ADVERTISEMENT

Big games this week

DripDrop

Aug 31, 2023
What are some big games to watch from your area. Here in western some games I'll be paying attention to are: NA/Cannon Mac
PCC/st Iggy
Armstrong/aliquippa
Central valley/Avonwoth

Last edited:
NA/CMac is very interesting game. A little surprised CMac beat Penn Trafford, but CMac has QB and a nice senior class

Peters vs Seneca is a battle of the suburbs.

Lebo v BP is old school quad A border rival. Hatred in that game.

NA/CMac is very interesting game. A little surprised CMac beat Penn Trafford, but CMac has QB and a nice senior class

Cannon mac's been my sleeper all year with a good QB and 90+ kids going out this year. 6A in the wpial is up this year after being down last year. Lebo looks good after a big win against gateway as well.

Reactions: new2pa

Cannon mac's been my sleeper all year with a good QB and 90+ kids going out this year. 6A in the wpial is up this year after being down last year. Lebo looks good after a big win against gateway.

From what I hear St. Ignatius is no longer an especially strong program--and hasn't been for a few years.
I watched an early Iggy game this year. They may be down, but they looked VERY solid.

Reactions: Stalker
What are some big games to watch from your area. Here in western some games I'll be paying attention to are: NA/Cannon Mac
PCC/st Iggy
Armstrong/aliquippa
Central valley/Avonwoth
Welcome to the board DripDrop:

I'd go with....
Downingtown East at State College
McDevitt at DePaul Cath-NJ
Manheim Central at Smyrna at Salesianum High (Wilmington)

Welcome to the board DripDrop:

I'd go with....
Downingtown East at State College
McDevitt at DePaul Cath-NJ
Manheim Central at Smyrna at Salesianum High (Wilmington)
Thx & all great games. Also Pa didn't do well against out of state competition in week 0 so hopefully PCC, mcdevitt ,& SJP will bring back W this week for Pa against oh and nj.

Reactions: lilromeo
I watched an early Iggy game this year. They may be down, but they looked VERY solid.
They’ve been passed by St Ed’s as the best team in greater Cleveland (and therefore in the state) and they won’t pile up gaudy records because their schedule is essentially all the best Catholic schools in Ohio (Moeller, Ed’s, St. X) who are all the best teams in the state. Their 8-4 (like last year) is like Bosco or Bergen having that record. Still we’re in the round of 8 I think in the state tournament. New head coach will be interesting replacing a legend, but not a program going away anytime soon

They’ve been passed by St Ed’s as the best team in greater Cleveland (and therefore in the state) and they won’t pile up gaudy records because their schedule is essentially all the best Catholic schools in Ohio (Moeller, Ed’s, St. X) who are all the best teams in the state. Their 8-4 (like last year) is like Bosco or Bergen having that record. Still we’re in the round of 8 I think in the state tournament. New head coach will be interesting replacing a legend, but not a program going away anytime soon
There might not be a team in Pa that would have beat those 3 teams last year. They are probably down for st Ignatius standards but I think they'd be a top 4 team in 6A here in PA. It'll be a good test for PCC tonight.

In D11, Parkland plays Freedom and Nazareth plays Emmaus, so the top 4 teams in 6A are all locking horns.
If I’m picking them -

Parkland/Freedom
Both teams are really tough up front. Freedom is great on the offensive and defensive lines, but is really green at skill spots. Their quarterback is a monster (Chase Walker - 6’4 240!) and I’ll be interested to see how he develops through the year. Parkland is similarly experienced on the line (less stars, but good, veteran high school players) but unlike Freedom, they’ve got a game breaker in Trey Tremba. His ability to get them chunk plays will be the difference.

Nazareth/Emmaus
You all know how high I am on Nazareth. Really good all around. If they are going to get tested here, it’s because Emmaus’s excellent defensive end combination of Ben Mercado and Mario Landino get pressure and rattle sophomore QB Peyton Falzone. Nazareth has five returning starters on the offensive line, including an all state left tackle, so I think he’ll get good protection. But if the 10th grader gets rattled, Emmaus is good enough to take advantage. But if he’s on point, I think Nazareth can flex their muscles and make a statement.

Bonus - Easton/Allentown Central Catholic
New Easton head coach hosts his alma mater in his first home game at Cottingham. They won’t win, I don’t think the very young Easton line can handle Braheem Battles and company, but if Easton can get into tempo and move the ball on the ground, the defense has a shot to contain a good but not great ACC offense. If the Rovers keep it within two touchdowns against a team that’s going to contend statewide in 4A, it’s a good sign for the good guys.

There might not be a team in Pa that would have beat those 3 teams last year. They are probably down for st Ignatius standards but I think they'd be a top 4 team in 6A here in PA. It'll be a good test for PCC tonight.
I think PCC will beat Iggy. Iggy is down even though they beat Mentor they lost to Springfield who lost to DeMatha by double digits. PCC will be there at the end IMO.So many D-1 recruits and now can throw the ball.

If I’m picking them -

Parkland/Freedom
Both teams are really tough up front. Freedom is great on the offensive and defensive lines, but is really green at skill spots. Their quarterback is a monster (Chase Walker - 6’4 240!) and I’ll be interested to see how he develops through the year. Parkland is similarly experienced on the line (less stars, but good, veteran high school players) but unlike Freedom, they’ve got a game breaker in Trey Tremba. His ability to get them chunk plays will be the difference.

Nazareth/Emmaus
You all know how high I am on Nazareth. Really good all around. If they are going to get tested here, it’s because Emmaus’s excellent defensive end combination of Ben Mercado and Mario Landino get pressure and rattle sophomore QB Peyton Falzone. Nazareth has five returning starters on the offensive line, including an all state left tackle, so I think he’ll get good protection. But if the 10th grader gets rattled, Emmaus is good enough to take advantage. But if he’s on point, I think Nazareth can flex their muscles and make a statement.

Bonus - Easton/Allentown Central Catholic
New Easton head coach hosts his alma mater in his first home game at Cottingham. They won’t win, I don’t think the very young Easton line can handle Braheem Battles and company, but if Easton can get into tempo and move the ball on the ground, the defense has a shot to contain a good but not great ACC offense. If the Rovers keep it within two touchdowns against a team that’s going to contend statewide in 4A, it’s a good sign for the good guys.
Parkland up 28-0 at halftime and dominating.

Nazareth up 21-7, missed a field goal at the end of the half. Falzone threw a 68 yard dart to Caleb Newsome, and a back shoulder throw on a roll out to Mason Kuehner and looks great. Plus a long TD run by Marquez Wimberly. Emmaus only score came after a Mario Landino strip sack.

Allentown CC up 16-7 on Easton - blocked punt and bad snap on a punt led to both touchdowns for ACC, plus a field goal as time expired going into the half.

Easton Update: The young Red Rovers cut it to 23-20 in the fourth quarter and moved the ball into ACC territory, but had to punt and ACC drove 75 yards for what seems like the game clinching touchdown with three minute to go. Still, a moral victory for the pups against the #4 team in 4A.

Last edited:
Nazareth up 21-7, missed a field goal at the end of the half. Falzone threw a 68 yard dart to Caleb Newsome, and a back shoulder throw on a roll out to Mason Kuehner and looks great. Plus a long TD run by Marquez Wimberly. Emmaus only score came after a Mario Landino strip sack.

Allentown CC up 16-7 on Easton - blocked punt and bad snap on a punt led to both touchdowns for ACC, plus a field goal as time expired going into the half.
Nazareth 42-7, Parkland 35-0. Looks like the EPC is a two-horse race. Their regular season meeting is September 15th

Late TD for ACC stretches the margin to 37-20, so the Dawgs didn’t keep it within two touchdowns, but played a good team tougher than they have in a great many years.

Last edited:
Solid all around !!! IGGY not so good again this year.
I just think PCC is that good. The talent and coaching is there this year and the passing game is leaps and bounds better this year. They beat two good teams in woodland hills and st Iggy.

Reactions: lilromeo
That is a great win for PCC. Stay injury free and keep getting better and they have a great shot to play for a championship. A TON of talent.

That is a great win for PCC. Stay injury free and keep getting better and they have a great shot to play for a championship. A TON of talent.
One of PCC receivers had an unbelievable one handed catch. PCC is well balanced this year and with the wpial being strong in 6A iron will sharpen iron and they will only help each other get better. The pieces are all there for pcc this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT