ADVERTISEMENT

Brace yourself.....

Cool, another 75 post thread on LaSalle. Any updates on Bristol transfers this off-season?

Murph,
BTW... An "official" decision has not been declared yet by the board, unless your sitting on it.

Yesman, 10,000+? Please tell me it's because Rick and Jon have rejoined the band
laugh.r191677.gif

Guys, LPtown hit nail on the head with DG going to Alma mater this fall.

LS job is not decided but as I said before if Steinmetz wants it, it's his. I'll comment on that when it's official.

what if brooks landed at Roman?!?!? Hearing it's a possibility.......

This post was edited on 3/18 10:59 PM by murphman1975

I wish I could see JB's face when reading these posts.
looks like gordon senior's undying "love" (JB's words, not mine) for lasalle were so strong that he headed a few miles down church road to his coach at McD. gordon senior was very clear to point out to anyone that spoke to him that he was not retiring he was stepping down. anyone with a half brain could read into that to know he was coming back to coach again. now the big question is where will bret land???? anyone that thinks he won't be coaching somewhere next year will have the same stupid look on his face that JB does right now.

Nova

Big DG fan but, again disgruntled coaches rarely rise again. I wish he were at LS, but going to BM is no big deal for LS. Wish him all the best.

And brooks to roman, big deal. No one beating Prep next 2 years, then LS turn.

i guess i need you to clarify disgruntled. there are 100 examples of college coaches that became disgruntled and even got fired that came back to win big. i think a change to a school that will allow him a lot more control, assuming he will eventually be hc, is just what he needs. being frustrated with school wouldn't cause him to forget how to coach. he has clear ties to mcD and they will love getting a former lasalle coach and will back the heck out of him. huge win for them and i suspect they will compete for state title in next 2-3 yrs. they 1a or 2a? i agree it doesn't effect lasalle and they certainly have their own coaching issues

So I'm going to leave a quad A power house I helped build to go to a AA school because I feel LS is not supporting sports.

Sorry not adding up...Just wish DG and LS the best and move on...

i think he realized with out the school backing him and matching sjp's commitment to football that he would not be able to consistently compete with them and decided rather than continue to fight the school, a battle he will never win, he moved so he could enjoy coaching for the last part of his career. if you think this is going to change you are crazy, take a look at the freshman teams and their records. it is an indicator of talent coming up and it aint good. the gordons leaving will cause every 8th grader to reconsider lasalle (already lost kids since they stepped down) and i'm sure the prep, roman, wood and now mcD will be waiting. lasalle will keep winning swimming, tennis, lacrosse and they will always be in the hunt in baseball and other sports but it will be a long time before they win anything in football.

Re: I predict

No, Burgy....the big news coming is: Schmidt to LA, will join Bwuce "Jennerfer" Jenner as co-trainer of the Compton Crossdressers (changed the name from Crusaders). Dynamic Duo!!

Relayer,
I wish we could......shades of Phila. '79 in the round!!

Mabel Greer's Toyshop

Totally agree. McDevitt is a good landing spot for Gordon. Alum and all that. But I don't think he has enough time to turn McDevitt into a powerhouse. They are no where near that at this point and Drew is up there in years. They will get their share of kids who think they are the next John Elway. But if junior aint there, the magic might not be either. Good luck and all the best.
This post was edited on 3/19 9:11 AM by paul from philly

Drew Gordon was never wired that way. He's a football coach, not the face of the school.
This post was edited on 3/19 9:33 AM by paul from philly

I heard the DG rumors about possibly coaching McDeviit a couple weeks ago. He just may save that school from another Catholic School closing. It gives us alumni hope anyway. No doubt, he will be successful back home.

Romeo,

Do you actually believe that Coach Gordon's decision to take the McDevitt job (if true - I haven't heard or seen confirmation yet) would save McDevitt from closing? I have nothing against the man, but IMO, that is a VERY strong sentiment.

I believe that it could certainly help if the football program becomes successful. The drawing power of a winning tradition, if created should have a positive influence on students decision if they have several choices on schools to attend. Maybe its just wishful thinking on my behalf , but I hope that is the end result . I don't want to experience the school closing thing as many of my friends at North Catholic and Cardinal Dougherty did.

It is sad to see the PCL shrink like it has. As an FJ alum, the games versus NC were special. Always a hostile crowd when you played NC in hoops at "the pit". I'm not sure any coach can keep a school afloat, however.

This is 100% confirmed. OC this year and will replace Pat M. the following season. The numbers are so tight in terms of these schools closing that a handful of kids that would have gone elsewhere could make a difference or at least extend the schools life until DG retires. McDevitt president has extensive experience and a successful career outside academia so I am sure this was a very calculated move. Congrats to him for capitalizing on an opportunity and building a plan that no one can argue will do anything but help the school. If they are 1A now I would expect them to be very competitive, very quickly.

If the Gordon's ended up at McDevitt that would be huge development. It could easily change the dynamic of McDevitt as a school, the Catholic League, and the PIAA as a whole. First I have no doubt a stronger football program would have a impact on McDevitt' enrollment over time. People underestimate the power of well respected athletic programs when it comes to enrollment. For historic reference please go to the bibliography (nee Gill Brooks, Prep, 1992). Pat Manzi had a grea run at McDevitt and did a lot of good for kids but should have went off into the sunset long ago rather than trying to engineer the league for years so he could get another championship jacket. He engineered McDevitt right into near non existence.

Second Gordon's at McDevitt potentially change things a bit in Catholic League. It's another program competeting for kids. A lot of those kids are automatic for Wood, LaSalle, Prep etc. Gordon gets McDevitt going that changes things up there a little. If you are the best QB in that area who would you rather play for then the Gordons.

Lastly from a PIAA perspective this could have an effect in two ways. First at Single A level it would not take more than a few kids for McDevitt to be a huge factor in state wide Single A. Even if they got enrollment going they would be a huge factor at AA with West Etc. Tangentially a stong McDevitt program potentially steals a few kids away from the Wood's, Prep's of the world and brings the state a little bit closer to them. The biggest threat to Catholic League PIAA dominance is a spreding of that talent inside the league itself. Gordon could play a major role in that. I also believe he could pay a major role in re-engergizing the school.

Gang, Agree with everything you said but I would not assume McDevitt is getting both Gordon's. Where BG lands is The next big question.

Complete game changer in PIAA. Kids from areas near McD. will now look at McD. Along with kids who are cyo kids going to Abington...they will look back to McD. They will also pick off some kids who are at LS, but would have traditionally...and I am talking years ago...gone to McD. Game changer. Will affect Wood, Lasalle, Abington. Will not have even a small ripple to SJP.

Gang Green, Nice job summarizing Drew Gordons potential impact on both the football and school existence. Another few schools that could lose some talent include Imhotep, MLK, Cheltenham and Springfield

Whoa ... Wait

Timeout ... am I reading here that the LS faithful potentially view this as a coach being greater than the school? I mean, I'm not here to beat the LS drum, but let's no underestimate the LS academics. This is not a shot at McDevitt. I've had family at multiple PCL schools including McD. I'm just taken back at the blind loyalty to a single person. Granted, success was earned - as a team and school and one person was part of that. Good luck, but I have confidence in the pending choice and think it will be good for LS.

Re: Whoa ... Wait

I think GG is right that hiring Gordon--if it actually happens--could be good for McD's enrollment, but it's hard to see it making a big difference. He made reference to SJP's enrollment going up because of Brooks and I'm there's some truth to that, but there were other factors (e.g. changes in school principals and in school presidents, changes (perceived or real) in the school's neighborhood, even the wave of "echo boom" kids that grew over the course of the 90's and probably peaked ten or twelve years ago) that no doubt had some effect.

I guess DG forgot to call JBinPA and discuss this with him b4 he took the McDevitt position.

With JB being the biggest cheerleader at LaSalle and knowing soooo Much of the inner workings at
LaSalle - I actually thought DG and JB were the same person?

Academics? I was told on this board kids went to Lasalle to play football because one of two things. 1. children of alumni (weak.....you tell me the pattern of alumni sons on the football team except for a couple...I know....I went there) 2. due the great winning tradition of the football team. Neither of those (maybe alumni inherently know) address the quality of the academics. I would hope for that exorbitant tuition that academics would be priority one.

You're a dope and a liar.

I never said Drew would not coach again, not ever.

You came on here playing Mr. Know it all and said that Brett would be the next coach and was assembling a staff. I called you on it; said you and your post were BS! Bring back fond memories yet? So far I've been proven true.

Told you numerous times that Brett stated when Dad retired he would not be coaching. So, that ruled out your entire post.

Now you want to change it that I said Drew would never coach again?

If Drew coaches, could Brett help out? I would imagine so, nothing definite.

The fact is your original post was all hot air, as are you.

Anything else you'd like to discuss? Stick with facts, they build credibility.

Murph, I don't enjoy seeing Drew leave LS but I applaud his choice to take over McD, his alma mater, which can use his help obviously.

Good Luck Drew (if this comes to pass) and congrats McD on a great choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT