ADVERTISEMENT

Schurmur anchors 200 free relay

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
La Salle won the 200 free relay to help them in their hunt for a fourth straight State championship. He could go to Vandy with two state championships but neither for football.
This post was edited on 3/13 9:12 PM by paul from philly

Had kids that swam in high school and college and have sat through my share of meets. Most top notch swimmers are in it year round. PIAA states is pretty fast. For Kyle to compete at that level and not be a year round swimmer is pretty impressive. ( at least I assume he was not swimming during football) My hats off to him. Nice to see kids excel at more than one sport. A football/swimming combo is not something you often see. I think I read somewhere his mom was a swimmer?

Inter, Absolutely agree with ya...FB & Swimming are usually not very compatible.....particularly if you play "up front." Phenomenal Pheat from Kyle, there.

Can remember a few exceptions to this general rule...CJ Marck from Pennsbury was a real good swimmer, played MLB and could bench well over 400 (really unusual for a swimmer.)

Blitz, Thanks for the reminder on CJ. Good blast from the past. Consistently excelled at both sports.
Hats off to Kyle and his teammates for winning another swimming title. Class AAA boys in PA is very fast and very competitive. To win their 4th is quite an accomplishment.

Re: Schurmur and another La Salle state championship !!!

Kyle also placed 9th in the 100 yard backstroke adding points for LaSalle.

Congrats to the Explorers on their 4th consecutive state swimming and diving championship!

JBin: Four consecutive state titles is one "Dandy Deed!" LaSalle looks to be nr. 1 in the running for Philly Area (includes South Jersey!) "All-Sports" title....would be interesting to actually calculate which schools are tops all-around....has anybody ever done that?? Pretty sure my alma matre would be pretty high "up there" as well.....

Blitz, the title would have to be one of those "mythical" ones, not that that would stop JBin and Paul from claiming it for LaSalle. How are you going to weigh a state championship in golf (which most schools don't play, which involves maybe five kids on each team--and which SJP won this year) in relation to a state championship in football? And what to do about crew which doesn't have a state championship but which is a very big sport involving lots of kids, including at SJP and LaSalle? Then there are the "club" sports like hockey and rugby.

Whoa Tulla, don't bring me into it. All I have ever said was that La Salle collects a lot of State Championships, which they do. I would agree with you that it would be a mythical title for the reasons you stated.

Tulla, Paul: The title would be "mythical," but who cares?? Just for fun, take the top seven sports from each school, men´s or women´s....the one stipulation is ya gotta have one major sport included (men´s football, basketball or baseball). Haven´t quite figured out a point system (formula), but I´m sure some Wunderwizard could come up with one....maybe pure winning pct. in those seven sports...not sure how far back one should go, either...maybe five years? 10?

Oh man....you went there.....Rugby.

Hey PCL, I´ll go anyplace. And rugby´s a great sport...why not??

Well, I´ll take my first statement back a bit....wouldn´t go to a few "choice locations," would kinda feel "uncomfortable" at one of North Penn´s Barnyard Balls, etal. I´m sure you can think up a few, too...

Funny...wasn't too long ago NP was roundly considered to have the best overall athletics teams in Pa. Would they still be in the mix?

The three staples (football, basketball, baseball) just to start. Track and field and cross country (always have been, always will be). Hockey no. Rugby no. Too new and few schools have them. Crew no (sorry St. Joe but "no PIAA Championship, no cigar"). Wrestling yes. Swimming yes. Tennis (up to you). Soccer (up to you). Lacrosse (up to you). Golf (up to you). But if there is a state championship for the sport, than I guess it should hold some value.

Tulla has a very good point about student participation. Golf is a great sport but considering only a few students are on the team, should it garner the same value as a sport such as soccer. True head scratcher question!! Es ist eine gute frage, Blitz!!

Just curious regarding some of the recent replies, how is a PA state swimming title "mythical" when you're going head to head against competing state schools??

"National" champions at the high school level are generally considered "mythical" since no national tournament playoffs exist.

I was responding to Blitz's suggestion that the area school with the best all-around athletic program be identified. Any program selected would be a kind of "mythical" top program.

Wow....remember when we used to talk football on this board? Yikes!
So anyway........lets talk billiards! I once ran 52, (14.1) in Miami (Coral Gables actually) before taken to the cleaner by Boston Shorty and Mexican Johnny playing one pocket. Rodriquez from Orlando got me pretty good too but I did beat world pocket billiards champ Danny Deliberto's nephew. Rack'em!

PCL: Well, maybe....NP certainly has the best square/line dance program in the commonwealth and their haybaleing squad ain´t too shabby, either. Rumor has it they even set up a basket in the main campus Barn and are actually thinking about starting up a "new-fangled" team sport called "Basket-bowl," or something like that.....

You boys are a regular riot!!... If you had any children that played these non-football sports, you wouldn't be joking and talking trash!!

I had two boys who played "those non-football sports" along with football. They got into pretty good schools because of those sports. That's why when people say the administration at La Salle should step up and back sports more, I say it's nonsense. My boys got out with three state championships.

The concept of a "Sears Cup" as colleges have to determine a State high school athletic "champion" is an interesting thought. Hard to distinguish with most schools not participating in various sports. North Allegheny out West, Conestoga in SEPA along with LaSalle come to mind as schools with broad athletic achievements in recent time. Perhaps those of you can relate more.
I realize this is a football site but we are 5 months from the onset of fall practice, we're all somewhat bored..

I agree with some of the posters that Shurmur's achievements while not dedicated to a full-time swimming commitment are admirable.
Just my two cents..

Yo Yes.....I´d have to assess us at more of an "irregular riot," but that´s beside the point...hey, I love those "other sports!" As a matter of record, was a swimmer in high school as well....we (Pennsbury) won the District One Title (that´s as far as it went back then) in my freshmen and sophomore years.....had a dude by the name of Gary Plantier. Gary was about 6-3, with 6-9 arms that hung down to his ankles. Nobody ever beat him in any race he was in, including relays. The biggest chore all the opposing coaches had was to try to guess which three events Gary would swim so they could avoid putting their best guys in said events.....was quite humorous to see the looks on their faces when they guessed wrong, which was often the case....ha!

So, it's a state sanctioned championship but because it's one that SJP never sniffs, it "isn't real" or "doesn't count".

Nobody claimed a thing for La Salle, there is a list of state sanctioned championships on their webpage; I didn't put it there.

Sour grapes doesn't look good on you Tulla.

Congrats Explorers on their 4th straight PIAA state Swimming / Diving championship.

JBin,

That's quite an over-reaction. I never said or even suggested any championship isn't real or doesn't count.

As for nobody claiming a thing for LaSalle, you've often noted LaSalle's success in various sports on the football board, emphasizing how LaSalle encourages students to play more than one sport and doesn't put special emphasis on any one sport.

By contrast, when the Prep won the state golf championship in the fall or when they've won national rowing championships, I don't remember any Prep person congratulating the team on this board.

Lots of Prep kids play more than one sport, but I assume the same is the case at many schools.

"Blitz, the title would have to be one of those "mythical" ones, not that that would stop JBin and Paul from claiming it for LaSalle. How are you going to weigh a state championship in golf (which most schools don't play, which involves maybe five kids on each team--and which SJP won this year) in relation to a state championship in football?"

Your words, not mine Tulla ....

Nothing "mythical" about a PIAA sanctioned state championship and nobody "claimed" a thing. The boys don't need me to win state championships, they do it well enough on their own.

So, what counts in your world Tulla, football only? Does baseball count or not important enough? How about lacrosse, important enough in your mind? How about gymnastics and water polo, sports I'm not very familiar with; do they get the Tulla "you're allowed to have a championship" seal of approval?

I only posted on this thread because someone else started it and I added Shurmur's additional points. I posted my personal congrats to the team on the "Other Sports" board. I hope that's ok with you.

This post was edited on 3/17 10:44 AM by JBinPA

You're overheated, which may account for your misreading.

As most people, including Blitz, seem to have understood, the "mythical" title I referred to was the one for best overall sports program in the area--not any sport-specific title any school would have won. The gist of my post was that it would be hard if not impossible to work out a formula to determine who most deserved the title.

Of course, I think all sports count, but I've noticed that with some regularity LaSalle guys (unlike people connected with just about any other school in the area) make mention on the football board of how well their "non-football" teams have done.

I'm beginning to think Roxy has a point in detecting a certain complex on Cheltenham Ave.

Tulla, I brought up the number of championships from other sports because people on the board were complaining about La Salle's administration not backing football the way they should. Again I say that is nonsense.

Cheltenham Ave., Girard Ave...hell, both schools have to build additions just to have wall space for all the plaques! What about those of us who attended school on Solly Ave, damnit!

Tulla -

Ya' think ?!?! .... JBinPAin in particular takes things out of context to make a point that is premeditated. Obviously, he wasn't on the mock trial team, which, Roman won over SJP in the final. Congrats Roman. Also, find it peculiar that Rugby doesn't matter ( I heard SJP has a state championship) and yet LS started a program - hmmm ?

The curious thing is that sports--and especially doing really well in at least a few sports--have become more important to SJP in the last two decades or so. I can't speak for LaSalle (obviously), but maybe the same is true there. II suppose it's all part of the need to keep the profile of the school high in an era of changing demographics and increasing financial pressures.

Rugby is not a sport the PIAA gives a championship in yet. But they do for bowling!! Go figure!! I guess it's a sport schools can afford. A nice shirt and a flat top haircut (Earl Anthony) is all you need.

Tried and true formula. One only needs to look at other Jesuit and Christian Brother schools that had the formula long before SJP and LS took it and ran with it. And by saying it, I am not attacking it either. Not looking for a fight. It's just reality.

FF,
I feel for you brother!! Have a lot Judge friends and colleagues, good people, always wish them well when not playing our boys!

Judge student athletes are solid tough kids that do a lot with less, my best to your boys..

nm
This post was edited on 3/17 10:23 PM by yesman3

nm
This post was edited on 3/17 10:22 PM by yesman3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT