ADVERTISEMENT

Qb Will Howard of Downingtown West and Kansas State

He wasn't rated high out of HS with McCord one of the top rated Qbs. Howard nowhere near that. But he's a brute at 6-5, 240ish with a cannon. Decent year at K. St this past season. What definitely separates them is his running ability. No Fields (OSU) but he can get out there.
My knowledge of him was research for college games and not that of a coach. Also in HS per his playing against Central Dauphin in the postseason of 2019. He got the job done with lesser talent at K. State than he'll have at OSU.
Him vs McCord; I guess it depends what measurables you use. Personally always been partial to a big strong tight end like quarterback with a gun who can run. Not the most common of traits in a Qb.

They’re totally different quarterbacks. I think it’s telling that when Howard went into the transfer portal it was Ohio State, USC, Oregon, and Texas A&M as his suitors, where McCord ended up at Syracuse and was contacted by Nebraska, Indiana and Boston College.

Howard is significantly bigger and a run threat, which has been missing from the Ohio State offense. McCord didn’t have the mobility inside or outside the pocket to extend plays, let alone threaten a defense with his legs. I think Devin Brown, who McCord was expected to compete with again in spring ball, brings that element and that is something Ohio State is looking for. Howard is a bigger and two years older version of Brown, which I think is the better comparison. When Brown got hurt for the third time (broken hand in spring ball, now major injuries to both ankles during the season) Ohio State decided they had to go get a more developed and sure thing, because there is no guarantee Brown will ever be healthy.

McCord probably has more upside as a passer - he’s more accurate, arm strength is comparable. But his decision making leaves a lot to be desired and I thought he lacked poise in a way I found surprising (look at the number of intentional groundings, plays like the Penn State strip sack that got called back, how slow he tended to start games and the 1-8 ruts he could he into over long stretches). Howard has started 27 power conference football games, won a conference championship game over a playoff team, and has played in one of the great developmental programs in college football. The numbers tell you he’s more accurate in the 10-20 yard range than McCord, which I think was the biggest missing piece of Ohio State’s offense this year. And there’s also the thought that he could take a Pennix/Nix style leap throwing to the freaks Ohio State has at receiver.

Of course, most of it is risk mitigation, because Ohio State’s coaching staff is coaching for their jobs next year, and I think Howard’s baseline is above McCord’s. The best McCord may be better, but I think after three years, Ohio State doesn’t think that best is ever happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT