ADVERTISEMENT

Ches Mont National & American teams: 2014 (Downingtown West, Great Valley)

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Sorry I had to divide these teams up like I did. The board has format-limiting features.

Downingtown West 6-5;
Would you believe the defending Ches-Mont National champs fielded their best offense at 38ppg since 2007’s 10-2 team that also averaged 38ppg? You would if you knew they won the title starting seven sophomores and returned 16, repeat, 16 starters from that group entering the 2014 season. Right, they were replacing league MVP Nick Pagel who threw for 1217 yards (63%, 8/3 Td-Pick) and rushed for another 528 yards. But that void was more than adequately filled by Tyler McNulty (6-2, 195, sr), who made them forget concerns there, completing 62% of his passes for 2398 yards while rushing for 400 yards. So, how did the team that came into the season loaded with returning starters and a quarterback that ultimately assuaged worries at the position manage to win only six games, dropping to third at 3-3 in the National? Although they had an offense that could outscore most teams, they could not outscore them all and therein lies the problem. The defense allowed on average 25ppg, making it their worse defense since 2004’s 4-7 team that allowed 26ppg. Defense has been their Achilles Heel four of the last five years scanning year end averages since from 2010 to the present that show yields of 24ppg back-to-back, 16 in 2012, 20 in ‘13 and 25 in 2014. They could score points all night but couldn’t stop the quality teams with losses coming to Henderson 28-20, Great Valley 41-35 in ot, D-town East 34-14, Coatesville 47-33 and in the first round of Districts where a basketball game broke out, losing to Pennsbury 63-55. Their average points scored in these five losses was 31.4. The prolific offense got them off to a good start, winning their first three games then three of the next four to stand at 6-2 before the bottom fell out in a 0-3 finish.
Something else the Whippets haven’t had the last five years is a featured, breakaway back. And it showed up on their won-loss going 4-6, 7-3, 7-4, 8-3 and 6-5 since 2010; 32-21 total W/L. Only one back, Zach Barr gained over 1000 yards (1450 in 2011) in a season since 2010. From 2006 through 2009 when they had a running-back gain over 1000 yards in each season, excepting 2007, the won-loss was 10-2, 10-2, 11-2 and 10-2 or 41-8 totaled. In 2007, Jared Heller rushed 167 times for 928 yards, fighting for carries with dual threat Nolan Kearney under center. Kearney (Tight-end, Wm-Mary) rushed 75 times for 558 yards while passing for 2240 yards. In 2006 they had Roshaan McCain (Ship) who rushed for 1842 yards; in 2008 Jared Heller got 1282 and in 2009 Kessan Christopher (GW transfer) rushed for 1353 yards. McNulty masked a lot of concerns but he couldn’t cover the gaping issues of a porous defense or a backfield lacking a Kessan Chrostopher or Roshaan McCain. Speaking of backs, that’s the one area where they are loaded with the return of quality backs in Michael Riddick (5-9, 185, jr) their leading rusher with 685 yards, Jake Barr (5-9, 170, sr) with 446 yards and Braden Harper (5-11, 185, sr) with 134. Barr was their second leading receiver with 31 catches for 482 yards. He and Riddick with 18 catches for 198 yards will give QB Thomas Mattioni (6-1, 175, sr)….or whoever, every chance of success. Most of their linebacker and secondary return with DT Billy Hammond (5-11, 280, sr) who they’ll build the D-Line around.

Great Valley 12-2; Last year’s 12-2 team was only the third occasion in school history where they hit the double digit win mark, having done so in 1989 at 10-2 and 2004 with an 11-1 record. In 2004, Great Valley (11-0) got past Bok Tech (7-3) in the first round 35-0 then lost to Upper Merion on missed extra points 20-19. UM (10-3) went on to lose to Berwick (12-2) the following week 47-16. The Dawgs then lost to Manheim Central (13-2) 16-13 who lost in the final to Thomas Jefferson (14-2) 56-20.
Last year’s group got off to a strong start, beating Phoenixville (1-9) 54-0, Avon Grove (0-10) 42-13, Penn Wood (0-11) 61-12 and Octorara (5-6) 33-7. The trouble there was that beating teams by an average score of 48-8 (combined won-loss 6-36) probably got Rustin’s attention in a big way. That’s the last thing the upstart Patriots needed with Rustin then 3-1, coming off a 28-12 home loss to Downingtown East (9-4). Being the first quality opponent the Patriots encountered, it wasn’t pretty, with the Golden Knights rolling 54-13 in Malvern. But the Pats proved resilient, coming back strong the following week at home against Downingtown West (6-5), winning in overtime 41-35. Nice rebound! They rolled thereon, blowing out the next seven teams including Octorara, Bishop Shanahan and Springfield in the playoffs by an average score of 39-12 before getting crushed by Archbishop Wood (14-1), 44-7 who went on to win 3A. So it was a good season, winning Districts and setting a record in the win column. And now, most of that team graduated, including all their primary runners, receivers and quarterback Zach Ludwig (5-10, 185). Zach was a fine high school quarterback, completing 64% of his passes for 2050 yards and rushing for 639 yards. He was integral to the offense. Another was River Johnson with 860 yards rushing and 19 receptions for 132 yards. Top receiver Nasir Adderley caught 68 passes for 1019 yards while rushing for 302 yards. And with most of the defense gone and a total of 27 seniors graduating, it’s a full rebuild for the Patriots.

Stalk -

Between you and Rover Nation up North not much to wonder about as to the Eastern teams. Nice work as always.

Yeah, two guys without a life! Kidding. Now, if one of the many Catholic League and Ridley fans would take a shot we'd have something.

Working on 3 and 7 where Central Dauphin is looking special along with Wilson. From all indications things are shaping up with another war between the Mid Penn and LL .

Wk #1; CD opens with Manheim Twp who has a brute of a QB with a 64% gun. Streaks are going to be good enough to upset Rams. We'll see.
Wk #2; CD East at Wilson who was lucky escaping Panther's last year in Districts, 9-6.
Wk #3; Then the one everyone is waiting for, CD vs Wilson that will pack Gurski with Rams looking to reverse last year's 14-12 and 21-10 losses to Bulldogs.

Yeah, two guys without a life! Kidding. Now, if one of the many Catholic League and Ridley fans would take a shot we'd have something.

Working on 3 and 7 where Central Dauphin is looking special along with Wilson. From all indications things are shaping up with another war between the Mid Penn and LL .

Wk #1; CD opens with Manheim Twp who has a brute of a QB with a 64% gun. Streaks are going to be good enough to upset Rams. We'll see.
Wk #2; CD East at Wilson who was lucky escaping Panther's last year in Districts, 9-6.
Wk #3; Then the one everyone is waiting for, CD vs Wilson that will pack Gurski with Rams looking to reverse last year's 14-12 and 21-10 losses to Bulldogs.
Stalk - To add your Dtown West comments the Whippets will have a say in the Chesmont National title and should make playoffs. QB McNulty graduated but Thomas Mattioni is a very good athlete. If he can develop a passing game along w the strong backfield plus many returning OL and defense they'll be a force. This group could potential both Cville and D East.

It appears you never left the computer on the Dwest preview, why spend over 1/2 a PREVIEW pulling stats from years in the past? You mention 3-4 current players (pulling up stats from last year) and provide no insights for the current year.

The 1000 yard rusher argument is pointless. They didnt make the playoffs when their rb had 1400+ yards because they had a weak defense that year. With a strong defense, any of these prolific offense numbers (which will again happen this year) will result in wins. In comparison to the Coatesville and Deast previews, this is almost a hit piece.

Well Zipline33, I’ll try to answer your concerns as simply as possible.

Q- It appears you never left the computer on the Dwest preview
A-Correct, I did not leave the computer for any of the write ups (?)

Q-why spend over 1/2 a PREVIEW pulling stats from years in the past?
A-Because I wanted to, the love of history if you will but I eagerly look forward to your previews

Q-You mention 3-4 current players (pulling up stats from last year) and provide no insights for the current year.
A-A glance at the second sentence and last paragraph with just a little deductive effort will provide insight….for most of the guys on the board. Would you like a further projection?

Q-The 1000 yard rusher argument is pointless.
A-Most of these write ups are pointless, an exercise in history, fun (for some of us Zip) and speculation that’s enjoyed by the board. While on that topic, what is the point of your response?

Q- They didn’t make the playoffs when their rb had 1400+ yards because they had a weak defense that year
A- Believe that was covered in the write up. Quoting me “Defense has been their Achilles Heel four of the last five years scanning year end averages from 2010 (Barr ‘s 1400+ you alluded to) to the present that show yields of 24ppg back-to-back, 16 in 2012, 20 in ‘13 and 25 in 2014.”
Criticism is fine Zip but should read the post more carefully next time..

Summary- In comparison to the Coatesville and Deast previews, this is almost a hit piece.
A-Thank you. A nd I look forward to your previews of the 41 teams reviewed this past month; Perk Val, Spg Ford, Pgrove, Btown, St Coll, Altoona, Mifflin Cty, Cent Mt, Neshy, PSB, NP, Abing, Pridge, CB So, Ben, Souder, Qtown, CR No, CR So, Tru, CB West, CB East, Ten, Norris, UpDub, Up More, PWhite, Wis, HH, Chelt, Sfield, UpMer, Coats, DtE, DtW, Hender, WC East, Shanahan, Rus, Great Val, U-ville.

When will you have those for us Zipline33

Kudo's for writing PREVIEWS, I assume you enjoy writing them, if not. don't do it.

The offense was one of the top offenses in the county/state. Agree? There offense was more prolific than any of the 2006-2009 teams, agree?

Previews typically focus on the positives of teams not a b/s strawman man debate that diminishes their success. Just my opinion, im sure you receive a 1000 compliments, don't let my negative review get your panties in a bunch.

Ok, stepped back, (pulled my reply). I had MY panties in a bunch. Writing these is a difficult job, kudos and I apologize for tone.

I understand adding review history to add to the entertainment value, Again, my bad and it is a nice touch and involves work.

As a supporter of dwest, I do feel it necessary to respond to your comments because I thought it was a negative piece...

A-A glance at the second sentence and last paragraph with just a little deductive effort will provide insight….for most of the guys on the board. Would you like a further projection?

2nd sentence is a summary of why last year was a disappointment with several starters returning. I may not be as smart as the other readers, what do I deduce from that in relation to this year? Sure, make a further projection ...

Downingtown West Preview (per Easterpafootball)

2014 Record:
6-5

2015 Team Schedule

Feature Suggestions: Tom Mattioni, Jake Barr

Offensive Starters Returning: (8) John West-OT, Jackson Hale-OG, Matt Geary, CTR, Brandon Peterson-OT, Jake Barr-RB, Tom Mattioni-WR, Braden Harper-FB, Mike Riddick-AB

Defensive Starters Returning: (9) Brandon Peterson-DT, Billy Hammond-NT, Brandon Myers-LB, Colby Burkr-LB, Zach Siever-LB, Cole Zapf-$$, Wayne Anderson-CB, Tom Mattioni-CB, Braden Harper-LB

Top Players:

Offense: Tom Mattioni-QB, Mike Riddick-AB, Jake Barr-RB

Defense: Brandon Peterson-DT, Braden Harper – LB, Wayne Anderson – CB

Top Seniors: Tom Mattioni, Jake Barr, Jackson Hale, John West, Matt Geary, Brandon Peterson, Braden Harper

Twitter: @dtown_whippets

2015 Outlook: We have seven seniors who started as sophomores and won a Ches-Mont Title. This year we have 16 starters returning. We were stung by our failure at the end of the season. We have proven able to score points and know that we must improve defensively to be a factor in District 1.

With nine returning starters on that side, we should show marked improvement this year. On Offense, we lost our QB, Tyler McNulty to graduation. Tom Mattioni will replace him. Tom has started on both sides of the ball since his sophomore year and will be a real dual threat QB for us.

Don't copy and paste entire articles from other sites, particularly mom bad pop sites like EasternPAFootball, repost the link so Dave gets the traffic.

Reactions: Aragorn
ADVERTISEMENT