ADVERTISEMENT

Pa Big 33 game roster

Where are all those super star recruits from st Joe prep ??
Two former McD players Bridgeman /Imhotep and Lyons /Roman Big 33 selctions ,not too shabby for a school that closed due to enrollment .

The big 33 isn't what it use to be. The top prospects in the state don't play anymore because colleges won't let them play in fear they get hurt. Plus sjp didn't have many seniors. They were mostly underclassmen.
Its definitely changed for the worse but still a forum to show your stuff and good time/experience for the guys. But it's nowhere near the days when it was Ohio vs Pa, morphing to Md vs Pa.

Reactions: lilromeo
No Marcus Dixon from Wood? Not one player from SJP, not one?
There have often been players from SJP in the game, but last year's senior class was fairly small. Trotter and Niles are unavailable. Not sure about the other guys, but since you're noting where players are and are not coming from I see that no one from Southern Columbia, Garnet Valley or the whole of the Inter-Ac is on the team. There is a total of one from the whole PCL and--though I'm not sure I can identify every school in the Lehigh Valley--it looks like there are all of two from there and none at all from NE PA. District One, given its size, appears quite under-represented. On the other hand, quite a few players from the WPIAL and south central PA will be on the team. The latter must have something to do with where the game is played.

Reactions: lilromeo
The big 33 isn't nearly what it was back in the day. St Joe's prep is a bigger all star team then the big 33 rosters of recent. Congrats though to the kids that did make the roster.

The big 33 isn't nearly what it was back in the day. St Joe's prep is a bigger all star team then the big 33 rosters of recent. Congrats though to the kids that did make the roster.
I agree. There used to be a spring / early summer all-star game in Philly between players from the public league and players from private (including Catholic) schools, but I'm not sure that's been played since Covid. Several SJP guys played in it.

So much has changed, including the number of players who are going early to their colleges. That must have a big impact on the Big 33 game.

I agree. There used to be a spring / early summer all-star game in Philly between players from the public league and players from private (including Catholic) schools, but I'm not sure that's been played since Covid. Several SJP guys played in it.

So much has changed, including the number of players who are going early to their colleges. That must have a big impact on the Big 33 game.
Tulla back In the day it was always the best players playing in it. I credit the top players that still make it a point to play and that doesn't happen often anymore. I know Miles Sanders was the #1 running back in the country and still played in it.

Unreal what hs football has become. I know this AAU-type mentality has probably been reality down south (TX, FL) for a long time, but feels like in the last ten years SE Pennsylvania football has suffered bc of these trends…
It’s a top down effect. Pros used to play in pro bowl. College players used to play in bowl games. Now, the HS level is watered down from the same effect. Follow the perceived money trail. It will continue now that NIL is acknowledged by PIAA. It’s also what’s driving the limitation on competition and football is a dwindling sport. Now that pros are flag in pro bowl and NFL pushing flag league for women (I’m not hating), it’s bound to trickle down.

PA doesn't have the overall talent it used to have as the Big 33 roster has proven over the past few years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT