ADVERTISEMENT

Eight Grader Commits to Bergen Catholic

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/8970366922647486274/josh-mckenzie-no-1-rated-wrestler-football-player-selects-bergen-catholic-for-high-school/

A lot to unpack in this article. The first signing day-sequel article I've seen for an 8th grader in a major paper.

And where were the PCL schools on this one? Wood, LaSalle, and Prep are all closer to Wall Township than Bergen Catholic.

also noted inthe articvle that he repeated 8th grade this year and is already 15 years old. This used to be a common practice down south to get older kids i.e. more mature kids, playing at the high school. Depending on his birthdate, he will be at least 19, maybe 20 when he graduates and not eligible under current PIAA rules. And, without seeing him play or wrestle, he may just be a physically strong 15 yr old kid competing against 13 and 14 yr old kids.

The fact that there's even an article about it is ridiculous... Then again Rivals has started making profiles for 6th graders so I guess that make everything okay smh...

The fact there is an article isn't even the worst part, the extensive quotes from the "talent scout" who has a full recruiting profile of the kid. Or the paragraph on "he chose Bergen over..." like a signing day hat ceremony. Or the fact that it's a 160 miles round trip from Wall Township to Bergen Catholic! I wish the young man luck and he certainly sounds like a good athlete, but this is such a "what's wrong with high school sports" article.

I love high school football, but it is very hard to keep following the sport. The lack of integrity in ADULTS is amazing. I predict that the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference will expel both Bethlehem Catholic and Allentown Central Catholic within the span of the next two or three years.

This is not the PCL. There are specific rules that must be followed. Neither Becahi nor CCHS follow the rules in different sports. Becahi basically tells the conference 'bleep you, we'll do what we want to do,' while CCHS does it in basketball. If you look at the student body and then look at the basketball roster, you will see the discrepancy in the two. There is no question but that kids are being brought into the school specifically for basketball.

There are some kids who are being wooed to leave their schools and matriculate at both Catholic schools. If any of them do so, it will set off the expulsion talk.

Full disclosure. I have had one kid graduate from a Catholic school, one from a public school. I know a lot of fine people from the Catholic high school, so I wouldn't want them to be expelled. I'm just telling you that the atmosphere is pretty toxic again inside the conference.

The Diocese of Allentown has stated publicly that the fate of one school will be the fate of both schools. They are tied together. Unless they want to hope to be admitted to the PCL and spend the money travelling for all the different sports, they should tone themselves down.

We've now gone from the EPC to the EPC/MVC to the LVC to a merger of the LVC/MVC into the new EPC. These schools would not hesitate to disband and reform without the Catholic Schools. Anyone who doesn't believe they can do it, just need to look at how long Pius X of Roseto was kept from membership in the Colonial League. That school is now closing.

EPC FAN, Thanks for the info on the situation in your District. I didn't realize there were new issues rising with Beca and ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT