ADVERTISEMENT

Blitz, let's try to figure this out!!

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
To crown the best athletic program, there has to be a formula. Say with football, you take the record of the team. If the team is 11-1, they get 10 points for winning eleven and losing one. Then if they make the piaa playoffs they get 5 points and if they win the whole shootin match they get 10 points. So our 11-1 team has a value of 25 points. I think baseball, basketball, soccer, lacrosse could all work in the same fashion. Anyone have any thoughts

Wie du willst, Paul! Sounds good to me. I´d be fairly willing to bet LaSalle, St. Joe´s and Pennsbury would wind up the top three, in no particular order, regardless of what point system one conjured up....

St. Joe's would be nowhere near the top 3, too many of their sports are not championship competitive, league or otherwise.
I know there are more but LaSalle, North Allegheny and Conestoga are schools that have broad-based quality along sports lines, and several state titles in recent time.

If we're looking at best athletic program, I would guess girls sports would be included. Across the board I don't think anybody comes close to Wood. Hate to say it, but gotta be honest.

It would all depend on what formula you use, although no formula I can think of wouldn't be without major weaknesses. Paul's, for instance, would not recognize strength of schedule in football, which means this year's 4A public champ, Ben Franklin, might come out ahead of SJP and and certainy would have if SJP had lost to Liberty--even though SJP beat BF very handily. And would you weigh soccer and bowling or golf equally? And though rowing may not have a state championship, it does have a PCL championship and some schools, most obvioulsly SJP and LaSalle but also Roman, Bonner, and Judge, have a lot of kids involved in it. Excluding it seems intrinsically unfair, but including it seems unfair to other schools. Finally, some sports, e.g. track and cross-country, don't have two schools competing against each other but have meets in which several schools compete. Would you weigh a relay championship (four runners in the team) differently from an individual championship? And what if a school wins two relay state championships (eight athletes, more "key players" than some basketball teams have) but only finishes in 3rd or 4th in the league champioships and nowehere near the team medals in the state championships?

Jive,
Wasn't considering girls nor the lower classifications, that would really open it up!!

Based on Boys' PCL titles and sports participated in last 5-6 yrs., Wood still distant 2nd to LS.

Thinking of you today.... ran into good friend, parent of Judge's '08 football squad, we reminisced about the PCL championship at NE. Overflow night crowd, electric, amazing game and finish. That Judge team had a number of dynamic playmakers, were fun to watch. Of course the conversation quickly degraded down to Steve's Steaks and the Parmesan fries from Gallo's Burger Bar!!

Hope your family is well..

Paul, Yes or Yes, Paul:

Okay, go with this: Take the following 10 sports and figure the total winning percentage, throw in five extra points for a league champioship, 10 for a district title and 15 for a state crown for the last five years:

Men: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, Swimming and Track&Field.

Women: Softball, Basketball, Swimming and Track&Field.

Think all the "biggies," which the vast majority of schools have, are covered there, or??
Example: Total winning percentage of .750 =750 points, plus 12 league titles for 60 points, plus 5 district tiles for 50 points, plus two state titles for 30 points=grand total of 890.

Now the problem is who is gonna find out all the ness. stats on all the candidate institutions?

Blitz,

You're behind the times. At many schools, it seems soccer is bigger than swimming, baseball, and track and wrestling, and lacrosse is bigger than one or two of them.

Here's a list of how many schools play the different sports in the PIAA. I only included the boys. This should give us an idea of what's popular across the state.

Basketball: 721 schools play hoops in the PIAA

Baseball: 669

Track and Field: 603

Football: 577

Soccer: 573

Cross Country: 565

Golf: 523

Wrestling: 493

Tennis: 390

Swimming/Diving: 318

Volleyball: 205, yet 579 schools offer girl's volleyball

Lacrosse: 195

Indoor Track and Field: 188

Bowling: 143

Rifle: 52

Water Polo: 25

The 4 sessions of the basketball championships drew 17,000+ in Hershey. The 3 days of wrestling 2 weeks ago drew 45,000 total.

Isn't this a case of apples and oranges? How many schools were represented in the three days of wrestling? I'm assuming at least a few were within an hour's drive of Hershey. Also, Philly public schools don't have many fans and of the fans they do have not many travel.

Something else to keep in mind, PA is the top high school wrestling state in the country.

Relayer: Nice (informative) list! Okay, so lacrosse doesn´t qualify, it´s mainly relegated to the Main Line. Golf & cross country? Nah. Wrestling has to be there as far as I´m concerned, as does swimming. @ Tulla: I dunno if I´m willing to let soccer into the Big 10......although it´s the "World Sport," in the USA it will always remain the sport for "foreigners & f---gts" to put it into our old terminology. "Go keeeck a toushdown." lol.

And yeah, I think my original theory that the "mythical" all-sports crown will come down to LS, SJP and PHS still holds water.....thoughts?

You're talking like an R, Blitz! I like that! Those f--gots on the other side will miss you. FYI: It's The Prep who would come out on top if you a factoring in how much each championship costs us lol...We are the Yankees (or maybe now the Eagles) of North Philly!

SJP????
Refer to prior post 3-19-15, 4:58pm

Relayer,
Wakeman is God..

Strawbs

Yes, but winning two consecutive state championships (4A) in football is gonna get them some heavy bonus pts., at least in my book. Sorry, but football was, is and always will be the most important sport at the high school level in the USA. Basketball second, track a distant third....

Maybe you go with a scale (see relayers work) weighing the big 4 or 6 of FB, Hoops, Bb, Track (soccer cross-country) etc more than say success achieved with golf, tennis and swimming. Then go with the degree of success in each. All done by classification as far as possible....recognizing inherent advantages of a quard to field (afford in many cases) more than a Single. Then, how far back do you take it? That's huge in a project like this.

Yer right as usual, Stalk, huge in the project, a huge project....would take a lot of time & effort.....get your cousins working on this one; they could "persuade" some people to give them quick statistical answers, I´m certain....

Guys

Couple suggestions to organize your project..

1. Finalize your 6-7-8 sports.

2. Assign points for following:

Conference title: SOL National, PCL, Pub, etc..
District title....
State title..

Too many variables in regular season non conference match ups to award points..

3. I would weight football, basketball, baseball and wrestling more than the swimming, golf, lax, tennis.
Maybe have 2 tiers:

Tier 1 football, baseball, basketball,wrestling
Conference title 6pts
District title 12pts
State title 20pts

Tier 2
Conference title 4 pts
District title 8 pts
State title 16 pts

Then get people to do homework on their school if they think they are in the running in each classification A-quad A..

Just workshopping..

Hey Spider,

Really like the "tier" thought.....maybe even three tiers instead of two would be best....way to weave that web.....

FB,

You're not excited about the notion of going to $hreveport, LA in September and stimulating the local economy down there???

Ok brother....right, maybe rustle up some brotherhood for the project! Last I knew they were Florida bound for Daytona. Never know with that bunch.
Anyway, that's a mean project whoever tackles it. I'm knee deep in sorting thru last year and figuring out the coming. Looks like a real interesting year ahead. Largely wide open in SOL, PCL, PAC, Ches, Cent to a extent with a few veteran teams sprinkled throughout. Back to it!

While I still attend games, both my sons have graduated and we usually lean towards the local games. We made it to Hershey this year though and it was great. As part owner, I should be making the trip, but I was thinking a little further south like the carribean lol

Well, Stalk, if there´s anybody capable of "tackling" this mean, fast project, that right writebacker would be you!

Blitz, please do not waste time with formulas and just anoint THE PREP number one and we can all move on........"The truth shall set you free"!!!!!!!!!

Hey Slam, what´s up, Bro? Good to see ya! Yeah, sorry, according to my latest "calculations," LaSalle would be 1st, Pennsbury 2nd, the Hawks 3rd......but if ya take off points for the missed holding penalties (refs on the "take"), you guys would get the silver medal...congrats!! lol.

PS: Where the heck is Lift?? Out with Darla from the gym?

Blitz, I think a number of guys got tired of the same ole same ole in posts that typically degenerate into a pissing match between girls. Plus the board is provincial. God forbid you talk football beyond the school a few posters went to, ie....District 1 and District 12. I've never understood the utter lack of interest in topics-teams beyond our area's borders. This area is unique in that regard relative to other areas of the state I've lived in; Harrisburg, Pittsburgh.

Blitz, holding is an art form and Gordon's staff taught it well. Yea Lift is MIA......he must have got bored. Me I changed jobs and had to step it up so I had no time...... I still check on and off, but the rules were bringing me down. It was way to serious...... take the fun out of anything and it becomes boring!!!

Stalk,

Gotta agree with 90 percent of what you say, particularly "pissing" and "provincial!" Regarding the former, well, this is Philly and we do love to phight in one pform or another. And have Philvincial tendencies.....kinda a shame, kinda not.

Do think, though, the base of the board is very much intact and Andy´s successor, Ed O´Brien is doin´a great job.

The B-ball board is in a sorry state, however......four state champions from Dist. 12 and nary a word over this sweep? Jaysus.

Slam: As said, great to see ya back....and this is all about having fun, isn´t it??

ADVERTISEMENT