as serious as it appeared.

Can any PA boundary school stay within 50 of this SJP team?
No chance.

I’m personally losing interest in District 1 football as the years go on. Whoever comes out of that side of the bracket will get steamrolled by SJP. It’s a shame as District 1 is filled with great history and rivalries.

Reactions: Fletchster1
On average, there is probably only 1, maybe 2 starters from each District 1 team that would start for SJP. On plenty of teams there would be 0. I don’t blame SJP for this and I’m not a SJP hater. I root for them against any out of state competition.

This game displayed the competitive balance between a national non-boundary vs a big city non-boundary. I thought SJP might be able to pull it out with more team continuity, but the IMG D just wouldn’t let SJP do anything on O to get them over the top. Both QBs struggled against that level of talent.

These non-boundary all star teams should not be “competing” with boundary schools for PA championships. It’s such a shame for the boundary programs in the area - it’s like the “O’Doyle Rules” scene from Bill Madison. PA needs to step up or maybe SJP’s admin and coaches will self reflect to realize it’s not a badge of honor winning PA Championships with a handpicked roster.

This game displayed the competitive balance between a national non-boundary vs a big city non-boundary. I thought SJP might be able to pull it out with more team continuity, but the IMG D just wouldn’t let SJP do anything on O to get them over the top. Both QBs struggled against that level of talent.

These non-boundary all star teams should not be “competing” with boundary schools for PA championships. It’s such a shame for the boundary programs in the area - it’s like the “O’Doyle Rules” scene from Bill Madison. PA needs to step up or maybe SJP’s admin and coaches will self reflect to realize it’s not a badge of honor winning PA Championships with a handpicked roster.
I don’t think SJP puts much emphasis on winning state titles. Yeah they must compete bc of their affiliation with PIAA but if they hung their hat on state chips it’s no way they schedule the way they do. District 12 catholic league can all operate the same if they wanted, but they don’t. Although they’re a national power, they could schedule regional games that are less competitive. I’m a Roman alumni, there’s nothing stopping us from doing the same outside of maybe funding. I think there’s an issue but also not solely a PIAA issue.

Reactions: Stalker
I don’t think SJP puts much emphasis on winning state titles. Yeah they must compete bc of their affiliation with PIAA but if they hung their hat on state chips it’s no way they schedule the way they do. District 12 catholic league can all operate the same if they wanted, but they don’t. Although they’re a national power, they could schedule regional games that are less competitive. I’m a Roman alumni, there’s nothing stopping us from doing the same outside of maybe funding. I think there’s an issue but also not solely a PIAA issue.
I know for a fact that the coaches at the prep put a major emphasis on winning state titles.

Did anyone see the Roman/Wilson game ?
lilromeo, some stats:
Wilson 18 first downs
RY 33/99, PY 14/30/165, Tot 264 yds

Roman 11 first downs
RY 18/144, PY 11/22/264, Tot 408

Roman individual
Dazhaun Hopkins 54, 46 Td receptions
Tyler Mines 58, 33 Td receptions
Desmond Robts 55 pass
Zamir Newsaun 51 pass
All Tds by Semaj Beals
Louis Gaddy 72 yd pick 6

By qtrs
0/7/7/0........14
13/7/22/7.....49

I know for a fact that the coaches at the prep put a major emphasis on winning state titles.
If their main focus was to win a state chip at this point you wouldn’t need to schedule nationally ranked teams year after year. Was STA not the best team they played last yr? If all I want is a state title I would pick an easier route.

If their main focus was to win a state chip at this point you wouldn’t need to schedule nationally ranked teams year after year. Was STA not the best team they played last yr? If all I want is a state title I would pick an easier route.
Those games get prep ready for the playoffs and schedule those games brings the D1 recruits into prep. It gets those D1 kids more recognition and the kids fighting for a major scholarship a better chance. You're playing against top D1 kids with D1 kids on ESPN. The advantages are too big. Me personally I don't think prep should be in the piaa playoffs. They are a traveling all star team but that seems to be the direction high school football is heading. Especially for top talent.

Reactions: Stalker
1. They have a hard time finding local opponents to play them out of league.
2. Playing a national schedule in preseason allows them to attract big time talent.
3. Playing national schedule preseason prepares them for state playoff run.
4. If they’re able to do it financially, why not?

Reactions: Bighead75
2. Playing a national schedule in preseason allows them to attract big time talent.
Anyone have an idea of how much SJP and IMG received from ESPN for Saturday's game? (I'm assuming they were paid, just as colleges are paid when their teams' games are broadcast.)

I totally agree , but I was speaking from an opponent stand point. You don’t take the tougher opponent to get you ready for less talented programs. I think SJP will continue to be a national power and attract the talent to do just that. I root for them against national opponents. I think next for them would be Texas,NV, or the Cali powers. Would love you see a sjp vs bosco/mater dei kick off next yr.

Anyone have an idea of how much SJP and IMG received from ESPN for Saturday's game? (I'm assuming they were paid, just as colleges are paid when their teams' games are broadcast.)
I think the payment comes from the showcase company. Not sure how much. Imagine how much money the venues and showcase brought in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT