ADVERTISEMENT

City all star game

Mactatty

Apr 2, 2015
Great game last night dj Moore lit it up.i was told st Joes prep was a no show because Gil brooks was on the sideline as a defensive coach

Great game last night dj Moore lit it up.i was told st Joes prep was a no show because Gil brooks was on the sideline as a defensive coach
That doesn't seem right to me . Where Did Gil Brooks coach last year ? Im probably off base with this but I thought he coached at Camden Catholic. Why would the Prep not show because of his presence ?

Yeah, I heard LaSalle also boycotted the game b/c they are best friends with St. Joes Prep....What a Dope!

I never saw cheating in an All star game. Wow, it was no reason for 5 flags to be thrown on the final drive.

Yeah, I heard LaSalle also boycotted the game b/c they are best friends with St. Joes Prep....What a Dope!
Im in the dark on this boycott issue regarding the Prep, LaSalle and Gil Brooks. I know he was let go from the prep a few years ago ,but what does that have to do with boycotting games. I would appreciate a reply if anyone has the pertinent information ,thanks

The flags were thrown because there was a no blitz rule but the pubs didn't think they would enforce it,I guess.

I didn't think lasalle was ever in the all star game.i didn't even know til a few weeks ago that wood was in

I didn't think lasalle was ever in the all star game.i didn't even know til a few weeks ago that wood was in

The NP team was struggling to field a 50-player roster so they opened it up to all of the PCL. Some schools decline and stay with the AS games in their counties.

LaSalle had a kid going to play but had to back out once the practice schedule came out because he was an athlete in another sport. I'm sure other possibilities declined because of commitments to baseball/lacrosse.

From my understanding the game was proposed to SJP players, but they declined to play. Two kids initially were going to play, but both backed out almost immediately. Their was no intentional boycott. The assistant coaches in this game aren't even announced until the parents' meeting, which comes well after the rosters are formed.

With that said, it's my opinion that the head coach looks down on the game and probably doesn't overly encourage his players to participate. He's not from here, he's oblivious to the tradition, and for all intents and purposes probably wants little to do with the game.

Are you saying that these kids are current underclassmen as in kids that will be playing HS in 2015 ?

Not sure if this is directed towards me, but the kids that played in this game are all seniors and will be graduating next month.

From my understanding the game was proposed to SJP players, but they declined to play. Two kids initially were going to play, but both backed out almost immediately. Their was no intentional boycott. The assistant coaches in this game aren't even announced until the parents' meeting, which comes well after the rosters are formed.

With that said, it's my opinion that the head coach looks down on the game and probably doesn't overly encourage his players to participate. He's not from here, he's oblivious to the tradition, and for all intents and purposes probably wants little to do with the game.
Huck, what if anything did Gil Brooks have to do with the game ? Where is he coaching now ?

For the RECORD the SJP kids were asked to participate but ALL declined.

BTM, the more I think about this the more it bothers me. Not tremendously, but at least a little. SJP has always been part of the game. Gil supported the game and his players were always represented in the game. Whether this perception is true or not, but zero players participating reeks of this game being beneath the program. Maybe, that's inaccurate.

Now, I know every case involving players is different. For example, it's not uncommon for the higher profiled players to skip the game. Sometimes they play in other AS games or their soon-to-be college coaches prefer for them to not play. An injury or playing another sport could factor in, too. In my mind this game is ideal for players like James Bell, Justin Montague, Shane Davis, Dillon DeIllius, etc...

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I do think moving forward it would be a good thing if SJP was represented in the game. Just my two cents...

BTM, the more I think about this the more it bothers me. Not tremendously, but at least a little. SJP has always been part of the game. Gil supported the game and his players were always represented in the game. Whether this perception is true or not, but zero players participating reeks of this game being beneath the program. Maybe, that's inaccurate.

Now, I know every case involving players is different. For example, it's not uncommon for the higher profiled players to skip the game. Sometimes they play in other AS games or their soon-to-be college coaches prefer for them to not play. An injury or playing another sport could factor in, too. In my mind this game is ideal for players like James Bell, Justin Montague, Shane Davis, Dillon DeIllius, etc...

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I do think moving forward it would be a good thing if SJP was represented in the game. Just my two cents...

Huck, I'm next to certain that SJP players participated in the first four years Infante was the coach, so I don't think he has been against participation. Maybe this year those seniors who were eligible and invited talked about it as a group and decided to pass on it, perhaps because some had other commitments at this time of year or perhaps because they wanted their last high school game to be the state championship game.

Most if not all of the players you named have made their college choices and will be playing football in the fall, so to the extent the game functions as a showcase for players hoping to get noticed it wouldn't have particular appeal to them. (I understand this has never been the main reason for the game.) Frankly, I can easily understand if guys who had two long seasons in their junior and senior years and who are looking forward to playing football in college want to focus on something other than football in their last weeks in high school.

Tula, I don't think he's against participation either, but I don't think he promotes the game to his players. Let's just call it what it is -- Gabe doesn't care about this game. It is of no importance to him.

In his 5 years SJP has sent 4-2-5-2-0 (13 total players). In Gil's last 5 years they sent 8-11-8-9-11 (47 players). With all due respect, those numbers jump off the page to me.

Like I said I know the players were asked. Initially one player agreed to play but backed out the next day. I cannot speak to your other comments. I feel the game is a good thing.

Talking to a couple of people associated with the game players from both schools, Lasalle and Prep, chose not to play and it had to do with the head coach of the non pubs.

Talking to a couple of people associated with the game players from both schools, Lasalle and Prep, chose not to play and it had to do with the head coach of the non pubs.

Fkd25 your information could not be further from the truth. The kids could careless who the coach was. What did Devlin ever do to them personally? One of their coaches was on the staff and he didn't take any offense to his players not participating. I cannot speak as for the Prep guys who did not participate, but I can throw in my thoughts as to why some of them decided not to play.
1) they were preparing for finals which started last Monday and decided this was more important than one last game.
2) Some of those seniors are still recovering from injuries they played with through December.
3) Their college coaches asked them not to participate in any All Star Games.
4) Their parents told them don't play why risk an injury and have to miss summer wokouts with the school who is paying for your education the next four years.
The reasons stated on here about Infante not being from here and not caring about the tradition or telling his guys not to play is complete BS. And saying it was because Gil was coaching is even funnier the players at the Prep now wouldn't know who he was if they tripped over him.

Irish, no one said that Gabe told them not to play. However, I doubt he cares that much about the game. And I doubt he promotes it to his team. IMO, he enjoys being the outsider within the league.

Furthermore, your reasons why could apply to every school involved. Yep, every single one of them.

Look at the numbers. 47 SJP players in Gil's final five years and 13 in Gabe's first five. It's a direct reflection on how each head coach felt about the game. Unless, you plan to tell me that the kids in Gil's era didn't take exams, go onto play college football, etc....

Reactions: CYOBALL1
if I'm not mistaken, it's only been the last 2 or 3 years that the suburban non pubs have been included. This years team had representatives from Wood, McDevitt, Bonner, O'Hara, LC etc. I don't disagree that SJP should have had some representatives but the number of representatives would be lessened by the fact that there are so many more participants. Simply put, the number was changing regardless. My 2 cents less a nickle.

Huck, this seems to bother you more than the "little" you said it bothers you. And it seems that Infante's being an outsider may also bother you, and you indicated he's particularly guilty of enjoying being an outsider. I'd be interested in knowing he he shows that enjoyment and what makes it objectionable. He can't help the fact that he's not from the area and I suppose he has taken what could be considered a disadvantage and tried to make it something of an advantage.

Maybe the game itself has less general appeal than it once did. Ted Silary said there was a "respectable crowd" this year. How many is "respectable"? It's interesting that no LaSalle players accepted their invitations to participate, a fact that has barely been mentioned. And is anyone keeping track of the numbers from the Inter-Ac schools?

It might be useful to compare the city all-star game with another game with a long tradition, the Big 33 game. I gather it was once a much bigger deal than it is now. Games like this have their day, but eventually their day is up. I don't know if this is the case now for the city all-star game. How much of a stink was raised when the Eagles told the organizers the Linc was no longer available?

In the end, I have a very easy time understanding why many high school seniors, perhaps especially those whose seasons ended as the Prep's did in mid-December, might decide not to make practicing for and then playing in the city all-star game a large part of their last month in high school. Nobody has a duty to play in the game and, in my mind, coaches, while they shouldn't stand in the way of players participating, have no obligation to promote it.

I know Infante was turned off a few years ago when one of his players was awarded a "scholarship" from the game that never came through and then given a check that eventually bounced. The game's moderator is notoriously unorganized.

Can we be honest? The game has lost steam and has struggled recently with funding and finding players. Woods back up WR who rarely touched the field for their varsity caught the game winner for christs sake.

Obviously Gil being a homegrown guy he had a little more invested in the game and would naturally be more inclined to promote the game to his players.

With that said I do believe they should be sending players to the game. I don't know why they are against all-star games in general. SJP had players turn down the East-West and Big 33 game as well.

Huck sounds like your not a big fan of Infante. I think you should keep in mind where you get your Prep info.

That man is emotionally disturbed and unhinged. Everyone is well aware...

if I'm not mistaken, it's only been the last 2 or 3 years that the suburban non pubs have been included. This years team had representatives from Wood, McDevitt, Bonner, O'Hara, LC etc. I don't disagree that SJP should have had some representatives but the number of representatives would be lessened by the fact that there are so many more participants. Simply put, the number was changing regardless. My 2 cents less a nickle.

I don't see anyone from Bonner, O'Hara, McDevitt on the rosters. I see a bunch of Wood kids and one LC kid. Most of the suburban PCL schools have the option to play in this AS game or their local one. SJP has just this one.

Huck, this seems to bother you more than the "little" you said it bothers you. And it seems that Infante's being an outsider may also bother you, and you indicated he's particularly guilty of enjoying being an outsider. I'd be interested in knowing he he shows that enjoyment and what makes it objectionable. He can't help the fact that he's not from the area and I suppose he has taken what could be considered a disadvantage and tried to make it something of an advantage.

Maybe the game itself has less general appeal than it once did. Ted Silary said there was a "respectable crowd" this year. How many is "respectable"? It's interesting that no LaSalle players accepted their invitations to participate, a fact that has barely been mentioned. And is anyone keeping track of the numbers from the Inter-Ac schools?

It might be useful to compare the city all-star game with another game with a long tradition, the Big 33 game. I gather it was once a much bigger deal than it is now. Games like this have their day, but eventually their day is up. I don't know if this is the case now for the city all-star game. How much of a stink was raised when the Eagles told the organizers the Linc was no longer available?

In the end, I have a very easy time understanding why many high school seniors, perhaps especially those whose seasons ended as the Prep's did in mid-December, might decide not to make practicing for and then playing in the city all-star game a large part of their last month in high school. Nobody has a duty to play in the game and, in my mind, coaches, while they shouldn't stand in the way of players participating, have no obligation to promote it.

Tulla, trust me it doesn't bother me that much. I'm not losing any sleep. Not a single second.

Furthermore, Infante being from out of the area doesn't bother me even a little. In fact, when he was hired I was the voice of reason on here when all of Gil's supporters came around to bash the hire.

These are my opinions. If you like for me to explain further then you can e-mail me. (Teddycat10@aol.com) I don't think he cares for the game.

Saul, on a whole I don't have a problem with Infante. Just because I have an opinion on this one topic doesn't mean I dislike the guy. Part of me does think he's not really about the league. I have my reasons why....

Saul, where I get my Prep info? I don't consider any of my sources, SJP or otherwise, unhinged and mentally disturbed. Who are you referring to? And how do you know who I get things from?

Huck he comes from north jersey them teams up there do nothing that is fair to the league them teams up there have kids from all over play for them and he brought that atmosphere here.brooks did it and devlin does as well which is why the catholic league is the way it is.

I would love for them to bring back the north and south but because of open enrollment and teams like prep and wood doing what they do it will never happen

Huck he comes from north jersey them teams up there do nothing that is fair to the league them teams up there have kids from all over play for them and he brought that atmosphere here.brooks did it and devlin does as well which is why the catholic league is the way it is.

I would love for them to bring back the north and south but because of open enrollment and teams like prep and wood doing what they do it will never happen

Well, the entire PCL can do it and most do on varying levels. I don't really have an issue with that. As far as I'm concerned kids can go to HS wherever they want.

With that said, I do think that being an outside guy plsys a part in not really caring about this game.

Irish doesn't matter to me why the kids didn't play so I won't get into a huge argument about why my reasoning makes sense. Just stating that I heard from a person who officiated the game and a coach who coached in the game what the reason was and I trust their word or I wouldn't have put my two sense in.

That would be some petty, bitter BS if players decided not to play because of the coach. Also, that would be a directive from a higher authority, as I don't believe players would do this on their own.

FRK not saying your sources are bad, but I doubt this happened. Sometimes people see a situation and create there own narrative. Typically, secondhand info that gets distorted from one person to the next.

Irish doesn't matter to me why the kids didn't play so I won't get into a huge argument about why my reasoning makes sense. Just stating that I heard from a person who officiated the game and a coach who coached in the game what the reason was and I trust their word or I wouldn't have put my two sense in.
Your source/official/coach is wrong! The young men choose to not participate for their own reasons none was because of a coach. Trust me on this I KNOW. Move on.

Listen I've coached in the game. Every year kids from certain teams feel disrespected and felt they werent given a fair shake and that other kids played more because who the coach was. Maybe this happens more on the pub side then the non-pub side but I'm sure it happens. Wood had 10 out of 47 players on the team. Wood has been allowed to play in the game for 2 years and Devlin was the coach both of those years. Why wouldn't he let someone else do it? I don't know coach Devlin at all and only have met him the 2 times they kicked our ass in the hand shake line. I think he does a great job with his program but you are going to have a bias towards your kids. Again I trust the people that were around the game and who worked the game maybe they are way off base but I gotta think there is some truth to it. If it is as simple as kids just not being interested in playing in all star game I find that hard to believe. And for prep just to have no interest in it at all in the last two years doesnt make much sense to me. But you guys might be right maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I've seen a lot of numbers thrown our on here and I think it is important to remember one of the most basic tenets of statistics: correlation does not equal causation.

Yes the numbers are down for participants from the Prep, but one must consider the following:

- Since the coaching transition at the Prep, their roster has never once had the totals that Gil had. (BTW, that's not just a Prep thing - high school football participation is down across the county). Case in point: last year they "only" had two players in the game. However, they only had nine seniors. Two first team all state players were recovering from post season surgery. Two other players who would have been selected were D1 athletes in their spring sports and could not play. The other three seniors were simply not all star candidates.

- Yes, this was the largest class in Infante's tenure at the Prep, but in winning the state championship back to back years, they played a total of 9 extra games on top of their regular season schedule and PCL playoffs. That's essentially the equivalent of another regular season and brings with it a lot of wear and tear. And does not even factor in what has to be one the toughest schedules in the country over that period. I don't fault any of those kids if they wanted to enjoy their senior spring. They earned it. (This is where someone will throw a comment about Wood playing the same amount of games over that period. However, they are not challenged within their league and PIAA Playoffs and drop tough non-league opponents for teams they assume will be weaker so I don't think it is really an apples to oranges comparison.)

Reactions: ed o'brien
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT