ADVERTISEMENT

Parkland 16 - LaSalle 13 (OT) FINAL

Yo House, no ones cryin'. So far, people, and not all La Salle people, have made comments about the officiating. That's all. Games over. Parkland won.

Yo House, no ones cryin'. So far, people, and not all La Salle people, have made comments about the officiating. That's all. Games over. Parkland won.
Got ya, just don't like excuses. Lasalles a great team and had a great season. I feel like everyone is taking away from parklands win. Give those kids their glory.

I have no problem with all the procedure penalties called on La Salle. Parkland was making the La Salle line flinch. I understand that. But the personal fouls?? "First and 41!" Parkland's number 15 was mugging the defensive backs all day to gain position, but that ain't how the refs saw it. You'll forgive me if I don't wish Parkland good luck for a couple of days!

OK I'm over it as much as I can be over it. Good luck to Parkland!! Beat UD!!

House, relax. No one is crying. It was a controversial play/sequence. A lot was on the line. If you saw the play then one can reasonably conclude that it was an iffy call. To that point LS was the better team, right? They were winning. Then a shit call changes that. Basically a gift. It's worthy of discussion.

House, relax. No one is crying. It was a controversial play/sequence. A lot was on the line. If you saw the play then one can reasonably conclude that it was an iffy call. To that point LS was the better team, right? They were winning. Then a shit call changes that. Basically a gift. It's worthy of discussion.
We could what if all night long. What if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle so discuss away. Your not changing my opinion. Parkland was the better team that night and congratulations to them on a big win.

We could what if all night long. What if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle so discuss away. Your not changing my opinion. Parkland was the better team that night and congratulations to them on a big win.

Were you there? If not, then how do you know?

And no one is telling you to change anything. Simply saying that call was sketchy at best, and more than likely a poor one.

Reactions: paul from philly
Were you there? If not, then how do you know?

And no one is telling you to change anything. Simply saying that call was sketchy at best, and more than likely a poor one.
I'm not going to take anything away from parkland. They played a hell of a game and came away with a big W. No excuses, congratulations to those kids

I'm not going to take anything away from parkland. They played a hell of a game and came away with a big W. No excuses, congratulations to those kids

Again, were you there? No one is taking anything away from Parkland. Obviously they competed, played well, etc. The game went to OT. That much is obvious.

I wasn't at the game. So, I can't say how well either team played. However, I did see that replay and it was a poor call. No need to make yourself part of the game at that point.

You werent there either. I don't hear the players from lasalle complaining so I love seeing these grown men doing it. Congrats to lasalle on a great season and good luck to parkland.

You werent there either. I don't hear the players from lasalle complaining so I love seeing these grown men doing it. Congrats to lasalle on a great season and good luck to parkland.

I was there and in my opinion it was a ticky tack call. It didn't need to be made!!

Come on House, when was that last time a player for any team spoke out about the officiating?? Quit trying to prove anything. This is a discussion board. People with opinions.

Come on House, when was that last time a player for any team spoke out about the officiating?? Quit trying to prove anything. This is a discussion board. People with opinions.
That's because they are well coached and know how to lose graciously. Take a page out of their book and do the same. Nothing pisses me off more then someone's team losing and its all the refs fault.

Yea, I wasn't there. I'm not the one saying one team deserved something. I'm commenting on the video that shows a ridiculous call that tremendously influenced the outcome of the game.

Look, I understand there are plenty of calls that have an effect on a game. A game ultimately isn't decided by one or two plays. I get it. But with that said, a bad call on 4th-4 with 2+ minutes left is going to draw more attention.

And how do you know LS players aren't complaining, upset, etc? Not reading it on here doesn't validate you saying that it's not happening.

Then stay pissed off. I could care less. It's opinions!! If you think the PI call wasn't bad, you probably loved the "1st and 41"!! Oh I forgot, you weren't there.

That's because they are well coached and know how to lose graciously. Take a page out of their book and do the same. Nothing pisses me off more then someone's team losing and its all the refs fault.

Who said it was the refs fault?

I'm saying on that particular play a bad call was made and it impacted the outcome.

Seems like We may be getting close to dedicating a whole thread to "we lost," or worse yet, " we lost because of a refs call". In Pauls words," Wha, wha, what happened? " LOL. may be time to "get over yourselves"! A few weeks ago a few people on here showed that some don't know how to win with class. Now you are seeing they don't know how to lose graciously either. And where in the world is that little yesman?? Crickets.....

Who said it was the refs fault?

I'm saying on that particular play a bad call was made and it impacted the outcome.
Seems like We may be getting close to dedicating a whole thread to "we lost," or worse yet, " we lost because of a refs call". In Pauls words," Wha, wha, what happened? " LOL. may be time to "get over yourselves"! A few weeks ago a few people on here showed that some don't know how to win with class. Now you are seeing they don't know how to lose graciously either. And where in the world is that little yesman?? Crickets.....
That's crazy talk. There's no way lasalle could of lost that game. How could they when the refs had it out for them.

Stray thoughts from the game that don't have anything to do with the PI call for those of you who are interested:

-Either Parkland's defensive adjustments worked really well, or LaSalle got too cute offensively. Early on, I thought LaSalle was going to blow them out, when they marched right down the field, then got a interception on the first play and picked up three straight first downs. Parkland was struggling to defend the short passing game and get off the field on third down. But LaSalle got away from the dink-and-dunk and tried to take more shots down the field, without much success. I couldn't tell on TV if that was an adjustment to what Parkland did in coverage, or if they just got away from it. But a switch seemed to flip, and I think after the second drive LaSalle only crossed midfield on the FG drive, and after a facemask penalty just before the last play of regulation.

-The big change was Parkland started bringing pressure/getting a better pass rush from the front 4 so Ferguson couldn't sit back and pick them apart. Ferguson holds onto the ball a while and Parkland did a good job making him uncomfortable as the game wore on. They also kept taking unsuccessful shots downfield, until they hit on the two back-to-back deep balls in the 4th. I think he only completed three passes in the second half, but all three completions came right in a row on the field goal drive. That's showing up when it matters.

-I was wrong about the Parkland d-line vs. the LaSalle o-line match up. LaSalle could barely run the ball (30 carries for 82 yards) largely because they kept getting beat off of the ball and their size never really played a factor.

-As I mentioned on the in-game comments, the Parkland ends were giving them trouble on the edge, and every time LaSalle didn't get the d-end turned inside on that off-tackle run, they'd hook him from behind, which the line judge is looking right at. A lot of times you'll get away with that on the interior or in pass protection when there are bodies all around you, but not when you're the key block on the outside of the formation.

-I get that the line and Madden has been big for you all year, but I wonder if the LaSalle staff could go back and do it again, they wouldn't call runs on two of three plays in OT (both stopped for a loss).

-Sophomore DT Jahan Worth (#1) in particular had a great game for Parkland, and he's going to be a handful going forward (though I bet he moves back to middle linebacker next season). He gave the LaSalle guards a really hard time, he's got great burst and really good hands (wrestler). He also showed off a ridiculous vertical leap for a 220 pound kid on his sack when Jones pump faked and he went airborne, then landed and made the tackle.

-On that play, on replay it looked to me like the ball came out before Jones was down (it pops out as he's twisting down over a defender), but it was close enough that I don't expect a high school ref to make that call (particularly without the aid of replay). Similarly, the diving catch by Yeboah in the back of the end zone in the third quarter could have gone either way (and showed off his absurd catch radius whether or not his leg hit out of bounds).

-Nick Rinella was the best player on the field. He did a little bit of everything (though I'm surprised he didn't get more than six touches offensively) and his contributions defensively were massive. The pick on the first play set the tone, but it was the fourth quarter sack (when Parkland had their best starting field position of the day) that both killed that Parkland drive and swung LaSalle the momentum. I don't think it was an accident that LaSalle's only time moving the ball in the second half came after that play.

-LaSalle's secondary won the battle with Parkland's receivers. The Trojans couldn't hit anything down the field as everything over the top got broken up, and Cross had to check or scramble much more often than he's used to.

-Parkland had long drives, but had to methodically move it downfield, and that precision is tough to sustain, as evidenced by their red zone woes. LaSalle played exceptionally well defensively when Parkland had scoring opportunities. Parkland was inside the 25 on five different drives, but only scored ten points.

-Part of what made them so successful was how well LaSalle tackled. Parkland's only chunk plays came on two underneath drags that got turned upfield for big gains, but both of them were the concept that got the player free, they didn't make anybody miss in the open field. Cross never had a big gain, thanks mostly to how well the linebackers corralled him (particularly Setley, he played a whale of a game).

-It gets lost in the shuffle because of the crazy ending, but the unheralded play of the day was Kenny Yeboah's 12 yard catch on 3rd and 10 to get them down to the 30 (the set of downs before the PI heard round the commonwealth). The hand strength that took to essentially reach out and take it from the d-backs in traffic was impressive, and then he was able to turn it upfield through contact and get to the sticks. Just once I'd like to see him run something other than a hitch or a go, however.

-Devante Cross was not particularly sharp (had they lost, he'd see the 3rd quarter 4th and 6 throw to Panella in his nightmares, because a completion there was a TD, and I'm sure they'll go over end of half clock management this week in practice) but god is he tough. He took a pounding, carrying 28 times and playing every snap on defense. He never quite broke the big run, but outside of the sack I don't think he had a negative carry. He's a fox hole guy.

-I was surprised Parkland only outgained LaSalle by 50 yards considering how many times they were deep in LaSalle territory. I guess they barely touched the ball in the first quarter I think LaSalle outgained them something like 90-15 in the first quarter, but the final yardage was 302-251 Parkland.

-Mike Raczak had an awesome game for LaSalle. He constantly flipped the field in the kicking game, averaging 42 yards per punt and I don't think Parkland had one return.

-The last big play of the game was Parkland's first snap in OT. They ran a trick play where Rigdway took a handoff on a jet sweep, then looked to throw to Yeboah in the end zone. Yeboah was covered, but probably 80 percent of the time, a high school kid will do what the play says and force it up, which probably would have been an INT and ended the game. Instead, Ridgway tucked the ball and reversed field, getting a nice block from Cross and gaining six yards. He dove for the pylon and got awfully close, but stepped out at the 4 before he took off.

-I wonder if they called that to try and catch LaSalle off guard, or because they didn't want Cross throwing the ball. He looked like he got hurt on their drive at the end of regulation, and I wonder if his ability to throw was limited. That would be a major problem next week.

All in all, it was a great, tense football game that by and large, saw a lot of great performances by a lot of different kids, which on this stage is worth recognizing.

Stray thoughts from the game that don't have anything to do with the PI call for those of you who are interested:

-Either Parkland's defensive adjustments worked really well, or LaSalle got too cute offensively. Early on, I thought LaSalle was going to blow them out, when they marched right down the field, then got a interception on the first play and picked up three straight first downs. Parkland was struggling to defend the short passing game and get off the field on third down. But LaSalle got away from the dink-and-dunk and tried to take more shots down the field, without much success. I couldn't tell on TV if that was an adjustment to what Parkland did in coverage, or if they just got away from it. But a switch seemed to flip, and I think after the second drive LaSalle only crossed midfield on the FG drive, and after a facemask penalty just before the last play of regulation.

-The big change was Parkland started bringing pressure/getting a better pass rush from the front 4 so Ferguson couldn't sit back and pick them apart. Ferguson holds onto the ball a while and Parkland did a good job making him uncomfortable as the game wore on. They also kept taking unsuccessful shots downfield, until they hit on the two back-to-back deep balls in the 4th. I think he only completed three passes in the second half, but all three completions came right in a row on the field goal drive. That's showing up when it matters.

-I was wrong about the Parkland d-line vs. the LaSalle o-line match up. LaSalle could barely run the ball (30 carries for 82 yards) largely because they kept getting beat off of the ball and their size never really played a factor.

-As I mentioned on the in-game comments, the Parkland ends were giving them trouble on the edge, and every time LaSalle didn't get the d-end turned inside on that off-tackle run, they'd hook him from behind, which the line judge is looking right at. A lot of times you'll get away with that on the interior or in pass protection when there are bodies all around you, but not when you're the key block on the outside of the formation.

-I get that the line and Madden has been big for you all year, but I wonder if the LaSalle staff could go back and do it again, they wouldn't call runs on two of three plays in OT (both stopped for a loss).

-Sophomore DT Jahan Worth (#1) in particular had a great game for Parkland, and he's going to be a handful going forward (though I bet he moves back to middle linebacker next season). He gave the LaSalle guards a really hard time, he's got great burst and really good hands (wrestler). He also showed off a ridiculous vertical leap for a 220 pound kid on his sack when Jones pump faked and he went airborne, then landed and made the tackle.

-On that play, on replay it looked to me like the ball came out before Jones was down (it pops out as he's twisting down over a defender), but it was close enough that I don't expect a high school ref to make that call (particularly without the aid of replay). Similarly, the diving catch by Yeboah in the back of the end zone in the third quarter could have gone either way (and showed off his absurd catch radius whether or not his leg hit out of bounds).

-Nick Rinella was the best player on the field. He did a little bit of everything (though I'm surprised he didn't get more than six touches offensively) and his contributions defensively were massive. The pick on the first play set the tone, but it was the fourth quarter sack (when Parkland had their best starting field position of the day) that both killed that Parkland drive and swung LaSalle the momentum. I don't think it was an accident that LaSalle's only time moving the ball in the second half came after that play.

-LaSalle's secondary won the battle with Parkland's receivers. The Trojans couldn't hit anything down the field as everything over the top got broken up, and Cross had to check or scramble much more often than he's used to.

-Parkland had long drives, but had to methodically move it downfield, and that precision is tough to sustain, as evidenced by their red zone woes. LaSalle played exceptionally well defensively when Parkland had scoring opportunities. Parkland was inside the 25 on five different drives, but only scored ten points.

-Part of what made them so successful was how well LaSalle tackled. Parkland's only chunk plays came on two underneath drags that got turned upfield for big gains, but both of them were the concept that got the player free, they didn't make anybody miss in the open field. Cross never had a big gain, thanks mostly to how well the linebackers corralled him (particularly Setley, he played a whale of a game).

-It gets lost in the shuffle because of the crazy ending, but the unheralded play of the day was Kenny Yeboah's 12 yard catch on 3rd and 10 to get them down to the 30 (the set of downs before the PI heard round the commonwealth). The hand strength that took to essentially reach out and take it from the d-backs in traffic was impressive, and then he was able to turn it upfield through contact and get to the sticks. Just once I'd like to see him run something other than a hitch or a go, however.

-Devante Cross was not particularly sharp (had they lost, he'd see the 3rd quarter 4th and 6 throw to Panella in his nightmares, because a completion there was a TD, and I'm sure they'll go over end of half clock management this week in practice) but god is he tough. He took a pounding, carrying 28 times and playing every snap on defense. He never quite broke the big run, but outside of the sack I don't think he had a negative carry. He's a fox hole guy.

-I was surprised Parkland only outgained LaSalle by 50 yards considering how many times they were deep in LaSalle territory. I guess they barely touched the ball in the first quarter I think LaSalle outgained them something like 90-15 in the first quarter, but the final yardage was 302-251 Parkland.

-Mike Raczak had an awesome game for LaSalle. He constantly flipped the field in the kicking game, averaging 42 yards per punt and I don't think Parkland had one return.

-The last big play of the game was Parkland's first snap in OT. They ran a trick play where Rigdway took a handoff on a jet sweep, then looked to throw to Yeboah in the end zone. Yeboah was covered, but probably 80 percent of the time, a high school kid will do what the play says and force it up, which probably would have been an INT and ended the game. Instead, Ridgway tucked the ball and reversed field, getting a nice block from Cross and gaining six yards. He dove for the pylon and got awfully close, but stepped out at the 4 before he took off.

-I wonder if they called that to try and catch LaSalle off guard, or because they didn't want Cross throwing the ball. He looked like he got hurt on their drive at the end of regulation, and I wonder if his ability to throw was limited. That would be a major problem next week.

All in all, it was a great, tense football game that by and large, saw a lot of great performances by a lot of different kids, which on this stage is worth recognizing.
Great break down of the game

Really great review of the game. I think you have been a real asset here with your overviews and recaps during the year . I appreciate all you have done . Thanks

Reactions: EPC FAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT