ADVERTISEMENT

Easton Hires Matt Senneca

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
News is breaking that Easton is hiring Matt Senneca as their next head football coach, pending School Board approval at Tuesday's meeting. Senneca resigned in November after four year stint as the head coach at Whitehall, and has a state championship ring from his time as the quarterbacks coach at Liberty.

Senneca is woven into the fabric of Lehigh Valley football. His father, Sam Senneca, was an outstanding defensive tackle for Nazareth and NC State, then was the longtime coach at Freedom High School before teaming with Jim Morgans at Allentown Central Catholic for their run of dominance in the 1990s. The end of the elder Senneca's coaching career included Matt's three year reign at quarterback, where he went 32-6 as a starter, made a state final 4 and had a pair of D11 titles. He was an AP All State pick in 1997 and quarterbacked Pennsylvania in the Big 33 game. He was Tom Lemming's #20 quarterback nationally in the class of 1998 and signed with Penn State. Senneca was Penn State's starter as a redshirt junior, starting the opener and seven other games that year, but ultimately lost out on the QB1 role to Zack Mills.

Senneca came back to Lehigh Valley and joined Tim Moncman's staff at Liberty in 2002, first as the quarterbacks coach then adding offensive coordinator to his plate. Senneca mentored the Hurricane QBs from 2002-2009, an unprecedented run at Liberty that included state finals trips in 2005 and 2006 and a state title in 2008. That run was of course led by AP Player of the Year quarterbacks Dan Persa and Anthony Gonzalez, who both Senneca's star pupils. Following Moncman's resignation at Liberty, Senneca joined Jim Morgans's staff at Parkland, where he was the quarterbacks coach, then as the wide receivers coach at Moravian.

Senneca's first head coaching job came at Wilson. He took over the Warriors after the first 0-10 season and a three year stretch of 5-25. However, Senneca did not get the ship righted in two seasons, and left with a 3-17 record. He resigned at Wilson to go back and work for Harold Fairclough, where he was the offensive coordinator for the first two conference championships in school history, and they went 28-8 with Senneca running the offense. He replaced Brian Gilbert as the Whitehall head coach in 2018.

Senneca took over a Whitehall team that went 2-8 the season before he arrived. Things bottomed out in his first year, going 0-10 in 2019. But in 2020, the Zephyrs won the D11 5A classification during the COVID shortened season. They took a step back in 2021, going 4-7 and were picked dead last in the East Penn Conference last fall. But the Zephyrs surprised everybody, beating D11 6A champs Parkland and 4A champs Allentown Central Catholic during the regular season, and then outscored their opponents 77-30 on their way to their second 5A title in three years. They followed that up with a 34-13 state playoff win over Delaware Valley before bowing out against Imhotep Charter. Senneca finished 17-26 at Whitehall, with a pair of D11 titles and the only state playoff win in school history. In November, Senneca announced that he was resigning his position at Whitehall to spend more time with his family.
---
There's a lot to Senneca here. He's been incredibly successful as a coordinator - he's coached for probably the three best coaches in the Lehigh Valley this century and been a key cog in the success for all three. He's obviously developed a network of football knowledge and been in meeting rooms and on the field with great football minds both as a coach and as a player. He had a disastrous stint at Wilson, but as a 31 year old head coach, he's openly said he wasn't ready for the job. The Whitehall run is tough to read. Whitehall is the smallest public school in the EPC South and the only one that doesn't compete in 6A. A pair of state playoff trips there is no small feat - because having a strong enough regular season to get a district bid is not guaranteed given the enrollment discrepancies at Whitehall.

Taking a team expected to finish dead last and winning a state playoff game this year was a bid deal for his stock as a head coach in my eyes. He's still just 42 and has a lot more coaching in front of him than behind him. And at Easton, he should never ben at a talent disadvantage locally with the numbers, feeders, and tradition at Easton, unlike what he had at both Wilson and Whitehall. He's definitely got to rebuild culture - this is a vastly different program than what Steve Shiffert left in 2016. First order of business will be restoring some of the lost toughness and discipline that they were long known for. His reputation as a quarterback developer, and what he can do with X's and O's as far as the spread-run stuff he's done since Liberty will be welcomed at Easton - it's something they've never had. He'll need to find a DC who has vision and substance on that side of the ball. I think his dad is finally retired after spending time with him at Whitehall, and Kyle Beller has been interviewing for other head coaching jobs, so he'll be looking for somebody new. My bet is on somebody from the Moncman or Morgans tree that he's worked with. I doubt he retains much of the former staff - I'd guess Kevin Morton stays in some capacity on offense, and maybe a Jeff Staton or Bob Stroble as an alum with serious outside Easton football experience. But it's going to be a new day, which is what the program needs.

My initial reaction is if they couldn't or didn't make Moncman or Fairclough happen, Senneca was the best name on the board in the Valley. I know he hasn't fully hit his stride as a head coach, but it seems like all the pieces are there, and he's never been in a situation this good, no matter how dire 3-8 was last year for the Rovers. Given the amount of sophomores that played last year, I'd say the immediate expectation is they are vastly improved in 2023 and are right back in the thick of things by 2024. They are now eight years past their last D11 final and twelve years past their last state playoff appearance. Expectations will be for that to change quickly if Senneca lives up to his pedigree.

• Haha
Reactions: EPC FAN
News is breaking that Easton is hiring Matt Senneca as their next head football coach, pending School Board approval at Tuesday's meeting. Senneca resigned in November after four year stint as the head coach at Whitehall, and has a state championship ring from his time as the quarterbacks coach at Liberty.

Senneca is woven into the fabric of Lehigh Valley football. His father, Sam Senneca, was an outstanding defensive tackle for Nazareth and NC State, then was the longtime coach at Freedom High School before teaming with Jim Morgans at Allentown Central Catholic for their run of dominance in the 1990s. The end of the elder Senneca's coaching career included Matt's three year reign at quarterback, where he went 32-6 as a starter, made a state final 4 and had a pair of D11 titles. He was an AP All State pick in 1997 and quarterbacked Pennsylvania in the Big 33 game. He was Tom Lemming's #20 quarterback nationally in the class of 1998 and signed with Penn State. Senneca was Penn State's starter as a redshirt junior, starting the opener and seven other games that year, but ultimately lost out on the QB1 role to Zack Mills.

Senneca came back to Lehigh Valley and joined Tim Moncman's staff at Liberty in 2002, first as the quarterbacks coach then adding offensive coordinator to his plate. Senneca mentored the Hurricane QBs from 2002-2009, an unprecedented run at Liberty that included state finals trips in 2005 and 2006 and a state title in 2008. That run was of course led by AP Player of the Year quarterbacks Dan Persa and Anthony Gonzalez, who both Senneca's star pupils. Following Moncman's resignation at Liberty, Senneca joined Jim Morgans's staff at Parkland, where he was the quarterbacks coach, then as the wide receivers coach at Moravian.

Senneca's first head coaching job came at Wilson. He took over the Warriors after the first 0-10 season and a three year stretch of 5-25. However, Senneca did not get the ship righted in two seasons, and left with a 3-17 record. He resigned at Wilson to go back and work for Harold Fairclough, where he was the offensive coordinator for the first two conference championships in school history, and they went 28-8 with Senneca running the offense. He replaced Brian Gilbert as the Whitehall head coach in 2018.

Senneca took over a Whitehall team that went 2-8 the season before he arrived. Things bottomed out in his first year, going 0-10 in 2019. But in 2020, the Zephyrs won the D11 5A classification during the COVID shortened season. They took a step back in 2021, going 4-7 and were picked dead last in the East Penn Conference last fall. But the Zephyrs surprised everybody, beating D11 6A champs Parkland and 4A champs Allentown Central Catholic during the regular season, and then outscored their opponents 77-30 on their way to their second 5A title in three years. They followed that up with a 34-13 state playoff win over Delaware Valley before bowing out against Imhotep Charter. Senneca finished 17-26 at Whitehall, with a pair of D11 titles and the only state playoff win in school history. In November, Senneca announced that he was resigning his position at Whitehall to spend more time with his family.
---
There's a lot to Senneca here. He's been incredibly successful as a coordinator - he's coached for probably the three best coaches in the Lehigh Valley this century and been a key cog in the success for all three. He's obviously developed a network of football knowledge and been in meeting rooms and on the field with great football minds both as a coach and as a player. He had a disastrous stint at Wilson, but as a 31 year old head coach, he's openly said he wasn't ready for the job. The Whitehall run is tough to read. Whitehall is the smallest public school in the EPC South and the only one that doesn't compete in 6A. A pair of state playoff trips there is no small feat - because having a strong enough regular season to get a district bid is not guaranteed given the enrollment discrepancies at Whitehall.

Taking a team expected to finish dead last and winning a state playoff game this year was a bid deal for his stock as a head coach in my eyes. He's still just 42 and has a lot more coaching in front of him than behind him. And at Easton, he should never ben at a talent disadvantage locally with the numbers, feeders, and tradition at Easton, unlike what he had at both Wilson and Whitehall. He's definitely got to rebuild culture - this is a vastly different program than what Steve Shiffert left in 2016. First order of business will be restoring some of the lost toughness and discipline that they were long known for. His reputation as a quarterback developer, and what he can do with X's and O's as far as the spread-run stuff he's done since Liberty will be welcomed at Easton - it's something they've never had. He'll need to find a DC who has vision and substance on that side of the ball. I think his dad is finally retired after spending time with him at Whitehall, and Kyle Beller has been interviewing for other head coaching jobs, so he'll be looking for somebody new. My bet is on somebody from the Moncman or Morgans tree that he's worked with. I doubt he retains much of the former staff - I'd guess Kevin Morton stays in some capacity on offense, and maybe a Jeff Staton or Bob Stroble as an alum with serious outside Easton football experience. But it's going to be a new day, which is what the program needs.

My initial reaction is if they couldn't or didn't make Moncman or Fairclough happen, Senneca was the best name on the board in the Valley. I know he hasn't fully hit his stride as a head coach, but it seems like all the pieces are there, and he's never been in a situation this good, no matter how dire 3-8 was last year for the Rovers. Given the amount of sophomores that played last year, I'd say the immediate expectation is they are vastly improved in 2023 and are right back in the thick of things by 2024. They are now eight years past their last D11 final and twelve years past their last state playoff appearance. Expectations will be for that to change quickly if Senneca lives up to his pedigree.
Integrity should never be in the same sentence as high school football coach.
, "I just realized I needed to be home more and be able to give more time to my family at this point. The off season demand just became too much time away from my family" the former coach said in a statement.

Integrity should never be in the same sentence as high school football coach.
, "I just realized I needed to be home more and be able to give more time to my family at this point. The off season demand just became too much time away from my family" the former coach said in a statement.
The Urban Meyer move is not a good look. I took him at face value and didn’t think he was on the board.

I also found him flirting with the Liberty job after one year at Whitehall was a bad look.

From above:
However, Senneca did not get the ship righted in two seasons, and left with a 3-17 record.
Senneca finished 17-26 at Whitehall

They definitely made him co-coordinator with DeNofa at the end of his Liberty tenure.

I had a million text conversations last night, and not totally sure where I fall. He has not been a wild success as a head coach. Wilson was awful, full stop. Took over at a bad time, but it certainly didn’t get better. The wrap I heard was the ego is huge and he couldn’t take criticism - that’s not going to play at Easton. I also think you can grow up over ten years. And again, tricky program to evaluate, Wilson is as weird a school district as you’ll find.

I don’t know what to make of Whitehall, EPC would have a better evaluation. There’s really good and there’s stuff that makes you scratch your head. I don’t know how much of his record is personnel and being the only 5A school in a 6A league, or how much is he hasn’t totally figured out what he is as a head coach.

I think it’s very possible that he’s a monster success at Easton. I think the size of the school and general embrace of football means that his knowledge of the game might carry him. But he is absolutely in prove it mode, not “here we go”. I’m most encouraged that it’s something different - this is the first time they didn’t promote an assistant to head coach since 1947 (though Wayne Grube, Bob Shriver, and Steve Shiffert all certainly worked).

And I’m the opposite, I’m the biggest Shiffert defender you’ll find on the internet, and yes, the grass is not greener.

From above:
However, Senneca did not get the ship righted in two seasons, and left with a 3-17 record.
Senneca finished 17-26 at Whitehall

They definitely made him co-coordinator with DeNofa at the end of his Liberty tenure.

I had a million text conversations last night, and not totally sure where I fall. He has not been a wild success as a head coach. Wilson was awful, full stop. Took over at a bad time, but it certainly didn’t get better. The wrap I heard was the ego is huge and he couldn’t take criticism - that’s not going to play at Easton. I also think you can grow up over ten years. And again, tricky program to evaluate, Wilson is as weird a school district as you’ll find.

I don’t know what to make of Whitehall, EPC would have a better evaluation. There’s really good and there’s stuff that makes you scratch your head. I don’t know how much of his record is personnel and being the only 5A school in a 6A league, or how much is he hasn’t totally figured out what he is as a head coach.

I think it’s very possible that he’s a monster success at Easton. I think the size of the school and general embrace of football means that his knowledge of the game might carry him. But he is absolutely in prove it mode, not “here we go”. I’m most encouraged that it’s something different - this is the first time they didn’t promote an assistant to head coach since 1947 (though Wayne Grube, Bob Shriver, and Steve Shiffert all certainly worked).

And I’m the opposite, I’m the biggest Shiffert defender you’ll find on the internet, and yes, the grass is not greener.
Hindsight is always 20/20. The Shiffert situation, as you well know, was more than just his coaching style. This change will be very interesting to watch, New Coach, and more importantly New AD ( who I hope, takes his job more seriously than former.)

I mean, at the end of the day, Steve got fired for not being good enough to win a state title, and being prickly. I know it got trotted out the “he doesn’t do enough to get kids recruited” but that’s pretext for “people don’t like him”. And when he got put on a performance improvement plan after 30 years at the school, he said “I’m not doing this” and they fired him the next day.

I’ve written a ton on the subject, but they did need to manage Steve’s exit. If their conclusion was, Steve had taken the program the highest he can, and we’d like it to go higher, that is a justifiable decision. But then the plan had to be to end up with somebody like Moncman, etc back in 2016 who could do that. Not Shiffert’s JV coach. That just shows me you didn’t have a plan. But we’ve moved on, and the new phase is going to be fascinating to watch play out.

Reactions: lilromeo
Rover- interesting stuff- I tried to read the other threads, so apologies if I missed it- but where is this Moncman? Did he leave a job, or only rumored to have been considering the Easton opening?

Also- this new HC selection- Senneca- I found your summary of his background in playing and coaching- but what is his current "day job?" I assume he will have juggle some other full time job, while trying to build back the Easton FB program.

Rover- interesting stuff- I tried to read the other threads, so apologies if I missed it- but where is this Moncman? Did he leave a job, or only rumored to have been considering the Easton opening?

Also- this new HC selection- Senneca- I found your summary of his background in playing and coaching- but what is his current "day job?" I assume he will have juggle some other full time job, while trying to build back the Easton FB program.
Moncman is the head coach at Parkland, and has been since 2016. Before Parkland, he was the head coach at Liberty that won the state in 2008 and went to finals in 2005 and 2006.

Senneca is a middle school teacher in Bethlehem Schools - I think at Nitschman Middle School? I’m assuming he’ll get a teaching job at Easton, but maybe not based on other posts? He’s been in Bethlehem since he was a coach there.

I'm interested in this topic, Rover, if I recall, cuz i think you said Easton has the potential to be a "bigger and better 6A program?"

ok- Rover- I've done some googling and reading- you open to some feedback to this hire? I just ask, cuz I got negative blowback on comments previously, from other Philly/Eastern Pa folks on this site- I'm not interested in getting screamed at

and- are you an Easton grad, or just a fan/supporter?

I'm interested in this topic, Rover, if I recall, cuz i think you said Easton has the potential to be a "bigger and better 6A program?"

ok- Rover- I've done some googling and reading- you open to some feedback to this hire? I just ask, cuz I got negative blowback on comments previously, from other Philly/Eastern Pa folks on this site- I'm not interested in getting screamed at

and- are you an Easton grad, or just a fan/supporter?
I’m an alum, football was not my primary sport (I played something else in college), but my siblings and I were all Easton athletes, and the football program as an institution is something I care deeply about. I’m not afraid to be critical of my Alma mater - I joked during the Billman stuff that I was going to get my picture ripped down from the athletic facilities.

I don’t think I have a reputation as a screamer on here? I like the banter, I don’t get to write in my day job as much as I used to, so it’s practice for some of those muscles. But by and large, it’s not that serious. Others may disagree.

I’d be interested in feedback - I’m not totally sure how i feel. Frankly, Senneca is a last name that holds weight in LV football and that probably colors some initial positivity. There’s a chance Senneca is just a valuable assistant and doesn’t have what it takes.

My theory of the case on them being one of the better 6A programs is not that they were awesome in the 60s or late 80s, nobody cares. But, their run from 1999-2014 was:
1999: 9-3, D11 Finals - lost by 1 to the team that was beating state champ CB West late into the 4th quarter
2000: 8-4. D11 Finals
2001: 11-1, D11 Finals
2002: 5-6
2003: 12-3, State Final 4
2004: 13-1, State Final 4
2005: 8-4, D11 Finals - lost to state finalist
2006: 12-2, D11 Finals - lost to state finalist
2007: 8-5
2008: 6-6
2009: 13-2, State Quarters - lost to state champ by a field goal
2010: 12-3, State Quarters - lost to state finalist
2011: 12-2, D11 Finals
2012: 10-2
2013: 12-2, D11 Finals
2014: 12-2, D11 Finals, lost in OT to a team that lost to SJP by 3

And that’s all with a coach people would tell you was stuck totally in the Stone Age and ran 5 plays, one of which was a pass. If Matt Senneca or whoever can elevate those results above schematically, the next level is being a school that can challenge to do some things.

The last time around, I had a strong opinion that they should have hired Matt Evancho. This time I’m totally all over the place.

ok, Rover- yes i agree, your posts and comments are great- the screamers are other guys- banter is fun- but insults at each other are not fun

So my thoughts in order
1) If they want to become a bigger better program, Easton's gotta break away from the local rivalry game- that cannot be "more important" than the state playoffs- i understand the tradition aspect- but from a distance, it seems to hurt the program, and most likely hurts kids opportunities for playoffs, championships and college opportunities. Maybe keep it just change- have couple kids set aside for that game? Now- maybe- is this a sign- hiring a non-Easton guy- are they gonna break away from that game? Might a good thing in the big picture, imo

2) From reading about Senneca- it looks he is a "good but not great hire" maybe "vanilla." From his playing days, to his coaching days, he looks like he was a big fish, then a smaller fish- and now he wants to be a bigger fish. He is a middle school computer teacher- he has been at Bethlehem for like 17 years, and does not make a whole lot of money. My guess, is he might have Switched HC jobs to make 12 thousand instead of 9 thousand. That is not good motivation- high school coaches should not be strongly motivated by $. Easton is a big school, Bethlehem SD is an even bigger school system- again- Senneca looks like a "small fish" in comparison

3) From looking at Easton's football website and social media presence, they have a long way to go to become a big-time program. They are a big school, with lots of great history- should have lots of resources? But no real success in state playoffs in the last 3 years- and just revealed- Big 33- i looked- for 3 years, zero Easton kids named. not good

4) Senneca's HC record- not good- his team this year at Whitehall? They got crushed by Imotep- 55-7? Wow- tht is really not good- from a distance- not the sign of a guy who should get a "bigger and better job?" im a Pine-Richland guy- imotep was not a great team- talented yes, but they were probably not in the top 3 best opponents we faced this year

U r stating this as fact. The FACT is this is 100% untrue. He was never more than a qb coach under Moncman and if you knew anything about the coach the Rovers so deeply desired you would KNOW that he would never allow M.S. near that role.

You are getting closer with your statements about his ego and work ethic though.... sniff around those bread crumbs and you will find out all you need to know!
I was wrong - he was not the OC in 2008. From the Express-Times article when he got hired at Wilson:
“Senneca coached the quarterbacks at Liberty High School for six seasons, including the state championship season in 2008, when the Hurricanes defeated Bethel Park 28-21 in overtime for the championship at HersheyPark Stadium.

Liberty's quarterback was Anthony Gonzalez, the PIAA Class AAAA Player of the Year who is a starting linebacker at the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to that, Senneca tutored Dan Persa, who went on to star at Northwestern.

Senneca also served as the Hurricanes' co-offensive coordinator in 2009. He coached quarterbacks at Parkland for two seasons. After taking a year off, he spent last season coaching the wide receivers at Moravian College.”

Apologies for the inaccuracy.

Tim and I are both Lafayette guys, I know him enough to say hi, how’s the family. We don’t hang out. He knows my old man very well from when he played college football, that’s usually how conversation steers when I run into him.

I’m not disagreeing that ending up with Senneca instead of Moncman is a disappointment, and the general consensus around Senneca, particularly people who dealt with him when he was at Wilson is “he’s a dick”. He seems to have more positive reception at Whitehall - I know one former very good Easton player who has his kids in the Whitehall system and was devastated that Senneca’s moving on (and is joking about moving back to South Side). I also don’t know what that reception will look like now that he’s left.

I see a world where this doesn’t work at all. But unlike the Braido hire, I don’t think this is dead on arrival. I do think there’s a chance that Senneca really pops. He knows the game, and he’s got deep connections in Valley football. I’d like to see things like him bringing Frank Lane onto the coaching staff, hiring a DC who is adept at scheming against spread offenses, and making a splash with what he does on the offensive line. And if by year three where an 8-2 regular season is a so-so year, he hasn’t met expectations. I also don’t think he’s going to stick around if it’s not working.

ok, Rover- yes i agree, your posts and comments are great- the screamers are other guys- banter is fun- but insults at each other are not fun

So my thoughts in order
1) If they want to become a bigger better program, Easton's gotta break away from the local rivalry game- that cannot be "more important" than the state playoffs- i understand the tradition aspect- but from a distance, it seems to hurt the program, and most likely hurts kids opportunities for playoffs, championships and college opportunities. Maybe keep it just change- have couple kids set aside for that game? Now- maybe- is this a sign- hiring a non-Easton guy- are they gonna break away from that game? Might a good thing in the big picture, imo

2) From reading about Senneca- it looks he is a "good but not great hire" maybe "vanilla." From his playing days, to his coaching days, he looks like he was a big fish, then a smaller fish- and now he wants to be a bigger fish. He is a middle school computer teacher- he has been at Bethlehem for like 17 years, and does not make a whole lot of money. My guess, is he might have Switched HC jobs to make 12 thousand instead of 9 thousand. That is not good motivation- high school coaches should not be strongly motivated by $. Easton is a big school, Bethlehem SD is an even bigger school system- again- Senneca looks like a "small fish" in comparison

3) From looking at Easton's football website and social media presence, they have a long way to go to become a big-time program. They are a big school, with lots of great history- should have lots of resources? But no real success in state playoffs in the last 3 years- and just revealed- Big 33- i looked- for 3 years, zero Easton kids named. not good

4) Senneca's HC record- not good- his team this year at Whitehall? They got crushed by Imotep- 55-7? Wow- tht is really not good- from a distance- not the sign of a guy who should get a "bigger and better job?" im a Pine-Richland guy- imotep was not a great team- talented yes, but they were probably not in the top 3 best opponents we faced this year
Thanks for the thoughts, I’ll address:
1.) I think you don’t totally get P’Burg, which isn’t unusual. On the whole, the game helps. The draw and tradition of that game is what makes football important in the city in the first place. I think the reason Easton continues to have three large feeder programs, 120 kids coming out for football, sells close to 1,000 season tickets every year is because of the excitement Thanksgiving creates. Every boy in Easton wants to play football, and that game is a big part of that, particularly for little kids you’re getting hooked in pee-wees. In terms of it interfering with a state championship run, it happened six times in a nine year span, but (unfortunately) that’s been out of mind since. I actually think the “3 in 8” excitement in 03 and 04 helped fuel a lot of the successful runs in 09 and 10 and the very good teams from 11-14. All of those players were little kids when 03 and 04 happened. 04 in particular was magical in winning both P’Burg and a state playoff game in the same weekend.

2) Senneca teaches in BASD because he’s a scholastic football coach. I don’t think his profession is something to read into this at all. Going back to ego, I think he has one, and sees himself running a program like his dad a Jim Morgans ran in the 90s (two state championships, five final fours). Easton, despite recent results, is the marquee job in D11, I don’t think you’d get a ton of argument. Of the 6A schools, Parkland has had more success since Snisack, but I think the cache of the job tilts to Easton. That’s why Senneca took it. It’s be like taking Neshaminy, Gateway, Aliquippa, Cumberland Valley, Penn Hills, etc.

3) They’ve objectively sucked since 2016 - hence the new coach. This isn’t a quick fix, leveling up a currently healthy program (the the coaching job would have been if they didn’t screw up the last hire). You’re a PR guy, this is taking over the PR job in 2010 after that big run of sub-.500 seasons, not currently. It’s probably most analogous to Ortega taking over Coatesville. This isn’t a “can they make state playoffs in 2023” this is “can they be in a position to win state playoff games in 2026.” The last six years have been bad - it’s the worst stretch at Easton since pre-WWII. This kind of floundering has been the exception, not the rule. The last time they had a season under .500 pre-Braido, they went to back to back state final fours the two years after.

4) On his record - it’s weighed down by him taking the Wilson job. Yes, they won a state championship in 2006, but they were 5-25 the three years before he got there, and 20-51 with multiple winless seasons since he left. Similarly, the team he inherited when 0-10 his first year at Whitehall. They did go from winless to district champs in a year. That said, the record is bad, and even with context, he’s in “prove it” mode right away. On Imhotep, Whitehall is not a school set up to challenge them - monster talent disparity - even when they had Saquon playing with an FCS quarterback, they didn’t have the depth to play for a state title (particularly when they were one or the smallest 4As at the time). The better benchmark game for them was blowing out Allentown Central Catholic, who was in the 4A state final four. They also played up and beat the D11 6A champ. Frankly, the biggest negative at Whitehall was not being in more of a position to play for an EPC title in 2021 when they brought a lot back from the 2020 team. And they blew a big lead in the 5A district final preventing them from winning three straight. Whitehall is about the size of Plum, so imagine them playing in the WPIAL 6A conference during the season, but it has 7 teams, plus a diet ECP as a smaller than 6aa private school in the league depending on if ACC or Becahi has it going. It’s a weirdly positioned job. The next smallest school public school in their conference has 200 boys then them, and most of the league has 600 more.

1.) I think you don’t totally get P’Burg, which isn’t unusual. On the whole, the game helps. The draw and tradition of that game is what makes football important in the city in the first place. I think the reason Easton continues to have three large feeder programs, 120 kids coming out for football, sells close to 1,000 season tickets every year is because of the excitement Thanksgiving creates. Every boy in Easton wants to play football, and that game is a big part of that, particularly for little kids you’re getting hooked in pee-wees. In terms of it interfering with a state championship run, it happened six times in a nine year span, but (unfortunately) that’s been out of mind since. I actually think the “3 in 8” excitement in 03 and 04 helped fuel a lot of the successful runs in 09 and 10 and the very good teams from 11-14. All of those players were little kids when 03 and 04 happened. 04 in particular was magical in winning both P’Burg and a state playoff game in the same weekend.

2) Senneca teaches in BASD because he’s a scholastic football coach. I don’t think his profession is something to read into this at all. Going back to ego, I think he has one, and sees himself running a program like his dad a Jim Morgans ran in the 90s (two state championships, five final fours). Easton, despite recent results, is the marquee job in D11, I don’t think you’d get a ton of argument. Of the 6A schools, Parkland has had more success since Snisack, but I think the cache of the job tilts to Easton. That’s why Senneca took it. It’s be like taking Neshaminy, Gateway, Aliquippa, Cumberland Valley, Penn Hills, etc.

3) They’ve objectively sucked since 2016 - hence the new coach. This isn’t a quick fix, leveling up a currently healthy program (the the coaching job would have been if they didn’t screw up the last hire). You’re a PR guy, this is taking over the PR job in 2010 after that big run of sub-.500 seasons, not currently. It’s probably most analogous to Ortega taking over Coatesville. This isn’t a “can they make state playoffs in 2023” this is “can they be in a position to win state playoff games in 2026.” The last six years have been bad - it’s the worst stretch at Easton since pre-WWII. This kind of floundering has been the exception, not the rule. The last time they had a season under .500 pre-Braido, they went to back to back state final fours the two years after.

4) On his record - it’s weighed down by him taking the Wilson job. Yes, they won a state championship in 2006, but they were 5-25 the three years before he got there, and 20-51 with multiple winless seasons since he left. Similarly, the team he inherited when 0-10 his first year at Whitehall. They did go from winless to district champs in a year. That said, the record is bad, and even with context, he’s in “prove it” mode right away. On Imhotep, Whitehall is not a school set up to challenge them - monster talent disparity - even when they had Saquon playing with an FCS quarterback, they didn’t have the depth to play for a state title (particularly when they were one or the smallest 4As at the time). The better benchmark game for them was blowing out Allentown Central Catholic, who was in the 4A state final four. They also played up and beat the D11 6A champ. Frankly, the biggest negative at Whitehall was not being in more of a position to play for an EPC title in 2021 when they brought a lot back from the 2020 team. And they blew a big lead in the 5A district final preventing them from winning three straight. Whitehall is about the size of Plum, so imagine them playing in the WPIAL 6A conference during the season, but it has 7 teams, plus a diet ECP as a smaller than 6aa private school in the league depending on if ACC or Becahi has it going. It’s a weirdly positioned job. The next smallest school public school in their conference has 200 boys then them, and most of the league has 600 more.
Losing Quinn Wentling QB for the season in the 2nd game killed 2021. The Center was also lost. Depth is their major problem. The graduating class this past year is the same as 1970. One of the edges the Zephyrs have had since joining the old EPC in ‘76 has been coaching. Gerencser, Bendekovits, Cocca, Trisciani, Gilbert were really good. Hopefully, Marino will be in those 5s conversation.
By the way Rover, the all time series between the Zephyrs and Rovers is 19-19. The records are the same for the visiting team, too. Whitehall is 12-7 at Cottingham, while Easton is 12-7 at Zephyrs Stadium.

Losing Quinn Wentling QB for the season in the 2nd game killed 2021. The Center was also lost. Depth is their major problem. The graduating class this past year is the same as 1970. One of the edges the Zephyrs have had since joining the old EPC in ‘76 has been coaching. Gerencser, Bendekovits, Cocca, Trisciani, Gilbert were really good. Hopefully, Marino will be in those 5s conversation.
By the way Rover, the all time series between the Zephyrs and Rovers is 19-19. The records are the same for the visiting team, too. Whitehall is 12-7 at Cottingham, while Easton is 12-7 at Zephyrs Stadium.
I forgot about Wentling getting hurt, yes, that made a huge difference. And I don’t know if anybody has has the number of really, really good coaches as Whitehall locally. That’s why they’ve been able to punch above their weight as much as they have. Still, it’s a hard job. I like the Marino hire on its face a lot, though other than his resume I don’t know so much about him.

One of my favorite trivia questions used to be Whitehall as the only team in the D11 with a winning record against Easton. Easton caught up in the last decade, then has given a handful back due to ::waives hands around:: all this.

Reactions: EPC FAN

Moncman was the Man and Baltz couldn't close the deal! It wasn't a huge close but not being able to give a teaching job in the High School should have been easy!
Change had to be made and maybe Sennaca rights the ship. I have been told the feeder programs to Easton have a pretty dramatic decline in numbers. No idea why, but numbers matter...... Matt will have to do a rebuild from the bottom midget programs on up. Not as many kids are playing like they did 20-30 years ago. Coaches do matter of course. but this is deeper than any one coach but hiring a proven winner and builder is what was needed.

Moncman was the Man and Baltz couldn't close the deal! It wasn't a huge close but not being able to give a teaching job in the High School should have been easy!
Change had to be made and maybe Sennaca rights the ship. I have been told the feeder programs to Easton have a pretty dramatic decline in numbers. No idea why, but numbers matter...... Matt will have to do a rebuild from the bottom midget programs on up. Not as many kids are playing like they did 20-30 years ago. Coaches do matter of course. but this is deeper than any one coach but hiring a proven winner and builder is what was needed.
I’m hearing that it wasn’t a teaching job for Moncman that was the problem - but that he wanted multiple spots for assistants too (I’ve heard two and three).

I’m hearing that it wasn’t a teaching job for Moncman that was the problem - but that he wanted multiple spots for assistants too (I’ve heard two and three).
That is true but there are ways to make that work. Gotta be a problem solver..... Get creative.
Hoping this works out. Like I said previously, Program needs a Huge Jolt! Sennaca is now a Rover so I support him All the Way!

That is true but there are ways to make that work. Gotta be a problem solver..... Get creative.
Hoping this works out. Like I said previously, Program needs a Huge Jolt! Sennaca is now a Rover so I support him All the Way!
What I don’t know or haven’t heard is what kind of flexibility there was. When wrestling wanted to bring Corey Keener in as an assistant, they landed him a teaching job, but he’s at one of the elementary schools. I think the hang up with Moncman’s assistants was he wanted them all in the high school specifically, and that’s where talks fell apart.

What I don’t know or haven’t heard is what kind of flexibility there was. When wrestling wanted to bring Corey Keener in as an assistant, they landed him a teaching job, but he’s at one of the elementary schools. I think the hang up with Moncman’s assistants was he wanted them all in the high school specifically, and that’s where talks fell apart.
Good point as I am not sure. What I've been told was there was only one meeting and then silence. Would have been nice (making an assumption here) if there would have been more dialogue to work something out. Thinking the Ask was larger than could be accomplished but speculation on my part.

I forgot about Wentling getting hurt, yes, that made a huge difference. And I don’t know if anybody has has the number of really, really good coaches as Whitehall locally. That’s why they’ve been able to punch above their weight as much as they have. Still, it’s a hard job. I like the Marino hire on its face a lot, though other than his resume I don’t know so much about him.

One of my favorite trivia questions used to be Whitehall as the only team in the D11 with a winning record against Easton. Easton caught up in the last decade, then has given a handful back due to ::waives hands around:: all this.
We’re very proud of that record, which tells you how much respect we have for Easton’s program. It is also our favorite away venue. Great fans who are really in the game.
It IS a hard job because last years graduating class had 1 more student than mine, 50+ years ago. Things will change going forward. A new elementary school is being built, which means there will be a significant increase in students.

Some quotes from Senneca after he was approved by the board last night.

“This job,” Senneca said. “This job has only opened up about three times in the last 50 years, maybe. I have now lived here in this community for 10 years and I got to see that side of it and saw how it’s such a special place. So when this job opened up a month after I resigned, my wife and I had to have a conversation.”

“You throw in the tradition and the community support and it’s one of the bigger jobs in the Lehigh Valley,” Senneca said. “It’s almost one of those bucket-list jobs”

“there’s a mystique about this place and I’m just trying to be a part of the history and tradition here. It’s exciting.”

Saying the right things - I did not realize he and his wife live in Palmer Township.

I also got a message yesterday from somebody in local media that says “I have not talked to one person who likes the Senneca hire”. So buckle up.

Some quotes from Senneca after he was approved by the board last night.

“This job,” Senneca said. “This job has only opened up about three times in the last 50 years, maybe. I have now lived here in this community for 10 years and I got to see that side of it and saw how it’s such a special place. So when this job opened up a month after I resigned, my wife and I had to have a conversation.”

“You throw in the tradition and the community support and it’s one of the bigger jobs in the Lehigh Valley,” Senneca said. “It’s almost one of those bucket-list jobs”

“there’s a mystique about this place and I’m just trying to be a part of the history and tradition here. It’s exciting.”

Saying the right things - I did not realize he and his wife live in Palmer Township.

I also got a message yesterday from somebody in local media that says “I have not talked to one person who likes the Senneca hire”. So buckle up.
Found out some more interesting tidbits last night about Baltz hiring process which causes me to think he had to be very cautious about how that process proceeded. Seems like the superintendent was trying to call the shots and might have affected who Baltz hired......

As for Matt, yep, lives in Palmer, has a 7th grader and would love to coach his kid. Not why he took the job, but quite frankly who wouldn't want that opportunity. Matt can be successful if he surrounds himself with the right staff. I personally believe he has to have 70-80% Non-Easton staff to get off on the right foot.

Found out some more interesting tidbits last night about Baltz hiring process which causes me to think he had to be very cautious about how that process proceeded. Seems like the superintendent was trying to call the shots and might have affected who Baltz hired......

As for Matt, yep, lives in Palmer, has a 7th grader and would love to coach his kid. Not why he took the job, but quite frankly who wouldn't want that opportunity. Matt can be successful if he surrounds himself with the right staff. I personally believe he has to have 70-80% Non-Easton staff to get off on the right foot.
The only assistant I’m confident he’ll keep on is Kevin Mortan, who was in his first year, he came to Easton from Muhlenberg High and played quarterback at Kutztown. He was the fresh perspective on staff - his wife is from Easton which brought him to the area.

Bob Stroble, who played center at Lafayette, may also get kept.

The Easton alum I’d watch for is Frank Lane. He was a longtime assistant with Jim Morgans at Parkland and is one of the best in the area. He’s an Easton guy through and through, but has never coached at his Alma mater.

I’m assuming Seneca’s dad comes on in some capacity on defense.

Most of the assistants are being retained - particularly at the lower levels (junior high/freshman).

The notable addition is defensive coordinator Levi Brown, who was previously on the Liberty staff. Brown was an all state lineman and the captain of the 2008 Liberty team that won the 4A state title, and was an All Big East defensive tackle at Temple. He played a season with the Baltimore Ravens. Senneca was an assistant on those Liberty teams. I don’t know much about him as a coach, but I do know that people LOVE Levi Brown. He’s a young-ish guy who could be a big add.

The other notable addition is Mike Fleming. Fleming was an all state center for the 2014 Easton team that started the year 12-0, then was an all region left tackle at East Stroudsburg. He went 0-10 in one season as Wilson’s head coach, so he has that in common with Senneca.

I also know he did not have positive things to say about the previous regime, so if everybody is staying but the head coach, I guess that makes him the odd man out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT