ADVERTISEMENT

Ridley

delcofootball1

Jul 31, 2015
ive heard quite a few rumors over the past few days concerning Ridley football. I'm hoping there's no truth to these rumors. Maybe somebody on here has some insight but apparently there were some off the field issues concerning some players from the team and those issues have resulted in suspension of football activities, including possible games. This would be awful for the central league and Delaware county football.

It is fact, not rumor. The only thing up in the air I'd punishment: either multiple player suspensions, or he possible forfeiture of games. And it was not a Ridley football incident, it encompasses other Ridley teams with the same suspension/forfeiture issues. It also may affect Interboro sports programs as well.

There were about 100 Ridley athletes involved , so the decision one way or the other it will have long lasting affects.

It is fact, not rumor. The only thing up in the air I'd punishment: either multiple player suspensions, or he possible forfeiture of games. And it was not a Ridley football incident, it encompasses other Ridley teams with the same suspension/forfeiture issues. It also may affect Interboro sports programs as well.

There were about 100 Ridley athletes involved , so the decision one way or the other it will have long lasting affects.
Even in a vague way can u provide some details. Over 100 athletes involved boggles my mind.

I'm with chuv, nothing in the media yet, can it be that bad? When the CBW story broke last year the TV stations were in Doylestown within the hour.

The story will break eventually , even in Ridley, where the police like to keep things off the radar screen. It was an alcohol related drinking competion between the two rivals schools that went seriously awry. At last count there were 94 Ridley kids arrested or cited. Some of the Ridley kids were 2015 graduates , so not all of the 94 are current students. A similar number of Interboro students and recent grads involved as well.

Apparently Ridley has an alcohol/athletics provision or code that calls for a 30 suspension for any alcohol related violation. Some of the issues concerning the policy are when does the 30 days start ? If it starts the first day of camp , then the kids would miss all of summer practice and the first two games. If the 30 days start the first day of school, the kids could practice but then miss up.to 4 games. It will be intersting to see how this plays out. Under the old school regime and administration , this likely would have never got out and both the police and school would have figured out a Way around it. But the high school had 3 new principals and vice principals along with a brand new AD and no one really knows how they will handle it. Also , since the incident did not happen at school , or at a school related function some kids/ parents may test the legality of the code. One final twist is that since this is a Ridley issue and Ridley violation only , the kids I question could transfer to another school and try to play right away. Ridley would likely contest the transfers on the theory they are totally for athletic reasons. But if yiur a senior and looking at a 4 game suspension , what other choices do you have and what do,you have to lose ?

This is all the info I have right now. But I'm sure it's not the end of the story.

Thanks for the update, Speed. Can you confirm any other info? Details about the drinking competition, what events were involved, etc? I'm currently picturing the movie Beerfest.

My sources tell me Ridley was down 4-3 but had strong teams entered in the Beer Pong and Flip Cup events.

Thanks for the update, Speed. Can you confirm any other info? Details about the drinking competition, what events were involved, etc? I'm currently picturing the movie Beerfest.

My sources tell me Ridley was down 4-3 but had strong teams entered in the Beer Pong and Flip Cup events.

Wow, Joe_Kane. Its a little off putting to me that almost 100 kids from Interboro and Ridley get arrested in a beer Olympics and that is a joke to you. I guess that should be an indicator as to how Ridley will probably handle the situation, which is probably not have any of the football players miss any significant time. No one denies high school kids drink, but if this is swept under the rug what message is the school sending, an what precedent would they be setting?

Its Ridley football, so like I said, nothing will probably happen.

my recollection is a similar situation occured at Shanahan about 3-4 years ago, but it was only a handfull of players. I think some players transferred to other schools where some of hte new schools let th ekids play, others did not. Somde other kids were better lacrosse players than football-so they willingly sat out football but were allowed to play lacrossee??

My details may be a bit fuzzy on this so maybe some of our Chestmont faitful have more details-not so much on the incident-but how the incident was handled by the school and how it imapcted the football season.

Wow, Joe_Kane. Its a little off putting to me that almost 100 kids from Interboro and Ridley get arrested in a beer Olympics and that is a joke to you. I guess that should be an indicator as to how Ridley will probably handle the situation, which is probably not have any of the football players miss any significant time. No one denies high school kids drink, but if this is swept under the rug what message is the school sending, an what precedent would they be setting?

Its Ridley football, so like I said, nothing will probably happen.

Seriously? Lighten up, it was exactly that; a joke. You want me to clutch my pearls and scream "won't somebody think of the children!"?

But you're right, you should take a comment on a message board from an anonymous poster as an indicator of how the school board will handle this situation. Totally valid reaction IMO.

24/7 conduct policies are near impossible to enforce. If it didn't happen in school, schools have little leverage. Parents could sue them like crazy for denying a student a privilege, particularly minors who have sealed records /expungement usually as part of the adjudication. This had nothing to do with a team hazing. It's a party. They'll all be on field week one most likely

It is my understanding that students who transfer to avoid school disciplinary action are ineligible to participate at their new school.

Does this really surprise anyone? I was in high school once. Not proud of it, but we did some crazy stuff back in the day. The good news is no one was injured and maybe lesson learned.

Natural Light? Apparently it's bad enough to make the top spot on this list.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

Does this really surprise anyone? I was in high school once. Not proud of it, but we did some crazy stuff back in the day. The good news is no one was injured and maybe lesson learned.

The only way I would've been surprised is if the beer they confiscated WASN'T Natural Light (or maybe Keystone).

Shouldn't surprise those of us old enough..

What surprises me, wasn't very discrete, almost a Town Crier announcement apparently prior to event.

Relayer,
Why is not Yes in R&R Hall of "Shame"? More than 1/2 of inductees couldn't hold candle to some surprisingly still waiting. i.e. Chicago, Moody Blues
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts?? Really???

Line-up changes don't wash when you're letting that in! IMHO..

A couple of things mviong forward as it relates to the incident and its impact on sports in general and specifically football.

1. The arresting police department was Ridley Park, not Ridley Township. For those unfamilar withe the geogrpahical /political makeup of the ridley school district, the Ridley Township Police control abouty 80% of the area, with the other 20% split between Ridley Park, Eddystone& Morton police. The high school is in Ridley Township and the school and police department for years have a very good relationship and inevitably work together to keep things out of the newspaper and the kids clean with police blotters. Its more valuable to drive around Ridley Township withe the Rocking "R" football decal on your car than and FOP badge. But since Ridley Park has jurisdiction, this is less likely to just go away quietly.

2. The officers were given discretion in issuing tickets and for the most part they issued disorderly conduct tickets and NOT underage drinking. While both citations are typically dealt with by paying a fine, I think high school conduct policy only deals with alcohol/drug related incidents. So while it was clearly an alcohol related party, it may give the school administration some leeway in handing down any penalty since the citations make no reference to alcohol.

Are you saying that the school can choose to look the other way with this matter? What about any prior students who were subjected to the school rules for similar instances? Would this set a precedence?

I DO not know what the school will do. But since the citations are for disorderly conduct and not alcohol and they were not done on school property or during a school event, there may be some wiggle room or as suggested above a legal way around it for parents.

From what I remember and was told about the Shanahan situation I believe they only kicked out 1 or 2 kids but all involved were mostly seniors were not allowed to play football. Basically Shanahan did not have any senior players that year. The one kid who was pretty good ironically ended up at Ridley. I'm not making this who is better but Carholic school you are out if the admin wants but public school you have legal issues which make it more sticky to suspend. This stuff happens and whatever they do will be the right thing to some and not harsh enough for others. If Interboro suspends and Ridley does not it won't be good.

Everyone is out to bury these kids-we all did stupid things-make it a teachable moment. Thank goodness nobody got behind the wheel. Make them go to an AA meeting and see how drinking can impact lives. Make them do community service. Make them sit a game. But I don't see how you can suspend a kid for more than that, let alone a season.

Everyone is so quick to bury high-school aged KIDS. We all made mistakes when we were teenagers. They need to be reprimanded-but shutting down a program and suspending kids for the season? I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. They've embarrassed their families, their schools, their programs, their coaches. For a lot of them, this is a reality check and will hopefully be a lifelong lesson.

Everyone is out to bury these kids-we all did stupid things-make it a teachable moment. Thank goodness nobody got behind the wheel. Make them go to an AA meeting and see how drinking can impact lives. Make them do community service. Make them sit a game. But I don't see how you can suspend a kid for more than that, let alone a season.

Everyone is so quick to bury high-school aged KIDS. We all made mistakes when we were teenagers. They need to be reprimanded-but shutting down a program and suspending kids for the season? I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. They've embarrassed their families, their schools, their programs, their coaches. For a lot of them, this is a reality check and will hopefully be a lifelong lesson.

This may be the most well stated post yet. I'm interested to see what comes of this and how much "clout" and written policy written by Ridley will hold up against what seems to be a significant amount of football players.

Make community service during practice time and find alcohol awareness classes in the evening, miss week 1. I'm all for not burning kids, but the stupidity shown with this one is truly advanced.

Cheers,

Busch

Reactions: yesman3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT